Scott Foil - Westbrook Cycles

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I use a Powertap G3. Probably not very relevant to the bike being a Scot Foil though... ;-)
  • neeb wrote:
    I use a Powertap G3. Probably not very relevant to the bike being a Scot Foil though... ;-)

In all honesty it was aimed at Power2Max users, and which setup they went for! However, thank you for that! ;)
  • I've run a P2Max on a Rotor 3D on a Foil. 130mm BCD version.

I'm presently running a warranty surplus Stages on Shimano, and that fits fine.

Paul
  • I run a Power2Max on a Rotor 3D 110BCD, 50/34 OCP3 rings
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • I run a Power2Max on a Rotor 3D 110BCD, 50/34 OCP3 rings
    paul2718 wrote:
    I've run a P2Max on a Rotor 3D on a Foil. 130mm BCD version.

I'm presently running a warranty surplus Stages on Shimano, and that fits fine.

Paul

I'm considering going for the Rotor 3D (50/34), although, I'm unsure which rings to go for (as I presume you can't use shimano), and if I need a BB adaptor or not, if so which one?

Cheers

Josh
  • I use Rotor rings on mine but I believe that you can use any rings with the correct BCD, either 130 for standard or 110 for compact.
    As for the bottom bracket you won't need an adaptor as the one already fitted to the Foil is compatible.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I use 50/34t Praxis Works rings with my 110BCD Rotor cranks.
  • I use Rotor rings on mine but I believe that you can use any rings with the correct BCD, either 130 for standard or 110 for compact.
    As for the bottom bracket you won't need an adaptor as the one already fitted to the Foil is compatible.

Ahh I wasn't entirely sure, good to know I don't need to spend an extra 50 euro's then!
    DKay wrote:

Did you buy it as a package from p2m? Did you need to buy any extra's, like bolts etc. How have you found the rings compared to Ultegra?
  • DKay
    jgarpotter wrote:
    DKay wrote:

Did you buy it as a package from p2m? Did you need to buy any extra's, like bolts etc. How have you found the rings compared to Ultegra?

No, I bought the rings at the same time as the frame and grouppo from Westbrooks. They threw in the bolts gratis as that's the kind of shop they are, although I'm using the alloy Rotor bolts that came with the cranks. They have a reputation for being soft, but they've been fine so far.

I've not found any appreciable difference in terms of shifting compared to Shimano, which is a big complement.

I presume that is for the Type S P2M as opposed to the classic?
  • DKay wrote:
    jgarpotter wrote:
    DKay wrote:

No, I bought the rings at the same time as the frame and grouppo from Westbrooks. They threw in the bolts gratis as that's the kind of shop they are, although I'm using the alloy Rotor bolts that came with the cranks. They have a reputation for being soft, but they've been fine so far.

I've not found any appreciable difference in terms of shifting compared to Shimano, which is a big complement.

I was hoping the shifting would be similar. I'm still unsure on which PM to get, Stages or P2M (potentially a powertap but I'd rather not).
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    jgarpotter wrote:
    I use Rotor rings on mine but I believe that you can use any rings with the correct BCD, either 130 for standard or 110 for compact.

Classic is the same if you have the Rotor 3D. If buying new you have to go for the Type S as they've sold out of the classic.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    jgarpotter wrote:
    I use Rotor rings on mine but I believe that you can use any rings with the correct BCD, either 130 for standard or 110 for compact.

Classic is the same if you have the Rotor 3D. If buying new you have to go for the Type S as they've sold out of the classic.

They currently have the 3D Plus in stock (classic), which I presume would fit without any extra parts for the bottom bracket?
  • Grill
    jgarpotter wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    jgarpotter wrote:

They currently have the 3D Plus in stock (classic), which I presume would fit without any extra parts for the bottom bracket?

You'd need a PF30 BB adaptor as the plus uses a 30mm spindle as opposed to the standard 3D's 24mm.
  • jgarpotter wrote:

Mine is the classic with the triangular battery compartment, the only restriction is that I can't use the Rotor Q rings as it's the compact version, so I use the fixed position OCP3 rings instead.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Grill
    You can use Q-rings, you just need to cut them. Alternatively you can have Fibre-Lyte make you a set.
  • Grill wrote:
    jgarpotter wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    jgarpotter wrote:

You'd need a PF30 BB adaptor as the plus uses a 30mm spindle as opposed to the standard 3D's 24mm.

Thanks, answered my question on whether not to get them then, its already at the top of my budget, but that pushes it over (with the adaptor), I'll probably wait to see if the 4iiii is any good, if not go Stages or maybe a powertap.
  • My Foil arrived and, as others have said, the green is a lot less offensive than in Westbrook's photo!

Loads of question on build though so thanks for your patience and any info you can provide:

1) As you shouldn't clamp to delicate carbon parts, on my last build I bought a 50p aluminium seatpost and used that for the workstand to clamp to. What did you all do with yours as the Ritchey seatpost is lovely and carbon and I guess you can't pick up any old cheap post to pop in instead?

2) From a quick search it looks like the seatpost won't take carbon railed saddles but is that right?

3) What's everyone done with junction box A? How does it look hidden under the stem with a Garmin on top? Much better on the bottom of an out front mount?

4) There's nothing in the box for fixing the battery into the seatpost and I've seen a couple of mentions of ties to stop cables rattling round. Is the bubblewrap and zipties route fine?

5) Where does junction box B go and how is it secured (does it have to be)?

6) More importantly than mechanical matters, which bling carbon bottle cage looks best on the downtube?

7) Ritchey bars and stem to fit in with the seatpost or something else?

8) What wheels have people gone for? I'd normally have gone for some lightweight DA9000 C24 or similar hand builts but (again just being a tart) it must look odd to have a Foil without some aero wheels. Any opinions on these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161144072071

Sorry for the deluge of questions.
  • Grill
    1) I packed clothes around the seatpost and clamped very gently until I bought a proper race stand.
    2) You can buy Ritchey 1-bolt clamps for carbon rails in either 7x9 or 8x8.5
    3) Under the stem is easiest.
    4) Worked for me (on my Plasma)
    5) I'd put it in the down tube by the bottom bracket. No it doesn't need to be secured although you may want to to stop it rattling.
    6) Elite Paron or Lightweight Edelhelfer if you're flush.
    7) Ritchey WCS.

For wheels I've run Reynolds Attacks, Assaults, RZR 46 and ENVE 6.7. All been good but the pricer options were obviously better.
  • DKay
    My Foil arrived and, as others have said, the green is a lot less offensive than in Westbrook's photo!

Loads of question on build though so thanks for your patience and any info you can provide:

1) As you shouldn't clamp to delicate carbon parts, on my last build I bought a 50p aluminium seatpost and used that for the workstand to clamp to. What did you all do with yours as the Ritchey seatpost is lovely and carbon and I guess you can't pick up any old cheap post to pop in instead?

2) From a quick search it looks like the seatpost won't take carbon railed saddles but is that right?

3) What's everyone done with junction box A? How does it look hidden under the stem with a Garmin on top? Much better on the bottom of an out front mount?

4) There's nothing in the box for fixing the battery into the seatpost and I've seen a couple of mentions of ties to stop cables rattling round. Is the bubblewrap and zipties route fine?

6) More importantly than mechanical matters, which bling carbon bottle cage looks best on the downtube?

8) What wheels have people gone for? I'd normally have gone for some lightweight DA9000 C24 or similar hand builts but (again just being a tart) it must look odd to have a Foil without some aero wheels. Any opinions on these:

1) I have a workstand, which holds the bike by the fork drop-outs and bottom bracket shell.

2) My bundle came with the cradle to fit oval carbon rails.

3) Looks fine under the stem.

4) You should have got a plastic/rubber sleeve with your package, which you fit around the battery and push into the seatpost.

7) I have a Deda Zero 100 cockpit on mine. I fancied some 3T Aeronova bars, but then chickened out of dropping £200 on a set of bars.

8) I'm using some hand-builts which are H Plus Son Archetypes, with Miche Primato hubs and Sapim Lazer spokes.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    2) I'm using it on a carbon railed toupe - I don't see any problem if the rails have a normal curvature top and bottom (don't know if that's 7x9, 8x8.5 or something else... many carbon saddles have an oval cross-section, so they are thicker but can still be clamped by normal seatposts because the top and bottom surfaces are have the same curvature as standard metal rails).

6) Don't bother with carbon cages, get the Elite Custom Race in this colour scheme, a perfect match for a black & white Foil frame with green highlights, a very functional piece of kit and costs considerably less...

Elite-Custom-Race-Bottle-Cage-2014-Bottle-Cages-Black-Gloss-Green-00616110-0.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
  • Many thanks for the tips so far.

DKay - you mention your bundle came with a second seatpost cradle and battery sleeve. Was that the £1,499 Westbrooks deal? It doesn't explicitly say on the spec that it comes with these but as mine didn't is it reasonable to go back to them?
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    My Foil arrived and, as others have said, the green is a lot less offensive than in Westbrook's photo!

1) Just don't clamp the seat post too tight

2) No idea I went for a chromolly railed saddle

3) Looks fine. Hidden out of the way with just the Shimano rubber strap showing.

4) I wedged the battery into a cardboard tube that came in the packaging. Very much a bodge but it does work!

5) Mine it just above the BB unsecured

6) I got my carbon bottle cages from Far Sports along with the wheels although I do like the Elite ones posted above

7) I went for 3T Ergonova Pro bars and 3T Arx stem

8) Far Sports 50mm carbon clinchers for me.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • Grill
    Many thanks for the tips so far.

DKay - you mention your bundle came with a second seatpost cradle and battery sleeve. Was that the £1,499 Westbrooks deal? It doesn't explicitly say on the spec that it comes with these but as mine didn't is it reasonable to go back to them?

No such thing as a different cradle. The Foul uses the Ritchey 1 bolt design so the cradles are identical with the only change being the clamps. http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/ritchey-wcs-1-bolt-replacement-seatpost-clamp-p225550?gclid=CIyIrZbGl8ECFZTLtAodanEAIg
  • iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    Westbrooks deal should have come with a plastic shim for helping fit battery into seat post (guessing this is what you meant by battery sleeve)
  • Iron_Duke - One of these?

http://ritcheylogic.com/road/seatposts/ ... ounts.html

If so, mine didn't and I also just got one clamp for attaching the saddle.
  • DKay
    Grill wrote:
    Many thanks for the tips so far.

No such thing as a different cradle. The Foul uses the Ritchey 1 bolt design so the cradles are identical with the only change being the clamps. http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/ritchey-wcs-1-bolt-replacement-seatpost-clamp-p225550?gclid=CIyIrZbGl8ECFZTLtAodanEAIg

I meant the top clamp. I only got one clamp, but it was the one needed to fit oval-railed saddles. I specifically requested it.

You say potato....
    Iron_Duke - One of these?

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://ritcheylogic.com/road/seatposts/di2-seatpost-battery-mounts.html</span&gt;

If so, mine didn't and I also just got one clamp for attaching the saddle.

Yes, you should have got one of these. Word of advice, don't push it all of the way in, or you'll find it impossible to pull out again, even with the tabs. I'm not looking forward to trying to remove mine if the need every arises.
  • iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    Yes - but see DKay has already beaten me to it

Don't think mine was the ritchey branded one??? But essentially the same.
  • DKay wrote:

Seatpost is fine clamped in a workstand. Doesn't have to be mega tight. I do slacken off the workstand clamp tightening bolt to allow the weight of the bike to turn the clamp more in line with the centre of the weight distribution....if that makes sense lol. Basically, the bike "nosedives",

It won't take ovalized rails without adapter. I didn't get the adapter nor do I have carbon rails.

Looks fine under the stem, but I use out front mount. I don't like the rubber strappy thing and opted for two thin cable ties instead.

I got the seatpost shim (ask them to send one if you didn't get one), but I didn't get the cable dangly thingies.

Shoved unceremoniously up into the bottom end of the downtube near the junction of bb and downtube. This was trickier than I thought actually.

No idea. I'll probably just get some matt black Elites

I've gone Pro Vibe, but whatever takes yer fancy. There was a seller in the classifieds selling various length Pro Vibe UD wrapped stems at very, very reasonable prices.

DA 9000 C50s (tubular)

1) I have a workstand, which holds the bike by the fork drop-outs and bottom bracket shell.

2) My bundle came with the cradle to fit oval carbon rails.

3) Looks fine under the stem.

4) You should have got a plastic/rubber sleeve with your package, which you fit around the battery and push into the seatpost.

7) I have a Deda Zero 100 cockpit on mine. I fancied some 3T Aeronova bars, but then chickened out of dropping £200 on a set of bars.

8) I'm using some hand-builts which are H Plus Son Archetypes, with Miche Primato hubs and Sapim Lazer spokes.