Orange Hate

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I don't hate oranges, but I do dislike the price, look, build and ride quality. Lots of good single pivots out there (commencal meta for example); it's the execution not the fundamental design that is flawed. Some people like them I guess. Nutters.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The best thing about Orange bikes is you can identify one coming down a trail long before you see it. They sound like a sack of spanners.

I filled the swingarm of mine with expanding foam, coated it in about a mile of velcro, then fitted a clutch mech. Now it's merely deafening.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I know someone who filled the swing arm of their Five with expanding foam. The foam expanded, the swing arm split open we began taking the p1ss and four years later we haven't stopped.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    :lol:
  • Northwind
    Now that's Halifax build quality in action
    Uncompromising extremist
  • prawny wrote:
    They are the iphone of bikes. You can do better for a lot less money and they have an almost religious following. They are also the default choice for fat rich types.

I'd love one. But I'm neither rich or particularly fat. So I'll make do with my value brands for now, and try one out when I'm 40ish.

Oh dear. Living in a part of the world considered "well off", I rarely see any Fives, the odd Crush, but few Fives. Any of what you think are the archetypal rich types, seem to be on Santa Cruz Tall Boys ;). You might think the iPhone is not the best in the marketplace but it is most certainly one of the best. The Orange is not in the same ball park as it's better cheaper rivals, so a poor comparison.

I'm off to buy a Hope 'd out 5, some fois gras, and an Audi A6 Estate - peace.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Don't get me wrong - I find the Orange hate threads entertaining, but I don't get the level of vitriol. People don't like the bike? Fine. It's a market place. Don't buy one! But I'll be out on the trail in the morning, with my fat-middle-aged cash-rich-time-poor arse on my Five, with a big smile on my face :)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Don't get me wrong - I find the Orange hate threads entertaining, but I don't get the level of vitriol. People don't like the bike? Fine. It's a market place. Don't buy one! But I'll be out on the trail in the morning, with my fat-middle-aged cash-rich-time-poor ars* on my Five, with a big smile on my face :)

A physiologist would have a field day with this thread. You get exactly the same with iPad's.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    stubs wrote:
    Nothing wrong with the hardtails I would happily have one but the F/S bikes again nothing wrong with them they just look grim and some of the welding jeez it must have been done by a blind man on a trampoline.

Their factory uses the same welders and presses I used as an apprentice sheet metal fabricator. Its not high tech kit.

The welding on the top tube to seat tube looks OK to me. The way the swing arm is fabricated does not

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/dialled-rides- ... f-hazzard/
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    The Orange P7 frame became my “must have” frame after it always performed well in group tests 10 years or so ago. I got a frame in 2005 and been riding it since first with SL U turns then with Revelation 426’s.
    Iv'e ridden a few bikes recently with more relaxed and stiffer front ends. The P7 is now showing its age and I’m looking to replace it. If Orange did a modern version of the P7 would I want one, Yes. Would I buy one, No. Orange are just way out of touch with there pricing across their range. I believe they are relying too much on brand loyalty. There are 4 or 5 other brands to choose from for the type of frame I will be looking for at 2/3 to half the price that Orange would charge.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • Kowalski675
    Kajjal wrote:
    Don't get me wrong - I find the Orange hate threads entertaining, but I don't get the level of vitriol. People don't like the bike? Fine. It's a market place. Don't buy one! But I'll be out on the trail in the morning, with my fat-middle-aged cash-rich-time-poor ars* on my Five, with a big smile on my face :)

A physiologist would have a field day with this thread. You get exactly the same with iPad's.

I think you're getting your branches of medicine confused, lol.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Kajjal wrote:

I think you're getting your branches of medicine confused, lol.

My spell checker strikes again :D
  • Northwind
    My physiotherapist loves this thread
    Uncompromising extremist
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    My physicist likes it too.

I got a p7 some time ago because of the reviews - price unimportant because I had a windfall and I don't really go for the economic arguments because so much of the value is not in the cost. That is what branding is all about. I still love the thing because I enjoy it. I don't hate any other bike because I like my p7 but I accept that if I had chosen another bike then I'd like it just as much.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    prawny wrote:
    They are the iphone of bikes. You can do better for a lot less money and they have an almost religious following. They are also the default choice for fat rich types.

I'd love one. But I'm neither rich or particularly fat. So I'll make do with my value brands for now, and try one out when I'm 40ish.

Oh dear. Living in a part of the world considered "well off", I rarely see any Fives, the odd Crush, but few Fives. Any of what you think are the archetypal rich types, seem to be on Santa Cruz Tall Boys ;). You might think the iPhone is not the best in the marketplace but it is most certainly one of the best. The Orange is not in the same ball park as it's better cheaper rivals, so a poor comparison.

I'm off to buy a Hope 'd out 5, some fois gras, and an Audi A6 Estate - peace.

Good point. My point of view is based on where I am, which is not well off. Audi's (A3 sportbacks mainly) and Orange 5s dripping in hope stuff are the business round here. I think Cannock has northern aspirations.

Edit - re the iPhone point. I don't personally know anyone that has bought an iphone because they thought it was the best/one of the best. They buy them because their mate Demi or Lexi or similar has one.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    For me its more of a hate orange full sus bikes...

Why? they ride like a sack spanners and sound like it too, and charge you a premium to do this.. horrible. Last orange owner i met couldn't get over how well my bike came down the DH trails at FOD compared to his orange as he could hardly keep it tracking down the trail.
  • For me its more of a hate orange full sus bikes...

Why? they ride like a sack spanners and sound like it too, and charge you a premium to do this.. horrible. Last orange owner i met couldn't get over how well my bike came down the DH trails at FOD compared to his orange as he could hardly keep it tracking down the trail.

And ..... Then you woke up...
  • Jealousy would be the most appropriate word to some up why. people hate that they can't spend that much on a bike,
    Then slate oranges without getting their leg over one. "Yea I demo'd one and thought it was shit compared to the carrera fury I tried at halfords" translates to couldn't afford it if I pimped my wife for a year. Plus I'm still using stabilizers so don't have the skill to get the full potential out of that kind of bike.
  • That new orange five is 2 pounds heavier that shit I just took, therefore making it impossible to ride uphill downhill or to the shop. Oh dear perhaps its time to put another tampon in. Stop bitching about other peoples bikes and fucking ride your own! No bike is perfect and suits each individual to their own so slagging them shows how a) inexperienced b) uneducated and c) immature you fucking are!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Jealousy would be the most appropriate word to some up why. people hate that they can't spend that much on a bike,

being expensive doesn't make it good - I have no direct comments to make on how the bikes ride but they are well overpriced for their spec which is why I'd never buy one.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No it might actually translate to they have tested it and thought another bike was better?
  • For being over priced I'd have to disagree, they are hand built in the UK(not all the models I know :roll: ) real r&d in the UK quality materials and they are built to last. Building things in this country is a lot more expensive than asia minimum wage proper guidelines, tools safe working environment etc. But its supporting our economy Providing fair paid jobs in our country not outsourcing to maximise profits, with unfair wages in some sweatshop like environment. More focussed on mass production mediocre bikes in a lot I of cases to shift numbers. On bikes that aren't built to there highest potential.
    So if you take into consideration that UK built means less profit margin, outsourcing= huge profit margin.
    who's really being taken for a ride?
  • Not trying to say other bikes aren't better at all, but its a matter of opinion and each individual is going to like different things and preferences. My point is why slag of oranges ? Do orange owners sit and slate every other manufacturer constantly with little or no evidence why or any need to? I think not. just childishness tbh.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    That new orange five is 2 pounds heavier that shoot I just took, therefore making it impossible to ride uphill downhill or to the shop. Oh dear perhaps its time to put another tampon in. Stop bitching about other peoples bikes and ******* ride your own! No bike is perfect and suits each individual to their own so slagging them shows how a) inexperienced b) uneducated and c) immature you ******* are!

I find it ironic you're moaning about people moaning about Oranges and not riding your bike either... :lol: In slagging off people who have a slight dislike for Orange bikes, for various, and often valid reasons, you're just being as bad as you claim we are.

I don't think jealousy comes into it frankly. For some it might, I'm sure as hell not jealous, and tbf if people are jealous, it's because it's an expensive bike, not just an Orange.

I agree no bike is perfect, but in saying people are inexperienced, uneducated and immature, all you've done is make a case for people to say you are all the things you've claimed we are. Now place you Hope tampon back in and grow up a little.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Jealousy would be the most appropriate word to some up why. people hate that they can't spend that much on a bike,
    Then slate oranges without getting their leg over one. "Yea I demo'd one and thought it was shoot compared to the carrera fury I tried at halfords" translates to couldn't afford it if I pimped my wife for a year. Plus I'm still using stabilizers so don't have the skill to get the full potential out of that kind of bike.

Now this here is one of the funniest rants I've read in a long while.

Be Orange if you like, and be proud. Just don't be a plum about it.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • No just seems like sheep all following each other with 1 brain cell between you. Oooh he's slagging off oranges ha I'm going to join in.... you need to grow up pal! And if you read I wasn't slating people who dislike them for genuine reasons every one is entitled to an opinion its the dipshits who do it just for shits and giggles thinking there gods gift when in fact they are about as funny as cancer, so not at all !!!
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Then slate oranges without getting their leg over one. "

Is this some sort of weird sex game :shock: ?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Who says we're joining in for the sake of it? :wink:

Tbf, I've ridden various Orange bikes, Fives, Patriots, Alpines etc. Not one has appealed to me. They're not bad bikes, but there are imo better bikes out there for me. Now if they were reasonable value, I'd be more inclined to recommend them, but for what they are, and let's be honest, a couple of folded pieces of aluminium and one pivot isn't exactly cutting edge and the Five has been fundamentally the same for the best part of a decade now, where is the value? In modern society there's little room for sentiment, if anything it could be argued being made in the UK could be argued as a step back these days, such is the quality of oversea's manufacturing facilities. There are very, very few brands that make all of their bikes in house and usually for good reason. That's my opinion anyway and as you say I and others who've posted in this thread are entitled to it.

It's also worth remembering this is a forum and to take most things you see with a pinch of salt :lol:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    No just seems like sheep all following each other with 1 brain cell between you. Oooh he's slagging off oranges ha I'm going to join in.... you need to grow up pal! And if you read I wasn't slating people who dislike them for genuine reasons every one is entitled to an opinion its the dipshits who do it just for shits and giggles thinking there gods gift when in fact they are about as funny as cancer, so not at all !!!

:lol:

No. Going to have to disagree. All I've seen on page three, from you, has been direct and implied insults about anyone who dares have an opinion about Oranges that don't align with your own. And the quoted post above, really doesn't help that (dipshits, shared brain cells, claimed immaturity)

Man, I haven't passed comment on Orange bikes yet and I'm getting it! :lol:

Keep digging!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Kowalski675
    I think one of these is appropriate here:

Rottenecards_72409312_3bfh9tcs8r.png
This discussion has been closed.