Show us your Cross Bikes.

Comments

• stellaboy
    stellaboy Posts: 106
    Those would be perfect for if I had another crack at Roubaix challenge.(or even for local roads in Lincolnshire given the state of some of them!) I had 25c Vittoria Pave CX last year and they didn't help much, they look a better choice. Cheers for the info.
    Some days you're the statue, other days you are the pigeon.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    BeyOnce arrived yesterday in the shape of a Forme Calver Sport CX. This was on the way back from the LBS handling my C2W application. Will change the pedals to XT SPDs and tweak the saddle height and set back. Need to heli tape the head tube where the cables rub then bed the brakes in and will take it back to the shop for the rack to be fitted. For some strange reason the reflectors and bell fell off pretty quickly.

57787f339468372.jpg

2x10 105 with Avid BB5 which retails at £1100 but mine for £1k cause the Merida I originally ordered in my size had sold out and would have taken another 3 weeks to come through.

http://www.formebikes.co.uk/products/bi ... vercxsport
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jezzasnr
    jezzasnr Posts: 225
    [\quote]Like it... the Pasela are super comfy aren't they?[/quote]

Yeah, they're pretty good for what they cost. Would love to try something like the Challenge Strada Bianca, but that will have to wait for a bit.
    Have been for a ride around some trails on the Grifos and i'm impressed & surprised at the terrain that they manage without feeling like the wheels are going to collapse.
    the only other change has been to continue fiddling with the brakes. Straddle cables are a little flatter now, some Swissstop Flash Pro Green pads fitted and a fork mounted cable hanger on the front. Its a huge improvement, pretty happy with it now.
    ....like it's golden
  • mattjevans
    mattjevans Posts: 253
    ULyFEoW.jpg

Not the best photo, this is my new Trek Boone with a mixed Red/Force group. Road tyres on it for now.

CX1 chainring to go on as we get into autumn (now...?)
  • themyers
    themyers Posts: 69
    Steel is real and all that - just built it up

10518660_10152549006246321_3203436548057618752_n.jpg
    10525711_10152549006096321_1321917916470287182_n.jpg
    10334245_10152591892821321_3654165378137398903_n.jpg
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    First run out on Saturday checking out the High Peak trail to see if my kids could manage it (yep).
    Fine apart from left crank arm slipping with about 4 miles to go and pedals at 6 o'clock and 4 o'clock !
    Luckily it was easy enough to get back to the car.
    35mm tyres are a bit overkill and certainly need something around 27/28mm for it's planned commuting duties this autumn/winter.

IMAG0006.jpg

And on a test ride down Darley Park last week.

IMAG0004.jpg
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Galatzo wrote:
    35mm tyres are a bit overkill and certainly need something around 27/28mm for it's planned commuting duties this autumn/winter.

Why not go a touch bigger as you have the clearance? I just put these on my Pro 6 disc:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRANPII ... lding-tyre

They've gone up in price since I got mine last week, but would still recommend a pair as they're great. They come up more like 29-30mm on my CX disc wheels but are fast and comfy on crappy roads, and will handle a spot of gravel as well....

Nice build by the way 8)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:

Why not go a touch bigger as you have the clearance? I just put these on my Pro 6 disc:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRANPII ... lding-tyre

They've gone up in price since I got mine last week, but would still recommend a pair as they're great. They come up more like 29-30mm on my CX disc wheels but are fast and comfy on crappy roads, and will handle a spot of gravel as well....

Nice build by the way 8)

28c GP 4 Seasons on my F65X when in commuting guise.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    Boardman CX Team with SRAM Apex
    Kinesis CX Disc wheels
    Shwalbe CX pro tyres
    BB7 brakes
    Deda stem & post, Charge Spoon saddle, 105 front mech

Only done one race in a Summer series, definitely more to come!

PtWE59.jpg
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    I think cross bikes look so much better with knobbly tyres and a bit of mud on them. Mine is normally used for commuting duties and looks a bit dreary, it looks like so much more fun like this:
    IMG_0666.jpg
    I'd done the London to Brighton off road so had stuck the biggest tyres I could get onto it. Could have been a problem with mud clearance at 41mm, but thankfully it was fairly dry so not an issue.
  • Mr Veronese, what 41mm tyres did you run? Were they bontragers or vittoria touring tyres? thanks.

That Boone needs a bigger picture please. Why are there no stickers on it? Was it a custom paint job?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    There are red logos but they're very subtle. You're right though, more pics needed!

On One do a wide "Gravel" tyre now by the way FransJacques
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOGRT1/on ... lding-tyre
    If you only want it for the one off gravel sportive it's cheap enough
  • veronese68
    Mr Veronese, what 41mm tyres did you run? Were they bontragers or vittoria touring tyres? thanks.
    They were Surly Knard folding.
    TR0095.jpg
    Worked pretty well, I struggled in the more technical parts of the course and the fast downhill sections. But that was down to me more than anything I would say. I wanted a tyre with a bigger volume as I knew that a lot of the ride was on a hard but quite rough surface.
  • Have to agree with Veronese:

IMG_3478.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I thought I could see a clean bit for a moment but it was just the tail pipe on the car :-)
  • Have to agree with Veronese:

IMG_3478.jpg

That is good to see......a bike that's been ridden hard
  • veronese68
    Excellent, that's how it should be used and abused.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    I think with a ripped mech for the truly burly look.

2u9prnd.jpg
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714

Anyone who doesn't also take their kids racing has it easy...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Mine's in "proper" mode now. Thought no dirty, despite this week's rain.

20140923_162854_zps1c7md6tw.jpg
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Here is my CX bike (also winter hack bike).

Parts transfered over from my very old Trek CX bike, plus a few bits from the spares box.

GT CX 1 frame (large, which I think is a 56cm)
    Specialized carbon forks with zertz (temporary solution)
    Veloce shifter and rear mech
    38t narrow/wide chainrin on an old Deore crankset
    12-29t 10 spd cassette
    Khamsin wheels

Needs bar tape fitted (I'm thinking red...)

cx-bike.JPG
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • How do you find the single chain ring, definitely the way I plan to go! Should make for a nice light bike, especially with out disc brakes weighing down!

Currently riding a TriCross with 105 inc triple chain set, I am thinking of a new frame and move the kit over, but drop the mech and change the triple to a single setup.

Question: Using the current 105 shifters, and mech, what is the widest ranging cassette I can use? Would a longer 105 mech allow for bigger cassette range.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    How do you find the single chain ring, definitely the way I plan to go! Should make for a nice light bike, especially with out disc brakes weighing down!

Currently riding a TriCross with 105 inc triple chain set, I am thinking of a new frame and move the kit over, but drop the mech and change the triple to a single setup.

Question: Using the current 105 shifters, and mech, what is the widest ranging cassette I can use? Would a longer 105 mech allow for bigger cassette range.

I really like the single ring. I had a 50/34 compact with a 11-25 on the rear on the old bike before I transferred everything to this frame. It was OK for the road but not quite low enough for CX.

Current ratios give me gears lower and higher than just using the 34t inner. Yes, I loose some top end and I expect I'll spin out on the road, but in the winter I'm not that bothered!

By using a MTB Deore crank I can use 104BCD narrow/wide rings and there are more out there to buy and they are cheaper. I paid £25 for mine from Superstar.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    Gravel bike really, but the closest I have.

d12c1f4a041dc15a8360c3ad35603038.jpg
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    VamP wrote:
    I think with a ripped mech for the truly burly look.

2u9prnd.jpg
    Ouch that sucks, you were sensible to use your spare bike. Your 'good' bike is white non?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Ouch that sucks, you were sensible to use your spare bike. Your 'good' bike is white non?

This is from last season, when the blue bike was the good bike. At least the mech didn't go till about 300m from finish so the amount of running was minimal :)
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Freshly built, just its missing the rear calliper as it was faulty, (it is now fitted)

uc?export=view&id=0BzwQ41Bx6_lETVRkLUtsQTNYaU0
    Going to have a test spin this afternoon, to tweak position etc....
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Galatzo wrote:
    First run out on Saturday checking out the High Peak trail to see if my kids could manage it (yep).
    Fine apart from left crank arm slipping with about 4 miles to go and pedals at 6 o'clock and 4 o'clock !
    Luckily it was easy enough to get back to the car.

IMAG0006.jpg

And on a test ride down Darley Park last week.

IMAG0004.jpg

Up for sale in road bike classified section if anyone interested.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.