Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Great shots, Greased.
    ^Start a petition, ThomThom :wink:

I'd sign it.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Thanks for the slick pics, greased. What did this sound like?

13872147784_2dfe02b275.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm not a Biggles fan at all, but he's a fine rider.

I thought he was a bit over rated at High Horse, and that overrated thing has followed him to Sky. He's more of a Gerrans / Pozzato type rider than anything - Very good, capable of a big result but shouldn't be in the top couple of tiers for single day races.

If he went somewhere else it should be to Garmin - I reckon the American stylings would suit him.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Some of my photos...

13872158344_669235ebfc.jpg

This should be considered up there with that photo of fairies, the Loch Ness monster or UFOs. I have to admire your Photoshop skills but I'll never believe a Lampre rider was in that race.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    What did this sound like?

I'm not sure, what do you mean?
  • Pross wrote:
    This should be considered up there with that photo of fairies, the Loch Ness monster or UFOs. I have to admire your Photoshop skills but I'll never believe a Lampre rider was in that race.

:D

here you go, here's another (although it could be the same rider...)

13877442133_1b6d764457.jpg
  • iainf72
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Pippo looking lean there. Showing little tho. Doesnt look like he has double wrapped bars. Good quality photos. Have you got one of Sep?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

First time ive seen it. Would be interested to know more info.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Have you got one of Sep?

3rd photo, alongside Cancellara. Looks like they are out for a training run.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think he means what did it sound like as he went past.
  • Pross
    iainf72 wrote:

First time ive seen it. Would be interested to know more info.

They're vets, surely they know some drug company that could analyse them? Wonder if they know who dropped them? That said they could have planted them and just be getting some publicity.
  • frenchfighter
    Have you got one of Sep?

3rd photo, alongside Cancellara. Looks like they are out for a training run.

:oops:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Does anyone have any proof that EBH isn't happy at Sky?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Strongly suspect EBH is not capable of being anything other than good and nice ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ddraver wrote:
    Strongly suspect EBH is not capable of being anything other than good and nice ;)

I don't think he was even capable of being good AND nice until his brain cell divided.
  • coriordan wrote:

Oh right. Well Terpsta said something along the lines of "uuuuggghhhhmmmmhemmmegrrrr..."

Actually you can't hear much above the noise of the helicopters and other race vehicles. And the bikes make quite a bit of noise on the pave (when they are riding on it). Cancellara and Vanmarcke were talking to each other when they came past me, but I couldn't hear what they were saying.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Think it's kind of best for everyone if EBH goes on a sporting level. However bet he's paid well

Also on Sagan think he's never going to be the cobbled classic great people are saying more a nearly man. He just looks a little lost sometimes. Think he should stick to points jerseys in gt's as he could well be very hard to beat for the next 5+ years
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Also on Sagan think he's never going to be the cobbled classic great people are saying more a nearly man. He just looks a little lost sometimes. Think he should stick to points jerseys in gt's as he could well be very hard to beat for the next 5+ years
    He is 24. Just a baby in cycling terms.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Pross
    And needs a Classics squad around him. He needs to change teams.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    coriordan wrote:

Oh right. Well Terpsta said something along the lines of "uuuuggghhhhmmmmhemmmegrrrr..."

Actually you can't hear much above the noise of the helicopters and other race vehicles. And the bikes make quite a bit of noise on the pave (when they are riding on it). Cancellara and Vanmarcke were talking to each other when they came past me, but I couldn't hear what they were saying.

Yes, Chinny and Sep look remarkably relaxed, as if they're on a club ride. What section was this?

edit: sector..
  • skylla wrote:
    Yes, Chinny and Sep look remarkably relaxed, as if they're on a club ride. What section was this?

edit: sector..

3, Gruson.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Daz555 wrote:

He's been in the WT peloton for years though - not as if he's just stepped up from the U23s.

Playing devil's advocate, is Sagan improved as a rider in 2014 compared to say 2012 when he strolled the green jersey amongst other accomplishments? He's now placing higher in the big classics and has won G-W and E3 since then. For me he needs to regain something that appears to have been lost.
  • iainf72
    Daz555 wrote:

He's been in the WT peloton for years though - not as if he's just stepped up from the U23s.

Playing devil's advocate, is Sagan improved as a rider in 2014 compared to say 2012 when he strolled the green jersey amongst other accomplishments? He's now placing higher in the big classics and has won G-W and E3 since then. For me he needs to regain something that appears to have been lost.

Winning a classic is significantly more difficult than winning a novelty jersey in the Tour.

At his age Boonen and Chinny hadn't won P-R or Flanders. I think he needs a stronger team.
  • frenchfighter
    Anyone that argues Sagan is falling short or not that good really, really is in cloud cuckoo land.

FYI, his ranking for the last five years is 30th, 8th, 5th, 3rd, 4th (2014).
    He will perform the entire year as well. Entertaining the fans with attacking riding and impressive results.
    He has 4 wins this year which places him 13th in the whole World. Maybe he could have won a touch more but he has consistently placed hence his ranking.
    In 2013 he had more wins than anyone else.
    In 2012 he had more wins than anyone else bar Greipel.
    In 2011 he had more wins than anyone else bar Kittel and Gilbert.
    As a neo pro in 2010 he had 5 wins.

He is 24 years old. He has a palmares already that 75% of the pro peloton can only dream of achieving in their entire career. He wasn't cosseted at Liquigas like Sky do to their younger riders hence why he has a palmares, fan base and salary that is a ton larger.

The guy is an UBER Heavyweight rider and he has one of the worst teams in the PT.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • argyllflyer
    iainf72 wrote:

Winning a classic is significantly more difficult than winning a novelty jersey in the Tour.

At his age Boonen and Chinny hadn't won P-R or Flanders. I think he needs a stronger team.

But take Saturday - was Terpstra the strongest rider in the race? Good fortune plays a role to a degree. He'd kept his powder dry and went when everyone else seemed spent.

Sagan being a marked man means he'll quickly have company when trying to go long against the very best and I don't think he's got the finish just now to win against anyone other than desperado rouleurs such as at E3. But that's the beauty of the sport - I could be proved wrong next time round!
  • iainf72
    He's had a lot of misfortune in the classics. Finished by E3 and P-R on a team mates bike, so he's been unlucky.

It was his first attempt at trying to perform well in P-R and top 10'd, so that's not bad.
  • But take Saturday - was Terpstra the strongest rider in the race? Good fortune plays a role to a degree. He'd kept his powder dry and went when everyone else seemed spent.

Not the strongest rider, but certainly on the strongest team. It makes a world of difference if your team has 3 ways of winning a race instead of just the one (not to take away from an excellent ride by Niki of course).
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I'm inclined to agree with Iain.

And he's had bugger all help from his team over the last few weeks, they've been as much help as a chocolate fireguard.

He needs a stronger team, and he needs to learn from experience from these races.
  • argyllflyer
    edited April 2014
    Anyone that argues Sagan is falling short or not that good really, really is in cloud cuckoo land.

FYI, his ranking for the last five years is 30th, 8th, 5th, 3rd, 4th (2014).
    He will perform the entire year as well. Entertaining the fans with attacking riding and impressive results.
    He has 4 wins this year which places him 13th in the whole World. Maybe he could have won a touch more but he has consistently placed hence his ranking.
    In 2013 he had more wins than anyone else.
    In 2012 he had more wins than anyone else bar Greipel.
    In 2011 he had more wins than anyone else bar Kittel and Gilbert.
    As a neo pro in 2010 he had 5 wins.

He is 24 years old. He has a palmares already that 75% of the pro peloton can only dream of achieving in their entire career. He wasn't cosseted at Liquigas like Sky do to their younger riders hence why he has a palmares, fan base and salary that is a ton larger.

The guy is an UBER Heavyweight rider and he has one of the worst teams in the PT.

There's a great phrase that statistics are like mini skirts - give you good ideas but hide the most important thing.

Sagan's victories come across the entire year as you say. This means he is often beating riders (or picking up placings) not at peak fitness or not targetting those races. If he went to the Vuelta more often he'd probably have another 10+ stage wins.

Sagan picked up a hefty chunk of CQ points last year from winning G-W and Montreal, as a well as a decent haul from his losses to Cancellara at E3 and Flanders and his 2nd at M-SR and his win a year ago at Brabanste Pijl.

Cancellara won P-R in his first year riding at the top level though he had been top 10 before. He had just turned 25.