Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler"

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    mfin wrote:
    Mfin, this is what Chris Froome comes home to:
    10013109_468700876595014_591639485_a.jpg

Thanks, that's funny, I really don't like Chris Froome!

Neither do I. I live in hope he'll go and ride for MTN Qhubeka.

:wink:

In fairness my parents cat looks like that

She is easily the most vicious animal I ve ever met. We got her to commit serial murder on the rabbits in the garden and she has proven her self very good at that. She was chosen from the resuce home becasue she ran up her previous owners town and bit her hard on the breast.

We call her Psycho...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Terpstra's put his ride on Strava for those of you who are into such things

http://app.strava.com/activities/130432764
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Sjaak
    Sjaak Posts: 99
    Worth bookmarking - he covers a reasonable number of races and a lot of his photos are not too much of the action which gives a nice feel and is different to the rest. He will also write a piece at the beginning which is interesting. See the Pais Vasco recent ones for example.

AFAIA it's not just Emiliano & Daniel doing the photography. Who were you thinking of?
  • Sjaak
    Sjaak Posts: 99
    RichN95 wrote:

Surprised by the total elevation of over 1400m
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Sjaak wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Surprised by the total elevation of over 1400m

Back in the old days, there were proper climbs in P-R
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

I assume this is just before the guy on the right bottled him in the knackers for being a dick?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Sjaak wrote:
    Worth bookmarking - he covers a reasonable number of races and a lot of his photos are not too much of the action which gives a nice feel and is different to the rest. He will also write a piece at the beginning which is interesting. See the Pais Vasco recent ones for example.

AFAIA it's not just Emiliano & Daniel doing the photography. Who were you thinking of?

Yeah you are right, those two. If there are others I am not aware.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Changing of the guard next year. I'd like to see Wiggins up there and who knows, if it motivates him anything is possible. But I see it being the next generation taking over. They were up there this year but I think either Sep, Degenkolb or Sagan to win. Geraint along with Stannard and / or Rowe in contention. Maybe Phinney can finally show this promise Kirby keeps (literally) shouting about
    Watch out for Arnaud Demare as well.

What about Jempy Drucker??

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    ff points ref wiggo are bang on in my book.

Think Sky need rid of EBH, he's holding them back in the development of there classics team. Just goes to show the massive difference in what it takes to be great in the classics over stage racing.

Think Sky are growing and learning as the years go by and starting to push younger riders towards the classics over GTs which IMHO they didn't in the past. Are they finally getting it?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Pross wrote:
    Changing of the guard next year. I'd like to see Wiggins up there and who knows, if it motivates him anything is possible. But I see it being the next generation taking over. They were up there this year but I think either Sep, Degenkolb or Sagan to win. Geraint along with Stannard and / or Rowe in contention. Maybe Phinney can finally show this promise Kirby keeps (literally) shouting about

I think the changing of the guard was this year to be honest. It was the year when no one rider could force a definitive selection. That said I don't see how the likes of Degenkolb, Vanmarcke, or Sagan are more likely to win next year. I think next year will return to the normal in terms of the size of the group in the last 10km. If there is a bigger selection then I'd still expect Boonen and Cancellara to be there ahead of Sagan and Degenkolb.

When you think that next year you could have Stannard, Vanmarcke, Wiggins, Cancellara, probably Thomas, and maybe Phinney all knowing that they have to force a bigger selection than this year, that's a huge amount of horsepower determined to distance the likes of Sagan and Degenkolb. Although Sagan was there at the end I don't think he was as comfortable as the others on the cobbles. He could improve for next year though.

Can't wait to see what Stannard can do.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841

Definitely bookmarked him. Great to see a different view of the events. Thanks.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Great photos, show the atmosphere very well.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762

Think Sky need rid of EBH, he's holding them back in the development of there classics team. Just goes to show the massive difference in what it takes to be great in the classics over stage racing.

Think Sky are growing and learning as the years go by and starting to push younger riders towards the classics over GTs which IMHO they didn't in the past. Are they finally getting it?

They don't need rid of him, they just need to let him focus on one thing. It's impossible for him to be very good over cobbles, and the hilly one dayers, then have him wok as 2nd last man in mountain trains as he has been this year, and then expect him to have success in sprints too. He has been the ultimate sacrificial lamb, and he seems happy enough to do it.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643

Interesting! Is that all you can muster Frenchie?! The Pais Vasco commentary was awesome! I like their approach, captures a different aspect of a race from the other photographers.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Anyone who finishes in the top 10 of any PR is capable of winning it in my view. This does not mean that Wiggo or G will win it but it does mean they are the sort of rider who you want in your squad - they are so versatile and their range of capability is vast.

PR is not like a GT - you can't put your money on one horse or even two. You need multiple options and rider styles who can live with the million different kinds of race which can evolve.

With Wiggo tho - who knows? I'd say it is as likely as him being a PR contender next year as it is him trying to win the rainbow jersey in the 4k pursuit. I doubt be knows himself, and even if he does, he's likely to change his mind another 4 times. :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    iainf72 wrote:

If Wiggins is at Sky next year, and wants to ride PR, would Sky risk upsetting GT? To me, he's a better bet than BW to win, and even then it's still an outside shout. Wiggins might be better next year but did anyone see anything which would indicate he'd ride away from the cobble guys? And if Stannard gets to the race...

Had this race actually had a selection and not a lot of softpeddaling (people tend to forget that there was quite a lot of that is this edition..) Wiggo would never have been in the front. GT is the man to solely go for which it also was in this race. Sky said that pre race.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Could Stannard do a Terpstra, given similar (albeit unlikely force of numbers) circumstances? If not, why?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    bobones wrote:

Interesting, thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Turfle wrote:

They don't need rid of him, they just need to let him focus on one thing. It's impossible for him to be very good over cobbles, and the hilly one dayers, then have him wok as 2nd last man in mountain trains as he has been this year, and then expect him to have success in sprints too. He has been the ultimate sacrificial lamb, and he seems happy enough to do it.

I put £20 of BR forum currency on the table that Sky will let him go this year.

He's not flourishing there. Better for him to go somewhere else - maybe a smaller team - where they can try to work out how to get the best of him. Maybe he needs a change of scene himself.

He's lost his top end in sprinting, even against riders you'd think he should be able to beat. His positioning on the cobbles is...bad....and frankly they have better riders now starting to show what they can do and out-performing him.

(sorry, EBH, gotta be brutal)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Maybe he should employ Paul Kimmage as his coach?
  • Richmond Racer
    andyp wrote:
    Maybe he should employ Paul Kimmage as his coach?

Blurgh
  • frenchfighter

Another rider gets burned and dropped at Sky.

100% certain he would have been more successful if he had stayed at a still existent HTC team. I guess he was happy to earn a packet for a few years though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    My auntie would be my uncle if she had balls.
  • Richmond Racer

Another rider gets burned and dropped at Sky.

100% certain he would have been more successful if he had stayed at a still existent HTC team. I guess he was happy to earn a packet for a few years though.

ITS ALL MY FAULT. I SHOULD NEVER HAVE PLACED THE BET.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Turfle wrote:

He's not flourishing there. Better for him to go somewhere else - maybe a smaller team - where they can try to work out how to get the best of him. Maybe he needs a change of scene himself.

He's lost his top end in sprinting, even against riders you'd think he should be able to beat. His positioning on the cobbles is...bad....and frankly they have better riders now starting to show what they can do and out-performing him.

(sorry, EBH, gotta be brutal)

I've said all along the cobbles just don't suit him; for whatever reason his power just doesn't translate to them (and he's not aggressive enough). What he should be, is a brilliant attacking rider on hard, hilly courses. What he is, is a rider who rarely gets a chance to show on his best terrain, and whose sprint and explosion have been dulled by improving his climbing. He's just not selfish enough. Same as G.

I'm hoping he gets a completely free hand in the Giro; if he does, I'm expecting a rebirth of the attacking EBH. Get in breaks, contest sprints without having turned himself inside out in the mountains, and unleash him on the hilly stages. Like the 2011 Tour de France.

I don't think he has to leave Sky to get the best out of himself, he just has to say he doesn't want to be in the Tour team! But he's too good a soldier.
  • Some of my photos...

13872158344_669235ebfc.jpg

13872155094_764be3939c.jpg

13871797253_7f256a4e46.jpg

13872147784_2dfe02b275.jpg

13871752405_68b059ace8.jpg

13871783853_58b02c57a4.jpg
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Great shots.

Carrefour shouldn't even be considered a pavé section anymore.
  • Richmond Racer
    ^Start a petition, ThomThom :wink:

Great shots, Greased
  • ThomThom wrote:
    Great shots.
    Great shots, Greased
    Thanks. :D
    ThomThom wrote:
    Carrefour shouldn't even be considered a pavé section anymore.
    It's actually Sector 3, Gruson. But I get your point. Hem is just as bad, or easy depending on which way you look at it.