FUGIO is back as a Ridley!!!!

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    "Timeless ready" sounds like a great piece of marketing spiel. :)
  • Balls. Kindle predictive text is a nightmare and needs more vigilance than my lazy arse can manage.

I am curious about tubeless, though not likely to make the change any time soon. My MTB riding friends swear by Stans rims and tubeless tyres and my interest was piqued by the possibility of tubeless on a 'gravel bike'. Mind you I have no idea what tyres you would spec and if you swap rubber regularly it's a bad idea. But then, you being a wheebuilder you must have a few spare sets lying around the house.
  • But then, you being a wheebuilder you must have a few spare sets lying around the house.

You would think so, but no... being minimalist I have two bikes and three sets of wheels, only one of which is for discs... :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    You're ahead of the curve Ugo. Everyone who's anyone (and by that I mean a bunch of internet blowhards and time-wasters) is banging on about 'grave bikes' and whatnot.

Nice bike. Headtube seems very short...
    I like to think so... while some are still riding the long and frankly now tired carbon wave, I embrace the new trend of do it all bikes... it's a new Marin County revolution here in Britain... although I have no Gary Fisher resemblance.... :mrgreen:

The headtube is significantly shorter than the Croix de fer, which is probably the reason why more weight drops on the front of the bike etc... it should handle like God on gravel and cobbles... I just need more of it to find out.
    Someone more CX oriented might have kept more of the forks, but I have always ridden my bikes with low bars and this makes no exception

Re. the colour scheme... frankly not the best in the world, I think it is a grower... we'll look back at it as a classic, like those early Look carbon frames of the 1990s
    Picked up the 2014 Genesis catalogue for my non-bike commute today (thank you APEX Cycles Clapham!). The Fugio has the most aggressive geo of all Genesis non-road bikes. Like advertised, it's very similar to the alu Vaypor (is that a shoe?) but the HTA is half a degree steeper at 72. A proper CX angle in my book. The HT is extremly short eg. 143mm for a 58cm with a 57 cm TT, but I suppose you need to factor in ~1cm for the bottom cup. But that seems generous, maybe 6mm in practice? Makes Ugo's slammed bar position look even more impressive!

Last thing that's interesting is the Fugio's wheelbase is much shorter than the Vapour, more like the CdF's. Must be the diff in TT length plus a bit of HTA thrown in for good measure. Too bad the BB drop is 'only' 65mm. Would 70mm preclude you from riding the South London CX Route?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Picked up the 2014 Genesis catalogue for my non-bike commute today (thank you APEX Cycles Clapham!). The Fugio has the most aggressive geo of all Genesis non-road bikes. Like advertised, it's very similar to the alu Vaypor (is that a shoe?) but the HTA is half a degree steeper at 72. A proper CX angle in my book. The HT is extremly short eg. 143mm for a 58cm with a 57 cm TT, but I suppose you need to factor in ~1cm for the bottom cup. But that seems generous, maybe 6mm in practice? Makes Ugo's slammed bar position look even more impressive!

Last thing that's interesting is the Fugio's wheelbase is much shorter than the Vapour, more like the CdF's. Must be the diff in TT length plus a bit of HTA thrown in for good measure. Too bad the BB drop is 'only' 65mm. Would 70mm preclude you from riding the South London CX Route?

I have to admit I didn't even look at those numbers... I bought it for the full carbon fork, the 853 steel and the unusual colour scheme.
    I find bikes are just dough that you can mould into any shape you want and that's true for the Fugio too. I don't have competitive aspirations, therefore I have no idea how good a crosser it is compared to the competition. I just know I don't buy aluminium frames as eventually they all crack and I don't buy carbon frames as the good ones are out of my price range, they require "professional care" which I am not prepared to pay for as opposed to home care which I can do with my tools for free and they are not very versatile
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    A few "upgrades"... I shed about a pound (now ca. 9.5 Kg) by getting a Fizik Arione saddle and going TUBELESS with my Vittoria XN... first tubeless ride this morning (Tamsin Trail + Thames Path)... nothing significantly different, except quicker acceleration, not sure if that's better grip of lighter tyre (the fat tubes are about 120 grams each).
    The wheels have also been rebuilt on the newest hard core Novatec 541/542 hubs... of which I believe this is the only pair in the country... 8). The Cassette now goes up to 30 teeth, which works better for the sharp off road climbs

DSC_2653_zps4a5e2a90.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    and a lovely pair I'm sure they are...
  • ugo.santalucia
    New rims and new fork (the original one cracked... :roll: ) here back with high mileage tyres

DSC_3051_zpsf2ad87b3.jpg

DSC_3048.JPG
  • Mark__gti
    Mark__gti Posts: 177
    Whats the reason for changing the rims? still tubeless?
  • ugo.santalucia
    trying new rims... the best way to give advice on rims is to try them for yourself... :D

I have been luring over a set of these for ages... I run these tyres tubed, will go tubeless when I fit some cross tyres
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    New rims and new fork (the original one cracked... :roll:

How did you spot the crack and any idea why it happened?
  • OK Ugo - can we have your thoughts in the Hed Belguim rims please.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I built the HED yesterday... give me a few days... :oops:

The crack in the fork: it was doing creaking noises and even after tightening the headset etc, it was still knocking and creaking... so I disassembled it and found a vertical crack at the base of the steerer. Madison have no spares, not even for the Vapour which is similarly tapered, so I bought the Planet X one, which is ace
  • ugo.santalucia
    First thoughts on the HED + rims here

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... -and-wider
  • ugo.santalucia
    ... and with more suitable tyres

DSC_3103_zpsb4001dc9.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    They look pretty good and at 25mm they are a good width for CX. $300 for a set of hoops is quite a lot though!
  • Paul 8v
    Out of interest you mentioned going tubeless for cross tyres, what tyres will that be? There doesn't seem to be a massive range available at the moment. I wish Schwalbe would bring some out, they do a tubeless one (Super swan) but you can only get it on new Giants?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Out of interest you mentioned going tubeless for cross tyres, what tyres will that be? There doesn't seem to be a massive range available at the moment. I wish Schwalbe would bring some out, they do a tubeless one (Super swan) but you can only get it on new Giants?

I have used Vittoria XN on Stans tubeless. Yesterday I tried to go tubeless with a set of Vittoria XG on the HED rims, but couldn't get any pressure in the tyre with a track pump... eventually I gave up and fitted inner tubes. With non tubeless tyres it's a bit of hit and a miss... moral: I need a compressor.

The HED rims are horrendously expensive and in the end ride pretty much the same as the Archetype... but having built several hundred Archetype rims I am a bit fed up of seeing them... yet, they are still pound for pound the best rims around
  • Paul 8v
    Can the archetypes be run tubeless? I thought the Iron Crosses might be a nice alternative to the H Plus son to be fair but i'm not sure if it's worth it as there just isn't the range of CX tubeless available as it stands
  • ugo.santalucia
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Can the archetypes be run tubeless? I thought the Iron Crosses might be a nice alternative to the H Plus son to be fair but i'm not sure if it's worth it as there just isn't the range of CX tubeless available as it stands

Yes, they can.
    The Iron cross is a very light, CX-disc specific rim. If you don't race, you don't need it. It won't take real world pressure and it won't take road tyres.
  • Paul 8v
    Ah, to be fair if I'm going to build up a second set of disc wheels it would be "For best" i.e. racing and I'd keep the originals for commuting and mucking around on so that might be the one to go for if they start making the tyres I want in tubeless that is.
  • majormantra
    FWIW I've got standard Vittoria XG Pros set up tubeless on Iron Crosses. Ugo is right that it's not a versatile rim though - they aren't meant for road pressures at all. There's a tubeless specific version of the tyre too.
  • Paul 8v
    To be honest I'm not a massive convert when it comes to tubeless road tyres, the benefit for me lies with off road tyres and the ability to run lower pressures. Interesting to know the XG pro can be run tubeless.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Paul 8v wrote:
    To be honest I'm not a massive convert when it comes to tubeless road tyres, the benefit for me lies with off road tyres and the ability to run lower pressures. Interesting to know the XG pro can be run tubeless.

They can if you can build pressure in the damn tyre to make it pop on the rim... :evil:
  • majormantra
    On the Stans Rims (with 2 layers of Superstar tape) they seated very easily using the soapy water method and a cheap track pump.
  • ugo.santalucia
    On the Stans Rims (with 2 layers of Superstar tape) they seated very easily using the soapy water method and a cheap track pump.

I'll try again... it was a hot day and after a bit of pumping I was covered in sweat and gave up. I have tried to put the Randonneur PRO tubeless and they go on a treat, although I have then fitted tubes inside, as they are punctureproof anyway
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I will have to see how wide my favourite clincher tyres the Open Pave get on these rims or perhaps the Conti GP4000s 28mm. I am hoping the conti's will spread to 30mm. Your experience with tubeless is why I don't bother it's too hit and miss. Latex tubes for me.

Damm nice rims.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Fitted a pair of Schwalbe One Tubeless 25 mm to review, courtesy of Schwalbe UK. Incredibly easy to put on and faff free... I might even run them without sealant for a while. On my HED Plus they come at a plump 27 mm... they look awesome

tubeless_zpsc7a6e3f1.jpg
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Yes they do, but do tell us how they ride. I have a pair of One clinchers in the basement that arrived last week as replacements for my current tyres. Wondering whether i should ditch my current tyres early.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I've only done a dozen miles into work this morning... but they feel fantastic. Very similar to a top end racing tubular and I have not really noticed the extra 100 grams weight penalty per tyre over my Corsa CX tubs in 23 mm