FUGIO is back as a Ridley!!!!

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    It may ride better but it sure is uglier! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Re. the graphics/uglier... I think it's the reason I got it for a bag of nuts... in real life it actually looks very nice... it's just not very photogenic
    Re. the gold bar... 5 quid worth of bar tape, I actually like it

Re. Barston/Fen end... basically every day going into work and back, when I don't take the main B4101, which I do a lot since it has been resurfaced last month

Re. carbon: possibly, but it needs to come down in price. I am really not keen to spend big money on bicycles anymore
    left the forum March 2023
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    menthel wrote:

That's just you're opinion man,,,

I like it but I might be biased :roll: :) ;sort of makes me wish I'd got one instead of the Planet X.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • ugo.santalucia
    oldbazza wrote:
    menthel wrote:

I like it but I might be biased :roll: :) ;sort of makes me wish I'd got one instead of the Planet X.

I always wanted a Ridley... the geometry is really cyclocross, no compromises. Too many of these off road drop bar bikes are bastardised these days. Funny enough, I like the CX geometry for road use, but that's me being weird, I guess :roll:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Re. the graphics/uglier... I think it's the reason I got it for a bag of nuts... in real life it actually looks very nice... it's just not very photogenic
    I was just yanking your chain, but I'm sure you knew that. I like the shape of the frame, I don't even object to the bar tape too much. The Fugio is a particularly pretty frame though.
    How it feels to you is more important than all of that of course.
    I still like those wheels.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I was just yanking your chain, but I'm sure you knew that. I like the shape of the frame, I don't even object to the bar tape too much. The Fugio is a particularly pretty frame though.
    How it feels to you is more important than all of that of course.
    I still like those wheels.

The Fugio would have been a good bike with a decent fork... the original was a bit of a strange geometry and it broke anyway... unfortunately the Planet X I got as a replacement of the original is quite crappy and weighs like a block of concrete. I did look around for fork upgrades, but the least one has to spend for something vaguely decent is around 250 quid. With less than that I got full carbon fork AND a lighter/stiffer frame in as new conditions.

The Fugio will be used as spare bike/ commuter as soon as I get my head round building it... I've got most components already
  • veronese68
    That's definitely a good buy. I thought you could easily get your money back if you sold the Fugio.
    I've still got the BB7s that came off mine I think. There were some very cheap 6 bolt discs on Ebay a while ago, bought some as spares and they seem to be flat and round. Supersonic posted the link, about £10 a pair I think. Fine for a spare bike if you're not going down mountains.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    That's definitely a good buy. I thought you could easily get your money back if you sold the Fugio.
    I've still got the BB7s that came off mine I think. There were some very cheap 6 bolt discs on Ebay a while ago, bought some as spares and they seem to be flat and round. Supersonic posted the link, about £10 a pair I think. Fine for a spare bike if you're not going down mountains.

I think all I need is

1 caliper (might upgrade the rear Ridley to a HyRD and put the current one on the Fugio)
    1 chainset (might go for a single) + bottom bracket
    1 rear hub
    2 rims
    some cables

Should have all the rest
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    oldbazza wrote:
    menthel wrote:

I always wanted a Ridley... the geometry is really cyclocross, no compromises. Too many of these off road drop bar bikes are bastardised these days. Funny enough, I like the CX geometry for road use, but that's me being weird, I guess :roll:

Really like the Planet X on the road,perfectly comfy enough and can scoot along nicely at 30kph+;plus it's good on any gravelly cycle paths or rough fen droves as well especially now it's running tubeless.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • ugo.santalucia
    had a day off, so left home early this morning and I took it for spin, as these days a 175Km ride is called... nice! :-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ten intense days for the Ridley, it's done nearly 350 miles... it's hard as a nail, didn't expect it to be so much more brutal than the Fugio... in a nice way... would not recommend one for the "comfort" looking folks though... :-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    I have built the Fugio 853 as a single speed for commuting... tried to keep the cost as low as possible... I have rustled up some components I had in the garage and spent another 300 pounds for a rear hub, rims, spokes, Alfine chainset, sprocket, chain tensioner, spacers, pedals, brake cables and a pair of Tektro brake levers. Very pleased with it... I took a punt on the 42 x 16 ratio, which seems spot on for my rolling but not overly hilly commute

fugio%201_zpsi8ta2sgy.jpg
    fugio%202_zps78tyhlyf.jpg
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Very nice Ugo, it looks nicely balanced. And what looks right quite often is right.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    Would look better with a track chainset, but I decided not to go the square taper/half an inch route
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Begs the question: why?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ber Nard wrote:
    Begs the question: why?

All the geared stuff has gone on the Ridley frame (lighter, stiffer, meaner, see above)... but I didn't want to part with the Fugio frame and I happen to need a decent commuter... single speed is ideal round here, as it's rolling but there are no small ring climbs, all the way down to the Cotswolds
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Ah! Forgot about the Ridley. Carry on!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Greetings from the Highlands

1DllBDo.jpg
  • drlodge
    Look beautiful, and the bike too!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    drlodge wrote:
    Look beautiful, and the bike too!

It is the most beautiful road in the land... best avoided in August though, as it's clogged with holiday makers trying to climb up with all sorts of inappropriate vehicles.
    I was expecting it to be much harder... the 11/10 Simon Warren gives it is more for the scenery than for the difficulty... didn't even have to use my 36 T sprocket... :mrgreen:
  • drlodge
    Bealach-na-Ba?
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yes...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    That fugio really is a good looking frame.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Fitted a pair of Juin-Tech R1 brakes... smooth... also, I had an old pair of Campagnolo Veloce shifters, which no longer worked, so I removed all the internals and made them into the lightest brake levers on the market... especially as I have also removed the worn out hoods... who need rubber hoods? Coppi and Anquestil didn't have them :mrgreen:

DSC_5561_zpsy1d00mtt.jpg
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Fitted a pair of Juin-Tech R1 brakes... smooth... also, I had an old pair of Campagnolo Veloce shifters, which no longer worked, so I removed all the internals and made them into the lightest brake levers on the market... especially as I have also removed the worn out hoods... who need rubber hoods? Coppi and Anquestil didn't have them :mrgreen:

DSC_5561_zpsy1d00mtt.jpg

Ugo - what are your thoughts on the Juin -Tech's. Have read some glowing reports but mostly in magazine articles. Just wondered what they were like in the real world? Will you be doing a review in your blog? How do they compare to other cable actuated disc brakes (TRP Spyres/ Hy/Rd)

Just thinking forward to my next build project that will probably be based on a disc frame. Don't really want the expense and faff of full hydraulics - can't really justify it for my normal pootling.
  • They seem OK, but I've only used them twice in sub zero temperature, so hard to say.
    You can adjust the pads distance, which in turn means the lever throw, but the instructions in Chinenglish seem to imply you need to adjust the pads distance to compensate for pad wear, which in theory hydraulics don't need... time will tell

EDIT: just read Bender's review and indeed they will not compensate for wear. The dial adjustment is easy enough, it only takes 5 seconds with no tools to adjust the pads, so in practice it is a non-issue

I think the best system on the market is the Hope V-Twin with E4 brakes (not the standard X2)... but it's 300 quid... however, in theory they are better calipers than any Shimano full hydraulic system you can buy and would probably be my choice if I had to descend the Angliru
  • veronese68
    I think the best system on the market is the Hope V-Twin with E4 brakes (not the standard X2)... but it's 300 quid...
    My used Parabox was only £50 and is a similar set up. Bit of a faff to fit as it hadn't been removed with any care, but has been faultless since. Very good indeed. Never had to adjust anything, need to remember to check pad wear every now and then as you don't have the need for adjustment to remind you.
  • DSC_5572_zpsnnqi3i62.jpg

Needed a good wash!
  • Yeah, sorry, your email ended up in my junk for some reason! They don't compensate, as at the end of the review, but, in practice so far, that's not been an issue. You get used to dialling in stuff like the BB7, Spyre etc so it's a minor issue and, for me, the ability to get a closer pad and resultant less lever travel is good. Mine are still going strong.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Details are everything... the ten speed logo on a single speed bike bothered me, sorted now... :mrgreen:

DSC_5575_zpsay6nx1xl.jpg