Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler"

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Pross wrote:
    Belting out 'I am what I am' as he crosses the line - True Champion.

I have him down as an emphatically NSFW 'Talk to the Hand', merchant.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Changing of the guard next year. I'd like to see Wiggins up there and who knows, if it motivates him anything is possible. But I see it being the next generation taking over. They were up there this year but I think either Sep, Degenkolb or Sagan to win. Geraint along with Stannard and / or Rowe in contention. Maybe Phinney can finally show this promise Kirby keeps (literally) shouting about
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Sjaak
    Sjaak Posts: 99
    I understand the Phinney-shouts coming from a eurosport commentator, but my money would be on Sep.
  • Sjaak
    Sjaak Posts: 99
    Photo: BrakeThrough Media | brakethroughmedia.com

36_20140413_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_20140413_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_3S3A7326.jpg
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Sjaak wrote:
    I understand the Phinney-shouts coming from a eurosport commentator, but my money would be on Sep.

From Kirby, from the journos hailing him as the future of P-R....I'm simply not convinced by Phinney, personally...

Sep, on the other hand, fer shure.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Next year will be the Sep, Sagan, Chinny, Boonen (or new Boonen) show

If Wiggins is at Sky next year, and wants to ride PR, would Sky risk upsetting GT? To me, he's a better bet than BW to win, and even then it's still an outside shout. Wiggins might be better next year but did anyone see anything which would indicate he'd ride away from the cobble guys? And if Stannard gets to the race...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Changing of the guard next year. I'd like to see Wiggins up there and who knows, if it motivates him anything is possible. But I see it being the next generation taking over. They were up there this year but I think either Sep, Degenkolb or Sagan to win. Geraint along with Stannard and / or Rowe in contention. Maybe Phinney can finally show this promise Kirby keeps (literally) shouting about
    Watch out for Arnaud Demare as well.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    iainf72 wrote:

If Wiggins is at Sky next year, and wants to ride PR, would Sky risk upsetting GT? To me, he's a better bet than BW to win, and even then it's still an outside shout. Wiggins might be better next year but did anyone see anything which would indicate he'd ride away from the cobble guys? And if Stannard gets to the race...

Dunno. Depends. G - and Sky (according to Ellingworth interview with Birnie in latest Cycling Podcast) think he's more suited to Flanders as well as E3, and they seem to think Stan's more suited to P-R. They dont nail it down to one rider or nothing anyway - cant do that. G and Wiggins were both riding for EBH on sunday, and, well....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:

Surely Sky have to have as many people in the finale as possible and try and win like Terpstra did. Unless they conjure up someone with a sprint finish from somewhere.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Mfin, this is what Chris Froome comes home to:
    10013109_468700876595014_591639485_a.jpg

Thanks, that's funny, I really don't like Chris Froome!
  • Macaloon
    iainf72 wrote:

Dunno. Depends. G - and Sky (according to Ellingworth interview with Birnie in latest Cycling Podcast) think he's more suited to Flanders as well as E3, and they seem to think Stan's more suited to P-R. They dont nail it down to one rider or nothing anyway - cant do that. G and Wiggins were both riding for EBH on sunday, and, well....

Well I saw Thomas on the front far more than any final participant than Boonen; far too much. Perhaps riding selflessly for EBH explains it. Otherwise, unwise.
  • Richmond Racer
    mfin wrote:

Neither do I. I live in hope he'll go and ride for MTN Qhubeka.

:wink:
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Watch out for Arnaud Demare as well.

Good call, he was unlucky this year.
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Well I saw Thomas on the front far more than any final participant than Boonen; far too much. Perhaps riding selflessly for EBH explains it. Otherwise, unwise.

During which EBH decided to go and have a closer inspection of the flowers in some field. Regrettably.
  • frenchfighter
    mfin wrote:

http://instagram.com/p/lvHEPxsoOw/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Stuyven was incredibly impressive this year I thought. Though maybe a couple years away from contending for the win.
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Surely Sky have to have as many people in the finale as possible and try and win like Terpstra did. Unless they conjure up someone with a sprint finish from somewhere.

Swift or Rowe but I suspect Swift is doomed to be the sprint option at minor stage races. I'd agree with whoever said above that Geraint's better bet is Flanders. He looks capable of riding away on one of the climbs and once out he can sustain it, probably the same for Stannard and maybe even Wiggins. The hill provides that opportunity without a kick or that sudden surge of intense power that Cancellara used to use.
  • Richmond Racer
    Turfle wrote:
    Stuyven was incredibly impressive this year I thought. Though maybe a couple years away from contending for the win.

Really good. One of the most successful U23 riders and one looking undaunted by the step-up to WT
  • Richmond Racer
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Swift or Rowe but I suspect Swift is doomed to be the sprint option at minor stage races. I'd agree with whoever said above that Geraint's better bet is Flanders. He looks capable of riding away on one of the climbs and once out he can sustain it, probably the same for Stannard and maybe even Wiggins. The hill provides that opportunity without a kick or that sudden surge of intense power that Cancellara used to use.

Swifty also wants to keep away from the cobbles for a while. He specifically asked not to do the cobbles this season. Given his injury strewn career, he wants the best shot at staying upright for a while and showing what he can do.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    Wiggins might be better next year but did anyone see anything which would indicate he'd ride away from the cobble guys?

Yeah I reckon Wiggins can drop all of them if he wanted. He just needs the mind and the positioning.

tumblr_n3zu7wqTDE1s4sg5zo1_1280.jpg

One team leader at Roubix is not a good idea. You need two to three then decide in the finale.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Turfle wrote:

Really good. One of the most successful U23 riders and one looking undaunted by the step-up to WT

Phinney won U23 PR twice. He has to shake a leg now. Jungels also won it though - like that kid.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    iainf72 wrote:
    Wiggins might be better next year but did anyone see anything which would indicate he'd ride away from the cobble guys?

Yeah I reckon Wiggins can drop all of them if he wanted. He just needs the mind and the positioning.

tumblr_n3zu7wqTDE1s4sg5zo1_1280.jpg

One team leader at Roubix is not a good idea. You need two to three then decide in the finale.

I agree with this. You want a few options at the finish and in the perfect world one of them will have a decent sprint so they can sit on the chasers.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    And to be fair, Swift has also gone to a number of non-minor races as sprinter (Tour de France, Vuelta, California, Suisse, MSR, Pais Vasco). And I bet he'll be protected at Amstel Gold this weekend too. He's just not fast enough in big sprints to have a team built around him.
  • Pross
    Turfle wrote:
    And to be fair, Swift has also gone to a number of non-minor races as sprinter (Tour de France, Vuelta, California, Suisse, MSR, Pais Vasco). And I bet he'll be protected at Amstel Gold this weekend too. He's just not fast enough in big sprints to have a team built around him.

Yep, I'm not dissing him. I just think he's got the makings of a Classics rider and he isn't really a bunch sprinter. Better to make the decision as early as possible. Sunday will be interesting, the current finish could suit him but I'm not sure he is quite capable of hanging on to the likes of Valverde or Kwia up the Cauberg the final time. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841

Cracking set of photos. Thanks for sharing - not seen that site before.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • frenchfighter
    Worth bookmarking - he covers a reasonable number of races and a lot of his photos are not too much of the action which gives a nice feel and is different to the rest. He will also write a piece at the beginning which is interesting. See the Pais Vasco recent ones for example.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    During which EBH decided to go and have a closer inspection of the flowers in some field. Regrettably.

9a76684b764488ca5a0dd336b25671a8.jpg?itok=ay9xxToT

I like flowers more than people