Finally, My Transition Covert 27.5 |Latest pictures page 11

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Ok, been on another ride and I'm looking for some advice..

Overall I love the bike, but..

I feel as though too much of my weight is forced onto the bars with the saddle at pedalling height, I'm assuming this is due to the saddle height in relation to the bars as the saddle is higher

On long climbs I'm noticing several things,
    .My arms and shoulders are hurting slightly
    .My lower back starts to become very painful after a while

I'm assuming those are both due to me having to lean forward to reach the bar

I've also noticed it's harder to pop the front wheel up compared to my old bike which is odd considering the 66 degree HA
    I've found it also nosedives slightly on large jumps (4ft ish)

I've had a play with the cockpit and there's nothing more I can do with the current setup
    Current stem, 50mm 5 degree rise
    Current bars, 760mm no rise
    The stem is also at it's highest in terms of spacers

My options appear to be;
    .Buy a new stem with less slack height to put some more spacers in (maybe more rise too)
    .Buy new bars with a rise

Can anyone suggest what I should do?
    Thanks
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Shorter stem and a bar with more rise on it. Renthal make a 40mm stem with low stack height and a 10 degree rise so could always try that first and if that doesn't work they also do bars with numerous rises as well, I think they do 10, 20, 30 and 38mm rise or something like that.

Need some pics of the finished bike too!
  • OutSpoken
    OutSpoken Posts: 69
    I've just ran mine for 16 miles on an old train track to stretch my legs. Sounds like mine was set up quite similar to yours.

I found i had to drop my saddle an inch to make it feel more comfortable honing along and up hills! got the angle of my bars set up properly as well. Mine are 760mm wide with 20mm rise 5 degree sweep. (50mm Stem)
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    OutSpoken wrote:
    I've just ran mine for 16 miles on an old train track to stretch my legs. Sounds like mine was set up quite similar to yours.

I found i had to drop my saddle an inch to make it feel more comfortable honing along and up hills! got the angle of my bars set up properly as well. Mine are 760mm wide with 20mm rise 5 degree sweep. (50mm Stem)

Not the flitch way by any chance
  • OutSpoken
    Nope South of Bath...
  • ej2320
    image_zps579d7fe6.jpg

image_zps28e4dda3.jpg

image_zpsbe1d765e.jpg

Haven't cleaned it off since my last ride but I think it looks better with a bit of mud :lol:

You can also see that saddle is noticeably higher than the bars..
  • Very nice. A set of riser with suitable rise (??!!) should sort your aches.... and I think further improve the look of your bike. Flat bars don't look right on anything but an XC hardtail IMHO. Nice mix of black/green and blue. Keep up the good work.

Corners
  • ej2320
    A riser bar bar will be my first upgrade

I went for the flats as they were cheap on this forum

I'll look to change them soon, I was going to save for a fatbar carbon to lighten the front end very slightly but I don't think it can wait that long so I'll go with what Lawman said and shop around for a bar with a 20-30mm rise

I'll also get a stem with a lower stack height so I can bung a few more spacers in
  • http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cran ... -prod85548

Various cheap Crank Bros options to find the right rise for you before you go carbon! I have a set on one of my bikes and they're top quality for bargain basement money.....
  • ej2320
    Looks good for the price but I don't really want a bar with a width less than 740mm
  • OutSpoken
    My bars were £40 760 mm and only 220grams?
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Nice bike. What grips are they btw?
  • ej2320
    Cqc wrote:
    Nice bike. What grips are they btw?

Superstar half flange

Felt weird at first but they're a really nice grip and work well with gloves
    Only thing is the mud slicks in the grooves in the grip
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Too soft? Half Nelsons or them?
  • ej2320
    Cqc wrote:
    Too soft? Half Nelsons or them?

Personally I like them

It's weird, they're not soft like a foam grip but they are forgiving
    I wouldn't recommend them if you run your shifter right against the grip as the BMX style circular bit at the end can get in the way of the shifter lever

If you're not sure they are only £8 so it's not a big loss
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I glanced at the first pic and thought "that's a bloody ugly rear mudguard", ahd to do a double take :lol:
  • It could be the future....concrete mudguards!

Might help with manuals and wheelies as well.
  • Is the frame a medium or large ?
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    I'm going to be honest, when I saw this as frame only i wasn't a fan, but the full build looks really good. I like the way the pike matches the rear triangle and your colour coding to match the pivot bolts. Good stuff.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Thats a cracking looking bike, got the colourscheme just right imo
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • Blur3810
    Blur3810 Posts: 14
    Nice job mate . Lovely looking bike ! Has it been worth the wait ? I'm loving mine . Very quick bike as it's long and low ." Well about 3.5" longer then my blur lt2 , the head angle will have something to do with that and bigger wheels" have clipped my pedals a couple of times nothing serious but took some getting used to . I find it pedals really well and has taken everything my local trails have thrown at it , rocks roots ect. The pikes perform brilliant with the float x .
  • bennyy
    bennyy Posts: 141
    looks good mate, some riser bars will look and feel much better.

ive gone for renthal bars 20mm rise and renthal 10degree stem, but I also left my steerer long enough with 25mm of adjustment to get it right before cutting it down.
  • ej2320
    Is the frame a medium or large ?

It's an XL frame
  • ej2320
    Thanks for all the comments :)

I was sceptical at first with the frame but with the black pike and ano blue colour matching I think it's worked out well

I think the only changes I'll make colourwise will be decals on the wheels, and the grip
    I love the feel of the grips but I think a stealth black bar would look better and I'm not sure if I like the half flange shape even though they're comfy

As for rim decals I was thinking either a dark grey/black or blue to match the hubs and bolts or possibly even green.. Opinions?
  • ej2320
    Blur3810 wrote:
    Nice job mate . Lovely looking bike ! Has it been worth the wait ? I'm loving mine . Very quick bike as it's long and low ." Well about 3.5" longer then my blur lt2 , the head angle will have something to do with that and bigger wheels" have clipped my pedals a couple of times nothing serious but took some getting used to . I find it pedals really well and has taken everything my local trails have thrown at it , rocks roots ect. The pikes perform brilliant with the float x .

Definitely worth the wait!

It's a beast on the downs and climbs a lot better than I expected

I went for the 170mm crank arms so I haven't hit them yet but the BB is quite low which I think is why I'm carrying a lot more speed into berms
  • ej2320
    image_zpsbe7088f1.jpg

Went out on another ride today, I've found the riding position better with the fork locked out so it sits higher in it's travel.. Still think riser bars would be better though
  • Great pic
  • ej2320
    Had my first bad experience of tubeless today.. Although it was my own fault

Dropped the PSI for a DH run, got carried away on a fast jump that lands into a berm, locked up the back wheel and slid through the berm which good.. However I managed to burp the tyre in the process and get a load of crap inside the tyre

Managed to re inflate with a mini pump somehow
  • Hope you had a spare pair of shorts with you!
  • ej2320
    Festerfeet wrote:
    Hope you had a spare pair of shorts with you!

:lol: