TDF 2013 Stage 16 **Spoilers** Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap

Comments

• powerbookboy
    powerbookboy Posts: 241
    Paulie W wrote:
    Had Froome held back and Contador gone down then he may have ended up gaining time - it wasnt clear to me why CF was chasing Alberto so hard or why he was so detremined to go with JRod in the sprint. Clearly making a statement.

This. Despite the evidence to the contrary, I think Contador is the only one who worries Froome, so he was taking very unnecessary risks. Sprint's just dick waving.

But if he looks at it logically, he's going to gain time tomorrow, leaving only crashes or complete explosion to cost him this tour. CF might not like it, but Wiggins was very pragmatic last year - he should take a leaf out of that playbook...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I think some of Froome's approach of not letting anything go is influenced by him losing the Vuelta by just 13 seconds.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • powerbookboy
    powerbookboy Posts: 241
    Daz555 wrote:
    So now we know Contador can't climb and can't descend. His Tour is over unless Froome falls off a cliff.

Shame because I although I want him to lose, I did want him to put on a good show. He hasn't.

Could you suggest another rider outside of CF and Quintana who's made more of an impression that Contador? I do think people are overly critical when he doesn't wipe the floor with the opposition. Most riders would kill for one of his crap days, and at least he's trying to attack (unlike the Belkins).
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    At the end of the day, Froome really has no business telling anyone how to deal with a descent. That's why I think that tweet is a bit annoying.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ThomThom wrote:
    At the end of the day, Froome really has no business telling anyone how to deal with a descent. That's why I think that tweet is a bit annoying.
    He probably shouldn't have tweeted it, but a friendly bit of advice when someone is being silly should not be discouraged. It reminds me of when, out on my bike on Newport Road in Cardiff, I once told a cyclist he shouldn't have gone through some red lights after he had caused a car to brake and swerve. He told me to F off. Then he immediately went through another red light and got run over by a Volvo.

(He was not badly hurt)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    ThomThom wrote:

At the end of what day? Nothing wrong with a bit of psychological warfare against an opponent.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Was the Volvo okay, though?
  • I had a friend touch a wheel in a vets race two weeks ago on the back of a breakaway having just caught up with it, his team mate (another rider I have been out with) went down with him. Nobody else fell. The team mate spent a week in hospital with a ruptured spleen. I will take the piss out of my friend he expects it - its the British way, if Bertie messed up by falling off as the lead rider he has to take the sh1t - however he wants to pass the sh1t down the line.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Generally I am a fan of team sky, but never been into froome. I had to admit ventoux and how he handled himself when isolated in week 1 were impressive - this latest moan is less so. Sounded almost as pathetic as schleck at the start of the show moaning about the descents in the wet.

At that point I was actually more on contadors side - then he went and had his own dig at Movistar for paying him back for what he did to valverde. All seems square to me and pretty pointless.

See also Richie Porte has changed his tune about Quintana after his week 1 comments. To be fair to him he was a solid teammate today.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Froboz wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Why? All he is saying is Contador fell in front of him and he nearly crashed into his head. Slightly exaggerated from what I saw but not offensive.

Because it's displaying a complete lack of respect towards Contador. It's like a child chiding it's parent. I didn't say it was offensive, just completely inappropriate.

Hang on, Contador nearly put him out of the race or didn't you see that? Of course he has the right to comment.

Foetal position everybody.....
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Froboz wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Why? All he is saying is Contador fell in front of him and he nearly crashed into his head. Slightly exaggerated from what I saw but not offensive.

Because it's displaying a complete lack of respect towards Contador. It's like a child chiding it's parent. I didn't say it was offensive, just completely inappropriate.

You not think you are being a bit of drama queen about this ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think some of Froome's approach of not letting anything go is influenced by him losing the Vuelta by just 13 seconds.

And having a weak team.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    What a curious conclusion to yesterday's stage ? Has two weeks in the sun boiled their heads.

1. Why on earth was Froome chasing contador so much - he's got over 4 mins on him and will probably get a little bit more in the TT. He should have just let him go. Even if Contador had got 20 seconds on him at the bottom, Porte and him riding 2-up surely would have clawed a bit of that back. (I know someone mentioned the Vuelta above so maybe that's stuck in his head) and Froome's remarks afterwards were a bit childish. Get over it. Maybe they should have shared the combativity award :lol:

2. Why didn't Froome and Porte just sit up and let Bertie do some pulling at the front rather than just trying to wave him through. There were people in the group ahead that Contador wouldn't have wanted to lose time to.

3. The thumbs up incident ? Sorry, I think Bertie was out of order. If AC wants to risk his GC position on a descent and goes off then that's just racing. I'm not sure relations between Movistar and Ac are that good. It wouldn't surprise me to see Movistar try and toast Bertie. If I was a Sky DS I'd be in the Movistar bus plotting to maybe get Quintana up the GC for some help (not that I think Sky look like they need much but there are some tough days ahead)

As for the rest of the stage ? A good win by Rui Costa but a real shame no French winner. There were opportunities, I'm sure, and I don't think they'll get another chance this race.

On a general note, and I'll probably be shot down in flames for this, but is Cuddles past it ? He's not had the best of Tours. However maybe he's just got too much Giro still in his legs however much he tries and you can never fault him for effort. He said prior that he felt good but he's not really delivered if you ask me and in general it's been a poor GT for BMC what with TJ having a shocker too. I have a lot of time for Evans and feel a bit sorry looking at him struggle.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Who the F is Froome to talk to Contador like that? Stick thin, ugly, posh boy who suddenly comes to ET prominence under a money`s team safe as houses compared to the best stage racer of a generation from a poor background who had to fight tooth and nail for his success with panache and mental fortitude. And all that after Contador defends him.

Richie Porte ‏@richie_porte 14h
    Think I grew a few grey hairs after today's finale #stress

LOL. These boys are soft as silk.

CORVOS_00021667-094.jpg

Contador is a dream rider for the pure fans.
    "This is pure and simple cycling. Today we tried and in the end a Belkin rider was unhooked and another was on the ropes," he said.

"I have not been able to make differences, but hey, the legs are getting better and I hope I can give some spectacle. I don't know if we'll win or not, but I hope the people behind the TV will enjoy.

"Whenever I see that there is a chance, I'll try to do something, either at the beginning or at the end of the race. And we'll see what is the final result in Paris."

le-tour-france-2013-stage-20130716-164543-844.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I still just think it's funny....

Seriously Man up, shake hands and stop being such whiny little b1tches the pair of you*

*them - possibly the rugby player in me here...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Who the F is Froome to talk to Contador like that?
    He's the one in the yellow jersey FF :wink:
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Who the F is Froome to talk to Contador like that? Stick thin, ugly, posh boy who suddenly comes to ET prominence under a money`s team safe as houses compared to the best stage racer of a generation from a poor background who had to fight tooth and nail for his success with panache and mental fortitude. And all that after Contador defends him.

Richie Porte ‏@richie_porte 14h
    Think I grew a few grey hairs after today's finale #stress

CORVOS_00021667-094.jpg

Contador is a dream rider for the pure fans.
    "This is pure and simple cycling. Today we tried and in the end a Belkin rider was unhooked and another was on the ropes," he said.

"I have not been able to make differences, but hey, the legs are getting better and I hope I can give some spectacle. I don't know if we'll win or not, but I hope the people behind the TV will enjoy.

"Whenever I see that there is a chance, I'll try to do something, either at the beginning or at the end of the race. And we'll see what is the final result in Paris."

le-tour-france-2013-stage-20130716-164543-844.jpg

Come on FF, get real. Contador is "your" dream rider is all.

"Stick thin ugly posh boy"? Thats just playground name calling. You post some good stuff on here, dont spoil it. Lets face it Froome is racing, every day. Contador is trying to attack, let them go for it and see what happens without the silly "I had a tougher background than you had" nonsense.
    Anyway, If Contadoes background was that tough he should be able to beat Froome no problem, what with his "strongest team ever". His words.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    ddraver wrote:
    I still just think it's funny....

Seriously Man up, shake hands and stop being such whiny little b1tches the pair of you*

*them - possibly the rugby player in me here...
    Alberto+Contador+Chris+Froome+Tour+Oman+Day+DzXO58JdypMx.jpggetty
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Ah, the link does nt work Skylla....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391

Utterly, utterly pathetic Frenchie. You do yourself a MASSIVE dis-service with playground comments like this.
    Are you really this immature in real life, or just when you're behind they keyboard?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Who the F is Froome to talk to Contador like that?
    Well he's currently Contador's superior in every aspect of the sport and hasn't dragged the sport which pays his living through the dirt through rampant cheating.

He could punch Contador and still hold the high ground. :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    edited July 2013
    All went a bit 4th cat yesterday didn't it?

Froome should probably wind his neck in, he's not obliged to hold the wheel and can't complain if doing so goes wrong.

Contador moaning at a team trying to nick his GC spot was unedifying too.

Also, does anybody remember FFs vociferous support of Valverde all through his travails, saying nothing was proven, we should give him the benefit of the doubt and that banning him was stupid as he'd just win everything again afterwards?

Odd how attitudes change when it's a rider you don't like isn't it?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dsoutar
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Utterly, utterly pathetic Frenchie. You do yourself a MASSIVE dis-service with playground comments like this.
    Are you really this immature in real life, or just when you're behind they keyboard?

With over 16000 posts, seems like that might be "real life" :wink:
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Daz555 wrote:
    He could punch Contador and still hold the high ground. :mrgreen:

Thats a fight I would pay to watch between these 2 spangly armed and legged twigs.

It would be like watching two beetles on their backs trying to right themselves all skinny arms and legs in the air flailing in every direction but still not achieving anything.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    dsoutar wrote:
    A stoater of a post which included:

3. The thumbs up incident ? Sorry, I think Bertie was out of order. If AC wants to risk his GC position on a descent and goes off then that's just racing. I'm not sure relations between Movistar and Ac are that good. It wouldn't surprise me to see Movistar try and toast Bertie. If I was a Sky DS I'd be in the Movistar bus plotting to maybe get Quintana up the GC for some help (not that I think Sky look like they need much but there are some tough days ahead)

Froome's openly talking up the battle for minor placings. For Movi, an alliance of convenience with Sky could be a real help to Quintana.

Also

Chris Fr00me @chrisfr00me
    I buried the hatchet with Wiggo, @albert0contador, between his shoulder blades. Didn't do much for his descending. Do you want some?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Silk is one of the strongest natural fibers so I'd say that's a pretty good metaphor you've used their Frenchie.

Anyway thank god we have something else to talk about! :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Yes, any nice recipes from this part of France?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Yes, any nice recipes from this part of France?

We're just going to do Tartiflette for a few days aren't we?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • They'll all be mates, chumming it up by the time the cameras roll. All put down to the demands of the race, desire to win, etc etc.
  • dsoutar
    . All put down to the demands of the race, desire to win, etc etc.

At least we can't argue with that ! Good to see I suppose but less handbags would be good. I'm sure the press love it though. Diverts them from the interminable doping questioning for a day I guess. Must have a look at L'Equipe today