Finally, My Transition Covert 27.5 |Latest pictures page 11

Comments

• bennyy
    bennyy Posts: 141
    I was feeling the exact same on the pikes. Try 1.5 tokens :D. If you know your not going to want to run two tokens get it chopped in half.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I may try that.. Worst case I could buy a few more tokens
    Did you just use a knife to cut it?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    It's quotes like this...
    Honestly if your after a 160 fork give the pike a try.

Im super impressed with how supple it is for an air fork, so close to a coil its scary and havent felt any real flex from it yet on the trail coming from a 36 fox so dead chuffed.

And that...
    ej2320 wrote:
    I think the pike would work well with your votec, Felix

...that are making me keep changing my mind!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ej2320
    You don't know anyone with a Pike that you could test do you? That might help
    It's a shame they don't make a 170mm Pike because I really believe that it could handle the extra 10mm

I never even considered the Lyrik simply because I wanted to keep weight down and I think a coil shock might just be a bit overkill especially with the Pike matching it so closely
  • felix.london
    one of the guys does have a Pike on his Stumpy Carbon Evo but he's tiny and must way about 60kg so rides a small frame - although guess I could still get a feel for the fork.

The top of the range full build version of mine comes with the 170mm Lyrik RC and the 2 lower spec'd models come with 160mm Fox 34's so a 160mm Pike could be perfect

this ain't gonna happen til July/August anyway I shouldn't think

There's always the fact the £100 saved by getting the Lyrik can go towards carbon rims and an XTR shifter :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • bennyy
    bennyy Posts: 141
    ej2320 wrote:
    I may try that.. Worst case I could buy a few more tokens
    Did you just use a knife to cut it?

I used a hacksaw and then some emery cloth to tidy it up get rid of any loose/sharp edges.

I was certain I did not like two, after trying it twice both times did not like it at all.
  • Rob_p87
    Rob_p87 Posts: 9
    Not sure if this is still the place to post a pic of your new covert (was it ever!?) but I haven't been up to date with the thread.

After a few posts asking questions in here, my Covert was built on Saturday.

Rough spec:
    Large frame
    Pike 160
    Reverb Stealth
    Hope Evo Pro2s on Stans Flow ex rims
    Nukeproof pedals
    Chromag bars & seat
    North shore billet narrow wide chain ring (1x10)
    SLX brakes
    High roller IIs

Transition_1.jpg

Transition_3.jpg

Transition_4.jpg

So glad I went for the large over the medium, the longer wheelbase helps to keep the front down when climbing. On the medium I test rode the chainstays were noticeably short straight away, doesn't feel like it on the large. Only ridden it once so far but it feels like the perfect all round bike, so so fast on the downs and easy to climb. Couldn't live without a reverb either!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I doubt that the chainstays are any different between the sizes.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Rob_p87
    Rob_p87 Posts: 9
    The chain stays don't actually change, only the front triangle. I guess what I meant was that the longer wheelbase meant that the short stays weren't so obvious when riding
  • ej2320
    Nice covert!

Yeah the chainstays don't change but the larger sizes do give a longer wheelbase which this bike benefits from and Lars recommends sizing up

Stick some photos in the transition bike thread I made

Also, what were those photos taken with? they look good
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    ej2320 wrote:
    Also, what were those photos taken with? they look good

A camera. Snigger snigger heehehe
  • ej2320
    ^ :roll: :lol:

As for my covert nothing has really changed but I do have upgrades planned
    Reverb Stealth
    40mm stem
    Higher rise bars
    Maybe some DMR Brendogs
  • ej2320
    Got some Kore Mega bars (760mm 35mm rise)
    They're very light for an aluminium bar and I feel they suit the bike (Lars also recommends them)

Reverb should be on order soon

Otherwise loving the bike!
  • ej2320
    Had a great ride at Llandegla a few days ago and the bike felt good but it has a lot more to give

I'd really like to improve my jumping and confidence jumping, I'm always committed at the take off then back out.. Advice would be appreciated
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Skills training or progressive practice is all I can suggest. I am planning to get down to the Whistler dirt jumps for a bit soon - have to get there early so all the dope kids and not so dope kids aren't around to laugh at my old ass trying to clear the baby line! Should spend some time on the pump track too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    Depends on where you live but I definitely recommend checking out http://ukbikeskills.com/

I was the same as you with jumps, never quite pushing myself to try them and just rolling them instead. Few hours with Tony "Jedi" Doyle and I was flying!
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    As above, either start small and gradually build up and/or tuition.

I now try and get into the habit of making one of my rides each week more skills based plus it's good as a rehab and recovery ride as well.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • ej2320
    I think a skills course might be the best option

It's not a case of I can't jump at all or can't ride drops but I always back out of the bigger and faster ones
    I can ride 1-2 ft drops without thinking anything of it and jump doubles with a 1-2 ft take off

The biggest drop I've hit was 6ft and I hit a 4ft take of ramp landing to flat several times so I know I/the bike can do it

But anyone who's been to Llandegla will know they have some moderately sized table tops and I'd love to clear them but just end up tapping the brakes and only getting a small bit of air

One option would be a jump course and Neil Donoghue does ones at Llandegla so it might be worth booking on one of those

Bloggingfit, that's a good idea of doing a technical ride once a week.. My local riding is fast open common land so is fun but not technical.. I ride the long mynd often too and that's not technical.. Local technical rides are probably Hopton and Eastridge so I'll try and ride those more often

Qui3tman, I'll check out that skills course

And Paul I think practising a lot will help and I'd love to head up to Whistler some day
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    Depends on where you live but I definitely recommend checking out http://ukbikeskills.com/

I was the same as you with jumps, never quite pushing myself to try them and just rolling them instead. Few hours with Tony "Jedi" Doyle and I was flying!
    Qui3tman

Cheers dude
  • ej2320
    A few updated pictures from a ride yesterday

image_zps1d220aa0.jpg
    image_zpsfc5f1596.jpg

Only real change is the bar and purple grips
    No bad thoughts on the bike though, it's everything I wanted it to be
  • ej2320
    ordered a reverb stealth which should be here next week
    I also had quite a big crash and somehow snapped the rear shifter so I've ordered an XTR shifter replacement as it was only £50 on CRC

I'll put some pictures up when it's all done
  • felix.london
    ej2320 wrote:
    I've ordered an XTR shifter replacement as it was only £50 on CRC

I'll have one of those!

Trek Session 8
  • ej2320
    Better be quick, the 15% off ends soon.. It said £59 but the discount is added in the basket
    Good deal I thought and well worth the upgrade if I plan on going 1x10
  • ej2320
    Xtr and reverb are fitted
    The xtr shifter is very very nice, smoother than the XT and seems to be easier to index.. So well worth it IMO
    same with the reverb very nice to use, bit of side and up down play but in assuming it's normal

I'll put some pictures up tomorrow, just need to shorten the hoses and tidy it up
  • ej2320
    image_zpsf294136a.jpg

In it's latest form, Reverb Stealth and XTR shifter fitted
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Looks good fella.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ej2320
    Cheers. Cables could do with a trim, but I'm going to wait till I get a bleed kit and bleed them at the same time
  • pesky_jones
    ej2320 wrote:
    Cheers. Cables could do with a trim, but I'm going to wait till I get a bleed kit and bleed them at the same time

What brakes are they? Why the bleed?

Looks sick btw
  • ej2320
    SLX, I thought while I was trimming the cables I may as well give them a bleed and keep them going for a while .. Saves me trying to do it at Uni :lol:

Might stick a 40mm stem on, being the XL is has quite a long TT and I don't find myself cramped reach wise
  • pesky_jones
    Hmm I highly doubt they need a bleed at all, you don't need to bleed them to trim them - but if you do it properley it can't hurt. Shimanos are quite easy to bleed.