TDF 2013 Stage 16 **Spoilers** Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    goonz wrote:
    Froome goggle update. Yellow radars, not jawbones. Phew. Panic over. Taste has been restored. 8)
    Nah, he was sporting yellow radars earlier in the race looks like a pair of yellow jawbones today.

They won't show us his face. It's like they know we want to check out his eyewear. Come on French TV director man. We need to know!
    I've spotted them bottom pieces on each lens is black, look much better than the white.

Is he a supporter of the Livestrong foundation?

I have a feeling the doping thread is about to kick right off!

My thoughts exactly.

I always hated the way LA hijacked the colour yellow. Reclaim it people.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    All quiet innit. Might do some work :(
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Apparently only Sky, Cannondale, Astana and Belkin don't have anyone in the break...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,534
    Bit disappointing (not sure what I was hoping for). Hopefully something will happen on the final climb.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Does anyone have a handy list of which riders are playing the long game, and which are playing the short game?
  • TheBigBean
    Whilst we're on the subject of jerseys, I want to, once again, bang the drum for the panache jersey.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Arguably, that's the combativity prize...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Nice rock formations here.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Hmmmm. Medium mountain stage with a fast descent at the end. This has Peter Velits written all over it.

Would love to see Nico Roche get in the mix. He's a pretty decent descender and not without a kick.

Kudos to Albasini for being in a live break again. Like Chavanel he is soooo money.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Bring back the combination prize. That's what I say.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • TheBigBean
    edited July 2013
    ddraver wrote:

It is indeed, but a prize and a red number for one day is not the same as wearing / keeping a jersey that says you have ridden with the most panache in the tour.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Why is Eurosport banging on about Pinot's descending when the stated reason for his withdrawal is a throat infection? They're making it sound as if his career is over FFS.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

It is indeed, but a prize and a red number for one day is not the same as wearing / keeping a jersey that says you have ridden with the most penache in the tour.

Surely that would need to be judged in a similar way to say rhythmic gymnastics, figure skating and synchronised swimming. Not really sports are they?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

It is indeed, but a prize and a red number for one day is not the same as wearing / keeping a jersey that says you have ridden with the most panache in the tour.

You get a trophy and some flowers too :wink:
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    edited July 2013
    Bring back the combination prize. That's what I say.

I still have (and occasionally wear) an original Castelli replica of this jersey. Fabric is awful but sized before Italian sizing went stupd; its an XL but bigger than contemporary Castelli XXXL :roll:

Looks proper 80's (1989 to be exact)

Edit: Here it is
    11.png
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • TheBigBean
    hammerite wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

It is indeed, but a prize and a red number for one day is not the same as wearing / keeping a jersey that says you have ridden with the most penache in the tour.

Surely that would need to be judged in a similar way to say rhythmic gymnastics, figure skating and synchronised swimming. Not really sports are they?

There might be an element of subjectivity, but that exists in proper sports like cricket and football too. Anyway, that's how the comabitivity prize is currently done.
  • ddraver
    afx237vi wrote:
    Why is Eurosport banging on about Pinot's descending when the stated reason for his withdrawal is a throat infection? They're making it sound as if his career is over FFS.

Becasue Pinot himself said that he was leaving becasue of the descents....
    - @ddraver
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Out of interest if there was a jersey for that, who do you think would be in it/would win it?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    My first "rock solid" contribution:

2000px-France_geological_map-fr.svg.png
    www.dotcycling.com
  • disgruntledgoat
    afx237vi wrote:

I think all the articles on that were asking us to read between the lines. His quotes sounded absolutely miserable.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    Oooh Braided fluvial classic....
    - @ddraver
  • afx237vi
    ddraver wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Do you mean the phobia stuff? That was last week after Ax 3 Domaines.

His team FDJ.fr announced that he would not take to the start of the 16th stage on Tuesday, due to a sore throat.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pinot-o ... -de-france
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    afx237vi wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

His team FDJ.fr announced that he would not take to the start of the 16th stage on Tuesday, due to a sore throat.

Sore throat????

At least make it sound worse!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ddraver
    afx237vi wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

*patient sigh*

Yes and according to Kirby, Pinot then came out of the hotel with his kitbag* and said that he was leaving becasue of the descending

*kitbag unconfirmed
    - @ddraver
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:

I think all the articles on that were asking us to read between the lines. His quotes sounded absolutely miserable.

It's lazy writing. FDJ gave a reason and then everyone shoehorned in the descending stuff whether it's relevant or not.
  • afx237vi
    ddraver wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

*patient sigh*

Yes and according to Kirby, Pinot then came out of the hotel with his kitbag* and said that he was leaving becasue of the descending

*kitbag unconfirmed

Got a link?
  • TheBigBean
    goonz wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Out of interest if there was a jersey for that, who do you think would be in it/would win it?

Well this year is a bit tricky as there haven't been many breaks, so it might also be in Froome's wardrobe, but I'm open to suggestions. In years gone by it would have been won by Dekker, Voigt etc
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Mavic

Carlton says Mavitch (like itch), I've always pronounced it Mavick (like magic).

Do we have a forum consensus?
  • ddraver
    No, because you can't link to what a commentator was saying on a live broadcast...

Man it really is a boring day today isnt it...
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    TheBigBean wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Well this year is a bit tricky as there haven't been many breaks, so it might also be in Froome's wardrobe, but I'm open to suggestions. In years gone by it would have been won by Dekker, Voigt etc

Jacky Durand would have got to keep it for winning it so many times.

@gietvangent