Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    ThomThom wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome really needs cut the 'I didn't expect to win' nonsense out.

He's a bit dull off the bike, isn't he..
    It's not a crime...

Never said that, did I?

Ok so would you rather he said something like this ......"i knew i was gonna p*ss all over these clowns ?"

Because there's definitely nothing in between the two.. Definitely not.. Jesus..

He thought he would not win the stage and said so......move along nothing to see here...jesus indeed.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Ten Dam needs to get with the program...still no upload on his strava!
  • Lichtblick wrote:
    BACK ON TOPIC

So, how is anyone else (no matter whom) going to make nearly 5 minutes on Froome in the final week?

Is there any record of this before? (pointless question really: this is the new era and all that)

Froome getting sick or having a really badly timed mechanical or crash, is that the only "hope" if a person wants someone else to win or better - wants a proper nail-biting fight for the GC?

Can't really see it can you? I wonder if he did have a crash/mechanical would the peleton wait for the yellow jersey?
    He's very mild mannered and may have made some friends.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I don't mind the doping chat, there's obviously still some going on...who knows who though. The good news is that it will all come out in the wash at some point.

On another note, what is this word 'cheaters'?

In English it's 'cheat'. The biggest 'cheater' being LA (and 97% of the peloton at that particular time)
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    ThomThom wrote:
    Froome really needs cut the 'I didn't expect to win' nonsense out.

I agree with you too - ugliest attacks ever on that climb. Effective though even if they aren't believable.

Btw any comment on Bertie totally lacking panache and wheelsucking a youngster all the way up Ventoux ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Now I am being told I can't watch a stage, see the times, know the history, know what is going on in cycling now and form an opinion...that is if that opinion does not proclaim Sky 100% above doubt. :lol:

Repetition sadly does not improve the quality of your opinion.

Do everyone a favour and take it somewhere more appropriate - either the doping thread or another forum where spouting b0ll0cks over and over again just to annoy people is better received.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    And after all that I forgot to post what I was intending to.

I'm not a SkyBoy nor really a Froome fan but you have to give him credit for his achievements in this race, it looks to me like he is absolutely focused and to be honest he is racing like his life depends upon it.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Bit rough expecting a guy just off the O2 mask to continue the entertainment on the mic. I thought his comments before the stage about the other guys leaving a lot of energy on the road were interesting. You don't often get top protagonists suggesting their competition has a specific weakness.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Rundfahrt
    Simon E wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Now I am being told I can't watch a stage, see the times, know the history, know what is going on in cycling now and form an opinion...that is if that opinion does not proclaim Sky 100% above doubt. :lol:

Repetition sadly does not improve the quality of your opinion.

Do everyone a favour and take it somewhere more appropriate - either the doping thread or another forum where spouting b0ll0cks over and over again just to annoy people is better received.

Are you the guy who approves opinions here? When I signed up I did not see the part about needing to get my opinions approved ahead of time. :lol:
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    I'm warming to Froome though, seems to be a quiet, intelligent, thoughtful guy who loves his sport, doesn't appear to be a lot of ego there.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    The quiet ones are the ones to be wary of.
    His comments regarding Quintana are total BS. He attacked him about 4 times including with about 1.3km to race when je finally popped, but in his interview he said he was certain Quintana was going to win.
    I agree with you too - ugliest attacks ever on that climb. Effective though even if they aren't believable.
    The king of irony, superb post.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    poppit wrote:
    I'm warming to Froome though, seems to be a quiet, intelligent, thoughtful guy who loves his sport, doesn't appear to be a lot of ego there.

+1
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Rundfahrt
    poppit wrote:
    A la Indurain.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Lichtblick wrote:
    BACK ON TOPIC

So, how is anyone else (no matter whom) going to make nearly 5 minutes on Froome in the final week?

Is there any record of this before? (pointless question really: this is the new era and all that)

Froome getting sick or having a really badly timed mechanical or crash, is that the only "hope" if a person wants someone else to win or better - wants a proper nail-biting fight for the GC?

Can't really see it can you?

Not nice.
    I wonder if he did have a crash/mechanical would the peloton wait for the yellow jersey?

Who knows? It depends on the circs. Nails on road, maybe. Chain coming off, maybe not. Who knows?

And who says the peleton all work together anyway? :shock:
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I think, especially today, we have just had a UK based rider pass the Simpson Memorial, in Yellow and win one of the hardest stages; this is an "exceptional" day.

By the way, I didn't say that Froomey doped as he has passed all the tests but as Hamilton says in his book that passing a dope test is only an intelligence test.

Today is huge on how UK cycling looks at itself in 2013. If you work at the grass roots, like I do, then you know that teenagers who are progressing in Cycling must look at the sport in the face and not only the glory of today. Juniors are picked up by BC and fast tracked to go on to greater things and if it's a future of doping then we have to look at what we are doing.

Are you implying what you seem to be? Evidence please!

I knew the guy who found Nicole Cooke and the BC involvement with Youth Development is all part of the BC Sky deal. A lot of the Sky Team have come through this system where they are found by BC Coaches then put on the track and then off to World Track and Olympics then off to Sky. It's a more relaxed version of the Jan Ullrich system where kids are developed to bring on for later glory. If and when there is doping is anyone's to guess but as they say; "You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."

Peter Kennaugh-

He became a member of British Cyclings Olympic Academy in 2008, moving with the rest of the squad to live in Tuscany, Italy.[5] In 2008 he came second in the senior British National Road Race Championships thus becoming the British under 23 champion. In February 2009 he became the British Madison Champion partnering Mark Christian.[6]
    Team Sky

On 9 September 2009, it was announced that Kennaugh would turn professional in 2010, riding for the new British professional Team Sky.[7] He was described by Cycling Weekly as "the most talented youngster to roll off the Isle of Man production line since his friend and star sprinter Mark Cavendish".
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Macaloon wrote:
    Bit rough expecting a guy just off the O2 mask to continue the entertainment on the mic. I thought his comments before the stage about the other guys leaving a lot of energy on the road were interesting. You don't often get top protagonists suggesting their competition has a specific weakness.

Did he, dammit I was going to say that...As Cool as the Saxo Echelons were, putting all 8 riders into the red like that (see their grimaces) must have taken a big toll. Bertie looked good for a long way up there he just did nt quite have it in the last few km...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Rundfahrt
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    BACK ON TOPIC

Not nice.
    I wonder if he did have a crash/mechanical would the peloton wait for the yellow jersey?

Who knows? It depends on the circs. Nails on road, maybe. Chain coming off, maybe not. Who knows?

And who says the peloton all work together anyway? :shock:

Somehow I am guessing Contador and Valverde would want to push things if he did have an issue. Just an opinion based on what I have seen. Uh-oh! :shock:
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    A la Indurain.
    Quite liked Indurain as well although it did get a bit boring in the TdF with the way he won them, he was poetry in motion in time trials. Watching Chiapucci trying to time trial was fun though.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    A la Indurain.

Or Bassons.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    jerry3571 wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I think, especially today, we have just had a UK based rider pass the Simpson Memorial, in Yellow and win one of the hardest stages; this is an "exceptional" day.

By the way, I didn't say that Froomey doped as he has passed all the tests but as Hamilton says in his book that passing a dope test is only an intelligence test.

Today is huge on how UK cycling looks at itself in 2013. If you work at the grass roots, like I do, then you know that teenagers who are progressing in Cycling must look at the sport in the face and not only the glory of today. Juniors are picked up by BC and fast tracked to go on to greater things and if it's a future of doping then we have to look at what we are doing.

I knew the guy who found Nicole Cooke and the BC involvement with Youth Development is all part of the BC Sky deal. A lot of the Sky Team have come through this system where they are found by BC Coaches then put on the track and then off to World Track and Olympics then off to Sky. It's a more relaxed version of the Jan Ullrich system where kids are developed to bring on for later glory. If and when there is doping is anyone's to guess but as they say; "You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."

Peter Kennaugh-

He became a member of British Cyclings Olympic Academy in 2008, moving with the rest of the squad to live in Tuscany, Italy.[5] In 2008 he came second in the senior British National Road Race Championships thus becoming the British under 23 champion. In February 2009 he became the British Madison Champion partnering Mark Christian.[6]
    Team Sky

On 9 September 2009, it was announced that Kennaugh would turn professional in 2010, riding for the new British professional Team Sky.[7] He was described by Cycling Weekly as "the most talented youngster to roll off the Isle of Man production line since his friend and star sprinter Mark Cavendish".

So you have no evidence of doping. Thanks
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • From ITV's interview, Sagan had hopes of the break staying away and coming in the top 15-20. Love this guy.
  • Rundfahrt
    MrTapir wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    A la Indurain.

Or Bassons.

Not really, Bassons wasn't winning a Grand Tour while being a quiet, intelligent, thoughtful guy.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    jerry3571 wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:

Peter Kennaugh-

Team Sky

Well done Jerry. This is the most bafflingly post I think I have ever read. Is the bit about you knowing the guy who found Nicole Cooke relevant? Does he say she was on drugs during her career? Is that what you are saying?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Froome attacks as thou he is doing some sort of spin interval on a turbo with a relatively high cadence recovery..which I wouldn't be surprised too learn is how he trains for them.

I was surprised how early it all kicked off but Froome looked good there.

Movistar was just ridiculous. they gifted that to sky. Perhaps that was the point?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    A la Indurain.

Or Bassons.

Not really, Bassons wasn't winning a Grand Tour while being a quiet, intelligent, thoughtful guy.

This is true.
  • Lichtblick wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    BACK ON TOPIC

Not nice.

The first point was meant to express my opinion that his lead looks unassailable barring exceptional circumstances.

Secondly I was under the impression there's a protocol that riders wait for victims of misfortunes, particularly the yellow jersey??
  • Rundfahrt wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    BACK ON TOPIChttp://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/subslandingpages/bikeradar/1/

Not nice.

Somehow I am guessing Contador and Valverde would want to push things if he did have an issue. Just an opinion based on what I have seen. Uh-oh! :shock:

Would certainly liven things up if they did, and in the interests of entertainment I would have to approve whilst feeling rather sorry for Froome.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793

So you have no evidence of doping. Thanks

we got a lad going into the BC system who has a ongoing relationship to the club and another into a UCI continental squad and there isn't a whiff of anything.. the opposite. its squeaky clean. nothing
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    As a completely neutral comment, just spoke with my wife trying to work out what's going on, she simply said 'no one believes cyclists whether they're good or bad and they brought that upon themselves'. And maybe she's right, damned if you do badly and damned if you do well.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Froome had a few bottles of Kia Ora in his Musette today Uuum bongo uum bongo they drink it in the congo. Great ride by the African today following on from the Belgian's tour win last year 8)