TDF 2013 Stage 15 - Ventoux *Spoilers*

Comments

• jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    jerry3571 wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I think, especially today, we have just had a UK based rider pass the Simpson Memorial, in Yellow and win one of the hardest stages; this is an "exceptional" day.

By the way, I didn't say that Froomey doped as he has passed all the tests but as Hamilton says in his book that passing a dope test is only an intelligence test.

Today is huge on how UK cycling looks at itself in 2013. If you work at the grass roots, like I do, then you know that teenagers who are progressing in Cycling must look at the sport in the face and not only the glory of today. Juniors are picked up by BC and fast tracked to go on to greater things and if it's a future of doping then we have to look at what we are doing.

Are you implying what you seem to be? Evidence please!

I knew the guy who found Nicole Cooke and the BC involvement with Youth Development is all part of the BC Sky deal. A lot of the Sky Team have come through this system where they are found by BC Coaches then put on the track and then off to World Track and Olympics then off to Sky. It's a more relaxed version of the Jan Ullrich system where kids are developed to bring on for later glory. If and when there is doping is anyone's to guess but as they say; "You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."

Peter Kennaugh-

He became a member of British Cyclings Olympic Academy in 2008, moving with the rest of the squad to live in Tuscany, Italy.[5] In 2008 he came second in the senior British National Road Race Championships thus becoming the British under 23 champion. In February 2009 he became the British Madison Champion partnering Mark Christian.[6]
    Team Sky

On 9 September 2009, it was announced that Kennaugh would turn professional in 2010, riding for the new British professional Team Sky.[7] He was described by Cycling Weekly as "the most talented youngster to roll off the Isle of Man production line since his friend and star sprinter Mark Cavendish".

So you have no evidence of doping. Thanks

No mate; I think crime and punishment doesn't work that way. Crime happens and then the accused is put up for prosecution where there is evidence.
    It's disappointing to get your attitude and seems the Omerta is still up and running. I'll leave as I'm speaking too much (shh...). One day there'll be unhappy books about all this.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    There's no attitude Jerry. I just think that insinuations that BC run a system of doping akin to the DDR should be aaccompanied by some substantiation. You presumably wouldn't like somebody publicly making out you were a drug dealer
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's the main highlight of today's race.

http://www.up-shack.com/assets/up/10866 ... 40c8b4.swf

Note: Watch it with speakers on :D
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    edited July 2013
    well at least we are spared PR in the polka dot pajamas
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    YEEEES! He's done it! Ten Dam is Strava KOM!

http://www.strava.com/activities/67057155
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Good stage and a very good Tour so far. It would've been nice to see a bit more pressure but on Froome but this is real life, not a movie.
    Good thread too, shame the idiots have come out at the end :cry:
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    NapoleonD wrote:

Perhaps they should add an orange jersey competition for the Strava users in the peloton...?
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome really needs cut the 'I didn't expect to win' nonsense out.

He's a bit dull off the bike, isn't he.. Almost a bit.. too nice to everyone :)

The quiet ones are the ones to be wary of.

His comments regarding Quintana are total BS. He attacked him about 4 times including with about 1.3km to race when je finally popped, but in his interview he said he was certain Quintana was going to win.

I agree with you too - ugliest attacks ever on that climb. Effective though even if they aren't believable.

What total, utter and unmitigated tosh. You can attack someone 100 times, If he responds to them all then he can still go when you are knackered. You only know they are cooked when they drop off the wheel.

Ugly attacks????? What are you talking about? He attacked and eventually won, on the Ventoux. So you are saying, as usual, that unless someone rides exactly the way you deem fit it is not a proper victory?

Lets face it, if your boy Contador had done exactly the same thing you would have been crowing about "Panache" for days. Why do you bother posting when someone from Sky wins?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    poppit wrote:
    I'm warming to Froome though, seems to be a quiet, intelligent, thoughtful guy who loves his sport, doesn't appear to be a lot of ego there.

I agree. The only thing that's really annoying me about him is that he obviously wants a career as a telephone receptionist.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Bo Duke wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Lads Im', back in, NO NEWS what happened, I don't even know who won ?

If I tell you that Froome is back to being the greatest cheat since My Grandad playing Monopoly you can probably fill in the rest mate... ;)

Oh feck me, have I missed something BIG ?? :shock:

PS: My 11 year twins are shocking cheaters at monopoly but it doesn't mean I don't love them... :mrgreen:

*Off Topic*

I used to have a secret stash of Monopoly money in the toilet. I somehow needed the toilet a lot when playing monopoly. :lol:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    adr82 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Perhaps they should add an orange jersey competition for the Strava users in the peloton...?

Nap deserves an honoury orange jersey for his ceaseless badgering! :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Bo Duke wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

If I tell you that Froome is back to being the greatest cheat since My Grandad playing Monopoly you can probably fill in the rest mate... ;)

PS: My 11 year twins are shocking cheaters at monopoly but it doesn't mean I don't love them... :mrgreen:

*Off Topic*

I used to have a secret stash of Monopoly money in the toilet. I somehow needed the toilet a lot when playing monopoly. :lol:

Ohhhhhhh!!! That is just despicable, albeit genius, behaviour! I mean serious that's "I'm sorry you don't believe in dreams" stuff!
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I have definitely been one of the idiots today and I apologise for my part in derailing the thread.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    mike6 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Lets face it, if your boy Contador had done exactly the same thing you would have been crowing about "Panache" for days. Why do you bother posting when someone from Sky wins?

this
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • ddraver
    Moray Gub wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

this

Yooooor name vill also go on ze list!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq6vKaDT-QKJbFP-kLONMJpK5n6-LE0SQswXa76NMr7-c5_EHo
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    So Ten Dam did the strava segment in just over 1 hour, Froome was what? 2m30s ahead so not exactly a Pantani performance.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

*Off Topic*

Ohhhhhhh!!! That is just despicable, albeit genius, behaviour! I mean serious that's "I'm sorry you don't believe in dreams" stuff!

*Off Topic* You had to to time it right too. I would wait for another round of the board before sneaking out my newly acquired wad of dosh and buying a hotel. I pulled it off for 5 years. When my mother found the stash of cash, my defence was that she should be ashamed that it was at least 5 years since she had cleaned under the pile of books on top of the loo. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Yellow Peril
    didn't see the race, just watching the highlights. nice turn by Little Pete.

I'm loving Bakelants, he's just loving this Tour. Deffo on the hero wall with Johnny, I want lowlands nationality!
    @JaunePeril

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    ddraver wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

this

Yooooor name vill also go on ze list!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq6vKaDT-QKJbFP-kLONMJpK5n6-LE0SQswXa76NMr7-c5_EHo

lol loved that scene .....think my name is already on the list from a few years back.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    ddraver wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

*Off Topic*

*Off Topic* You had to to time it right too. I would wait for another round of the board before sneaking out my newly acquired wad of dosh and buying a hotel. I pulled it off for 5 years. When my mother found the stash of cash, my defence was that she should be ashamed that it was at least 5 years since she had cleaned under the pile of books on top of the loo. :D

That's marvellous. Best form of defence is attack :lol:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Yellow Peril
    Littler Pete spent. That was a turn!

The fabulous Belkin boys are starting to show. I think this Tour might herald an era of great racing from a variety of teams.
    @JaunePeril

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Lightning wrote:
    Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's the main highlight of today's race.

:lol: The start of this is so good.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2013
    mike6 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

He's a bit dull off the bike, isn't he.. Almost a bit.. too nice to everyone :)

The quiet ones are the ones to be wary of.

His comments regarding Quintana are total BS. He attacked him about 4 times including with about 1.3km to race when je finally popped, but in his interview he said he was certain Quintana was going to win.

I agree with you too - ugliest attacks ever on that climb. Effective though even if they aren't believable.

Ugly attacks????? What are you talking about? He attacked and eventually won, on the Ventoux. So you are saying, as usual, that unless someone rides exactly the way you deem fit it is not a proper victory?

I don't think anyone is saying it wasn't a proper victory - could it be anything else? The man just beat each and everyone comfortably. The attack, his style, they way it looked when he attacked was ugly - you know, aesthetic wise. Not the attack itself (at least that was the way I meant it)

But Ireally thought it looked bloody ridiculous when he got away on that high cadence.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    davidof wrote:
    So Ten Dam did the strava segment in just over 1 hour, Froome was what? 2m30s ahead so not exactly a Pantani performance.
    Ten Dam was 1.53 behind.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    edited July 2013
    STUART O'GRADY ‏@StueyOG
    Congrats @chrisfroome. The last LEGEND to win up Mt Ventoux was no other than the Greatest cyclist on earth, Eddy Merckx in 1970! #KingsClub

I'm hearing that a Mr Fighter has filed for copyright infringement

(not sure what Stuey's on either)

STUART O'GRADY ‏@StueyOG
    In the Yellow Jersey that is!!! @StueyOG @chrisfroome

Ah ah....
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    disappointed at the fracturing of Valverde. I expected more from Lord Vader
    @JaunePeril

• ddraver
    Macaloon wrote:
    Lightning wrote:

:lol: The start of this is so good.

Hah hah, Sporza did one for Boonen and Canc when Fab rode away on the Muur too, I can't find it though :(
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Just saw Froome drop Contador. What gear was Contador in? he was pedalling like he was in the 53x11 in comparison to Froome!
    @JaunePeril

• No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:
    STUART O'GRADY ‏@StueyOG
    Congrats @chrisfroome. The last LEGEND to win up Mt Ventoux was no other than the Greatest cyclist on earth, Eddy Merckx in 1970! #KingsClub

I'm hearing that a Mr Fighter has filed for copyright infringement

(not sure what Stuey's on either)

I reckon he must have lost an Ashes first test bet and that's his forfeit.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Just saw Froome drop Contador. What gear was Contador in? he was pedalling like he was in the 53x11 in comparison to Froome!

Was that not because Froome looked to be pedalling 11x53?