TDF 2013 Stage 15 - Ventoux *Spoilers*

Comments

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    ddraver wrote:
    Damn you guys (and gals) are good. It is as well, I'm a reformed mtber for my sins

Oi there's nothing wrong with MTBing - Sport of Kings! :)

Yeah but triathlon?* We're all agreed on triathlon right?

Oy, there's nothing wrong with triathlon! The Brownlees are two of the outstanding athletes of current times.
  • jtomes1993
    jtomes1993 Posts: 73
    Hi, i have been lurking on this forum since the start of the year and after seeing some of the discontent at the diminishing level of the quality of forum i decided this might be a good time to write my first post. Firstly i'd like to thank all the people who regularly comment on the forum especially posts on the stage threads, i don't have eurosport or the capability to stream races so the contributions really help to create a narrative of whats going on in the race as well as giving me (indirectly) a greater understanding of the intricacies of the sport. people such as ATC, ddraver, tallwindhome, French fighter, Richn95, RR, disgruntledgoat, leisterlad, Thomthom, macaloon and probably many more i forgot to mention continuously seem to contribute all the links, pictures, and general insight that any cycling fan could need. whilst not wanting to blow to much smoke there also seems to be greater level of discussion and banter had on this thread than most of the others i have found as well as plenty of ridiclous tangents (15x15 palava and what not). so once again thanks to those thank make this forum a great place to visit, but if i could make on criticism it is the overuse of this bloody roll eyes smiley :roll: i don't know why but it really annoys me.

P.S. i was also surprised as others when i found out abovethecows was a woman, it was a twist of Tyler Durden, Crying game proportions

This has summed up pretty much the same thing for me - love the forums and all the banter, it's a great way to follow the racing if you don't have access to live images, particularly enjoying the spoiler threads during my afternoon at work!

It is a tad difficult to get away with in the office sometimes when I'm asked what I'm laughing at (Frenchie's Camargue horse episode is a particular favourite) but generally good following accompanied with CN ticker.

Can't post at work but I will be following to the end and have read near enough every (weekday) spoiler thread going, from the beginning.

Keep up the good work! :D:D
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    ddraver wrote:
    Damn you guys (and gals) are good. It is as well, I'm a reformed mtber for my sins

*Although could really do with a short sleeved cycling jersey, my tan lines are awful.

Oh sista, don't get me started....
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Paul 8v wrote:
    P.S. i was also surprised as others when i found out abovethecows was a woman, it was a twist of Tyler Durden, Crying game proportions

Welcome! Just to let you know, I'm not the only one, woman that is. There be more of my kind lurking around these parts.
    Welcome!

Is Richmond racer a lady? Apologies if I have that wrong!

Yes she is.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    I've only just finished watching the stage, I thought Quintana was going to do but alas no, this begs a question though.

He seemed to spend much longer riding solo than Froom did, he only finished 29 secs down, if he'd have attacked 2K or 3K later, or, just stayed with the group and latched onto Frooms attack of Contador he'd have had more left in the tank ?
    I loved the way he & Froom both attacked from distance but can't help feeling he should have taken this stage.
  • cyclingsheep
    ddraver wrote:
    Hi, i have been lurking on this forum since the start of the year and after seeing some of the discontent at the diminishing level of the quality of forum i decided this might be a good time to write my first post. Firstly i'd like to thank all the people who regularly comment on the forum especially posts on the stage threads, i don't have eurosport or the capability to stream races so the contributions really help to create a narrative of whats going on in the race as well as giving me (indirectly) a greater understanding of the intricacies of the sport. people such as ATC, ddraver, tallwindhome, French fighter, Richn95, RR, disgruntledgoat, leisterlad, Thomthom, macaloon and probably many more i forgot to mention continuously seem to contribute all the links, pictures, and general insight that any cycling fan could need. whilst not wanting to blow to much smoke there also seems to be greater level of discussion and banter had on this thread than most of the others i have found as well as plenty of ridiclous tangents (15x15 palava and what not). so once again thanks to those thank make this forum a great place to visit, but if i could make on criticism it is the overuse of this bloody roll eyes smiley :roll: i don't know why but it really annoys me.

A very warm welcome to you! :wink:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Welcome!

If there is one thing worse than the rolly eyes, it's that cheesey, smirky, winky emoticon :wink: :roll:

Yep, and despite my use of them in a previous post, if you need to use them it just ain't funny
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    ddraver wrote:
    Paul - try redbull.tv when it's on (they also do catchup)

They ve got a lorra lot better at it recently.
    Thanks DD some of the red bull stuff is awesome to be fair
  • jtomes1993
    I train for and race triathlons, but as a cross rider I can actually handle my bike, and I hate watching pro tri's because no one attacks or rides in a group properly, what does that make me?
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:

*Although could really do with a short sleeved cycling jersey, my tan lines are awful.

Oh sista, don't get me started....

You have a lot of them down there eh? I apologise now for the 80 year old one in the Hamilton area. I am in no way related to him at all. No not at all.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Yep it's got Rob Warner too which is always a refreshing change from ES or ITV! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cyclingsheep
    UncleMonty wrote:
    I've only just finished watching the stage, I thought Quintana was going to do but alas no, this begs a question though.

He seemed to spend much longer riding solo than Froom did, he only finished 29 secs down, if he'd have attacked 2K or 3K later, or, just stayed with the group and latched onto Frooms attack of Contador he'd have had more left in the tank ?
    I loved the way he & Froom both attacked from distance but can't help feeling he should have taken this stage.

+1
    I said it before that I think Movistar played it wrong but as someone more informed than me posted it depends on your goals. If it was stage win then correct, he went too soon, but if it's white jersey and possible podium then they played it spot on.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    ddraver wrote:
    Yep it's got Rob Warner too which is always a refreshing change from ES or ITV! ;)
    Yes, can't forget the Danny Hart commentary, "look at the whip!!!"
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    r0bh wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Oy, there's nothing wrong with triathlon! The Brownlees are two of the outstanding athletes of current times.

They are, the triathlon thing is a bit of a running joke though, I regularly get my butt kicked by Triathletes, the fit bar-stewards, no bike handling skills though...
  • above_the_cows
    Jtomes1993 wrote:
    I train for and race triathlons, but as a cross rider I can actually handle my bike, and I hate watching pro tri's because no one attacks or rides in a group properly, what does that make me?

Very, very young if you were born in 1993?! #Ifeelold :D
  • jtomes1993
    Jtomes1993 wrote:

Young? I'm in my twenties now :(
  • cyclingsheep
    Jtomes1993 wrote:

A lost cause?....
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Jtomes1993 wrote:
    Jtomes1993 wrote:

*cries at the irony*
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Jtomes1993 wrote:
    Jtomes1993 wrote:

Haha, classic!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • above_the_cows
    Paul 8v wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

They are, the triathlon thing is a bit of a running joke though, I regularly get my butt kicked by Triathletes, the fit bar-stewards, no bike handling skills though...

I have nothing against triathletes. It's just a running joke in my family, a long running brotherly feud between my father the cyclist and my uncle the runner who then discovered ironman aged about 60.
  • cyclingsheep
    Paul 8v wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I have nothing against triathletes. It's just a running joke in my family, a long running brotherly feud between my father the cyclist and my uncle the runner who then discovered ironman aged about 60.

Big ups (ew get me) to them, my knees at 40 aren't up to that
  • above_the_cows
    Jtomes1993 wrote:

A lost cause?....

In political theory we would call you 'liminal'.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Just seen the highlights - Obvious case of doping....Valverde on mogadon :lol:

I wouldnt be surprised if movistar dont do sky a few favours in return for getting quintana on the podium- he's easily the better prospect out of mollema/kreusziger/ten dam, and as much as I;d love to see it I cant see mollema's tour getting any better than it is now.

Awesome days racing.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Just watched on catch-up - brilliant racing, fair play to Froome and Quintana.

Loved Kennaugh literally stopping dead after he came off the front, I thought he was just going to topple over.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Rundfahrt wrote:

You remind me of the kids in the classes that I teach who make more noise trying to shush everyone when I am waiting for silence.

You also remind me of the kids who will tell someone they don't like to shut up while ignoring their buddies who are being much louder.
    You're a teacher?! Wow.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    hammerite wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    Ooof Rolland 8 mins behind Froome

Brill. No more stupid head to toe in red dots.

Mr Richardson on Eurosport pretty much just said the same.
    Yellow jersey with polkadot shorts anyone?
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Was there, just below chalet Reynard. Froome attacked right in front of me, was shocked to see maillot jaune as I knew Quintana had gone off the front. Great to see a key(ish) moment live.

The bloke with stuffed boar, boar had a broken front leg. Think he was carrying it by time he got on TV!

Sagan was zig-zagging as he came past - I now know why!

Really good ride from Gilbert, I thought. Although is sticking with Cadel a good ride these days?

Griepel well ahead of grupetto, riding with Voigt.

Millar seemed to be really enjoying it.

Dan Martin properly stared at me when I shouted for him - as if he thought he knew my voice.

Totally missed Cav (was looking for OPQS), but got 2 good pics of him drinking coke right in front of me.

The Sojasun guy miles off the back was properly blown. Really happy to hear he made the limit (long stage & fast time meant I thought he had a hope despite being majorly dropped). Chapeau, sir!

Chalet Reynard was a lot busier than 2009, corner afterwards was about the same.

Oh, and thanks to the numpties who ruined a decent thread. You've put a dampener on a great day for me - thanks!

Was it wrong that I told some Aussie riders they'd just lost the Test match?
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    nic_77 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

You remind me of the kids in the classes that I teach who make more noise trying to shush everyone when I am waiting for silence.

You also remind me of the kids who will tell someone they don't like to shut up while ignoring their buddies who are being much louder.
    You're a teacher?! Wow.

Yes, I am. Thanks for saying wow, as I am pretty proud of how successful I have been.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

You're a teacher?! Wow.

Yes, I am. Thanks for saying wow, as I am pretty proud of how successful I have been.
    Unsubscribe. You are just too quick witted for me.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Paul 8v wrote:

Welcome! Just to let you know, I'm not the only one, woman that is. There be more of my kind lurking around these parts.
    Welcome!

Is Richmond racer a lady? Apologies if I have that wrong!

Yes she is.

Well, she's a female!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Cracking stage that. People attacking miles before the top and holding on. To go all Frenchie, Quintana and Froome are real racers and Froome is a True Champion. I'm starting to warm to him. Was very surprised to see Gilbert only 8 minutes down but I suppose it was just the one climb. Kennaugh's ride was heroic and no-one can accuse him of lack of effort. Been a great Tour so far.