TDF 2013 Stage 16 **Spoilers** Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    hangeron wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    hangeron wrote:
    Can't find the geology post from yesterday...what is Ventoux made of..is it just limestone?

It's the same rocks as the post I made on the Montpellier stage basically. A lot of limestone.

thanks...but booo for limestone

any rock that dissolves in the rain is rubbish.

OI! Limestone pavement is fantastic. Great little ecosystem.

pavement.jpg

It makes some spectacular rock-climbing and caving as well, for those that are into that sort of thing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    ddraver wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    hangeron wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    hangeron wrote:
    Can't find the geology post from yesterday...what is Ventoux made of..is it just limestone?

It's the same rocks as the post I made on the Montpellier stage basically. A lot of limestone.

Surely any rock that dissolves in rain is mud?

Nearly

Any rock (or mineral in a rock) that dissolves in the rain becomes mud

No no no, you have deliberately misinterpreted the point I was trying to make. :wink:

It is clear that rock is rock and mud is mud. How strong does rock have to be before it can be called rock?

I live on the south coast and the Seven Sisters chalk cliffs stand 200m vertically, so 'rock', but you can rub them with your finger and it turns to dust, so 'soil'???
    Half man, Half bike
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Denser water (ice) walks on water (floats). It's time to have those molecules in for some Truth & Reconciliation.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Ridgerider wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    hangeron wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    hangeron wrote:

Surely any rock that dissolves in rain is mud?

Nearly

Any rock (or mineral in a rock) that dissolves in the rain becomes mud

No no no, you have deliberately misinterpreted the point I was trying to make. :wink:

It is clear that rock is rock and mud is mud. How strong does rock have to be before it can be called rock?

I live on the south coast and the Seven Sisters chalk cliffs stand 200m vertically, so 'rock', but you can rub them with your finger and it turns to dust, so 'soil'???

Erm....hmmm.....

I would say that it has to have undergone some diagenesis (Post depositional alteration) to be a rock...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Macaloon wrote:
    I have high hopes for Rundfahrt, unless he's out of gas after yesterday's attacks.

I'm solid and ready to go, I have been hitting the marginal gains pretty hard to be ready for the final week of personal attacks and insults from the closed eye set!
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    goonz wrote:
    Slow day today aint it....

I've tidied my filing cabinet...

'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Oooo got a little dicey there. Didn't have any internet for a few hours due to landlord not paying the bill. Too much excitement for a rest day I can tell you. But a quick phone call and a few goes with the magic spanner and I'm back on the road. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Oooo got a little dicey there. Didn't have any internet for a few hours due to landlord not paying the bill. Too much excitement for a rest day I can tell you. But a quick phone call and a few goes with the magic spanner and I'm back on the road. :D

Did you give the engineer a sticky cup of tea?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Macaloon wrote:
    Denser water (ice) walks on water (floats). It's time to have those molecules in for some Truth & Reconciliation.
    Err, ice isn't denser. The opposite.

I know propose to chuck you in the deep end of the pool to check your intelligence :wink:
  • above_the_cows
    MrTapir wrote:

Did you give the engineer a sticky cup of tea?

I don't know what I did really. I picked up the phone and talked to a nice lady, telling her I wasn't the account holder but could I pay the bill anyway and get my internet back and she said sure and now I have my internet back. The excitement came from imagining the cunning ways I was going to pull off pretending to be a Dutch Man down the phone seeing as I am not a native speaker, do not have Dutch accent and am not a man. The problem was amplified by my husband being away so even he couldn't try and pretend to be Dutch either.

My scenarios for dealing with the situation ranged from, hide in a corner crying and eating crisps, telling them it was the Tour de France and I really needed internet hoping they would understand or asking Laurens Ten Dam on Twitter if he would pretend to be my landlord.
  • ddraver
    Can we do the last one just for fun anyway?
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:
    Can we do the last one just for fun anyway?

I did think about it. Shall we?
  • ddraver
    Yeah, given that there's a 0.001% chance he ll actually respond I reckon it's worth a tweet! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:

I know propose to chuck you in the deep end of the pool to check your intelligence :wink:

Mysterious stuff water. I don't pretend to understand all of its properties (the density one tickles me), but I do know the difference between now and know, and when to use them :shock:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Did anyone else think that itv4 outside desk looked very monty python? 'And now for something completely different'
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Macaloon wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Mysterious stuff water. I don't pretend to understand all of its properties (the density one tickles me), but I do know the difference between now and know, and when to use them :shock:

It's all the rage today.

Water is a bit weird though, I'll give you that. Hydrogen bonds and stuff like that. Capillary action. Expanding when it freezes. Surface tension.

Personally, I reckon it's on drugs.

Possibly homoeopathic ones.

Know how homoeopaths treat dehydration? They give you an empty glass.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Lordy be! Pro Race forum is turning into the Bad Science blog. Isn't there a bike race on at this time of year, even if ti is a rest day? New shiny things we should be oggling? What about the Tao of David Millar (formerly of this parish, the one I live in, not the metaphorical interweb forum parish)? Or the number of pink shirts that nice Mr Boardman wears on the telly box? Crikey bob, we could even discuss the bust at the Turkish chipper race...

(Not going anywhere near the Sky are naughty/quite nice really thread as I'm guessing it's handbags at dawn, "my dad's bigger than your dad", "my dad's got a big gun", "well my dad's got a graph which proves everything", "my dad's got a biggerer graph than your dad and it disproves everything ever written blah blah blah")

On a sad note I notice that Le Tour De France official boutique is located in Hyde, Greater Manchester. The mass murder capital of Blighty.
  • ddraver

Know how homoeopaths treat dehydration? They give you an empty glass.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Echelons on the highlights. But more importantly:

"Since 1999 Emoto has published several volumes of a work titled Messages from Water, which contains photographs of water crystals, and their accompanying experiments. Emoto's ideas appeared in the documentary "What the Bleep Do We Know!?"."

The clear inference from this, if true, is that riders pure-of-heart, will be full of more 'happy' h2o than those harbouring dark secrets. Think about that. 'What the bleep' is an interesting watch, btw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaru_Emoto
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Macaloon wrote:
    Echelons on the highlights. But more importantly:

"Since 1999 Emoto has published several volumes of a work titled Messages from Water, which contains photographs of water crystals, and their accompanying experiments. Emoto's ideas appeared in the documentary "What the Bleep Do We Know!?"."

The clear inference from this, if true, is that riders pure-of-heart, will be full of more 'happy' h2o than those harbouring dark secrets. Think about that. 'What the bleep' is an interesting watch, btw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaru_Emoto

Don't make me get all reductionist on yo ass.

Was the Emoto film sponsored by Skins?
  • Macaloon
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Macaloon wrote:
    Lmao :lol: . He's so serious in the end it looks like he's high or something.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    I have high hopes for Rundfahrt, unless he's out of gas after yesterday's attacks.

I'm solid and ready to go, I have been hitting the marginal gains pretty hard to be ready for the final week of personal attacks and insults from the closed eye set!
    I thought you did a dodgy blood bag yesterday :mrgreen:
  • ddraver
    Lightning wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Lmao :lol: . He's so serious in the end it looks like he's high or something.

:lol::lol::lol:

Wow!!!
    - @ddraver
  • Froboz
    Froboz Posts: 32
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I don't know whether this is acceptable but with a few bangs and whistles this 'rest day' thread could simply turn into the Stage 16 spoiler.

Vous y etes.

Stage 16 Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Oh yeah I've got to edit the 1st post.

Bear with...

seamless...
  • ddraver
    I'm very surprised your near terminal OCD allowed such mischevious behaviour RoT! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Oh yeah I've got to edit the 1st post.

Bear with...

seamless...

OI! Rich set the standard for Spoiler thread first posts with the Ventoux stage. It was a Froometastic first post. This edit, it's gone all Cofidis.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Stuff

Love the boar!