Orange Hate

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    You should all STFU and go ride your bikes.

^ This is always good advice.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    adamfo wrote:
    They are a multi-national.

Shall we cross that one off your impressive list, then?

If you want to know where we are on the world stage you only have to look at the air of desperation that surrounded our recent visit to China.

BP weren't on my list. Anglo Dutch shell were, the Worlds biggest company after low-rent Wal-Mart.

VAG are the Worlds biggest car maker. As far as I'm aware they only have one factory here the Bentley operation.
    British based component makers do supply parts to Germany. I've found brakes by Girling, glass by Pikington and various small electrical bits by Lucus on past BMW and Mercedes I've owned.

Due to draconian import tariffs China is a hard market to break into. All the large German car makers have factories there. Jaguar Land Rover are current building one and an engine plant.

One British industry that has been consistently successful exporting and the one I work in is AV (tv, film, music) and publishing. By revenue it's the second biggest exporter after the States.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152

So in what way would it be better if they were British companies?

I think that remittance of dividends in sterling is technically the answer to that.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    adamfo wrote:
    British based component makers do supply parts to Germany.

To add to your list: the Ford EU C/D front crossmember is supplied globally by Gestamp Tallent in Newton Aycliffe (1.1 million units per annum). They also supply the Porsche Panamera rear cross-member and steering arms for GM, (along side crossmembers for Honda Jazz (front) and CRV (front and rear), Freelander and axles to Land Rover etc). 65,000 tons of steel processed a year, most for export - I can't recall their aluminium figures. Stadco (based in Shrewsbury) make 35% of the Focus body, in a factory ajoining the Ford Saarlouis plant, as well as their UK operations making service parts for many companies and most of the aluminium pressings for JLR.

Have we talked about Rolls Royce aero yet?
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Angus Young
    adamfo wrote:

BP weren't on my list. Anglo Dutch shell were, the Worlds biggest company after low-rent Wal-Mart.

VAG are the Worlds biggest car maker. As far as I'm aware they only have one factory here the Bentley operation.
    British based component makers do supply parts to Germany. I've found brakes by Girling, glass by Pikington and various small electrical bits by Lucus on past BMW and Mercedes I've owned.

Due to draconian import tariffs China is a hard market to break into. All the large German car makers have factories there. Jaguar Land Rover are current building one and an engine plant.

One British industry that has been consistently successful exporting and the one I work in is AV (tv, film, music) and publishing. By revenue it's the second biggest exporter after the States.

Do you think the Chinese will be coming to a small island off the coast of Europe to beg that we bail out their infrastructure any time soon?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The sun has set on the Empire old boy.
    Deal with it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    The sun has set on the Empire old boy.
    Deal with it.

I'm fine with it. That'a exactly what I'm trying to point out. It's others who seem to be having trouble getting to grips with the reality.
  • Mojo_666 wrote:
    You should all STFU and go ride your bikes.
    I decided to do that when the baas began.
  • Angus Young
    You're brave coming into this thread with that avatar! Lol!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323

Cleary 'vision' isn't one of your superpowers, then. The man's been in this thread longer than you have! Puts up a good fight too.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Clank wrote:

Cleary 'vision' isn't one of your superpowers, then. The man's been in this thread longer than you have! Puts up a good BITE too.

FTFY
  • adamfo

Do you think the Chinese will be coming to a small island off the coast of Europe to beg that we bail out their infrastructure any time soon?

What on earth are you talking about ? You clearly know little about the UK economy ! It's a highly diversified one which is a major player in many sectors including things like University research. The Chinese Shanghai World university rankings have Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial Collage London in the top 10. Europe and china have none.

In comparison to other large EU countries Britain has the second highest GDP per capita at purchasing power parity

Germany $39028
    UK $36941
    France $35548
    Spain $30557
    Italy $30136
    Japan $35800
    China $9050
    (source IMF 2012)

As for orange, this video shows the some what agricultural aspect :shock:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ZdAvt_8XE
  • Angus Young
    Clank wrote:
    The man's been in this thread longer than you have!

Yes, I know. Second or third page.
  • Angus Young
    adamfo wrote:

What on earth are you talking about ? You clearly know little about the UK economy ! It's a highly diversified one which is a major player in many sectors including things like University research. The Chinese Shanghai World university rankings have Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial Collage London in the top 10. Europe and china have none.

In comparison to other large EU countries Britain has the second highest GDP per capita at purchasing power parity

Germany $39028
    UK $36941
    France $35548
    Spain $30557
    Italy $30136
    Japan $35800
    China $9050
    (source IMF 2012)

You seem terribly fond of lists. Perhaps you should Google 'world's largest companies'. There are quite a few interesting wikis lists that allow you to rank by country. You'd be hard pressed to make a case for Britain as a leading global powerhouse from that. Yes, we can all list a few things that prove a point, but if you get less selective it doesn't look quite so rosy. Perhaps the most telling list is largest European companies. If you rank by country we have a pretty good showing. But if you look at what those companies do, there's little manufacturing.

Anyway, my original point was that, using the car industry as an example, saying that we make more cars now than we've ever done doesn't quite paint the whole picture.

Back to Orange.

p.s. I prefer The Economist to the FT.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    th?id=H.4951007556011100&pid=15.1
  • adamfo

You seem terribly fond of lists. Perhaps you should Google 'world's largest companies'. There are quite a few interesting wikis lists that allow you to rank by country. You'd be hard pressed to make a case for Britain as a leading global powerhouse from that. Yes, we can all list a few things that prove a point, but if you get less selective it doesn't look quite so rosy. Perhaps the most telling list is largest European companies. If you rank by country we have a pretty good showing. But if you look at what those companies do, there's little manufacturing.

Anyway, my original point was that, using the car industry as an example, saying that we make more cars now than we've ever done doesn't quite paint the whole picture.

Back to Orange.

p.s. I prefer The Economist to the FT.

I don't think anybody is saying the UK is a global powerhouse. The point I'm making is things are still made here and the service sector is in general successful.
    I live near Chard in South Somerset a smallish market town which supports the surrounding rural economy. At first glance it appears not a lot is actually made here but in fact 700 people work at this place. If you stopped the man in the street he would say these are made in China.
    http://www.numatic.co.uk/index.aspx

More work at a company making specialized road building machinery. There is a shirt making factory supplying Jermyn St. Another company makes scientific instruments. All these companies export.
  • cooldad
    I am the proud owner of a Henry.
    Toot toot, pip pip etc.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Got an arcam amp? does that count ;)
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I've got an abacus made in the UK. That definitly counts
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Meanwhile, back in Yorkshire, the deep mining of orange bikes continues unabated.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I own a Dyson :shock:
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Mojo_666 wrote:

Posh git :wink:
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 wrote:

A purple one! uber posh git FYI :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

I bet you get out of the shower to piss... :wink:
  • cooldad
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

I bet you get out of the shower to wee-wee... :wink:
    I bet he sits down.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

lmao, my wife wishes.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    There are really only two "countries": a very small one inhabited by a few incredibly rich people, and a very large one where the rest of us live if we're lucky and survive if we're not.

I don't think anyone needs to justify why they bought an Orange or indeed why they didn't buy one. If riding and/or owning an Orange bike makes you happier than not having one, fair play to you.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Kowalski675
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

lmao, my wife wishes.

She wouldn't mind so much if you gave her time to get out of the shower first...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    I own a Dyson

Mr Dyson upset the locals by bringing in herds of immigrants to fill the jobs for his factory expansion a few years back without even advertising to give uk workers a chance.
    British business supporting British people.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    I own a Dyson

Mr Dyson upset the locals by bringing in herds of immigrants to fill the jobs for his factory expansion a few years back without even advertising to give uk workers a chance.
    British business supporting British people.

Go ride your bike, or have a wank, or both.
This discussion has been closed.