TDF 2013 Stage 16 **Spoilers** Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    josame wrote:
    The many meanings of Thumbs Up

Thumbs up does not have a universal meaning.

In Iran, the thumbs up is traditionally an obscene gesture, equivalent to the use of the middle finger in the Western world.

In the USA, American Sign Language users use this hand shape to indicate the number ten when wiggled modestly left and right. When held stationary and thrust toward another person the meaning is 'yourself'. When lifted up by the other palm, the meaning is 'help'.

In Japanese sign language, the thumbs-up indicates a man, or male gender as opposed to an extended pinky indicating female.

In India, although the gesture is well accepted, similar gestures have negative connotations, while doing a thumbs up, if the hand is wagged from side to side in a reverse-pendulum like movement, it means "won't work" or "disagree".

In Brazil, it can be used in lieu of saying "thanks".

Thanks, do I get my minute back :roll:

No but you can have a thumbs up Iranian style.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Thumbs up can also be sarcastic.

Especially if the hand is shaken, it makes it look aggressive. I wonder if that was a sarcastic thumbs up from Contador?

contrary to popular belief it also means "KILL THEM"
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador looking good. Third week he is always the strongest. Expect more fireworks later this week. Bodes well for the fans.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    josame wrote:

In Iran, the thumbs up is traditionally an obscene gesture, equivalent to the use of the middle finger in the Western world.

In the USA, American Sign Language users use this hand shape to indicate the number ten when wiggled modestly left and right. When held stationary and thrust toward another person the meaning is 'yourself'. When lifted up by the other palm, the meaning is 'help'.

In Japanese sign language, the thumbs-up indicates a man, or male gender as opposed to an extended pinky indicating female.

In India, although the gesture is well accepted, similar gestures have negative connotations, while doing a thumbs up, if the hand is wagged from side to side in a reverse-pendulum like movement, it means "won't work" or "disagree".

Burn! :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Contador looking good. Third week he is always the strongest. Expect more fireworks later this week. Bodes well for the fans.
    and you :wink:
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Am I going nuts or was that really BELOKI corner?

It did look like it.

My initial thought was - too many trees. However with a decade of growth it could well be.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    josame wrote:

Ha Ha. Nice one ATC.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    "Careless of Contador" Froome.

"He is obviously getting desparate" Froome
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Froome coming across as a bit of a d1ck there.
  • ddraver
    Think Froome feels the same about Bertie at the moment...
    - @ddraver
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    oneof1982 wrote:

Oh god. That's me outta this thread, then. Have fun everyone.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited July 2013
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    edited July 2013
    mike6 wrote:
    josame wrote:

Ha Ha. Nice one ATC.

Next time just put the wiki link up :wink:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Macaloon wrote:
    Froome saying Contador was careless for pushing the limits on such a dangerous descent. Contador went down and he had to go off-road to miss him :D (ES jersey interview)
    It was his choice as to whether or not to follow at the same speed, no?
  • ddraver
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Froome saying Contador was careless for pushing the limits on such a dangerous descent. Contador went down and he had to go off-road to miss him :D (ES jersey interview)

You ll do anything to show he's being a d1ck then...
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    oneof1982 wrote:

Miaow!

Although I have been moaning about him spouting platitudes for the last 2 years.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106

Strangely enough immediately after a rest day...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Amazing win by Rui Costa, as always. Think the sarcastic thumbs up by Contador was because they kep pushing (Quintana and Valverde both said they had to keep pushing to widen the gap to Kwiatkowski).
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Agreed. Strange thing to say. Software bug maybe. (Deleted post saying same as many above, btw)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • disgruntledgoat
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Tend to agree. It's a race and they all want to win. Nobody is forcing him to follow at a speed he thinks is too high.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Definitely a sarcastic thumbs up to Quintana as a 'thank you' and 'well done' and 'what the hell were you thinking' all rolled into one for pulling away when he crashed.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2013
    Quintana says he doesn’t understand why Contador gave him the thumbs up, but immediately followed up by explaining he had to defend his white jersey. So he does know: Contador was annoyed Quintana didn’t wait for him when he crashed.
    ThomThom wrote:
    Alberto's sarcastic thumbs up to Movistar for pacing after his own crash was quite pathethic. Caused it himself and it was in the finale. You don't wait for that - especially when it's caused by being too risky.

Movistar do have a history of spicing things up a bit when opponents have crashed, though - which is also why no one cared about Valverde's puncture a good week ago.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    If Contador's thumbs up was sarcastic he is surely out of order. His crash was his own fault - you cant be expected to wait in those circumstances not for the guy in third anyway!!
  • disgruntledgoat
    Again though, why is Quintana obliged to wait for Bertie when he crashes? He's battling him for a placing and the race was on

@gietvangent
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    goonz wrote:
    Definitely a sarcastic thumbs up to Quintana as a 'thank you' and 'well done' and 'what the hell were you thinking' all rolled into one for pulling away when he crashed.

If I was Quintana I'd have replied "I'm not happy with the white jersey, I want third place from you too". It's very much a possibility if he flies up the Alpe.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Lightning wrote:
    Amazing win by Rui Costa, as always. Think the sarcastic thumbs up by Contador was because they kep pushing (Quintana and Valverde both said they had to keep pushing to widen the gap to Kwiatkowski).

That's the beauty of cycling - just make sure you have a legitimate reason to ride or not as the case may be, and take full advantage.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2013
    Again though, why is Quintana obliged to wait for Bertie when he crashes? He's battling him for a placing and the race was on

He isn't. Fair enough Alberto took risks to gain some time on Mollema and Quintana but he was careless and could only blame himself had he lost some time.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Froome never was good going downhill (will post something about this in the thread with info from the interview).

Contador can try and descend as fast as he likes on the front on the group. If Froome is scared to follow then he can hang back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzNFnOx-RA

Cant believe it was Beloki corner!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Lightning wrote:

That's the beauty of cycling - just make sure you have a legitimate reason to ride or not as the case may be, and take full advantage.

And presumably also said "see how our jerseys look different? clue!"

@gietvangent
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I guess the thumb up was an easier option than a sarcastic hand-clap!

Froome was probably meaning it was careless of Contador to fall off which is fair enough - on this occasion it appears Froome had the measure of the descent and managed to keep it together even with a man down in front of him.