Ehhh watch the video then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlIYEdRFQu4
    Orange 5 Pro
    Orange P7
    Scott S40
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    steben wrote:
    the welds look like they were done by a welder not a machine

They look like they do because they were done by a crap welder (or possibly his guide dog). Take a look at Racefit, GIA Engineering or Spondon to see what hand welding looks like when it's done by a master craftsman, rather than a gibbon.

tumblr_mkz70yQSGf1qg6i7do1_1280.jpg

http://racefit-legend.com/
  • steben
    steben Posts: 24
    Fair play that's nice welding ! Bet they don't make many of those a week mind.
    I'm off now on a night ride so nobody can take the piss out of my welds but I know my pivots wont come loose or fall out though ! (mates Cubes and Trek ) haha
    That should keep this thread going for a while !!
    Orange 5 Pro
    Orange P7
    Scott S40
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    steben wrote:

Er, what? Read my post again.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Welds can look ugly but be absolutely mechanically sound. That said, robot welding, when the machine is set up right, gives more predictable results time and time again.
  • Kowalski675
    steben wrote:
    Fair play that's nice welding ! Bet they don't make many of those a week mind.

Maybe not, but a completely hand built, all titanium, one-off Legend full system still costs less than an ally Orange frame.

PICT6348.JPG
  • Kowalski675
    supersonic wrote:
    Welds can look ugly but be absolutely mechanically sound.

Welds can look beautiful too. I know which I'd rather have, lol.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Anyway, the point is, they all really liked the welding on the patriot and thought it was cool. It seems mtbers don't like the welding because...

Maybe it's like an untrimmed woman! Some guys like it but most would prefer a well trimmed lady garden...

FPMSL - although TBF pussy is pussy 8)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    supersonic wrote:
    Welds can look ugly but be absolutely mechanically sound.

Welds can look beautiful too. I know which I'd rather have, lol.

they could be stunning on the orange but I'd still not have one cause its a single pivot
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I don't know what you guys are talking about, all the oranges I've ever had, the welds have looked fine (it was no nicolai mind)... (not that you can see them once it's covered in mud anyway). Just ride your bikes and stop whinging...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    supersonic wrote:
    Welds can look ugly but be absolutely mechanically sound. That said, robot welding, when the machine is set up right, gives more predictable results time and time again.

As someone with a professional interest in this particular area: cobblers.

Setting the machine has little to do with it - repeatable parts are the most significant influence. A robot really struggles to cope with anything outside of 'the nominal' - it's big, it's orange, and it's dumb. Unless it's a Fanuc, a Motorman or a Kawasaki, in which case it's big, yellow or blue or white, and dumb. Yon human welder will accommodate gap and material thinning and joint misalignment. Best welds I've seen have been by hand. It's fairly typical for folk to blame the machine, especially when the parts that have gone in have been variable.

Ugly welds are an indication of lack of care - so what else have they been less careful about?. The welds may be perfectly functional, but bird-poo welds will be a mass of surface notches and edge undercuts where fatigue can precipitate. Ugly welds are more likely to indicate poor structural capability than a well formed and very repeatable weld. My customers have very, very strict standards on surface appearance because of the direct correlation to sub-optimal performance and service limitation - that kind of thing has consequences.

Just sayin'.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Clank wrote:

Ugly welds are an indication of lack of care - so what else have they been less careful about?

Just sayin'.

Maybe having a 'liquid' lunch doesn't help quality control....

289.jpg~original
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I said can be - not always! And vice versa, especially when some grind and fill.

Merida for example have technicians that set up the machines and constantly oversee the operation - more automated than fully robotic.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    As the thread seems to be going in this direction, what statistics are there for weld failure v. "ugly" welding on Orange bikes? Please break down statistics for British v. foreign manufactured frames.
  • adamfo
    Is this a machine weld ?

IMG_1090jpgoriginal-2.jpg~original

My Canyon frame seams fairly typical of mid-price Taiwanese made frames.

IMG_1086jpgoriginal-2.jpg~original
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Are rough looking welds really such a huge issue?
    I don't really understand people's obsessions with the aesthetics of bikes. I would rather ride mine than look at it.
  • Kowalski675
    Clank wrote:
    it's big, it's orange, and it's dumb. Unless it's a Fanuc, a Motorman or a Kawasaki, in which case it's big, yellow or blue or white, and dumb.

Shouldn't the Kawasakis be lime green, lol?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I don't really understand people's obsessions with the aesthetics of bikes. I would rather ride mine than look at it.

Much of the negative stuff in this thread sounds an awful lot like the kind of tosh people spout about iPhones – "people only but them because they're fashion victims", "over priced crap compared to X, Y or Z", "I'd never buy one due to this that or the other", "it's a religion" blah, blah, blah. If Orange really are as bad as some people are saying here why did mbr recently give Five 29S 8 out of 10? Not perfect, but far from the creaking anachronism some here would have us believe.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Kowalski675
    iPhones – "people only but them because they're fashion victims", "over priced crap compared to X, Y or Z"

True.
  • adamfo

It's more than aesthetics, form follows function. Most mid-price and up mountain bike use extensive use of hydro forming to achieve higher stiffness to weight ratios.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576

Much of the negative stuff in this thread sounds an awful lot like the kind of tosh people spout about iPhones – "people only but them because they're fashion victims", "over priced crap compared to X, Y or Z", "I'd never buy one due to this that or the other", "it's a religion" blah, blah, blah. If Orange really are as bad as some people are saying here why did mbr recently give Five 29S 8 out of 10? Not perfect, but far from the creaking anachronism some here would have us believe.

Just wait for it...some people here believe MBR are on Orange's payroll.....
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I remember the Specialized Hardrock getting top marks in mbr and mbuk.
  • YIMan wrote:

Just wait for it...some people here believe MBR are on Orange's payroll.....
    who shot JFK? Orange mtb ltd?
  • adamfo
    If Orange really are as bad as some people are saying here why did mbr recently give Five 29S 8 out of 10? Not perfect, but far from the creaking anachronism some here would have us believe.

Which issue was the Five 29 tested in ?

I saw the 26" tested recently and the verdict seemed fair enough. Quote:

"As a UK-ready trail bike, the Orange Five is still one of the best, no-nonsense, durable rides on the market. However, the Five S is hampered by a heavier weight, no dropper post and an uncompetitive spec compared to its peers. Compounding its problems is a rear shock set-up that needs tuning."
  • Angus Young
    adamfo wrote:

Don't know the number but it was the one with New Zealand on the cover, I think.
  • adamfo
    adamfo wrote:

Don't know the number but it was the one with New Zealand on the cover, I think.

October issue. I'd downloaded a while back and forgotten to read it :roll:
    Select slow download for free sample issue http://www.pdfmagazines.org/magazines/s ... -2013.html
  • Angus Young
    That's the one.

Although downloads are undoubtedly convenient I do find that I either forget to read stuff or don't do 'cover to cover' as I do with physical magazines.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    who shot JFK? Orange mtb ltd?

Precision assissination IIRC? So no, not Orange. They'd have used a musket (and missed)
  • Kowalski675
    A blunderbuss, I would've thought.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675

As above, it's a good indication of care- it's not the case that a good looking weld is always a good weld, but it's definitely more likely that a slapdash squinty erratic weld will be a bad weld. But also, you're paying top dollar for these frames, it's reasonable to expect a high quality of finish and craftsmanship. Erratic but functional finishing is more acceptable on a cheaper bike.

Re MBR- there's been a few reviews in the past that have made it easy to suspect bias... Memorable one was a £2000 full suss test. The Five S was within budget so they added optional extras that took it to about £2250, then in the review specifically recommended it because of those extras. Meanwhile, they criticised the under-budget Lapierre for poor brake pads, a £15 fix, even though it was about £450 cheaper, and slated the Trek for being just £50 more.

Or, a BOTY feature which went: "The brakes don't work, and the wheels are too weak and narrow, and it's flexy, and too expensive. 10/10!"
    Uncompromising extremist
This discussion has been closed.