Finally, My Transition Covert 27.5 |Latest pictures page 11

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I'm thinking about getting some grey Flow EX decals, any thoughts?
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    Think green script with blue to complement the frame accents would look better IMO
  • ej2320
    I was thinking blue as well

It was really either a stealth look or blue..
  • ej2320
    Quick update

Changed the bars, dropped the length by 10mm to 750mm but also it has a 25mm rise.. Although I wouldn't say it's transformed the ride, because it was always great, but it is more comfortable on long climbs and the front end is easier to manual with which is good

Only planned upgrades are a Reverb and Clipless pedals/Shoes when my Tevas wear out
  • ej2320
    Blue rim decals ordered

I'll post a picture once they're fitted
  • ej2320
    The decals did arrive but I'm unsure.. The red has grown on me

But otherwise the bike is everything I wanted
    Pictures from earlier
    image_zps4a0e3b3f.jpg
    image_zpsf353eaea.jpg

One thing I did find was a 6ft drop off in the remains of an old quarry.. Photo doesn't do it justice but it was the same height as me
    image_zps80b3e799.jpg

I was fairly confident hitting the drop off but I did find both the shock and forks bottoming out, I think my technique is fine and I adsorbed as much of the landing as I could with my arms and legs
    image_zps8cb41c04.jpg
    image_zps9b15f37e.jpg
    I suppose my question is, is it fine to use that much travel? Or is it bottoming out and potentially damaging to the shock and forks?
    My sag is set up correctly and I'm running 1 bottomless token in the forks
    Would upping the pressure help?
    Also, I'm not a particularly heavy rider at just under 13st
  • Rob_p87
    Rob_p87 Posts: 9
    Hi,

Very nice covert! I test rode one today around my local woods. Great bike, very stable. Although I am right on the boundary for a medium or a large frame. I'm currently riding a meta 55 medium which feels too small, the demo I rode was a medium and felt fine really. It's hard to know how much different a large would be and i'm not going to be able to test one. I found the BB quite low which I see others have mentioned and the short chain stays makes it a wheelie machine!

Any thoughts?
  • ej2320
    I had a long disscusion about size when I ordered mine
    As I pre ordered it I didn't even have a chance to demo so I took a bit of a punt

I'm around 6ft 1" and I'm riding an XL, however I have longer legs and a shorter upper body and I like my saddle high on climbs.. so my old 18" bike was feeling a bit small

They have shortened the seat tube slightly this year which gives you the option to size up and run the saddle lower
    How tall are you exactly?

I think it comes down to personal preference really, the top tube length is relatively long so I think reach would be an important factor for size.. Saddle height can be adjusted easily.. Where as reach is a lot harder to change as a different length stem with effect reach and bike handling

Personally I sized up because I hate to feel cramped on the bike but also with the larger size the TT is longer and so is the wheelbase which gives me more stability on fast sections

Obviously it's heavier than if I'd sized down to a Large and the Large would be more playful and easier to control in terms of jumping and gereral 'flickability' on the trail

What was the reach like on the Medium you demoed, and what was the stem length?
    Obviously if you size up it gives you the option to run a super short stem without feeling cramped
    The cockpit is very personally and I found I had to put on a bar with a high rise for it to be comfortable and my arms and shoulders no longer ache and my posture on the bike feels much better for climbing

The main advice I'd give you is to look at a geometry chart of the Covert and compare it to your old meta 55, if your meta felt too short compare the TT length + stem length.. And so on and take into account the cockpit (Bar length/Rise, Stem rise/Lenth..)

The BB is quite low but I speced 170mm crank arms so I haven't really hit the pedals or cranks on anything
    The bike is great for manuals and wheelies but I've never found it an issue on climbs

If there's anything else just post on here and I'll try to answer
    Oh, and if you're worrying about which colour have a look at the thread labeled "Overt Covert" he has the Saftey Orange with a stealth black components look.. Might help you decide
  • Rob_p87
    Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm not exactly sure but very close to 6ft. Yeah, it had a 50mm stem on it so very short and the reach was ok but maybe could have done with a bit longer, like a 70mm stem. Or a large frame with a longer reach and a shorter stem!?

Yeah I think it was running 780/800mm Kore bars, very wide! Yeah good idea, will try and find some info on the meta.

170mm cranks is a good option, may help out a bit.

Yeah I am going with safety orange and pikes, so black up front
    Can't think of any other questions at the mo, thanks!
  • ej2320
    Well only you know how the medium felt and bike size is a very personal thing. The size charts are often misleading as they don't really take into account inseam length, arm length/reach.. Personally if I was you I'd get the Large just for the longer wheelbase and extra room on the bike and the ability to run a stem shorter than 50mm if you wanted as it suits the bikes intentions
    (I could comfortably run a 30mm stem on mine)

I was torn between the Orange and the Green.. Both awesome colours
    Should be a great build when you get it sorted
  • Rob_p87
    Yeah that could be a good idea, the longer wheelbase will make it stable on the fast downs and may help keep the front down on the climbs. I also emailed transition and they replied saying....

"I would suggest the size Large Covert 27.5 for you at 6' and I'm pretty certain on this. I'm 5'9" and almost find the Med to be a bit small."

This is the one I test rode

zxwp.jpg

Edit: Just measured myself, I'm 5ft 11
  • ej2320
    Well I think it's the sort of bike that is complemented by the longer wheelbase and larger size, kinda like a mini DH bike in a way.. So I'd say Transition are right in saying that

That's a nice build in the Orange

Edit: Even at 5ft 11" I'd personally still get the large, but it really is down to you and how the bike fits you personally..
    Whatever size you go for the Covert is a good choice, it's noticeably improved my riding in a short time owning it.. Just a shame it doesn't get more publicity from the bike mags
    Oh, and make sure you put some pictures up when you get the bike :lol:

Also have you seen the sizing section on Transitions website? I think they sum up the whole size debate quite well
  • bennyy
    bennyy Posts: 141
    using all your travel is what its there for, you should be using all your travel, but tbh a 6ft drop to flat is pretty hardcore and will bottom almost everything, just as long as it wasn't a real harsh bottom out. what weight are you? I also run pikes with one token and 65psi and I use it all on 4ft drops to flat, but im a gnatz under 90kg.
  • ej2320
    I understand using all/most of the travel is good but I was just worried if it completely bottomed out I could damage the internals

I wouldn't consider it particularly hardcore but 6ft drop off to flat is pretty harsh, like you said, and there's not really a landing or a way for me to adsorb the impact like on a jump so the suspension takes a fair bit of the impact

There was a noise from the rear when I landed several times, I'm not sure if it was chain slap or the shock.. But because of the piggy back damper I can hear the damping circuit working when I compress the shock so it might just be the sound of the damper

I'm 83 KG, with one bottomless token and running about 75-80 psi in the forks and it was in decend mode when I hit the drop
  • Rob_p87
    ej2320 wrote:
    Edit: Even at 5ft 11" I'd personally still get the large, but it really is down to you and how the bike fits you personally..
    Whatever size you go for the Covert is a good choice, it's noticeably improved my riding in a short time owning it.. Just a shame it doesn't get more publicity from the bike mags
    Oh, and make sure you put some pictures up when you get the bike :lol:

Also have you seen the sizing section on Transitions website? I think they sum up the whole size debate quite well

Yeah, I think the extra wheelbase will help and I can sort the reach with a stem, will help to get my weight over the front as I found the front really light on climbs.

Will defo post some pics when I go to the shop to build it. Yeah I've seen the transition size guide, like you say it sums it up well. I emailed them and Lars suggested I should be on a large

Cheers
  • sea118
    sea118 Posts: 42
    I was umming and oaring over a medium or large. Even asked on here for some advice. In the end I went to a demo day at cannock to try them out but Transition never turned up! So I sat on a medium Mega AM which is very similar reachwise, decided that was too short and settled on a large Covert (having never ridden one). The size is spot on. I am 6'1" for what its worth.
    The Mega AM has similar geometry but long chainstays and feels like a mini DH bike. The super short chainstays on the Covert (by 27.5 standards) make it really lively and playful.
    Here's a pic of my 27.5, and another Double Tranny Trouble pic with my bro's 2014 26er. Best bike I've ever ridden, such a fun ride inspiring confidence too.
    IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
  • ej2320
    Nice Covert!

It's good to see a lot more of them popping up, I think it's a really underrated bike and should get more publicity
    I'd agree totally with what you said, the bike is fun when you want if to be on jumps yet solid and stable on rough terain

Because I have an XL I think I'm going to get a 30mm stem as it shouldn't make the reach too short
    I really want to unleash it on downhill so the stem should make the head angle feel steeper, make the steering super quick and make it even more playful
  • ej2320
    I want to make my Covert a bit more.. lairy

So, I'm going to be getting some purple grips and rim decals, I think it will work well with the green and I want to make it a bit more unique
  • Finally got my Covert 650B...

MyCovert_zps86e7412e.jpg

How do you guys find them on the climbs? I haven't been out on mines yet unfortunately due to work :(
  • ej2320
    Nice!
    My Covert thread seems to have become a general Covert thread.. Stick some photos in the Transition bikes thread I made :)

I find mine great on the climbs, perhaps a bit heavier than I'd like but it always gets up the hills with me being the only weak link, technical climbs is where it performs and seems to scrabble up anything
  • bennyy
    i think the purple will look great against the green

im half thinking of adding some colour to mine, but not sure what will go with the blue of 2012 model, I want to go pink :D
  • ej2320
    I can confirm the purple looks good against the green
    The grips are now purple and I'm thinking of changing the rim decals too
    Would've got the purple hubs had they been available when I ordered the wheelset

If you're thinking of testing colours I'd changed the grips, you can change the cartridge in lock ons for £5 and there's a load of colours
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Rob_p87 wrote:
    I'm 5'9"
    Rob_p87 wrote:
    Just measured myself, I'm 5ft 11

haha...that's some way off. Are you still growing or something?

sweet bikes btw
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ej2320
    Thanks, I think the covert looks a bit.. Industrial
    Not much hydrofoming but built to last, although the carbon covert looks very slick

I suspect the covert is like your votec in some ways, bit heavy on the climbs but awesome back down
  • felix.london
    My Votec is 2.9kg with shock so I reckon a bit lighter than the Tranny but yeah - that kinda thing for sure. Just makes you smile coming down :D

Trek Session 8
  • ej2320
    Yeah, the covert frame is 3.6 KG with shock
    Full build probably around 13.8 KG
  • felix.london
    ej2320 wrote:
    Yeah, the covert frame is 3.6 KG with shock
    Full build probably around 13.8 KG

The right side of 14kg is good for a beast like that

Weighed the Votec the other day - 14.7kg

next month am putting on carbon bar and switching to the AbsoluteBlack single-ring system which should drop the weight to a smidge over 14kg

Then it's swap the Domain for a Lyrik and I'm looking at 13.5kg which I think is a great weight for such a bruiser (could go Pike and get it down to 13kg but think the coil Lyrik will suit me better tbh)

Just trying to persuade my mate to get a Tranny Covert actually.

Trek Session 8
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Honestly if your after a 160 fork give the pike a try.

Im super impressed with how supple it is for an air fork, so close to a coil its scary and havent felt any real flex fromit yet on the trail coming from a 36 fox so dead chuffed.
  • bennyy
    My medium covert 26 is a shade under 31lb so pretty much bang on 14kg, it rides lighter though, and I'm suprised how well my HD's roll with trailstar front pacestar rear, a true do it all bike, I love it.

I now run 1.5 tokens in my pike, 70psi, one token I was using all the travel too easily, I ride it hard and at the moment its doing more downhill than trail riding, 2 tokens seemed to ramp up too much and make it ride harsh as it approached 3/4 travel, so I cut a token in half and I'm really happy with it now, also cut down the largest volume spacer a little, so now its in-between the middle and largest, I think it needs another slither cutting off to get it perfect.
  • ej2320
    I completely agree bennyy, although it sounds heavy it doesn't feel too heavy
    I have the same HD tyre setup as you and I have the superwide 2.35 ones and it still doesn't feel like I'm lugging 14kg + around and it always seems to scramble up the toughest climbs. As a 'do it all' bike it's just what I wanted.. I can even keep pace on downhill tracks.. I think the only way it could be better if it was carbon :lol:

I agree with you on the Pike however, it is incredible but I still haven't found the ideal setup
    The low to medium hit sensitivity is brilliant with 1 token but I feel with 2 I loose some of the small bump sensitivity that I paid for.. but bottomed out on a 7ft drop with 1 token, so I'm yet to find the ideal setup but I can't complain about the fork, it really is as good as the reviews make out

I think the pike would work well with your votec, Felix.. but the Lyrik is great as well and has sort of been forgotten about with the hype for the Pike and will still be a big weight change from the Domain which is basically a DH fork

If your friend is interested in the Covert I would say it's a great all round bike.. I take it on a lot of XC rides and keep up with 120mm bikes and it's superb on technical hard hitting descents
    If he's interested in Carbon.. my money is on a Carbon Covert 27.5 to go on sale next year...