Show us your Cross Bikes.

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited May 2018 in Cyclocross
New Pic.

Not quite a CX more of an allrounder.

But does have discs and could easily take on a CX race even if the BB is a little low.

9915619765_93ebf8d932_c.jpg
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Current ride below, although building a Scott Addict CX at the moment too.

9734959013_eb81c53f8d_b.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Picking mine up tomorrow, it's a cheap version of the one above - a CAADX Sora. Will post a pic once I have it.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Here's mine, bought it like this apart from the bar tape (Which was a minging yellow colour) Enjoying riding it about, nice to be able to do an off road ride and not be painfully slow on the road sections!
    1090968_10153192464775384_1478918148_o.jpg
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Here's mine, bought it like this apart from the bar tape (Which was a minging yellow colour) Enjoying riding it about, nice to be able to do an off road ride and not be painfully slow on the road sections!

Good choice there! I also have a (resprayed) steel Fort with Sintema fork - lovely frames but appear to be like hens' teeth these days although they were apparently a big hit in the States. There seem to be more of the 7005 aluminium alloy ones around, mind. Seen here in action at last Sunday's Wessex League opener at Newbury:

DaveBelchercroplo.jpg

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:

Good choice there! I also have a (resprayed) steel Fort with Sintema fork - lovely frames but appear to be like hens' teeth these days although they were apparently a big hit in the States. There seem to be more of the 7005 aluminium alloy ones around, mind. Seen here in action at last Sunday's Wessex League opener at Newbury:

DaveBelchercroplo.jpg

David

Hi David, it looks like they've been bought out by a US company so have moved there from the Czech republic http://www.fultoncycleworks.com/fort-bicycles/
    The frame rides really nicely, I'm really pleased with it. The only problem I have with it is the interface between the vertical cable for the front brake and the rear gear cable. The boss for the rear gear cable is on the headtube and when you turn left it pushes on the brake cable and slightly applies the front brake.

I would think it was made for v brakes but there is a hanger on the back for cantilevers, not sure what to do really, it isn't really much of a problem until you get to a cross course with a load of switchbacks and it's very tight, does your one have the same issue David?
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Hi David, it looks like they've been bought out by a US company so have moved there from the Czech republic http://www.fultoncycleworks.com/fort-bicycles/
    The frame rides really nicely, I'm really pleased with it. The only problem I have with it is the interface between the vertical cable for the front brake and the rear gear cable. The boss for the rear gear cable is on the headtube and when you turn left it pushes on the brake cable and slightly applies the front brake.

I would think it was made for v brakes but there is a hanger on the back for cantilevers, not sure what to do really, it isn't really much of a problem until you get to a cross course with a load of switchbacks and it's very tight, does your one have the same issue David?

I've had one or two issues in the headtube area myself, also the front mech cable routing has caused issues with either the brake outer fraying through steering-related movement or else the barrel adjuster has sheared off in the boss. :( Otherwise no complaints - this seems to be the only real flaw in the overall design. Generous chain/seat stay clearance and the lack of a chainstay bridge has proved to be a real boon in heavy mud and my bike has kept going where newer, flashier ones have clogged up and given up. I'm also still using an 8-speed transmission which helps the lifetime and durability of the gearing - the chunkier 8sp chains seem to cope a bit better with the rigours of regular CX racing.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Paul 8v
    Yeah, I don't really like the idea of a 9/10/11 speed transmission on a cross bike. Not only is the chain a lot thinner, the space between sprockets at the back is also smaller and looks like it would clog up more. 11spd is just a marketing thing in my eyes anyway!
  • Pross
    Here's mine, hot of the press

2013-09-14202258_zpsd7a95268.jpg

Haven't removed the wheel reflectors yet as I'll be commuting on it this week before my first race in 18 years next Sunday. I coach the club kids in cross skills so it's going to be a bit embarrassing when they see how bad mine are!
  • max888
    max888 Posts: 206
    I'm eagerly awaiting my 2014 Felt F3X! Can't wait to start racing this season.
  • simonj
    Max888 wrote:
    I'm eagerly awaiting my 2014 Felt F3X! Can't wait to start racing this season.
    Nice, be interested to hear how the hybrid brakes are.
  • Self build. Frame outsourced, but essentially a Dirty Disco. Built wheels, bought brakes and shifters - the rest was gathering dust in the shed from upgrading/replacing etc. 28mm slicks for winter road, knobblies for CX.
  • Paul 8v
    Nice, I was thinking if ever built up a new set of wheels it would be on those rims. Nice that you can still keepbthe black anodsing with discs.
  • I have the grey anodised ones on my road bike - the roads around here are quite poor so anything lighter would take a bashing. Black 32h for the CX, Grey 28h for the road on hope hubs. Reasonable weight. Strong.
  • Paul 8v
    I know what you mean Dozzina, you have to learn to bunny hop round here, it's less of avoiding potholes but hitting the one that will hurt the least... Where abouts was the frame from?
  • I killed a pair of carbons last month after being led into a pothole - both rims flared out beyond repair :cry:

The frame was direct from China, half the price of a well known retailer.
  • 37509358@N07

This is (was) a 2012 focus Mares AX4.

After serving me as winter trainer and a bike to explore the old railway lines near me it became my main road bike this summer.

The mudguards were removed and the alu forks swapped for some nice carbon kinesis ones.
    The bike now wears a nice set of kinesis CX disc wheels as well.

With 25c road tyres on I have time trialled, done club runs, trained and done the odd sportive.

Tyres have now been swapped to Kenda kwickers with a CX50 chainset replacing the old FSA gossamer.

The bike is now almost ready for my cross season that starts this weekend!

Charge Spoon is my favourite saddle and yes I do know it doesn't match the bar tape
  • 533635_10151111540510108_45873400_n.jpg

Stem has changed since this pic

Race mode
    421947_10152959148330084_1664594491_n.jpg
  • My Giant TCX

001_zpsacf47885.jpg
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    IMG_3348_zps7172b270.jpg

Cannondale CX9 Optimo with Easton EC90 fork
    Apex Groupset
    TSP CX8.4 Mini-v Brakes
    Wheelset is Kinlin ADHC rims on 105 hubs
    Challenge Griffo XS tyres
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    BushyKinesis.jpg
    Kinesis Pro6 in silly green.
    Shimano 105
    Avid BB7 brakes
    Mavic Open Pros on Novatec hubs
    Gatorskins at the moment, trying to decide on some more versatile rubber.
    Now had to fit guards as it is my daily runner :(
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    BushyKinesis.jpg
    Kinesis Pro6 in silly green.
    Shimano 105
    Avid BB7 brakes
    Mavic Open Pros on Novatec hubs
    Gatorskins at the moment, trying to decide on some more versatile rubber.
    Now had to fit guards as it is my daily runner :(

Nice wheels... :wink:
    May I recommend Vittoria Randonneur PRO 32 as your next tyre? On offer at Planet X... absolutely awesome... they ride like a smaller tyre, they grip well, NEVER puncture and they last many thousands of miles
    left the forum March 2023
  • max888
    max888 Posts: 206
    Asprilla, sweet bike. My CAAD9 is in the same paint scheme. :D
  • Normal Cross bike -Merida Cross 4

407596312.jpg

3 Peaks bike- custom build dirty disco. SRAM red/XO

407596263.jpg

On a training ride up Helvellyn

407596325.jpg

In action on a local ride

407596321.jpg
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    May I recommend Vittoria Randonneur PRO 32 as your next tyre? On offer at Planet X... absolutely awesome... they ride like a smaller tyre, they grip well, NEVER puncture and they last many thousands of miles
    Lovely wheels, the rest of the bike's pretty good too. Thanks for that, good price too. What are they like for grip on hardpack like the trail in Richmond Park?
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Lovely wheels, the rest of the bike's pretty good too. Thanks for that, good price too. What are they like for grip on hardpack like the trail in Richmond Park?

They are good off road, as long as it's not muddy. I commute along the Grand Union Canal from Brentford to Uxbridge and most of it is not paved. There is also a more rugged version of these, but make sure it is a PRO, as the budget one is much lower in TPI and it gives a cack ride
    left the forum March 2023
  • simonj
    Here's one I built earlier :)

9859676476_1c646f9c47_b.jpg

A CX at heart, but plan to use it as mainly as a road bike, but with the versatility of a CX. I have 28mm 4 Seasons as use it on mix of canal paths, packed track and roads, have put TRP V's on it for better braking but still light, not convinced on discs yet. Have a spare set of tougher wheels with CX tyres on for when I want to go a bit more off road. Rode it for first time today, feels a bit more agile and stiff than the SuperX did. Dare I say it more like a road bike than the SuperX.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    IMAG1101_zps63dc80e1.jpg

Focus Mares
    Standard except for GUB saddle and skewers, and Hope Pro3 hubs built with Stans Alpha 340 rims.

Weight has gone from 21.5 lbs to now 18.8lbs.
  • Snap, mine has heavy Land Cruisers on ready for this weekends Three Peaks. Nearer 24lbs!! How the hell is yours under 19??
    BU1fzcjCUAA6ZgL.jpg
  • Pross
    Maybe it's that excess cabling to the rear mech :wink: