Finally, My Transition Covert 27.5 |Latest pictures page 11

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Literally broke a KMC 10 speed power link today without a tool. Admittedly it's got a lot easier since I first had to do it.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Have u got a clutch mech? Turn it off it will make it easier
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    edited March 2014
    Whip a jockey wheel out?

That might work

I'll give it a look tomorrow, if it doesn't work it's no worry, got the link pliers on order from CRC and I probably won't ride it till next weekend

Overall I really like the look of the bike colour wise
    The cockpit looks a bit strange but I think it's the short steerer tube, short stem and flat bars.. Totally opposite of my old bike

Once I tidy up the cables it should look better

Also I had a quick bounce on the Float X and Pikes, 1st impressions are very plush and little effort needed to get some movement but stiffening up further into the travel and not bottoming out.. Either way, a lot plusher than my old Monarch and Rebas

I'll write a review (as best I can with no review writing experience) when I give it a proper ride
  • ej2320
    Literally broke a KMC 10 speed power link today without a tool. Admittedly it's got a lot easier since I first had to do it.

Literally tried everything, even taking the chain off the large chainring to slacken it, it won't budge :(
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Get some stiff wire thread through either side of the power link and then twist the wire tighter with pliers until it pulls the power link together and separates - should work if you cant do it by hand. But generally you need to push the plates together at the same time as you push the links together.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • OutSpoken
    OutSpoken Posts: 69
    think we need some pics of how the build is coming along! I need to see a green one built up
  • ej2320
    image_zpsb4a4072d.jpg

As requested
  • OutSpoken
    looking good!
  • ej2320
    OutSpoken wrote:
    looking good!

Thanks, I've tried to colour match where possible

I might get some custom rim or fork decals when the current ones get damaged or something
  • OutSpoken
    I've been talking to Slik Graphics about some for mine. however they struggle to match bright CMYK colours!
  • Blur3810
    Blur3810 Posts: 14
    ej2320 wrote:
    Nearly built it

Just need to sort out the cables and gears
    But I need to get a power link remover tool as I need to sort the chain
    Try this link to remove the power link
    http://youtu.be/Kauez8MFJJc
  • ej2320
    Okay, the bike is now completely finished!

The first proper ride will be this weekend
    I can comment on the gears however.. The Shimano stuff is much better than my old Sram X9, much smoother shifting and easier to set up
  • ej2320
    First ride felt good!

With the shock in the climb setting it climbed a lot better than I thought it would and nearly as good as my 100mm bike
    I wasn't able to test it properly on downhill but I feel my weight is slightly further forward than I would like, I think it's because the reach is a lot longer than I anticipated for.. It's by no means unrideable but just not the prefect position and my arms hurt a little which they don't normally

I'll give it a bit of time for me to adjust to the bike before I change anything, the 760mm bars feel spot on in terms of width and so does the 50mm stem.. If the reach becomes a problem I may have to get a riser bar (mines currently a flat bar), I think that should shift my weight slightly further back and take some pressure of my arms and therefor take some weight off the front

The bike handles very well and the pike and float X are very plush
    Also as the shock sits lower in it's travel in decent setting it helps weight forward problem
    It was also surprising reluctant to pop the front wheel up considering the 66 degree HA

Anyway, I'll see how my next ride goes with some proper DH
  • sea118
    sea118 Posts: 42
    Hi all
    These look sexy, I've been eyeing up the green build for a little while. Just wondering how tall you are and what size frame you bought? I'm 6'1 and was thinking of a large, but I don't like the long bike feel and thought this might be a bit big. I am also hoping to get a 150mm dropper in - is the seat tube on a large low enough to accommodate do you reckon? Obviously depends on what size frame you have and your height as to whether you could comment on that one.
    Cheers guys
  • OutSpoken
    All sounds good, I've still been playing around with mine,

FYI sea118 i ride a large and I'm 5'10
  • ej2320
    I'm 6ft and I went for the XL

I think the fit is fine but I'm sure I could ride a Large also
    I personally wouldn't go smaller than a Large if I was you, I think you'd be too cramped with a short stem wide bars set up.. That's based on the fact my XL fits about right and I'm a fairly average build with average arm length

As for the dropper I couldn't comment but at 6'1 I would think a 150mm dropper would be fine on a large, but it depends on your inseam length anyway
  • sea118
    sea118 Posts: 42
    The geo measurements seem to add up fine to allow for a 150... But every manufacturer measures in their own way!
    Looks like a large then. Thanks for the replies helps a lot!
  • ej2320
    No worries, I'd say a large would be fine for you.. Unless you have unusually long legs

As for the 150mm dropper I'm only guessing but I'd say it would work, Transition said they shortened the seatube length slightly to allow people to size up and accommodate dropper posts

You might be better of chucking an old seatpost in 1st to gauge and idea of you saddle height them measur to see if a 150 would fit.. I'd think it would though
  • OutSpoken
    and if its not a stealth reverb /dropper then definitely hell tape the rear frame along the top near where the cable drops to!
  • ej2320
    Went out on a proper ride today..

Wow this bike's fast on the downs, it just glides over roots, rocks, and whatever else is in the way.. Grips really well too and let's me carry a surprising amount of speed through the corner
    Only thing I haven't tested it on is jumps

Slightly harder going up but that's just down to the weight and chunky tyres

My arms are hurting slightly on the climbs and I think I need a riser bar just to take some weight off my arms

But overall I'm very pleased, can't wait till next weekend!
  • OutSpoken
    Sounds good! I had similar thoughts... The bike is very quick down hill and I soon learned that it is capable of going faster than I am!
  • ej2320
    The bike just inspires confidence , but yeah, I think it has more to give than I've let it
    But I was taking it a bit easier for the first ride

But I am fairly confident I could just release the brakes and the bike will power it's way down with little input from me
  • OutSpoken
    I do like the pikes, they are a very capable fork and I found them very trustworthy through berms.
  • paul.skibum
    ej2320 wrote:
    The bike just inspires confidence , but yeah, I think it has more to give than I've let it

But I am fairly confident I could just release the brakes and the bike will power it's way down with little input from me

That is pretty much true for most modern bikes and their riders - I doubt I out ride my 100mm hardtail let alone a 150mm FS.
  • ej2320
    Blur3810 wrote:
    I have ordered 2 sets ,blue instead of the red and black instead of the red so just the writing shows. See which looks the best when they come !

Any photos of the graphics? I'm tempted to get some
  • OutSpoken
    I have the pics of the wheel graphics on email if you pm me your addy!
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:

That is pretty much true for most modern bikes and their riders - I doubt I out ride my 100mm hardtail let alone a 150mm FS.

That is true, but at I'd rather have a bike that allows me to become a better rider rather than one that holds me back
    I found my 100mm fs bike held me back on techy DH trails and tracks, obviously that isn't what the bike was built for, but it held me back none the less
  • paul.skibum
    ej2320 wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

That is true, but at I'd rather have a bike that allows me to become a better rider rather than one that holds me back
    I found my 100mm fs bike held me back on techy DH trails and tracks, obviously that isn't what the bike was built for, but it held me back none the less

Is the bike holding you back or are you holding it back? Would, for example, Gee Atherton ride your 100mm FS down a techy DH track faster than you ride your new bike down the same track? I am pretty sure he would which implies it is skill holding you back, no?

Just a thought - but nice bike, ride it like you stole it!
  • Gee Atherton would probably ride a plastic tricycle down a hill faster than most of us but that doesn't mean a 100mm fs can't hold back a developing rider on rough terrain.

Most of us accept that we are never going to be another Gee but can still have fun.

I wouldn't class myself as a great or even a good rider but I can take my 160mm bike a lot of places I can't take my 120mm fs.
    It might be a little slower going up as it is heavier but the traction at the back makes up for a lot and I can get down the mountain with more confidence and control with more comfort speed This all adds up to increased GPH (grins per hour).
    Is it compensating for a lack of skill, maybe, but most of the mountains around me top out at 4,000m and I am too old and sane to try and take my trusty spare on some of these trips.

Your Covert looks great and I am sure you will enjoy it.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

Is the bike holding you back or are you holding it back? Would, for example, Gee Atherton ride your 100mm FS down a techy DH track faster than you ride your new bike down the same track? I am pretty sure he would which implies it is skill holding you back, no?

Just a thought - but nice bike, ride it like you stole it!

Interesting thought

But I bet Gee didn't get as good as his is now by riding a 100mm FS bike his whole life :lol: