Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler"

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Lordy, Lefevere's in a gracious mood this morning

@PatLefevere
    Top team #OPQS top @NikiTerpstra and very nice surprise @Bradleywiggins3 chapeau sir
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Sagan changed bike three times. He also had cramps at the end.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Boonen didn't hide his disappointment when talking with the media after taking a shower in the team bus. When asked if he had the legs to win a fifth Paris-Roubaix, he was somewhat offended.

"I don't think I have to say that. That was obvious," said Boonen, who was happy that at least his teammate Terpstra had taken the win. "Of course, if you're trying so hard yourself, it's only normal that at first you're a bit disappointed, then after that I'm happy, too. It was a day to forget quickly, but in the end we've won. I couldn't imagine that we would have lost the race. That would've been completely ridiculous," Boonen said.

"We were very lucky because if someone would have joined him, we would have lost. Niki is very strong late in the race, but you need some luck, too. He already did a lot of work behind the group. I'm happy we won because otherwise there would've been a lot of complaints."

"The headwind hurts but behind you it also makes the group lose speed easily. We had the bad luck that BMC was constantly well organized and chasing their own rider [Thor] Hushovd. I can't understand that," Boonen said before adding that he "had never so much bad luck as this year".

He dealt with a bike switch after he wrecked his bike in the second pavé sector (n° 27) when his chain got stuck between the two chain rings. He needed 10 kilometres to get back in the peloton and the needed some time to move back up to the front.

"The moment I'm telling the guys to go flat out on a sector [16?], we are riding away with a group, but then I flatted. It took a long time before I managed to get a new wheel. Then I had to pass all the guys again who I had just dropped," Boonen said.

The efforts to chase back didn't keep Boonen from surging forward. In between the bike switch and the flat tyre, he launched a spectacular attack. He was the first of the favourites to undertake action in the Queen of Classics, despite the headwind.

"It's always hard with a headwind. It's easier to go alone when there are crosswinds. But I recalled the edition with Stuart O'Grady and Johann Vansummeren, which was the same. That's why I thought it was possible to win when I was up the road. I knew that at sector 9 the course is turning a little so you've got more tailwind. It was a calculated move," Boonen said. The reason for his attack was the breakaway of a group with teammates during Boonen's flat tyre problems. "We had to chase with the whole team. I know that it's a very hard sector. Stijn [Vandenbergh] was leading, and I was passing Niki. I told him, 'Let's go'. When I got there, I found out I was alone. That wasn't the goal, but I figured I might as well go for it."

Much later in the race, Boonen and his breakaway companions were caught. At the cobbles of Camphin-en-Pévèle, there was an acceleration from Sep Vanmarcke (Belkin) and Fabian Cancellara (Trek Factory Racing).

"I was in fourth position during their acceleration, but then in a corner the rider in third, Lars Boom, crashed. There was a gap of 50 metres and I needed 10 kilometres to come back because I had done a lot of efforts before that," Boonen said, while also referring to an unruly, dusty derailleur at that moment.

"I've won twice over here with much worse legs than today. Now it's time to recover for a week because it hasn't quite been my spring season. We'll try to do a good second part of the season, and next year we'll try again."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen- ... oubaix-win

What a heavyweight. He will be sorely missed in time.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ctlAltDel
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    Arenberg photos not very good this year. Eisel is no Boonen.

CORVOS_00023062-226.jpg
    boonen_arenberg01_parisrou1_zps38a09709.jpg

BOONEN BOONEN BOONEN
    CORVOS_00023062-207.jpg

Sep, one of the few to turn on the taps:
    CORVOS_00023062-198.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Full marks to Boonen, Thomas and Hushovd ( even if he was being used as a sacrificial lamb) for animating the race and trying to win it rather than waiting for others to lose it. I'm glad Cancellera didn't win he didn't do enough and Vanmarke spent most of the race marking Cancellera. No doubt some will say Boonen was overly aggressive but he's never been one to wait for others to animate things and that style has won him plenty.

Sagan was obviously suffering on the cobbles but gave it a go at least. I like Wiggins and I'm glad he got a top 10 but from a neutral point of view at no point was he in a move that looked like it might give him a podium shout, as a non sprinter he has to be more aggressive even if it means finishing nowhere. He says himself he had the legs and his post race comments suggest maybe he knows he should have done more.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    When Wiggins went off as soon as they bridged I got excited but then he sat up a few seconds later. I am hoping its due to his legs being cramped. Terpstra is an expert TT rider which is why he is so good as solo moves like that. Wiggins has an even better TT - he just needs to put 150% effort (or catch them off guard) to get a gap then I really think its game over for the rest. I really thought he would do that - he knows he is not going to win the sprint. He will be back next year and I will be right behind him if he shows guts for glory.
    Yes he soon realised everyone was in his wheel and there is little point towing your group unless you are worred about the next group bridging across. Wiggo just lacks that 5 second punch you need to get some air behind you. If he could have nicked 10m then yes I agree - game over for the rest - especially when everyone has 240+ km in their legs.

As for next year - I'd love to see him back but how will it fit with his track plans? It is going to take a monumental effort to get into the GB Track squad for Rio - would prepping for next year's classics hurt his chances?

Although a bit of an anticlimax at the very end due to the lack of response from the cycling royalty in that group, big respect for Terpstra's clinical move and then gutsy effort to pull out the winning margin.

Overall a great PR.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • frenchfighter
    Not sure why so many people have mentioned Hushovd. No one in that group raced hard apart from Boonen and G. Whenever Hushovd got on the front the gap opened. He moved off the front a couple of times but that was more so that he could be safe coming into the sections.

He is likely one of the top earners in BMC and is very poor value for money.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Daz555 wrote:
    As for next year - I'd love to see him back but how will it fit with his track plans? It is going to take a monumental effort to get into the GB Track squad for Rio - would prepping for next year's classics hurt his chances?

Not sure how motivated he is for Rio but would imagine a guy like him could get in the team if he wanted. The short but intense efforts of the classics, especially Roubaix over the cobbles, lend itself well to the efforts on the track imo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Daz555 wrote:

Overall a great PR.

Pure speculation but I don't think Wiggins is that committed to getting back in the team pursuit, he just wants a chllenge to focus on and Sky don't seem to be looking to him as a leader - the best he's being offered is a free role at Paris Roubaix and a tour domestique.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Daz555 wrote:

Not sure how motivated he is for Rio but would imagine a guy like him could get in the team if he wanted. The short but intense efforts of the classics, especially Roubaix over the cobbles, lend itself well to the efforts on the track imo.
    It would be a remarkable journey for a cyclist to go from being world's best pursuit rider, to world class TTer, to Grand Tour winner, to classics contender, and back to someone who can dominate over 4 minutes! :shock:

Back to the Rio thing - yeah I doubt it is nailed on for certain that he wants another track gold. I reckon that if the individual pursuit was still available he'd go for it 100% - I think he loves the personal achievement over the team one.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Richmond Racer
    Frenchie, re your point about combining the cobbles and the track riding...possible fly in the ointment is the timing of the big international track meets in early 2015 esp the 2015 World Champs in Mar. Depends how important it is that he ride it as part of the whole process towards Rio.

They need to get him into the velodrome last part of the season. Have him do a Revolution meet or two Oct onwards. Maybe even do a 6 Day. See what comes out of all that before any definite decisions.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Watched this in the pub yesterday, what a race, brilliant viewing.

Can't believe how much work Boonen and G were doing in that break. Any why didn't Wiggins try to close down Terpstra in the end to try and sent something up for G? Fair play to Terpstra though, quality effort, well deserved win.

Already said but massive fail by Degenkolb, proper wheel sucker and then to celebrate 2nd... Boooo

Boonen and Geraint = Heavyweights! In fact anyone who had a go = heavyweight in this race. Didn't see any big attacks form Cancellara or did I miss something..
  • Richmond Racer
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Watched this in the pub yesterday, what a race, brilliant viewing.

Can't believe how much work Boonen and G were doing in that break. Any why didn't Wiggins try to close down Terpstra in the end to try and sent something up for G? Fair play to Terpstra though, quality effort, well deserved win.

Already said but massive fail by Degenkolb, proper wheel sucker and then to celebrate 2nd... Boooo

Boonen and Geraint = Heavyweights! In fact anyone who had a go = heavyweight in this race. Didn't see any big attacks form Cancellara or did I miss something..

G was cooked by that point
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Degenkolb had a team mate to do the work - Saving himself was sensible.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I hope Wiggo's head has been well and truly turned, and that his sole attention next year is on the cobbles, and not just on Roubaix. I bet he's thinking he could challenge at Flanders now too.

I'd love to see him on the track in Rio, but I'd love it even more if he had a few more good attempts at the classics.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    If Degenkolb had committed to the chase, and then been beaten in the sprint we'd be mocking his naivety. The numbers won out, as they often do.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    I cant help but wish we had got to see a decade of Wiggins minus psychological issues and fully commited.

The most versatile engine of his generation.

From a British perspective the two highlights of the race for me was the through and off from G and Wiggins to haul the second group back on with 11k ish to go. That ultimately burnt them both.

Maybe if the two groups had stayed together, the dig that Wiggins had towards the end would have stuck and he would have dragged only the strongest with him.

The second and maybe odd highlight is that Luke Rowe looks worringly at ease on the cobbles for a young lad.

Turns out Wiggins is welcome in Roubaix ;-)
  • frenchfighter
    Degenkolb was asked by the commentator about his celebrating 2nd and he said it was because it is his first podium in a monument. He is only 25. He has a nice voice.

I don't think he was wrong to celebrate the win but agree he was riding like a sprinter not a classics rider. He is remarkably strong and versatile - could potentially be superb. He needs to shave his moustache first.
    tom3 wrote:
    From a British perspective the two highlights of the race for me was the through and off from G and Wiggins to haul the second group back on with 11k ish to go. That ultimately burnt them both.

So it was Boonen and Terpstra as well as G and W closing it down - Terpstra did most of the work and the boys up front didnt want to work with Cancellara. Also - cyclocross and lightweight in these races 'Boom' - crashed and caused a gap at an important point.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I caught bits of it. Seemed like a good race to me. You can't blame Terpstra for making it boring, it was a heavyweight move, timed beautifully and wonderfully played by OPQS (having spannered a few recently). To be honest it is exactly what Wiggins should have done

Nice to see a few people on twitter eating a bit of humble pie served up by Wiggins and Thomas this morning. They did bloody well although as said, they need to develop a "winning move". Maybe an off season on the track doing Track Sprints for Gee and BMX Starts ("surges") for Wiggins
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    I love this photo.
    SPTDW130.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    ^whose is that, Frenchie?
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter

The boss. Tim De Waele.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer

The boss. Tim De Waele.

Thanks
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    It's now RR's Wallpaper... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer
    ddraver wrote:
    It's now RR's Wallpaper... ;)

ummm..... :oops:
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    What stage of the race did Wiggins open that gap on the cobbles, I don't remember seeing it?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Did Carlton say, just before the leaders entered the Forest of Arenberg, that it was one of 3 categorised climbs on the route?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter

Got to love Boonen' attack at 1.11. Jumps in front of his teammate who blocks everyone else behind! Bone shaker.

The view of Boonen from behind is unique - long huge legs, small waist, long shorts, hunched back. Unmistakably Boonen, pure power.

He rode it without gloves again. Only guy in the front group to do so.
    Contador is the Greatest