TDF 2013 Stage 16 **Spoilers** Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    In all the discussion, have we discussed the failure of Kreuziger to drop back for Contador? Now I know he is also high in GC and so maybe was told not to drop back or just didn't want to drop back, but Contador is the team leader. If there was doubt about Contador not getting back then should we not be discussing Kreuziger's failure to drop back and help? Instead Contador relied on Richie Porte to get him back on. Just an observation, I can't remember if it was discussed already.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    ATC: Good point but maybe TS just hedging their bets ? I'm not convinced there's more to it than that
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Who the F is Froome to talk to Contador like that? Stick thin, ugly, posh boy who suddenly comes to ET prominence under a money`s team safe as houses compared to the best stage racer of a generation from a poor background who had to fight tooth and nail for his success with panache and mental fortitude. And all that after Contador defends him.
    Ah I knew we could rely on you for another hilarious reaction :lol: I think Contador could actually give you some lessons in how to be a bit more "classy".
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    dsoutar wrote:
    ATC: Good point but maybe TS just hedging their bets ? I'm not convinced there's more to it than that

I would agree, I'd have told Kreuziger to stay put.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    dsoutar wrote:

I would agree, I'd have told Kreuziger to stay put.

Think so too, Plus i think the ride back was not the massive effort it appeared, still downhill a bit and not worth the danger of d1ckng around on....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Yes, any nice recipes from this part of France?

We're just going to do Tartiflette for a few days aren't we?

Now that looks tasty with yer bacon lardons. Funny bacon - made me think of Nigella - and Nigella made me think of a bike - and bike back to Le Tour.

Oh yer and the 'hairy bikers' slimmed down and riding for Confidis :D:D

Could yer hairy bikers do a 32km TT in say erm 2 hours?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Daz555 wrote:
    Who the F is Froome to talk to Contador like that?
    Well he's currently Contador's superior in every aspect of the sport and hasn't YET dragged the sport which pays his living through the dirt through rampant cheating.

He could punch Contador and still hold the high ground. :mrgreen:

Corrected that for you
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    CORVOS_00021667-094.jpg

'Hey Sagan, show me how to do it again!' :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • ddraver
    Hah! Very good! Caption of the Tour so far!
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    "I went the wrong way round a roundabout," Fuglsang told TV2. "I followed Cadel Evans and it turned out to be the long way around and I dropped back 100 places in the field. Then I try rectifying that in the beginning of the climb and moved forward to the front again. So I was under a little pressure already and then Katusha started to attack. I was lacking what I needed to go with them."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Anyone remember this from Stage 3 of this year's Giro?
    These Blancos should not hit the front if they cant corner.

Hurting a top guy`s GC chances.

(Sorry Frenchie, couldn't resist!)
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Pross wrote:
    Anyone remember this from Stage 3 of this year's Giro?
    These Blancos should not hit the front if they cant corner.

Hurting a top guy`s GC chances.

(Sorry Frenchie, couldn't resist!)
    Chap-f*cking-eau :lol:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Went away for a few hours and the preverbial hit the fan. 5 pages on and still carping on about yesterdays stage.

On this thread, Contador is only one of 5 men to have won all three major tours - you cannot take it away from him.
    As it has been said, without Contador, this would be one helluva boring tour

What a TT it was. Froomes smooth style paralelled with Contadors frog on a matchbox method suggested that Froome was going much slower, what a result. Froome must have gone like the clappers after the decent to make up for any delay. He showed class today, I don't think the tweeting comments are particularly proffessional, but I guess he is feeling the pressure. Maybe he needs an agony aunt - anyone want to volunteer?

Eyewatering stage tomorrow - yippee.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Why do people keep saying that without Contador this would have been a boring Tour? He lit up what most would have expected to be a dull transition stage by forcing splits in the crosswinds but other than a few half hearted attacks yesterday he has just followed Froome or other GC contenders. Despite not being a Bertie fan I had expected more. The one person who has really tried to take Froome on is Quintana, can't wait to see him start a Tour as team leader with full support and think he'll be Froome's main rival over the next few years. Hopefully Kwiatowski can add to the equation.
  • ddraver
    yeah agree - Quintana deserves to be on the podium (not quite in first but you, know First and a half! ;) )
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    Pross wrote:
    Why do people keep saying that without Contador this would have been a boring Tour? He lit up what most would have expected to be a dull transition stage by forcing splits in the crosswinds but other than a few half hearted attacks yesterday he has just followed Froome or other GC contenders. Despite not being a Bertie fan I had expected more. The one person who has really tried to take Froome on is Quintana, can't wait to see him start a Tour as team leader with full support and think he'll be Froome's main rival over the next few years. Hopefully Kwiatowski can add to the equation.

Ah but, Quintana looks like an old skool pure climber a la Pantani , Lucho Herrera, Virenque - do you really think he could challenge for the GC? He needs to up his TTing. Today was hilly and it suited him but on the flat...
  • ddraver
    Pross wrote:

Ah but, Quintana looks like an old skool pure climber a la Pantani , Lucho Herrera, Virenque - do you really think he could challenge for the GC? He needs to up his TTing. Today was hilly and it suited him but on the flat...

He's significantly better than Andy Schleck, who has come pretty close...
    - @ddraver
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:

You mean 2010 Tour de France winner Andy Schleck?
  • ddraver
    Well yes but.....
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

He's more than just a pure climber. We could have some classic races in years to come though with Kwiatowski being an all rounder and Quintana being better in the mountains. Hopefully we'll get some real battles with the lead changing hands like in the good old days
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

He's more than just a pure climber. We could have some classic races in years to come though with Kwiatowski being an all rounder and Quintana being better in the mountains. Hopefully we'll get some real battles with the lead changing hands like in the good old days

If we're talking youngsters, I'll be interested to see how Romain Bardet develops once he finally gives up his studies and concentrates on cycling full time...
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    DeadCalm wrote:
    If we're talking youngsters, I'll be interested to see how Romain Bardet develops once he finally gives up his studies and concentrates on cycling full time...
    He could take some advice from Joe Dombrowski:

“To me, it was like, I can always go back to school. But this is my dream, to do this full-time. I need to just go all-out and try to do it.”

Source.

Dombrowski will be interesting to watch too. I actually wondered if he’d be at this Tour.
    I'm not sure Romain Bardet has too much to learn from Joe Dombrowski at the moment.

Bardet is 20th on GC in the TDF and would probably be comfortably in the top 15 had he not been caught in the wrong echelon on stage 13 and sent on a suicidal attack on stage 9. And his primary responsibility so far has been to work for JC Peraud. I like Dombrowski and he definitely has promise as a climber but he hasn't shown a hint that he can cut it with the big boys over the course of a three week tour in the way that Bardet has.
  • frenchfighter
    451e1cf4ef1c11e294f522000a9f30b8_7.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alihisgreat
    That's a great picture :lol:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Looking at him now it is difficult to imagine he ever won anything.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • alihisgreat
    Daz555 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Looking at him now it is difficult to imagine he ever won anything.

Its odd - he's showing flickers of form, then dropping off and losing 30 mins on a MTF.

eg. 15th yesterday wasn't a bad performance for him.. but on Ventoux he came in 10 mins down.. almost as bad a Voeckler @12 mins down!
  • frenchfighter
    So apparently Valverde had a word with Contador in Quintana`s defence.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pinno
    Spare a thought for Peraud and his collar bone. Such bad luck to break it on a recce and then ouch - bash it again just o make sure. Chapeau for riding in the TT.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd ask my question on this one. I know in tv coverage
    on races the commentators go to great lengths to say that either fans, or a 'clean-up' service by
    the race organiserspick up bottles (and wrappers) ditched by the riders. I'm not convinced by this.
    However, apart from races, the teams will be continually training. When they go out on training rides,
    do the riders still ditch their bidons by the roadside?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Well that's a really weird change of tack.

Read the comments above first and I was impressed with how the named riders have panned out, thought the resurrection was about that.