FUGIO is back as a Ridley!!!!

Comments

• Should be good. The front is always lazier as it's got more load to stop... the rear locks easily as all the weight is transferred to the front as you brake.
    However, if set up correctly, the front should be sharp enough
    left the forum March 2023
  • Off topic, but I took a better photo this morning... female red deer with her two cubs and a crow on the head.... :D

DSC_3601_zps4a4402c2.jpg
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Nice! Looks cold

Yeah, Richmond Park can easily get 3 degrees below the surrounding built up areas... wednesday morning was probably around -3 to -4 in the cold spots
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Ouch! Minus 2 was bad enough for me the other day!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Aren't they called fawns?
  • coriordan wrote:

added to the dictionary! :D
  • coriordan wrote:

added to the dictionary! :D

Are Red Deer young not called Calves (Calf) and the adult female called Hind?
  • I fancied trying a Shimano XT rear derailleur... so I got a 9 speed one top feed. Shimano pull ratio for 9 is 2.5 mm, Campagnolo 11 Ergos pull is 2.6 mm, close enough... so I got myself a pair of Record 11 Ergos, offered on this very site at much reduced price because of a cosmetic scratch...
    The system works flawlessly, even in the absence of a barrel adjuster for indexing... I mean better than most matching groupsets I had in the past. Awesome!
    Now the world is my oyster, as I can fit any MTB cassette I fancy... 8)
    DSC_3673_zps0700794d.jpg
    DSC_3672_zpsad59dee6.jpg
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I've never worked out why Shimano don't use their Shadow technology on their road mechs.
  • Ber Nard wrote:
    I've never worked out why Shimano don't use their Shadow technology on their road mechs.

It's got no barrel adjuster... that is not to say that it would be hard to fit one. Not ideally suited to bikes with bottom cable routing maybe?
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard wrote:

It's got no barrel adjuster... that is not to say that it would be hard to fit one. Not ideally suited to bikes with bottom cable routing maybe?

It's actually better for bikes with chainstay routing - there's no loop. I cut down the gear cable by several inches when I fitted one to the touring bike. I thought it may be down to fitting Di2 motors but the XTR Di2 mech proves otherwise.

As an aside, I think XT is a brilliant groupset. Like you say, works flawlessly and is decent value.
  • I only have the XT rear Mech... I had an XT group set 10 years ago and it was awesome value for money
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    XT is the sweet spot between performance and cost. XTR is too expensive to replace if you smash it up which on an MTB is reasonably likely!
  • Here is the 11-to-9 conversion... complete with a new 180 mm Ice Tech front rotor for good measure... 8)

bike_zpszny2l8th.jpg
  • Ber Nard
    So you just don't use two clicks of the RH shifter?
  • Ber Nard wrote:
    So you just don't use two clicks of the RH shifter?

Yes... they are at the bottom of the cassette, after the 11T sprocket. If used, they simply slacken the cable, as the limiting screw prevents the chain from derailing any further.
  • Hi Ugo
    I'm looking at the Fugio as a winter bike/ gravel bike - just wondered if its comfortable for long haul rides? they have a good deal on the frame at the moment for £499 at ukbikesdepot...

Other options are the Diverge or possibly the bowman pilgrims frame - but I think the diverge will be quite a bit heavier, any thoughts?
  • Fugio is not a light frameset... the fork is light, but mine failed. The frame is actually quite solid... close to 2 Kg.

It has a very racey geometry, which I do like, but some might find uncomfortable for long rides... if you are used to full on race bikes, it might be the one for you, but if you are used to sportive type geometry, maybe you have to look at something more relaxed like Croix de Fer
  • Ok thanks, my real beef is weight but I don't want a carbon bike and really like my day one but it's really heavy!
    I'm using a BMC SLX01 as my main bike so used to a bit of a race setup, i'm tempted by the Bowman Bike but they're a bit new..., choices choices! :?
  • My Fugio as you see it in the last photo is just shy of 10 Kg... could be lighter with lighter hubs and bits and bobs, I reckon 9 Kg is doable
  • Most of the bikes of that type are around 10-11 kg so I think I should stop worrying about it, good training for summer anyway, I must admit that the look of the bike is playing quite a factor - hate the look of the GT Grade, love the look of Rose bike and most of the Genesis range!
  • The way it looks is 50% TBH
  • Ok decision to be made and I'll post up when I've bought and assembled, thanks for your thoughts
  • Cool bike, a black chainset would look awesome, on the flat railway trails where I live that bike would be a beast!
  • Cool bike, a black chainset would look awesome, on the flat railway trails where I live that bike would be a beast!

Today I kept up fine on a 50 miles club ride with those tyres and at the end I leaded them up a stretch of the Ridgeway just off Wendover/The Hale, where they had to dismount and walk with their road tyres... :mrgreen:
  • ledeev
    ledeev Posts: 208
    Here is the 11-to-9 conversion... complete with a new 180 mm Ice Tech front rotor for good measure... 8)

bike_zpszny2l8th.jpg

Lovely set up. The best of all worlds.

How do you find the 180mm rotor? I've got a 160mm on the front of my winter bike and, despite having a lack of power am nervous about putting a 180 on there. Over-stressing the fork and all that.
  • Not a whole lot different. I don't think the fork gets particularly stressed to be honest
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Mega sized MTB cassette 11-34 for spinning up those 1:4 climbs... HyRD front brake with upgraded Nukeproof pads and IRC Roadlite tubeless road tyres... ta dah... :mrgreen:

DSC_4325_zpsaftvk5kb.jpg
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Looking good.

What's your verdict on the HyRd? Weighing up my options for a future Croix de Fer build and wondering if the HyRd will be worth the extra over a Spyre, at least for the front brake.