RichN95. Posts: 27,241
edited June 2014 in Pro race
The profile: stage_15_profile_600_1_670.jpg
The climb profile: Mont_Ventoux-B%C3%A9doin_profile.jpg
The mountain: Mont_ventoux_summit.jpg
The memorial: tom-simpson-memorial-schoeband.jpg
The geology: volcanodiagram.GIF
The cheese: ly_rigotte-de-condrieu.jpg

Everybody happy? You bet the f*** we are.
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Lance-Armstrong-tackles-M-001.jpg
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz
    pic1879219_600.jpg
  • goonz
    Cant have a Mont Ventoux stage without these 2!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    *applause*

Something for everyone in Rich's post to open the thread.

I'm heading off to Bedoin in 5.5 hours and I'm so excited that I cant sleep!
  • goonz
    *applause*

Something for everyone in Rich's post to open the thread.

I'm heading off to Bedoin in 5.5 hours and I'm so excited that I cant sleep!

**Trying not to give off any vibes of envy**

Please try and take as many photos as you can? Would love to see some amazing shots...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    RichN95 wrote:
    The profile: stage_15_profile_600_1_670.jpg
    The climb profile: Mont_Ventoux-B%C3%A9doin_profile.jpg
    The mountain: Mont_ventoux_summit.jpg
    The memorial: tom-simpson-memorial-schoeband.jpg
    The geology: volcanodiagram.GIF
    The cheese: ly_rigotte-de-condrieu.jpg

Everybody happy? You bet the f*** we are.
    Is there not a local breed of horse?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Already got a couple of bits of Caravan tat for you, Goonz...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    goonz wrote:
    pic1879219_600.jpg

If you must post pictures of tw@ts, can you keep it in the Bottom Bracket section please ;)
  • goonz
    Already got a couple of bits of Caravan tat for you, Goonz...

Nice 1 mate
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    This is with whom I always associate Ventoux :

Jean-Francois 'Jeff' Bernard winner of the TT up there in 1987.

The combined jersey, the headband, the dodgy tache. It's the 80s.
    bern87.jpg

(Also 50s faster than Pantani & Armstrong for those that think that sort of thing means anything)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    220kms just to arrive at the BASE of the Ventoux..... it'll be a biggie today.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I have ridden it......... But sadly only on my old i=magic Tacx trainer. Even on there its a long long slog. If I had done it in the true spirit I should have had a fan heater on, full blast, rather than a cooling fan. Wimp.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    WOOOOOOOOOO YEAH!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I thought it was a myth that Ventoux was an extinct volcano?
    If only we had a tame geologist on the forum..................
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It's been too long since the race went up Ventoux. Awesome mountain. Shame that the race will be for the stage win rather than the GC win.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    aaaaarrrrrggghhh so excited about today's showdown
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Milton50 wrote:
    It's been too long since the race went up Ventoux. Awesome mountain. Shame that the race will be for the stage win rather than the GC win.
    The only way I can see that Froome isn't going to take at least a minute out of all his rivals is if they isolate him and (metaphorically) beat him up on the way to the bottom of the mountain. If they do that, a break is likely to be doomed. Sadly, I suspect they won't, the stage will be won by a breakaway rider and Froome will re-gain all the time lost on stage 13.

Edit: If a breakaway rider does take it, I would love it to be Bardet.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Agree it looks an ideal stage for Froome, but if any of the favourites can outclimb him today or even match him we could have an interesting week given the vulnerability his team have shown.

Ps - is Rich's top,photo of the other side up from Malaucene?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    One word...Movistar, the Revenge! (yes I realise that's three words)

He who must not be named :twisted: will be spitting feathers after Friday. I would think that they want to make someone hurt today, perhaps not directly Froome but certainly the fabulous Belkin boys, let's see...

EDIT: PS Rich's opening post is the post of the Tour for me so far!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    As I deviated slightly in yesterdays Spoiler thread, today's race passes through Valence where the French will tell you the south begins.

In truth, it's a hole. Jean Marie La Pen's home town, the park "next to" the Rhone requires you to gaze across a motorway to see it, it's major tourist attraction is the international museum of shoes.

It's cathederal (c. 13th century) does also have a museum, when I visited (in 2000 admittedly) it was a collection of items people had left in the building, including foreign currency, about 1000 umbrellas and a prosthetic leg, lord knows how you would forget that.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Lots of talk on twitter from journos that the wind is starting to build.

Edit: made me lol

@inrng: It must be about now that Marc Madiot pulls out his CD of La Marseillaise and does the loudest team briefing ever
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    “Riding the Ventoux stage is a dream come true,” said Froome, who is protecting a 2 min 28 sec advantage over the field. “It really is an epic day and for a lot of guys their day will be over by the time we even get to the bottom of the climb.”

Read into that what you will..... :shock: Come on Froomie !!!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It's cathederal (c. 13th century) does also have a museum, when I visited (in 2000 admittedly) it was a collection of items people had left in the building, including foreign currency, about 1000 umbrellas and a prosthetic leg, lord knows how you would forget that.

It was a Cathedral. Its owner had no further need for its its support.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    OMG I am so excited I just mopped the kitchen floor for want of something to do before my Sunday ride. It got washed only yesterday.

It is a beautiful mountain, brutal but so, so aesthetically pleasing.

I'm hoping for some nasty wind, just because I like to know others have suffered the curse of the wind on that mountain.

I am looking in my encylopdeia of European equines for a local horse and I also need to find some local cows.

So so excited! :D:D:D:D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • disgruntledgoat
    OMG I am so excited I just mopped the kitchen floor for want of something to do before my Sunday ride. It got washed only yesterday.

NO sunday ride for me after concussing myself yesterday. I'm basically twiddling my thumbs for 3 hours yet...

Dutch strong verbs in the past tense it is!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    A quick trip to the local town to see what the townsfolk have got planned for Bastille Day, let the little one run around in the park for an hour or so, spot of lunch and then back to settle down in front of the Eurosport coverage for the afternoon. Hopefully interspersed with regular wickets from Trent Bridge and England wrapping it up before coverage gets under way.
  • disgruntledgoat
    A quick trip to the local town to see what the townsfolk have got planned for Bastille Day, let the little one run around in the park for an hour or so, spot of lunch and then back to settle down in front of the Eurosport coverage for the afternoon. Hopefully interspersed with regular wickets from Trent Bridge and England wrapping it up before coverage gets under way.

I need to factor Warrington's challenge cup QF into my afternoon somehow too.

@gietvangent
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758

NO sunday ride for me after concussing myself yesterday. I'm basically twiddling my thumbs for 3 hours yet...

Dutch strong verbs in the past tense it is!

PFS25-B.jpg
  • fudbeer
    fudbeer Posts: 118
    Anyone watching the ride on eurosport?

The Ventoux episode is particularly good the amateur guy is really good! dropped Kelly dispite giving him his wheel! :oops:
    Currently I have been mostly riding a Specialized Roubaix Comp