Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler"

Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Who are admins in here?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    Channelling your inner Kelly well there, Iain.

Certaintly.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    ThomThom wrote:
    I wish someone would have banned that idiot before he ruined 2nd half as well of the PL match. That really made me mad. Why would anyone do that? 3 times?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOb9WgT_jt1NLvpQatE_5Rf3zM250_-uomd94CiLSWmdXeEfTY

Stop being a prick.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Thought it was a very good race. Really brave attack by Terpstra brought him a deserved win. I know some people were disappointed that a decent chase wasn't organised, but I think everyone was knackered and the attack by Terpstra was perfectly timed. As much as anything, at that stage of P-R, I would expect mental strength to be almost as important as the legs, and the group didn't know how/couldn't respond.

Fair dos to Wiggins, I'm not a great fan but he gave that a proper go. I think next year he could pull it off.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    RichN95 wrote:
    Lampre should be concerned that the only time anyone saw one of their riders was in the advert breaks.

I saw a close up of Pip on his own out the back with around 20km to go.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    I wish someone would have banned that idiot before he ruined 2nd half as well of the PL match. That really made me mad. Why would anyone do that? 3 times?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOb9WgT_jt1NLvpQatE_5Rf3zM250_-uomd94CiLSWmdXeEfTY

Stop being a prick.

+1
    I'm not a footy fan but you're acting a tw@t. Don't keep compounding your embarrassment with stupid posts.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Fair dos to Wiggins, I'm not a great fan but he gave that a proper go. I think next year he could pull it off.

^This. He's not my favourite off the bike, but by god he is awesome on it when he can be bothered to pull his finger out.
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Lampre should be concerned that the only time anyone saw one of their riders was in the advert breaks.

I think he had a mechanical. That was the only time I saw a Lampre all day apart for dear old Rui every ad break.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    Aye, Rick made the threat and failed to follow through. You get some prize ar$es on the Internet.
  • Pross
    mfin wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

People can only complain if you weren't watching the race really, as watching the race and following a thread at the same time is pretty pointless really.

Hey?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

^This. He's not my favourite off the bike, but by god he is awesome on it when he can be bothered to pull his finger out.
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I think he had a mechanical. That was the only time I saw a Lampre all day apart for dear old Rui every ad break.

Perhaps Rui for the Ardennes?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    They should be very good in the Ardennes. Costa and Ulissi, and Cunego is in decent form too.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Not much talk about Vanmarcke who is surely going to win this race in years to come. I liked the part where Cancellera was marking him - the old pro and the young prodigy. Shame they forgot about everyone else.

Some interesting tactics at play, but ultimately a lesson for the sprinters - it is never a sprint unless you have a team with you at the end, or you chase a lot of attacks.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Perhaps Rui for the Ardennes?

Perhaps, but we won't see his winning attack. They'll cut to an ad break and we'll see his Eurotrash Mewida aewodynamic passion wealising advert instead.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Turfle
    edited April 2014
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Not much talk about Vanmarcke who is surely going to win this race in years to come. I liked the part where Cancellera was marking him - the old pro and the young prodigy. Shame they forgot about everyone else.

Some interesting tactics at play, but ultimately a lesson for the sprinters - it is never a sprint unless you have a team with you at the end, or you chase a lot of attacks.

Vanmarcke is great. The only worry is that he doesn't seem to have a way to beat Cancellara (he's hardly alone there), and Cancellara seems to view him as opponent #1.
  • Perhaps Rui for the Ardennes?

Perhaps, but we won't see his winning attack. They'll cut to an ad break and we'll see his Eurotrash Mewida aewodynamic passion wealising advert instead.

Where he sounds like a bond villain.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Turfle wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Vanmarcke is great. The only worry is that he doesn't seem to have a way to beat Cancellara (he's hardly alone there), and Cancellara seems to view him as opponent #1.

He doesn't have a way of beating him yet, but if nothing else, he can use the age strategy - Cancellera hasn't got that many years left.
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    Promising ride by Geraint, despite using up a lot of energy in the break and bridging the gap he was still there at the very end. Perhaps if he gets lucky or rides a smarter race he could win one of these big one day races.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Needs to develop a faster turn of speed.
  • Turfle
    He said earlier in the year that from 2015 he would concentrate on stage races more than the classics. I wonder if a relatively accident free classics season has changed his mind somewhat.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    Disappointed with Degenkolb who did next to no work and celebrated winning the sprint for second.
    I don’t think he’s yet realised he’s more like Sagan than Kittel.
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'd have like the racing to be a bit less tentative. The way Boonen's group dangled, then went back, then away again. If they'd got some more organisation, it might have forced some more action from the chasing group, but instead it ended up with the group just dangling.
    There were way too many people around in the last 50km too. And aside from Sep on the Carrefour section, I didn’t get that "wow thats amazing" feeling I get when you see someone in full flow on the cobbles. It did split up but didn't shred to pieces
    Sounds like, in contrast to many here, you prefer everything clearer cut before the finish, the strongest or those with the best tactics to win. That’s okay sometimes, but I like the idea of an opportunist winning a classic – he has to be strong on the day too and often it’s his only chance of glory – surely that’s part of the attraction of these one-day races.
    Turfle wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Not much talk about Vanmarcke who is surely going to win this race in years to come.
    Vanmarcke is great.
    I too think he could become the new De Vlaeminck/Boonen. In future years for Flanders and Roubaix – Vanmarcke versus Sagan/Degenkolb/Stybar/Demare/Van Avermaet/Vandenbergh/Langeveld?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    I thought this year was pretty good. Lot's of strong riders in the finish, lots of tension, but there was ultimately more anticipation than actual racing. The excitement slowly faded as it became clear nobody was going to try and get to Terpstra.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Vanmarcke needs a faster sprint.

He doesn't want to be a Hoste.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    knedlicky wrote:
    I too think he could become the new De Vlaeminck/Boonen. In future years for Flanders and Roubaix – Vanmarcke versus Sagan/Degenkolb/Stybar/Demare/Van Avermaet/Vandenbergh/Langeveld?

When the undisputed classic kings step down then it is going to be an interesting time. I just hope that those that are up there show some class and desire and ride to create memories for the fans and a rock solid palmares.
    knedlicky wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Disappointed with Degenkolb who did next to no work and celebrated winning the sprint for second.
    I don’t think he’s yet realised he’s more like Sagan than Kittel.

I really hope he focuses more and more on the one day races. Kittel is a supreme sprinter so they dont really need a second one with a lot of focus - he will always have a good enough sprint when it matters.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “I was near the front, if not at the front, on every section of cobbles until the section before the forest, then I crashed into a field,”

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-resul ... s-amazing/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The weather played a part in enabling there to be a larger than usual number of contenders towards the end. In that respect it might have been Wiggins best shot, as I doubt he'd have been there in grimmer conditions.

I was slightly disappointed we were denied the rarity of a mass bunch sprint from a dozen riders, but Terpstra went at the right time and he's hardly a Servais Knaven type of rider. If it had been Wiggins that had got away and solo'd to the line nobody would be saying just another average P-R, eh?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    If it had been Wiggins that had got away and solo'd to the line nobody would be saying just another average P-R, eh?

Iain would have marked it down a point. :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ed Pickering has some good analysis on the Comics website.

I think the problem both Wiggins and G would have is they don't have a jump of note. If they arrive at the finish with Boonen, Sagan, Chinny or even Sep they're not going to win. I know Wiggins won that sprint in Romandie but still

Maybe that's why there is focus on Biggles, at least he can sprint. Pity about the rest.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    iainf72 wrote:
    Ed Pickering has some good analysis on the Comics website.

I think the problem both Wiggins and G would have is they don't have a jump of note. If they arrive at the finish with Boonen, Sagan, Chinny or even Sep they're not going to win. I know Wiggins won that sprint in Romandie but still

Maybe that's why there is focus on Biggles, at least he can sprint. Pity about the rest.

More generally, could either jump clear like Terpstra?

How much of this winning move depended on fast twitching, fast thinking, or fast QS dance manhoovers?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Really enjoyed the race. Till the final 2km, it was anyone's guess re the winner.

Enjoyable man bag-waving from Boonen and Fabs

Terpstra deserved that win. As per Frenchie's former signature, fortune favours the brave
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Really enjoyed the race. Till the final 2km, it was anyone's guess re the winner.

Enjoyable man bag-waving from Boonen and Fabs

Terpstra deserved that win. As per Frenchie's former signature, fortune favours the brave

I really wish they would sod off with that. Everyone is riding their own race, chaps. They are not there to help you win.