FUGIO is back as a Ridley!!!!

Comments

• When I first saw the pics I thought the tyres were Schwalbe Marathon pluses, what are the Vittoria Randonneur PRO 32 tyres like as I need to replace my SMP's on my CX soon and quite fancy something a bit lighter and not so dead!
    I like the bike BTW!

They are touring tyres and as such they are exceptional. Fast rolling on tarmac, sure footed on gravel and loose. Not so good on mud and soft ground, they are not CX tyres after all. What they are exceptional at is avoiding punctures and big mileage. Weight is about 400-450 per tyre, so not a feather, but not a stone either. Overall it is the best tyre I have ever ridden, if you ride on mixed on-off road and can't afford the luxury of proper race tyres

Cheers ugo, that's a lot lighter than SMP's then which come in about 750gm on 28C. I was thinking of going back up to 32 and you've just convinced me.
  • When I first saw the pics I thought the tyres were Schwalbe Marathon pluses, what are the Vittoria Randonneur PRO 32 tyres like as I need to replace my SMP's on my CX soon and quite fancy something a bit lighter and not so dead!
    I like the bike BTW!

They are touring tyres and as such they are exceptional. Fast rolling on tarmac, sure footed on gravel and loose. Not so good on mud and soft ground, they are not CX tyres after all. What they are exceptional at is avoiding punctures and big mileage. Weight is about 400-450 per tyre, so not a feather, but not a stone either. Overall it is the best tyre I have ever ridden, if you ride on mixed on-off road and can't afford the luxury of proper race tyres

Cheers ugo, that's a lot lighter than SMP's then which come in about 750gm on 28C. I was thinking of going back up to 32 and you've just convinced me.

Planet X have them half price!!!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ordered - cheers!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Where have you saved the weight? I have a Croix de Fer built up with Kinesis Crosslights, Ultegra + Lyras, Zipp SL cockpit, SLK post and SLR Ti saddle, and that comes in at 10.28kg with pedals on Vittoria Pave 24s (250g/tyre). It's about 11.5 in riding trim with full guards, lights and toolbag.

Is the Fugio frameset that much lighter?
  • 964Cup wrote:
    Where have you saved the weight? I have a Croix de Fer built up with Kinesis Crosslights, Ultegra + Lyras, Zipp SL cockpit, SLK post and SLR Ti saddle, and that comes in at 10.28kg with pedals on Vittoria Pave 24s (250g/tyre). It's about 11.5 in riding trim with full guards, lights and toolbag.

Is the Fugio frameset that much lighter?

The frameset is 800 grams lighter, mainly it's the fork as the frame is very similar in weight. Ifthere was a nice full carbon fork that fitted the CdF, that would be the most sensible solution... But I have not been able to source one and those carbon/alloy ones are a bit of an expensive compromise solution
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Nice bike but the forks appear to be wearing flares! ;)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

Have a look at Pinarello forks, then we can talk which forks look silly... :mrgreen:
    The forks are great actually... I like this bike a lot in fact, it does exactly what I want such bike to do, which is drag me out of the main road an onto paths and bridles.
    This morning I had an hour to kill and headed to Richmond park for a couple of laps... ended up lapping on the dirt perimeter path... it just doesn't want to stay on the road... :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

Have a look at Pinarello forks, then we can talk which forks look silly... :mrgreen:

You won't find me arguing with that! Funny how the Opera variation of those forks manages to look a lot less silly though........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Oooh, this is nice.

I have a 2010 Croix De Fer which could be canibalised in a similar manner, must resist.
  • jotko wrote:
    Oooh, this is nice.

I have a 2010 Croix De Fer which could be canibalised in a similar manner, must resist.

Yeah, you just need a headset and a new front derailleur, as this feeds from the top and you need a couple of pieces of outer cable to route the gear cables... otherwise you can transfer everything no probs
  • Great bike. I saw one in July when a guy was "testing?" one whilst doing a charity ride around the Yorkshire Wolds.
    He had some hydraulic brakes as well I recall.

It started off my "need" for discs and bigger tyres for bridleways and touring. I have gone the Salsa Vaya route though, but essentially it a similar type of idea. It is being assembled now

I didn't know that Veloce ergo levers can be used with discs - do the 10 speed work as well ?

I will also look at those tyres - sound good
  • Great bike. I saw one in July when a guy was "testing?" one whilst doing a charity ride around the Yorkshire Wolds.
    He had some hydraulic brakes as well I recall.

It started off my "need" for discs and bigger tyres for bridleways and touring. I have gone the Salsa Vaya route though, but essentially it a similar type of idea. It is being assembled now

I didn't know that Veloce ergo levers can be used with discs - do the 10 speed work as well ?

I will also look at those tyres - sound good

I wish, no the brakes are mechanical and can be operated with any road lever, including Veloce 9 or 10. You will not regret it, the modern cross bikes are so versatile that you won't feel the need for another bike... and yes, if you only do light off road, the Vittoria Randonneur PRO are an excellent compromise, as they won't slow you down on the road, while CX tyres are a drag and puncture easily
  • Just fitted my new tyres, look nice and strangely don't seem wider than the marathons? A lot lighter though, nearly 400gms per wheel. Just had a quick spin down the road and feel zippier and more comfortable.
  • Just fitted my new tyres, look nice and strangely don't seem wider than the marathons? A lot lighter though, nearly 400gms per wheel. Just had a quick spin down the road and feel zippier and more comfortable.

Keep listeninig to Ugo on all things wheels... 8)
    They are great tyres and if you have them on 20 mm rims, they should only be 30 mm deep and wide... if you have them on 23 mm rims, they get a bit wider and handle even better
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    jotko wrote:
    Oooh, this is nice.

Yeah, you just need a headset and a new front derailleur, as this feeds from the top and you need a couple of pieces of outer cable to route the gear cables... otherwise you can transfer everything no probs

I just ordered some Vittoria Randonneur PRO2s from Planet X for £15 each for my new Croix de Fer wheelset (Open pro cd /Novatec 711/712) which is being built up now. Am horribly tempted to order a Fugio frame and a cheap 105 groupset from Merlin and just make a complete new bike :lol:

Keep listeninig to Ugo on all things wheels... 8)
    They are great tyres and if you have them on 20 mm rims, they should only be 30 mm deep and wide... if you have them on 23 mm rims, they get a bit wider and handle even better

:wink: I'm listening!

The rims are 19mm I think (Ritchey OCR - Boardman CX) and they do come up around 30 so spot on. They are really nice tyres compared to the SMPs, definitely roll better. Took it easy on the way in (brand new tyres plus wet greasy roads) but seem to grip well. At £15 they're a steal, even the Head of Finance didn't bat an eyelid :)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    That's lovely Ugo. This is what the CdF always needed - a decent material.

Sorry to WW on your, but did you weigh the bare CdF and Fugio framesets? I've heard the CdF is as high as 1900-2000 grams. I reckon the Fugio would be what? 1750 or so?

If there are other forum members who are keen, we could organize a SW London randonee later in the autumn...would be good to get out
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • That's lovely Ugo. This is what the CdF always needed - a decent material.

Sorry to WW on your, but did you weigh the bare CdF and Fugio framesets? I've heard the CdF is as high as 1900-2000 grams. I reckon the Fugio would be what? 1750 or so?

If there are other forum members who are keen, we could organize a SW London randonee later in the autumn...would be good to get out

I confess I did not... the Fugio frame is 1.9 declared for a 56, mine is 54, the CdF should be 2.1-2.2... the Fugio forks are about 450 grams, while the CdF are 900g

Keen on the SW randonnee, if you have big tyres I can take you all to Marlow via an "unusual" route... no sewers involved, promise... :wink:
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Looks like a grand jack of all trades Ugo! Great colours and probably far better put together than my Tupperware bike! Hope you enjoy it. Thisse white hubs are distinctive btw…. Up to you whether you think that I think that’s a good thing.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    Looks like a grand jack of all trades Ugo! Great colours and probably far better put together than my Tupperware bike! Hope you enjoy it. Thisse white hubs are distinctive btw…. Up to you whether you think that I think that’s a good thing.

Yeah, they are actually not that bad those hubs... :wink:
  • Three weeks in, the bike has been "browned" in wet weather and muddy tracks a couple of times...
    First thought is relief I did not get the Condor Terra... I've just found out it doesn't even have the bottle holder mounts... bit extreme!
    Second thought: this bike rides well on the road, but it rides even better on the dirt... which admittedly is modifying my riding habits... that's a good thing, as I am a bit fed up of spending 45 minutes on the A 307 (which is already an improvement on the A 244) to get out of London... there are better ways to do it, just by leaving the tarmac
    Third thought: should I consider hydraulics? I am not overly keen on the conversion systems, but the full hydraulics will be 11 speed only, which means a new rear hub, which means... wait a minute... there are no 11 speed compatible disc hubs... I wanted at some point next year to get a pair of Shimano XTR hubs, but if they are not 11 speed compatible, is it an investment worth doing, looking ahead?
  • I'm looking hard at the Charge Plug 5 ATM, I like the Boardman CX but fancy a change and the Plug ticks all my boxes. It's running the fancy new SRAM HRD700 shifters with full hydraulic brakes and Rival but I think it's still 10 speed?
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I believe Hope will be doing 11 speed Shimano at some point in the near future.
  • I believe Hope will be doing 11 speed Shimano at some point in the near future.

I know they have an 11 speed compatible freehub, but for the PRO 3... might be the same though... thing is I really want the XTR... they are the same as Dura Ace and I really like them over cartridge hubs. My Novatec 711/712 are on pair with the Hope, so getting the Hope won't feel like much other than an acoustic upgrade.
  • I'm looking hard at the Charge Plug 5 ATM, I like the Boardman CX but fancy a change and the Plug ticks all my boxes. It's running the fancy new SRAM HRD700 shifters with full hydraulic brakes and Rival but I think it's still 10 speed?

Admittedly I am a bit biased towards SRAM... I've always seen their shifters as kind of disposable and the very many reports of broken ones have not helped to change my mind.
    If there is something I really really hate it's components that wear out and can't be repaired... which is the very reason this bike is fitted with the older generation Campagnolo Ergos which were solid and can be repaired
  • It also comes in brown and with proper CX tyres... :wink:

DSC_1865_zps7691e005.jpg
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Mudguards perhaps?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Mudguards perhaps?

You must be joking... thank God this frame won't take them even if I wanted
  • The Fugio frame has a top pull front mech, Shimano cx50 & cx70 are the only front mechs that will support road / cx chain sets. These front mechs are only compatible with Shimano 10 speed group sets.

You could run a roller clamped to the seat tube so a bottom pull front mech could be used, but it's not ideal, and there are also convertors from speen.de that convert bottom pull front mechs to top pull, but your mileage may vary.

I've spent a lot of time looking into this recently... I'm speccing one of these beauties up for next year.
  • Ugo, do you get any toe overlap problems?