Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2013
    I'll see you and raise you..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjMOgU0CUss
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ha yeah, saw that one but didnt see a post on Bauer. Not just Sagan that can swing like that ; )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    Pretty amazing that he can do it about 5 times against the best in the World, on a mountain with little oxygen, on a hot day, after 220km of very fast racing AND still continue to tap out a very fast past after. You don`t see that sort of recovery very often.

We'll just have to hope it was clean, unlike the famous Contador v Rasmussen duel from the '07. Beating an '07 - '11 Contador by over minute would be unthinkable that's for sure.
    Contador did great to hang with him but it was just too much. He was looking superb at the early part of the climb and I thought it would be his day. He was virtual second for a while and I would have been happy if he hung on to that - big shame he blew in the last km and lost 30secs. Not sure why he did no work with Nieve - maybe he was totally cooked trying to follow Froome`s ET spins. I would also like to know what he was saying - I was thinking: contract at Saxo if you help? 5k if you help? Or maybe he was just asking help from a friend..he has many of those in the peloton.
    Yeah, Contador blew alot in the last few k's.

Armstrong had plenty of friends in the peloton too.
    Anyone know what Froome was using the radio for all the way up the climb?
    Not that unusual, the team guys will have more idea of the gaps extending, narrowing, why not use it?
  • frenchfighter
    Armstrong was a bully. He did not have friends.

It is unusual to see a GC rider on a massive attack to speak into his radio many times. Not saying it is bad or good but worth noting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Pross wrote:
    Cracking stage that. People attacking miles before the top and holding on. To go all Frenchie, Quintana and Froome are real racers and Froome is a True Champion. I'm starting to warm to him. Was very surprised to see Gilbert only 8 minutes down but I suppose it was just the one climb. Kennaugh's ride was heroic and no-one can accuse him of lack of effort. Been a great Tour so far.

You missed out Nieve just like everyone else seemed to!

He attacked 2.5mins or so before Quintana and managed to finish 3rd despite riding the vast majority of the climb solo.

He is also the winner of the greatest GT stage ever.

He deserved to be picked up by a great team a couple of years ago and given a higher salary although maybe he is happy with his current situation.

Glad you've brought up Nieve, Kirby kept ignoring him completely on the commentary and me and Mrs Tapir were rooting for him ever since he did well last week (she's a carrots fan anyway). He did a great ride yesterday and I did wonder about Anton who is supposed to be team leader.

Two things that Carrots cannot do is TT and Echelons.

Froome's salary alone probably would cover the Carrots team budget?

Edit: FF, re the 'greatest GT stage ever', you must be talking about the ridiculous Giro stage in 2011 (i think or 2010...)? Up the Mortirolo was it? I'm not too good on Italian mountains.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Armstrong was a bully. He did not have friends.

It is unusual to see a GC rider on a massive attack to speak into his radio many times. Not saying it is bad or good but worth noting.

Re Armstrong, I'm reading 'How I won the Yellow Jumper' at the moment and just passed the bit he talked about the Armstrong/Simeoni thing and how as Simeoni went back through the peloton he was spat at. Ned thought that Armstrong had 'friends' but I think its more out of fear due to the bullying and power.
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2013
    MrTapir wrote:
    Edit: FF, re the 'greatest GT stage ever', you must be talking about the ridiculous Giro stage in 2011 (i think or 2010...)? Up the Mortirolo was it? I'm not too good on Italian mountains.

Yep Stage 15 of the Giro 2011. 7.5 hours in bad conditions (at the end) up all those mountains. Most definitely one the the very best stages I have ever watched.

Stage 15 results
    1 Mikel Nieve (Euskaltel Euskadi) 7:27:14
    2 Stefano Garzelli (Acqua&Sapone) + 1:41
    3 Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank) + 1:50
    4 Michele Scarponi (Lampre) + 1:57
    5 John Gadret (AG2R) + 2:28
    6 José Rujano (Androni) + 2:35
    7 Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas) + 3:34
    8 Joaquim Rodríguez (Katusha) + 3:34
    9 Roman Kreuziger (Astana) + 4:01
    10 Steven Kruijswij (Rabobank) + 4:13
    11 Denis Mechov (Geox) + 4:23
    12 David Arroyo (Movistar) + 4:30

altimetria_15.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    Ah, yes. It was almost dark when they finished that one. 7:27:14 .. lol.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    For the short time Froom & Quintana were working together Froome just couldn't keep still, on the radio, droping behind, taking it up again.

"He told me to work with him because Contador was losing time. He said that if we were still together when we got to the finish then he would let me win, but I couldn't follow in the last two kilometres," Quintana said."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/quintan ... oux-attack
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    UncleMonty wrote:
    For the short time Froom & Quintana were working together Froome just couldn't keep still, on the radio, droping behind, taking it up again.

"He told me to work with him because Contador was losing time. He said that if we were still together when we got to the finish then he would let me win, but I couldn't follow in the last two kilometres," Quintana said."

More or less the same conclusion my wife and I came to when watching it.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    UncleMonty wrote:

oooooh. No Gifts on Ventoux Chris!
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    I don't think he knew what to do, he attacked twice then held station, then decided that the 30 secs to Contador just wasn't enough.
  • alihisgreat
    Also from that CN link he did have a nosebleed!

I though I was seeing things at the bottom of the climb but turns out he did.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    ThomThom wrote:
    On the ITV4 podcast from last night Ned Boulting said he was sat in a car watching the race with Dave Brailsford and some Sky folk. He said when Sagan pulled his wheelie everybody laughed and whooped, except DB who swore and complained that Sagan was endangering the peloton. A few minutes later DB did say it must have been very difficult to do!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    UncleMonty wrote:

Haha, I think Quintana would have been happier with that than Pantani was with Armstrong!
  • alihisgreat
    Paul 8v wrote:
    UncleMonty wrote:

Haha, I think Quintana would have been happier with that than Pantani was with Armstrong!

Quintana is already regarded as some kind of man-god in Columbia.. Imagine if he had won on Ventoux :shock:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:
    UncleMonty wrote:

Quintana is already regarded as some kind of man-god in Columbia.. Imagine if he had won on Ventoux :shock:

I kind of wish he had after all the fallout from Froome's victory, he's a bloody good rider though to be fair, especially at 23 (If he really is 23) if he can improve his TT then I think we could see big things from him.
  • Froboz
    Froboz Posts: 32

He's an Indian giver. I wouldn't have wanted to play marbles with him when he was a child.
  • Froboz
    Froboz Posts: 32
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I kind of wish he had after all the fallout from Froome's victory, he's a bloody good rider though to be fair, especially at 23 (If he really is 23) if he can improve his TT then I think we could see big things from him.

Bigger than winning the TdF?
  • thomthom
    Graeme_S wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    On the ITV4 podcast from last night Ned Boulting said he was sat in a car watching the race with Dave Brailsford and some Sky folk. He said when Sagan pulled his wheelie everybody laughed and whooped, except DB who swore and complained that Sagan was endangering the peloton. A few minutes later DB did say it must have been very difficult to do!

What a party killer.
  • Paul 8v
    Froboz wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Bigger than winning the TdF?

You think he's going to win then? Looking at the stages to come it's entirely possible but Froome is on form.
  • frenchfighter
    ThomThom wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

What a party killer.

LOL if true. Not helping their cold and staid reputation.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    ThomThom wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

What a party killer.

:lol: Love this if true. Brailsford was probably calculating how many watts it would have cost Sagan to lift his front wheel.
  • Paul 8v
    ThomThom wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

What a party killer.

I really hope that's not true! I also liked Millars sign off the other day when he went off the back of the breakaway, nice to see a bit of character in the peloton
  • graeme_s-2
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I really hope that's not true! I also liked Millars sign off the other day when he went off the back of the breakaway, nice to see a bit of character in the peloton
    I missed that, what did Millar do?

I see the DB thing as the career driven boss rolling his eyes at the office joker. It made me laugh when I heard it.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    ThomThom wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    What a party killer.
    Yeah but it's just Brailsford, not the team or staff as a whole. I always imagine people like Brailsford find it hard to really enjoy anything, being so driven always has a price.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    dougzz wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    What a party killer.
    Yeah but it's just Brailsford, not the team or staff as a whole. I always imagine people like Brailsford find it hard to really enjoy anything, being so driven always has a price.

^this. He is your typical jobsworth.
  • graeme_s-2
    Given the interest I've just listened back to the relevant bit of the podcast and transcribed Ned's story. Cut out some umming and ahing and some interruptions by Boardman and Rendell, but other than that it's pretty accurate.
    I was sat in a car with Dave Brailsford watching the race at the precise moment when Sagan was caught by the bunch and pulled this enormous wheelie just as the bunch were coming on him. Dave's eye was y'know, he was just interested in his team and the people behind [Sagan], and everyone was going "awww, that's brilliant isn't it?" and he muttered something pretty derogatory about Sagan endangering the bunch who were closing pretty fast behind him, called him all sorts of names, and then went silent for about 10 seconds and then went "mind you that is quite impressive, pretty difficult to do that".
  • frenchfighter
    Who wants to bet that Sagan has 10 fans for every 1 that Froome has? Probably being generous there too.
    Contador is the Greatest