Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler"

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Elfed wrote:
    Thanks, thought lace up cycling shoes were a thing of the past.

Yeah but Taylor Phinney's made them cool again...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    If I had managed to carve out a platform for unvarnished zany truth, I'd work hard to keep it real with promiscuous product endorsements. <Barfs>

phinney-oakleys1.png
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:
    Elfed wrote:

Yeah but Taylor Phinney's made them cool again...
    But Phinney's desparately uncool as he tries far too conspicuously to be cool. It's got to be effortless.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Agreed totally.

Its why Contador has so much style.

Phinney is American isnt he? It explains a lot.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Luckily chinny is here to show us style

BlNMJO4IIAIEFS5.jpg

Oi Fabian, the old folks home called, they want their bowls shoes back
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Its why Contador has so much style.
    Nothing Contador does will ever outweigh the sheer cheesiness of his pistol salute.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Or his 8-year-old-schoolboy haircut.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Or his campness

4246230-1x1-940x940.jpg
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Aye but it's Wiggo what's going West.

Not to interrupt, but I'm watching a rerun and Thomas is pulling the bunch at the front of the entire Sky squad. 98km out, section before Arenberg for well nigh a couple of kms. Looked very odd.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Or buying a jacket from the charity shop round the corner from Peter Stringfellow's house ...

e5039cc2255756c08c0239ba9e3b5df1.jpg
  • ddraver
    mfin wrote:
    Or his campness

4246230-1x1-940x940.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I dunno why but that me scream!
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    BlMt7zmCUAAyd8p.jpg

Oi Bertie, you should have been 'ere yesterday!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ddraver wrote:
    I caught bits of it. Seemed like a good race to me. You can't blame Terpstra for making it boring, it was a heavyweight move, timed beautifully and wonderfully played by OPQS (having spannered a few recently). To be honest it is exactly what Wiggins should have done

Nice to see a few people on twitter eating a bit of humble pie served up by Wiggins and Thomas this morning. They did bloody well although as said, they need to develop a "winning move". Maybe an off season on the track doing Track Sprints for Gee and BMX Starts ("surges") for Wiggins

Wiggins would have been chased by the OPQS guys.

Terpstra's made it work because they easily had the majority in the group PLUS a sprinter who'd beat everyone.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Elfed wrote:

I'm sure his bonts were laces underneath the cover on the top.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They were: custom shoe:

shoes_sky_wiggins_bont_3_600.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    I caught bits of it. Seemed like a good race to me. You can't blame Terpstra for making it boring, it was a heavyweight move, timed beautifully and wonderfully played by OPQS (having spannered a few recently). To be honest it is exactly what Wiggins should have done

Nice to see a few people on twitter eating a bit of humble pie served up by Wiggins and Thomas this morning. They did bloody well although as said, they need to develop a "winning move". Maybe an off season on the track doing Track Sprints for Gee and BMX Starts ("surges") for Wiggins

Wiggins would have been chased by the OPQS guys.

Terpstra's made it work because they easily had the majority in the group PLUS a sprinter who'd beat everyone.

Yeah I know but it was his only shot. Think he was too knackered to do it though. Someone posted a CW link about them saying that both Wiggo and Thomas were pretty miffed, would be interesting to find out why. Apparently the HI boys have an interview with Ellingworth that might shed some light on it.
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Think people generally underestimate the value of a good sprint in classics.

They talk of Thomas and Chavanel and Stannard, even Terpstra, and they'll always do well, top 5 or whatever.

But they'll only ever win if they take a flier and get lucky. More likely, if they're on a team with someone with a fast finish, then they can do a Devolder/Terpstra.

It's very rare you get someone like Cancellara who is SO fast on the flat he can just ride people off the wheel and go solo to the finish. And even he's won two monuments with a sprint that's pretty quick.

The sprint is such a tactical ace.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    mfin wrote:
    Or his campness

4246230-1x1-940x940.jpg

Belting out 'I am what I am' as he crosses the line - True Champion.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador haters just suck on it. Shame you cant behind this legend. Your viewing pleasure would be increased 100 fold.

Feeble attempts to degrade him. You know very well I can hit you with a 1000 photos of him looking uber stylish right. I can also do some side to side comparisons with your boy Froome.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Contador haters just suck on it. Shame you cant behind this legend. Your viewing pleasure would be increased 100 fold.

Feeble attempts to degrade him. You know very well I can hit you with a 1000 photos of him looking uber stylish right. I can also do some side to side comparisons with your boy Froome.
    Why do you automatically assume everybody who isn't as massive a Contador fanboy as you are must instead be an equally massive Froome fanboy? It's not all about the pair of them...
  • Sjaak
    Sjaak Posts: 99
    This must be a first in BR forum's history with a P-R thread of over 15 pages. The Wiggins effect?

And it took an unbelievable 37 pages for Contador to get a mention! Suck on that!

325087-alberto-contador-doping.jpg
  • Pross

Don't like Froome much to be honest (or hate Contador either for that matter). You somehow managed to bring him into a thread about a race he has never ridden and which I would be totally amazed if he ever takes part in let alone competes. In doing so you opened yourself up to people taking the mickey. Let's face it, if you asked anyone who isn't a cycling fan or even most of those who are I doubt any rider would be classed as 'cool' or 'stylish'. It's a sport where function is far more important than style.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Sjaak wrote:
    This must be a first in BR forum's history with a P-R thread of over 15 pages. The Wiggins effect?

You mean aside from last years 25?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sjaak wrote:

and the previous year's 19 and 2011's 24 and 2010's 18 :wink:

It's certainly higher than previous years though. Possibly because it wasn't all over with 30km to go like it often has been in recent years.

Also, I notice that Iain failed in his attempt to go 5 years winning the race to put the spoiler thread up. The Boonen of Bike Radar posters and possibly the first sign of his imminent decline from the top?
  • mfin
    Pross wrote:

Snap! :) Same thing I said before... a warning though, once you've spotted how camp he is you spot it all the time.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    mfin wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Snap! :) Same thing I said before... a warning though, once you've spotted how camp he is you spot it all the time.

As is Piti. There's a classic shot of him 'throwing one' at Nico Portal outside the Sky bus after he lost the jersey during the 2012 Vuelta. Muchos camp.
  • mfin
    adr82 wrote:

Why do you automatically assume everybody who isn't as massive a Contador fanboy as you are must instead be an equally massive Froome fanboy? It's not all about the pair of them...

Now that's true, for instance I know for one that I can't stand Froome.

The camp thing isn't a feeble attempt to degrade him either, he just is camp (which is fair enough, he can be what he likes)...

ContadorPortrait_bb@PhSpt.jpg

Although, it does leave me feeling disturbed when I see things like this...

albertos-dog.jpg?w=250&h=187
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    edited April 2014
    ^Dirty Bertie getting a bit Keith Lard.

Bertie=Row of tents

Fabu, Fabu, Fabu golden trainers! He is Germanic at the end of the day, any pics of him in Camp David clothes listening to Andreas Gabalier?

Didn't think I'd see the day I'd find a pic of a cyclist in worse taste than pips wedding photos.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Sjaak
    Sjaak Posts: 99
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sjaak wrote:

No, that should've read 25, not 15. Damn keyboard ;-)

BTW, I know how you feel about this year's P-R, but what are your hopes for next year? Wiggins TT-ing the last 40 km to victory, or an audacious attack by Boonen or GT in the last 5km?

[/attempt getting this thread back on track]
  • frenchfighter
    edited April 2014
    mfin wrote:
    Pross wrote:

As is Piti. There's a classic shot of him 'throwing one' at Nico Portal outside the Sky bus after he lost the jersey during the 2012 Vuelta. Muchos camp.

Camp is not a word you would use for those two. But I guess the haters got to clutch at something.

Mfin, this is what Chris Froome comes home to:
    4e52c076b36711e3bae5122554e9122d_8.jpg
    She is called coco.
    Contador is the Greatest