FUGIO is back as a Ridley!!!!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    MrB123 wrote:
    Looking good.

What's your verdict on the HyRd? Weighing up my options for a future Croix de Fer build and wondering if the HyRd will be worth the extra over a Spyre, at least for the front brake.

It is very good, but when the pads wear, the amount the pistons can compensate is limited. Basically when the pad is half its width it becomes pretty useless. For CX I would not recommend them, but for road use they are very good, if you keep it clean
    left the forum March 2023
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    where had that lovely saddle your wife made you gone :?: :(
  • ugo.santalucia
    gaanrowl wrote:

I still have it... it's a bit less white... why, do you want it? :wink:
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    gaanrowl wrote:

a white saddle wont suit my new build unfortunatly, i just appreceiate lovely hand made things, if it had been black then i might have snapped your hand off :wink:
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    MrB123 wrote:
    Looking good.

What's your verdict on the HyRd? Weighing up my options for a future Croix de Fer build and wondering if the HyRd will be worth the extra over a Spyre, at least for the front brake.

It is very good, but when the pads wear, the amount the pistons can compensate is limited. Basically when the pad is half its width it becomes pretty useless. For CX I would not recommend them, but for road use they are very good, if you keep it clean

Agreed. Ironically they reckon the Spyres don't work as well in mud as the Hy Rd. I reckon they'll be fine.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia
    gaanrowl wrote:
    gaanrowl wrote:

a white saddle wont suit my new build unfortunatly, i just appreceiate lovely hand made things, if it had been black then i might have snapped your hand off :wink:

The brown one in the photo is also a re-covered saddle, just a simple plain job on a scuffed Antares... I prefer it to be honest... I don't like white saddles. She doesn't really like to do saddles, as there isn't much in the way of design and creativity...
  • A bit of festive spark, with gold Deda bar tape, which looks less dreadful than it sounds and a Condor Strada carbon seatpost, which adds nothing to the comfort but it looks nice

DSC_4839_zpshcojp1sx.jpg
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    A bit of festive spark, with gold Deda bar tape, which looks less dreadful than it sounds and a Condor Strada carbon seatpost, which adds nothing to the comfort but it looks nice

DSC_4839_zpshcojp1sx.jpg

You almost get away with the gold! ;) Those seatposts are nice for the little they cost.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Still love this bike. The slammed stem is a proper FU to the, now trendy, gravel bikes.

Given up on the 180 front disc or is the picture deceiving?
  • Still love this bike. The slammed stem is a proper FU to the, now trendy, gravel bikes.

Given up on the 180 front disc or is the picture deceiving?

Given up, yes, it wasn't significantly better and the risk of wrecking the fork mounts wasn't worth the very marginal difference. I'd probably use it with a steel fork, but these carbon fork's mounts with alloy threads look pretty flimsy to me.

I hate the gravel bike geometries,although they probably make sense. This one does 99% road these days. It's been so muddy out there that I haven't ventured out of tarmac for months... nevertheless I have fitted CX tyres for the winter, given the state of the lanes round here, they give me a bit more confidence
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Looks great. Although I think a silver seatpost (Campag or Nitto) and matching silver stem would look even better!
  • Looks great. Although I think a silver seatpost (Campag or Nitto) and matching silver stem would look even better!

I had a silver seatpost and someone commented I should get a black one... :lol:

I'm building a bike for my wife, so I passed her my Chorus steel seatpost and upgraded to a carbon one, which makes no difference at all
  • Looks great. Although I think a silver seatpost (Campag or Nitto) and matching silver stem would look even better!

I'm building a bike for my wife, so I passed her my Chorus steel seatpost and upgraded to a carbon one, which makes no difference at all

Me probably. :D

Take care with that seatpost. It's generic and branded. Tifosi do one as well. My Condor one has been fine in the Bivio, but getting the Tifosi one out of the Croix required some effort.

Me probably. :D

Take care with that seatpost. It's generic and branded. Tifosi do one as well. My Condor one has been fine in the Bivio, but getting the Tifosi one out of the Croix required some effort.

The good thing about carbon is that if need be, it's easy to saw... :wink:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

I hate the gravel bike geometries,although they probably make sense.

Sensible response to a daft comment. Gravel bikes are the geometry that they are because that's what makes sense on gravel :roll: If you aren't riding on that type of surface but on road then you want something closer to road bike geometry. But I wouldn't want to descend a tortuous gnarly loose surface using a slammed front end - at best it would be murder on the hands and wrist and, at worst, you'll be over the bars before you know it.

Nice bike, though, Ugo - looks very pragmatic and useable.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • When I bought the frame I wanted to get into cyclocross, then I went to see a couple of races at Hillingdon and realised it's exhausting but a bit dull*
    Last winter we did a few nice rides in the Chilterns and last summer we did a stretch of the Ridgeway in Wiltshire, but when it gets overly muddy I no longer enjoy it...
    As a road bike it's no different from road bikes I had in the past... a couple of Kg heavier, but otherwise same thing

* without wanting to open a can of worms
  • meanredspider
    I know - I've often wondered about CX as I like riding off-road - then I watch it on TV and yawn. Not only that but the idea of carrying your bike seems daft.

I'm enjoying fatter tyres on my commute - means I care far less about where I ride. Definitely not as fast, at 35c and 60tpi, as the Paves I'd normally use. But it's only a 30-minute ride so it doesn't matter and it does make it more mentally relaxing: just pedal.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Ber Nard

Sensible response to a daft comment. Gravel bikes are the geometry that they are because that's what makes sense on gravel :roll: If you aren't riding on that type of surface but on road then you want something closer to road bike geometry. But I wouldn't want to descend a tortuous gnarly loose surface using a slammed front end - at best it would be murder on the hands and wrist and, at worst, you'll be over the bars before you know it.

Don't get precious. Obviously they're designed for a purpose (catering for fat people with bad backs). They just look sh!t.
  • meanredspider

Don't get precious. Obviously they're designed for a purpose (catering for fat people with bad backs). They just look sh!t.

I'm not getting precious - I was just impressed by Ugo's sensible response to a stupid comment. Why didn't you pick on downhill MTBs? After all, the handlebars on those are really high - and flat too - with big suspension and very fat tyres. They must be for people that are huge and pretty much in traction their backs are so bad... :wink:
  • I know - I've often wondered about CX as I like riding off-road - then I watch it on TV and yawn. Not only that but the idea of carrying your bike seems daft.

I'm enjoying fatter tyres on my commute - means I care far less about where I ride. Definitely not as fast, at 35c and 60tpi, as the Paves I'd normally use. But it's only a 30-minute ride so it doesn't matter and it does make it more mentally relaxing: just pedal.

I've taken the CX well off road. Let me see if I can link to the route I took. It was fine at 33c. With something like the Viner Strada Bianca running 40c WTB Nano I couldn't see my needing a MTB unless I wanted to do serious off roading. Which I never would.
    https://goo.gl/photos/SWjpRbJJknjR3Wrz6
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    A slammed front end makes just as much sense on loose gravel as it does on road to be honest. More weight on the front means more grip, which is just what you want for loose surfaces.
  • meanredspider
    Absolutely - done lots of fire road and MTB singletrack. There are still parts of the forest out the back that I wouldn't attempt on anything other than the MTB. Horses for courses.
  • meanredspider
    A slammed front end makes just as much sense on loose gravel as it does on road to be honest. More weight on the front means more grip, which is just what you want for loose surfaces.

Which end is your bike powered?
  • Ber Nard
    But which end of the bike would you rather have sliding around?

Downhill bikes aren't derived from road bikes. Besides, the trend there is for long and low so you can weight the front, anyway.

I commented because Ugo's bike reminds me of custom motorcycles - like a street fighter or something. That appeals to me more than these designed-by the-marketing-department gravel bikes.

I commented because Ugo's bike reminds me of custom motorcycles - like a street fighter or something.

Exactly... I like to think of it as a Frankenbike... most components are not meant to work with each other, yet they do and very well indeed
  • meanredspider
    What do you do on a sharp loose descent - lean as far over the front of the bike as possible or hang your ass out the back? About the only time you don't get enough weight on the front is on very steep climbs when you're compromised between keeping the front wheel down and getting weight over the rear wheel for traction.
    Not only that but if you're on a rough surface you don't want loads of weight on your hands and, if you want to get lower, use the drops.

And it's not the marketing departments that design the original bikes (in the same way that they didn't invent the original MTBs). It's the marketing departments that design the bikes that are style over function - like the hipster fixies. Take a company like Volagi (started as half a dozen people, many from the same family) - they designed the Viaje which was an adventure/gravel bike before they became mainstream - function over form.

I like Ugo's bike too. But, as Ugo says, it's a road bike.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Picked up a Ridley X-ride frameset from a fellow forum user for just over 200 quid and built it up with the previous components. Lost nearly 1Kg, stiffer, more responsive and meaner... what's not to like? 8)

Ridley_zpscoe5wwy4.jpg
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    what's not to like? 8)
    The graphics, the Fugio was prettier. :wink:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Looks great Ugo, just please change the bar tape colour ;-) I guess you can ride that pretty much anywhere, road or gravel, rain or shine. If you can only have one bike, I guess that would be it! Nice job.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    It'll be interesting to hear if you notice the 1 kilo weight loss and looks as though you've got more saddle setback than me.

No doubt I'll see that bike blasting past me over Barston/Fen End way one of the summer days.

Carbon frame next?