TDF 2013 Stage 16 **Spoilers** Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Froome never was good going downhill (will post something about this in the thread with info from the interview).

Contador can try and descend as fast as he likes on the front on the group. If Froome is scared to follow then he can hang back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzNFnOx-RA

Cant believe it was Beloki corner!

See? We can agree!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Froome never was good going downhill (will post something about this in the thread with info from the interview).

Contador can try and descend as fast as he likes on the front on the group. If Froome is scared to follow then he can hang back.

Froome did arguably better on the descent than Alberto today. What a recovery that was avoiding Alberto. Porte even more so bridging the Movistar group.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I reckon Froome has just switched bland mode off in an attempt to generate some different "controversial" questions from the press. :wink:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I reckon Froome has just switched bland mode off in an attempt to generate some different "controversial" questions from the press. :wink:

:lol: I would be tempted if I was him. And what's all this nonsense about him walking out of the press conference yesterday. He got up and walked out when told by Brailsford and co. that they needed to wind things up and go out for a ride. He'd already gone beyond the 30 minutes they had set aside. He didn't just walk out when he got bored of the questions. Although I wouldn't have blamed him if he had.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Froome saying Contador was careless for pushing the limits on such a dangerous descent. Contador went down and he had to go off-road to miss him :D (ES jersey interview)
    It was his choice as to whether or not to follow at the same speed, no?

Tend to agree. It's a race and they all want to win. Nobody is forcing him to follow at a speed he thinks is too high.

Fair comment from Froome IMO, he wasn't moaning because he was worried about his own cornering. Did you miss the part where Contador crashed in front of him?
  • foxya3xx
    foxya3xx Posts: 20

If you watch the Froome/Contador crash again you'll see it definitely isn't Beloki corner. The road below Froome and Contador wasn't actually turned onto, rather all the riders went straight on.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Laurens Ten dam big loser today. Massive fail getting caught on tv trying to drop a big phlegm gob which didnt quite go to plan...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Tom Dean wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Froome saying Contador was careless for pushing the limits on such a dangerous descent. Contador went down and he had to go off-road to miss him :D (ES jersey interview)

Tend to agree. It's a race and they all want to win. Nobody is forcing him to follow at a speed he thinks is too high.

Fair comment from Froome IMO, he wasn't moaning because he was worried about his own cornering. Did you miss the part where Contador crashed in front of him?

SO if he thinks COntador is going too fast to be safe, he doesn't have to follow does he? Just keep doing his thing and let physics sort it out.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    If it was careless of Alberto, it was careless of Froome as well. He's in a position where there's absolutely no need to to sit on the wheels of someone who's being that risky. He even had Porte with him in case a gap was created. And Movistar would have been there as well.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

SO if he thinks COntador is going too fast to be safe, he doesn't have to follow does he? Just keep doing his thing and let physics sort it out.
    I don't think the thought process works that way. You go as fast as you think you can grip on the road. You can't be expected to worry about someone going down in front of you when you are comfortable with your speed. If Contador had attacked, and Froome lost it on a corner, and complained, the comments would make more sense.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Had Froome held back and Contador gone down then he may have ended up gaining time - it wasnt clear to me why CF was chasing Alberto so hard or why he was so detremined to go with JRod in the sprint. Clearly making a statement.
  • Tom Dean
    Paulie W wrote:
    Had Froome held back and Contador gone down then he may have ended up gaining time - it wasnt clear to me why CF was chasing Alberto so hard or why he was so detremined to go with JRod in the sprint. Clearly making a statement.
    Riding second wheel behind a good descender is usually a good idea!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Navarro up to 14th, 48 seconds clear of Valverde, 22 seconds behind Talansky.

That'll ensure Cofidis get an invite again next year.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    ThomThom wrote:
    If it was careless of Alberto, it was careless of Froome as well. He's in a position where there's absolutely no need to to sit on the wheels of someone who's being that risky. He even had Porte with him in case a gap was created. And Movistar would have been there as well.
    +1. The same applies to when they fell. I was honestly expecting Froome and Porte to make Contador do the chasing (it's not like Froome would have lost the Tour there if they didn't catch them).
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Just seen the end of the stage on +1, Froome looks a solid descender, as an ex MTB racer he should be good, Contador looks a bit desperate, Porte is awesome. I think Contador has a battle to be on the podium, barring mishaps Quintana looks the favourite to finish second then it'll be between Contador and Mollema for third.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Contador with a dodgy joint:

BPTxZUlCEAAxZhl.jpg:large
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Macaloon wrote:

that'll sting in the shower.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Macaloon wrote:

Ooo that's rare. *Sorry* :oops:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • williamac
    williamac Posts: 71
    ATC - Post of the day for me..... :D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    In general, if a rider takes risks on a descent and pushes the limits of his own safety then that's his own choice. But he can't then expect others to wait for him if he crashes. That's like placing a bet and demanding a refund when it doesn't win. You can't have it both ways.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    This girl is on Fi-yar etc
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    le-tour-france-2013-stage-20130716-164543-844.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    OH WILL YOU LOOK AT THAT

Mr Porte gets dropped by 100m then uses his SKY TM powers of recovery to make it back and hit the front. WTF :roll:
    I've not seen coverage yet but explain the difference between "Kreuziger turning the screw" and Porte getting back on the back and such polarized hatred and respect ?

Yer screw turner is one of Ferrari's ex pals.......
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    So now we know Contador can't climb and can't descend. His Tour is over unless Froome falls off a cliff.

Shame because I although I want him to lose, I did want him to put on a good show. He hasn't.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    RichN95 wrote:
    In general, if a rider takes risks on a descent and pushes the limits of his own safety then that's his own choice. But he can't then expect others to wait for him if he crashes. That's like placing a bet and demanding a refund when it doesn't win. You can't have it both ways.
    By the same token, there’s no rule against trying to have it both ways, hoping the others are dumb enough to let you have your cake and eat it too. Nor is there a rule against giving sarcastic thumbs-up signs and generally trying to pysch someone out.

Yeah all of the above, loved today's stage and a bit of needle to spice it up.

Exquisite timing from carlton kirby "if you want someone to lead you down a mountain, contador is probably the ideal man for the job"......skid.....grind....."madre de puta!"...."stupid maaan!" Etc.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    pat1cp wrote:
    OH WILL YOU LOOK AT THAT

Mr Porte gets dropped by 100m then uses his SKY TM powers of recovery to make it back and hit the front. WTF :roll:
    I've not seen coverage yet but explain the difference between "Kreuziger turning the screw" and Porte getting back on the back and such polarized hatred and respect ?

Yer screw turner is one of Ferrari's ex pals.......

Blah blah blah, same old anti Sky bull.

Anyone who actually watched the stage could see the pace in the Yellow group eased. Anyway, Richie is one of the top climbers, what makes you think he cant take a 10 second breather then make another effort? These anti Sky knee jerks are getting really tedious.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    BigMat wrote:
    I guess the thumb up was an easier option than a sarcastic hand-clap!

Sure, but since Contador was the one who caused the crash, why did he refuse to help Froome and Porte get back? He might be mad at Quintana but Froome has a right to be mad at Contador.
  • Mark Cavendish @MarkCavendish
    Had the embarrassment of having to stop in a field today in front of the whole peloton with a VERY poorly stomach. #mindyourstep

Didn't have the same panache as Bakelants to do it in a hat whilst on the bike.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I fell asleep just before it all kicked off today.. so embarrassed :oops:

Woke up to see Porte, Froome, and Contador chasing back on.. need to catch the highlights tonight I think!
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    That wasn't the corner Beloki fell off at. Armstrong did about 200 metres XC. There was a road just below them when they turned right.