TDF 2013 Stage 16 **Spoilers** Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Hay - Australia. The flattest most boring stretch of road in the world.
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    If you are going to demand no doping talk (and use inappropriate language) then surely posting a pic of Armstrong would be against the rules..eh?

Touche. Think of it as a reminder to stay on track and not go off road. 8-)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Cofidis.

Are we talking Standard Chartered, Royal Bank of Scotland, Wonga or Lucky Ron's Rings?

If they're a Swiss bank (origins in Switzerland) what benefit do they get from sponsoring a not very good cycling team.

On the same subject anyone seen Roger Federer in the new Gillette adds. Oh I bet they wish they'ed not paid him mega-bucks :oops: :oops: .

Oh look there's the bloke who went out in (1st round, was it) at Wimbledon having a shave. :oops: :oops:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    emadden wrote:
    Zug (Switzerland)
    Egg (Switzerland... there are actually a few Eggs in Switzerland) :-)
    Bex (Switzerland)
    Aix (France)
    Oëx (France)
    Ain (France - not a town though, just a Department)

Bonus points for two letters?-
    Eu (France)
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Please can we keep spoiler threads separate... I was dubious about the rest day one anyway but to then just morph into the Stage 16 spoiler is confusing and adds pages of guff... and as pointed out earlier (on titling) keeping separate threads makes it easier to search later...
  • alan_a
    Ae - Smewhere on the road to Aberdeen.

Ur - ancient Mesopotamia.
  • RideOnTime
    dish_dash wrote:
    Please can we keep spoiler threads separate... I was dubious about the rest day one anyway but to then just morph into the Stage 16 spoiler is confusing and adds pages of guff... and as pointed out earlier (on titling) keeping separate threads makes it easier to search later...

Yeah you're right. :shock: :D:D

Anyway as I was saying...

Cofidis.

Are we talking Standard Chartered, Royal Bank of Scotland, Wonga or Lucky Ron's Rings?

If they're a Swiss bank (origins in Switzerland) what benefit do they get from sponsoring a not very good cycling team.

On the same subject anyone seen Roger Federer in the new Gillette adds. Oh I bet they wish they'ed not paid him mega-bucks .

Oh look there's the bloke who went out in (1st round, was it) at Wimbledon having a shave.
  • RideOnTime
    dish_dash wrote:

If you catch the 'proper' Stage 16 thread you can name some towns with only three letters... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Hearing that Thibaut Pinot has abandoned. Very sad if true.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

If you catch the 'proper' Stage 16 thread you can name some towns with only three letters... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Anyway 'dishdash' lets have a proper pro-cycling discussion. You can start anytime...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    I was very dull in PTP going for Sagan, but I think the last 2nd cat, followed by a steep descent is ideal for someone. Maybe even Gilbert.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Sagan too, but I think it could be anyone's day today...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • alan_a
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Hearing that Thibaut Pinot has abandoned. Very sad if true.

Not really a surprise. His heart, legs and head haven't been in the race at all.

So, I have 90minutes left to pick my fantasy team. Hardest stage for it. Who will be in the breakaway?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Call yourselves cyclists.
    The first name I thought of
    HUY
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • TheBigBean
    In fact, now I think about it, Contador will almost certainly attack. Ideal for him.
  • RideOnTime
    Do you think we're going to see more from Quintana in this final week? The guy has got some serious climbing ability and there are some big climbs left. Does he just think well I've got 10 years to tackle this. What happened to Rowlands has he lost momentum?
  • TheBigBean
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Do you think we're going to see more from Quintana in this final week?

Yes, but we'll see more of Froome.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Probably another quiet day for Lampre-Merida who've been really anonymous this tour... looks like a day for the breakaway... Chav?
  • TheBigBean
    I'm almost missing that post review thing...
  • Why is he riding that bike into Beloki's balls?

Jealousy
  • RideOnTime
    Vaison-la-Romaine START

The area was first inhabited in the Bronze Age.

The town’s Roman connections are still evident. Its bridge is one of five remaining Roman bridges in Provence, having survived both being hit by a German bomb during the Second World War and the devastating flooding of the Ouvèze in 1992, which killed 42 people.

In the Roman period it became one of the richest cities of Gallia Narbonensis, with numerous geometric mosaic pavements and a fine small theatre on a rocky hillslope, probably built during the reign of Tiberius, whose statue was found in a prominent place on its site.

The barbarian invasions were presaged by a pillaging and burning in 276, from which Roman Vasio recovered, but in the fifth century the benches of the theatre began to be reused as Christian tombstones.

At disturbed times of the Middle Ages, the inhabitants emigrated to the higher ground on the left bank of Ouvèze, with the shelter of the ramparts and a strong castle. From the eighteenth century most of the population had moved back down to the plains by the river.

Population 6,200.

Gap FINISH

Originally founded by the Gauls, the Roman emperor Augustus seized the town in 14 BC and renamed it Vapincum. Gap was annexed by the French crown in 1512. In the 1558 the Lombards sacked the town. In 1650 plague removed two-thirds of the population, and in 1692 Savoy troops burned down almost all the houses. In March 1815 Napoleon arrived on his way back from Elba and passed through Gap on his march to Paris.

It is one of the sunniest places in France and is sandwiched between some wonderfully contrasting countryside. Many interesting places are to be found just outside the town in these surrounding regions. The Domaine de Charance is a country park with meadows, forest paths and a lake that overlooks Gap – it houses the National Botanical Conservatory, which has an impressive collection of rare plants (1500 varieties of rose, 550 varieties of apple tree & 800 varieties of pear tree!) it is well worth visiting.

Walks in the mountains are also popular, with Les balcons du Gapençais (Balconies of Gap) being a favourite. It is a 45km circuit around Gap - designed for hikers and mountain bikers.

There are two markets a week, which are a great way to mix with the locals and the Musée Départemental on Avenue Maréchal Foch has some interesting archaeological collections from the bronze and iron ages on display.

Population 39.000
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Pross wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    So, today's quiz: how many towns or cities can you think of with just three letters, other than Gap? No cheating or Googling now...

Cwm

How do you pronounce that and where is it ?

There's several of them in Wales. The one I think of is just south of Ebbw Vale. It's pronounced much as spelt, can't think how to do it phonetically but the best I can do is Coom in a northern accent rather than posh southern! It's Welsh for valley.

I thought a cwm was a like a corrie, the glacially-formed rock bowl/lake thing, not the sh1te on telly.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Why is he riding that bike into Beloki's balls?

Jealousy

Chapeau.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • TheBigBean
    I'm utterly confused. There are two spoiler threads. Which one is supposed to be about cycling and stage 16?
  • RideOnTime
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I'm utterly confused. There are two spoiler threads. Which one is supposed to be about cycling and stage 16?

Come on Big Bean. You're not a little bean now. Mind you in this heat you might be a Baked Bean.

Lets make this about Stage 16 and cycling. No more mucking about...

Eyes down.

Pundit ready.

Go.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Towns with just three letters? Can I have Aix minus the -en-Provence because no one uses the -en-Provence...
    So what is the difference with AIX-Les-Baines in the Alps. ??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    David Millar ‏@millarmind 14m
    I predict a riot the first hour of today's stage. Might treat myself to a caffeine gel on the start line
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Am I in the right place? I assume this is the proper spoiler thread for today (based on all the requisite info being provided by the OP) as the other one is just an extended rest day thread??
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    deejay wrote:
    Towns with just three letters? Can I have Aix minus the -en-Provence because no one uses the -en-Provence...
    So what is the difference with AIX-Les-Baines in the Alps. ??

Or Aix les Thermes in the Pyrenees.

Aix means waters. Bains means bathroom. So think I think most of them are spa towns.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    smithy21 wrote:
    Am I in the right place? I assume this is the proper spoiler thread for today (based on all the requisite info being provided by the OP) as the other one is just an extended rest day thread??

You're snug in the peloton. That other mob is the remnants of a day-long breakaway who'll be out the back the moment it goes uphill. Desperate late suicide publicity attack, notwithstanding.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    The other thread sits somewhere between reader's digest and woman's own ... It's an f'ing joke that the same 10 people just post whatever they like to the detriment of others ...

Hopefully this one will keep to the race ...