Orange Hate

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    For being over priced I'd have to disagree, they are hand built in the UK(not all the models I know :roll: ) real r&d in the UK quality materials and they are built to last. Building things in this country is a lot more expensive than asia minimum wage proper guidelines, tools safe working environment etc. But its supporting our economy Providing fair paid jobs in our country not outsourcing to maximise profits, with unfair wages in some sweatshop like environment. More focussed on mass production mediocre bikes in a lot I of cases to shift numbers. On bikes that aren't built to there highest potential.
    So if you take into consideration that UK built means less profit margin, outsourcing= huge profit margin.
    who's really being taken for a ride?

Pretty much everything you wrote here is wrong.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    For being over priced I'd have to disagree, they are hand built in the UK(not all the models I know :roll: ) real r&d in the UK quality materials and they are built to last. Building things in this country is a lot more expensive than asia minimum wage proper guidelines, tools safe working environment etc. But its supporting our economy Providing fair paid jobs in our country not outsourcing to maximise profits, with unfair wages in some sweatshop like environment. More focussed on mass production mediocre bikes in a lot I of cases to shift numbers. On bikes that aren't built to there highest potential.
    So if you take into consideration that UK built means less profit margin, outsourcing= huge profit margin.
    who's really being taken for a ride?

uk built don't = good quality

expensive is expensive
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    POAH wrote:

Austin Allegro, anyone? :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    POAH wrote:

Allegro was a quality vehicle and ahead of it's time. Name one other vehicle with a square steering wheel :P

I have seen the Orange factory in various video's. The machinery they use is the same kit I used as an apprentice nearly 20 years ago and it was all out dated and crap then! The reason Orange bikes are expensive to build is that they are using out dated, inefficient production techniques rather than investing in modern machinery.
    As for the comment above about better quality materials in the UK that is complete horse sh1t. The aluminium stocks in the UK come from the far east so it's the same material the far eastern factories. The quality of frames in general is far better from the far east. Compare the welding on a Cannondale or Giant to an Orange. I can lay turds neater than their welds.
    There are reasons why UK manufacturing is more expensive than in the far east. Wages are only a small factor.
  • Kowalski675
    POAH wrote:

Allegro was a quality vehicle and ahead of it's time.

Are you drunk? :lol:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    POAH wrote:

Actually the Allegro was potentialy a very good car and very advanced for its time. Unfortunately it was built by BL who built cars in much the same way Orange build bikes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rockmonkeysc
    POAH wrote:

Not yet.
    The Allegro did have a square steering wheel though.
  • We have a Orange owner in the house :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    POAH wrote:

Not yet.

And was more aerodynamic when travelling backwards than it was when travelling forwards, lol. It represents everything that was the utter horror of the British car industry. You could keep goldfish in the glovebox when it rained though, lol, which was a pretty novel design feature.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:

Not yet.
    It wasn't square, it was 'Quartic', whatever the fark that means.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Not yet.
    It wasn't square, it was 'Quartic', whatever the fark that means.

Half way between circular and square, by the look of it, lol. Christ, thank f**k car interiors aren't this horrific anymore. It looks like something from communist Russia in the 1960s:

IMG_3444.jpg

Thank god the Japanese killed of the British industry, lol. :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think that Guy bloke summed them up perfectly 'they are what they are'.

And the stereotypical owners and haters will always turn up in these thread!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I learnt to drive in one of those. Splendid car.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Until the suspension collapsed ;-).

The Allegro, not the Orange...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited October 2013
    real r&d in the UK

Ehhhhh bollocks. What R&D have Orange done lately? Apart from spending several hours poring over taiwanese frame catalogues in order to make their road bike, anyway. They're an R&D backwater of the highest order, I don't think there's another big manufacturer that's so static. Just look at their hardtails, when the CEN testing came in Cotic went away and sweated out the details and came back with a frame that was pretty much exactly the same weight, and almost the same price. Orange threw metal at the P7 til it weighed as much as a motorbike, then increased the price.

Especially funny when you consider the route they took to production of the 322, trying 20 different options none of which was any good and pretty much all of which broke before eventually landing on a frame that is within bawhairs of the 222. R&D my arris, that's just throwing ideas at the hills and seeing what sticks, then when nothing does reverting to type.

Whatever else you can say about Orange, you can't say they're innovative.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Angus Young
    supersonic wrote:

Apparently the Bill couldn't tow them away because they bent in the middle if you hitched them up at the front. And that's not a joke.
  • Kowalski675
    supersonic wrote:

Apparently the Bill couldn't tow them away because they bent in the middle if you hitched them up at the front. And that's not a joke.

And the goldfish water spilled out of the glovebox.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I have looked at Orange bikes and though to myself "Wow that's a lot of money for a very average spec". That's the reason I don't have one. I could easily afford one so its not because of the price its just that I have a bit of common sense.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    For me its more of a hate orange full sus bikes...

Why? they ride like a sack spanners and sound like it too, and charge you a premium to do this.. horrible. Last orange owner i met couldn't get over how well my bike came down the DH trails at FOD compared to his orange as he could hardly keep it tracking down the trail.

And ..... Then you woke up...

Hahaha no...

:D
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    supersonic wrote:
    And the stereotypical owners and haters will always turn up in these thread!
    Yeah, how wierd that they turn up!

If there was a thread called "GT Hate", you wouldnt make a peep, would you?
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Lol!

Does seem a bit weird that there we don't get treads called "Specialized Hate", "Trek Hate" and "Giant Hate". Must be a reason for that right? :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    yarp,

Orange suck :P owned one sold it fast... my one mistake when i didnt test ride a bike..
  • pesky_jones
    mudsucker wrote:
    Lol!

Does seem a bit weird that there we don't get treads called "Specialized Hate", "Trek Hate" and "Giant Hate". Must be a reason for that right? :-)

haha, but if there were, would it be unreasonable to assume a fair few spesh/trek/giant owners would pipe up in defence?

The only place I've heard people b1tching about Orange is on the internet. Never heard any riders in real life have any problems with them. Must be a reason for that right? :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    You don't often hear Orange owners complaining but you can hear them coming from a mile away. I can't think of any other bike which makes that amount of noise.
  • pesky_jones
    A motorbike? I joke, I joke.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Is this still dragging on, sensible people are out riding their bikes Orange or otherwise.
  • Angus Young
    What's going on at the back? Looks a little 'industrial'...
  • rockmonkeysc

I believe the word you were looking for is 'agricultural'
  • Angus Young

I believe the word you were looking for is 'agricultural'

Yes, that too.
This discussion has been closed.