TDF 2013 Stage 16 **Spoilers** Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    ddraver wrote:
    Ok well just to blow my theory out of the water....

Chris Froome ‏@chrisfroome
    Almost went over your head @albertocontador.. Little more care next time?

3 Mins ago so at ~11pm
    Haha, liking Froome more and more here :) Wasn't it just a couple of days ago we had everyone complaining how boring he seemed to be?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    It's like being in one of those rough pubs I've heard about. Calm down, Froomey, he's not worth it.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Pross wrote:
    Is anyone really surprised Froome got a bit upset? The only likely way he is going to lose this Tour is a serious mechanical or a crash. Contador overdid things trying to eek out an advantage on the descent which nearly resulted in the latter and even if there was no major injury he could have ended up with a wrecked bike and requiring a change. Now I'm not suggesting Bertie shouldn't have tried putting Froome under pressure, it was a perfectly legitimate tactic, but having narrowly escaped the crash that is his biggest enemy I suspect the adrenaline was pumping. On the other hand Bertie was a victim to his own error and got arsey with Quintana for not easing up, I'm struggling to see how an issue of his own making was any different to Schleck messing up a gear change.

^ This. Contador getting the arse with Quintana is hilarious. True champion racing - crash, delay the MJ, then refuse to do a turn when chasing back to the rest of the GC group!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Lightning wrote:
    I know everyone likes to hate on Contador over here, but do you haters really think he's a bad, non-exciting rider? Just take a moment to imagine this Tour without him there. No attacks on mountain stages, no echelon attacks during flat stages, etc.. Just Froome riding steady up mountains after Porte has done his thing and everyone else settling for second.

Weird, pretty sure the attacking in the mountain stages has been initiated by Quintana mainly. Quintana started the attacking by the 'group of big favourites' on stages 8 and 15 whilst Movistar / Garmin initiated the carnage on stage 9. Saxo did well on stage 13 but it was a team attack rather than Contador (plus OPQS and Belkin caused the initial split). Contador has had a few goes and always does but he hasn't made any ground at all from his own attacks (as opposed to the team effort on stage 13), he's not the rider he was. That's not being a hater, just pointing out facts. Your post also ignores Froome's attacks on stages 8 and 15, he could have just followed is rivals and been safe, especially on stage 15 but chose to go hard from a decent distance and take time from his rivals.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    adr82 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

3 Mins ago so at ~11pm
    Haha, liking Froome more and more here :) Wasn't it just a couple of days ago we had everyone complaining how boring he seemed to be?

Someone's nabbed his phone whilst he was in the loo... my money is on little Pete.

Surely can't be Froome writing that?!
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Moray Gub wrote:
    I must have missed Froomes two massive attacks in the mountains then. Yet folk seem to cream themselves with excitement when Bertie puts into a couple of speculative digs. Which had he been riding drugged up as in previous years he would have ridden away from all.
    My point is Froome wouldn't have bothered with 180 cadence attacks if Contador wasn't riding either. Porte seems to be able to drop everyone else (including the Belkin boys and Kreuziger) by himself. Quintana is also riding well but he needs to work on his TT and tactics to stand a chance in my opinion.
  • Lightning
    Pross wrote:
    Weird, pretty sure the attacking in the mountain stages has been initiated by Quintana mainly. Quintana started the attacking by the 'group of big favourites' on stages 8 and 15 whilst Movistar / Garmin initiated the carnage on stage 9. Saxo did well on stage 13 but it was a team attack rather than Contador (plus OPQS and Belkin caused the initial split). Contador has had a few goes and always does but he hasn't made any ground at all from his own attacks (as opposed to the team effort on stage 13), he's not the rider he was. That's not being a hater, just pointing out facts. Your post also ignores Froome's attacks on stages 8 and 15, he could have just followed is rivals and been safe, especially on stage 15 but chose to go hard from a decent distance and take time from his rivals.
    Yes, I agree Quintana is a very exciting rider and looking strong. I'm still wondering if he would have been able to keep up with Froome if he didn't attack so early and waste energy during his attacks. He's still young though so I'm sure we'll see them fighting it out in the future.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    ddraver wrote:

3 Mins ago so at ~11pm

A bit of sick went up reading that.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    ThomThom wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

3 Mins ago so at ~11pm

A bit of sick went up reading that.

Mmmmm not great really is it. Yes I can understand both of them getting annoyed at something, even being OTT annoyed straight after the race. I know what I can be like if someone p!sses me off in a meeting with a customer (a race must be their equivalent of an important meeting right? :D ). But after a little venting (the equivalent of their interviews) I calm down.... perhaps that's what Froome needs to do - no need to air your dirty washing in public.

He'll be changing his facebook status next, so all his mates can ask him what's up and give him a ((((( )))))
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2013
    I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until it's confirmed that it's, in fact, not Chris' very own Miss Bucket who created that tweet for him...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Everyone is going to take this so seriously are nt they?

*Sigh* Can't we have one thing this tour that's just fun? :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    ddraver wrote:
    Everyone is going to take this so seriously are nt they?

*Sigh* Can't we have one thing this tour that's just fun? :(

Nah, storm in a teacup. But it's not boxing, a bit of professionalism doesn't hurt does it?

(BTW think this is the first negative thing I've said about Froome this tour).
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    ddraver wrote:

3 Mins ago so at ~11pm
    I reckon he should have had a quiet word with Contador rather than blurting it on twitter, that sounds like his nutty girlfriend to me to be fair.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    ddraver wrote:

rats ‏@ratsbey
    @chrisfroome @albertocontador Oi... go to bed... BOTH OF YOU!

:lol::lol::lol:

Genius!
  • Froboz
    Froboz Posts: 32
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Well he usually knows how to liven up a race i will give him that but at base level he is simply a drugs cheat living on ill gotten past glories......not much class in that.

Like so many others in the Pro Peleton. One day all the riders will be clean hopefully, but until then we've got what we've got. Oh, and his performance today would suggest you're wrong, with respect.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited July 2013
    ddraver wrote:

3 Mins ago so at ~11pm

If he did say that it's quite funny, and it's only twitter!!, I've never understood why anyone can get wound up about anything on twitter. If he did say it he's probably having a laugh, and it is true what's said as well anyway, Contador did fall off after all.

...also, If AC did mean the thing at Quintana as sarcasm then that's a great little hissy fit too :)

All gave everyone something to talk about for a moment (sorry, pages and pages of it), like someone else said, all of this is just a couple of storms in a teacup, well, little farts in a teacup at most.

Roll on tomorrow! :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ThomThom wrote:
    I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until it's confirmed that it's, in fact, not Chris' very own Miss Bucket who created that tweet for him...
    Someone else definitely has access to it because he tweeted in the middle of a stage the other day.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Froboz
    Lightning wrote:
    I know everyone likes to hate on Contador over here, but do you haters really think he's a bad, non-exciting rider? Just take a moment to imagine this Tour without him there. No attacks on mountain stages, no echelon attacks during flat stages, etc.. Just Froome riding steady up mountains after Porte has done his thing and everyone else settling for second.

Everyone doesn't hate him. I think he's an exciting rider. He's done what he's done and he's received the punishment deemed fit. I'd rather have a race with him than without.
  • Froboz
    ddraver wrote:

3 Mins ago so at ~11pm

Wow! If that's genuine then Froome is well out of order IMHO.
  • Pross
    Froboz wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

3 Mins ago so at ~11pm

Wow! If that's genuine then Froome is well out of order IMHO.

Why? All he is saying is Contador fell in front of him and he nearly crashed into his head. Slightly exaggerated from what I saw but not offensive.
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Someone else definitely has access to it because he tweeted in the middle of a stage the other day.

Voice recognition. He was spinning gently up Ventoux dictating a Tweet saying 'gonna attack now watch heads explode at the Clinic and Bike Radar lol #dopingforthefunofit '
  • Froboz
    Pross wrote:
    Why? All he is saying is Contador fell in front of him and he nearly crashed into his head. Slightly exaggerated from what I saw but not offensive.

Because it's displaying a complete lack of respect towards Contador. It's like a child chiding it's parent. I didn't say it was offensive, just completely inappropriate.
  • Lightning
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Voice recognition. He was spinning gently up Ventoux dictating a Tweet saying 'gonna attack now watch heads explode at the Clinic and Bike Radar lol #dopingforthefunofit '
    That explains why he was talking to the radio so much. Those voice recognition things always seem to make you repeat things over and over until they understand it.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Froboz wrote:
    [

Because it's displaying a complete lack of respect towards Contador. It's like a child chiding it's parent. I didn't say it was offensive, just completely inappropriate.

FFS :roll:

This is jsut getting going. A bit of spice is just going to add to the fun.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    I think Froome has shown a distinct lack of maturity over this incident, in the interview I saw (the ITV4 one with Ned Boulting), with the tweet but mostly in the way he rode that descent. It was totally idiotic of him to have chased Contador like that. It could have cost him the entire tour. I bet Brailsford was livid.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    I admire Froome's tenacity in seeking to give nothing away on this tour.

I should imagine DB will be chuffed to bits when his team wins the tour for the second year running. In fact love them or hate them, the punter will be hard pressed to get a value bet on them winning the tour next year.
  • mfin
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I think Froome has shown a distinct lack of maturity over this incident, in the interview I saw (the ITV4 one with Ned Boulting), with the tweet but mostly in the way he rode that descent. It was totally idiotic of him to have chased Contador like that. It could have cost him the entire tour. I bet Brailsford was livid.

All sounds a bit melodramatic? He didn't do any riding I would class as 'totally idiotic', I wouldn't even class Contador's riding and falling off as 'totally idiotic'. I'm sure Brailsford would be calm and collected, not livid, there was nothing there to get stressed about.
  • mfin
    oneof1982 wrote:
    I admire Froome's tenacity in seeking to give nothing away on this tour.

+me too (1)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Froome tweeting 'in the midddle of the race': it is possible to set a timer for tweets to detonate later. A particularly good time is when an opponent may be having some trouble sleeping due to an abundance of fresh road rash.

And I think that the red mist 'descended' on Froome, when the smart thing to do was lay off and reel them back if necessary on the less technical stuff. But he got away with it. Racers gonna race.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • powerbookboy
    powerbookboy Posts: 241
    goonz wrote:
    Contador looking good. Third week he is always the strongest. Expect more fireworks later this week. Bodes well for the fans.

Strangely enough immediately after a rest day...

I expect a fair few GC riders have been stung for some crimson this morning...