TDF 2013 Stage 15 - Ventoux *Spoilers*

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Somewhat nervous question to you'all coming from mere me with only 1,000 posts or so:

Why don't you* just ignore the rubbish provoking posts and concentrate on the race in hand?

*those who don't

Way too sensible Licthblick, way too sensible.

42831127_d7c19faf32_o.gif
    Correlation is not causation.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    This post was made by Lichtblick who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post. :wink:
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    mike6 wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    Everyone's favourite, Panache!
    Was the full sentence "Chris, would you agree that your riding style is the polar opposite of 'panache'?"
    Winning on the Ventoux, in Yellow, sound pretty good to me.
    Yeah, but surely a poor second to the approval of random bloke on a forum.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Alan A wrote:
    Well.... *short essay*

I think you are probably always going to get the odd person who is so much better than everyone else in sports, pro sportspeople are basically freaks of nature. Look at Marianne Vos, utter dominance. Mercx was like it too. In other sports... Ronaldinho perhaps, Messi, Schumacher etc. Others can probably think of more examples of total dominance.

My overriding thought today was that I was a bit bored by the dominance of Froome, I would have like Quintana and Nieve to stay away and Nieve to take the win and Quintana the time, then Quintana to take the win, and then Froome rides off. Git. Oh well. I cant begrudge him that I suppose, for all the complaining, the Maillot Jaune, the head of the heads of state, actually winning stages is good to see.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    MrTapir wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    Well.... *short essay*

I think you are probably always going to get the odd person who is so much better than everyone else in sports, pro sportspeople are basically freaks of nature. Look at Marianne Vos, utter dominance. Mercx was like it too. In other sports... Ronaldinho perhaps, Messi, Schumacher etc. Others can probably think of more examples of total dominance.

My overriding thought today was that I was a bit bored by the dominance of Froome, I would have like Quintana and Nieve to stay away and Nieve to take the win and Quintana the time, then Quintana to take the win, and then Froome rides off. Git. Oh well. I cant begrudge him that I suppose, for all the complaining, the Maillot Jaune, the head of the heads of state, actually winning stages is good to see.

I'm quite happy to see the leader attacking rather than playing it safe though, definitely been more exciting than last year, which, face it was only exciting if you were British!
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    poppit wrote:
    I hope I'm not alone in wanting to read and participate in a thread about a stage rather than one that gets dominated by a few people who want to talk about something else. I'm not a 'fan' of any particular team but being British I do like to see a British team and British riders do well after years of watching non British riders win everything on the road. ........

Didn't you watch last year's Tour? Or last year's Olympics?

Me, also British, have no partisanship over which nationality wins. My favourite riders are Spanish, French, Slovakian, Columbian and Norwegian for various different reasons. Also Swiss and German and Dutch, come to think of it.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551

You want sky doping chat? There's a thread for that. It's not this one.

Since some people must not have seen this post by an admin.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    It's interesting to note two things in this thread:

1) How people immediately go to personal attacks and insults in their first response to any person who even discusses anything possibly negative about Sky or Froome. Imagine the response if the doubters acted the same way.

2) How people like adr82 get all worked up about doping talk when it is against sky/froome, but say nothing when it is defending them.
    That's some very creative "interpretation" of what happened in this thread. Nothing more than I'd expect from you though. All I was after (and it was hardly just me) was a stage discussion thread without the usual tedious sh*t-stirring about Sky doping that you and others are so very willing to provide. There is a 20+ page thread in this very forum on that exact topic where you can ramble on to your heart's content, so please take advantage of it.

Thanks for admitting it isn't about doping talk in general but about your precious Sky being soiled.

Shhh now, off to the doping thread, don't spoil this great stage with your ill thought out rhetoric of hate for sky...

So the race passes the memorial of Tommy Simpson and we are not allowed to talk about a British Rider in Yellow winning the Ventoux stage and Doping. Seems as though the effect of Tommy Simpson has now been lost. I remember when the UK based riders wouldn't go anywhere near the Continent as it was a dirty place to do business. With the help of Millar, Roche, Kelly, Boadman, Miller, Yates et al that British Cycling doesn't mind getting it's nose stuck in the trough again.
    Glad to see nice guy Froomey doing the business but we are back the days before 13th July 1967.

1296034082496-so6i95zz1bos-280-75.jpg
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • above_the_cows
    jerry3571 wrote:
    So the race passes the memorial of Tommy Simpson and we are not allowed to talk about a British Rider in Yellow winning the Ventoux stage and Doping.

No, we are asking that you take it to the doping thread.
  • Lichtblick
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Somewhat nervous question to you'all coming from mere me with only 1,000 posts or so:

Why don't you* just ignore the rubbish provoking posts and concentrate on the race in hand?

*those who don't

Just riled me up to be honest (Which I'm sure Rund-fart had intended) I was really excited about the stage then you get some internet troll throwing poo about, really puts a downer on everything.

Didn't rile me up a bit. I just scrolled to the next on-topic post about the race.
  • above_the_cows
    And in more important matters the King of Sartorial Cycling Elegance that is Brian Holm has just decreed thus:

Brian Holm ‏@brianholm1962 1m

Gentlemen - Please no more Polka Dot bib-shorts in cycling. Make a rider look like Crusty the Clown.
  • Paul 8v
    edited July 2013
    jerry3571 wrote:
    So the race passes t13th July 1967.

I think there's a difference between remembering Tommy Simpson and banging on about Sky
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I think some of you need to wake up. There seems to be an air of 'Don't question what you see'. That strikes me as incredibly dangerous. I don't want to revert to the Armstrong days - if something seems wrong then we should say.

Froome's performance just wasn't believeable today. I can't prove anything but I can't accept that what I saw was natural.
  • above_the_cows
    I think some of you need to wake up. There seems to be an air of 'Don't question what you see'. That strikes me as incredibly dangerous. I don't want to revert to the Armstrong days - if something seems wrong then we should say.

Froome's performance just wasn't believeable today. I can't prove anything but I can't accept that what I saw was natural.

You can do all of this. In the doping thread.
  • Paul 8v
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

*those who don't

Just riled me up to be honest (Which I'm sure Rund-fart had intended) I was really excited about the stage then you get some internet troll throwing poo about, really puts a downer on everything.

Didn't rile me up a bit. I just scrolled to the next on-topic post about the race.

I'm easily wound up by people like him that just go on forums to wind people up, there's just no need for it. You're right though, next time I'll just ignore him.

And with regards to the other off topic stuff, I actually quite enjoy the cow/cheese/geology facts, nice to learn something new :D
  • Lichtblick
    jerry3571 wrote:

So the race ......................13th July 1967.

This post by jerry3571 is Libellous. Not quoted in full because that would be repeating the libel.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002

This. A million times this. I don't understand why this concept is difficult for some of you. Nobody is trying to sweep this under the carpet. There's a 22 page thread about nothing else.
  • Rundfahrt
    jerry3571 wrote:
    So the race passes the memorial of Tommy Simpson and we are not allowed to talk about a British Rider in Yellow winning the Ventoux stage and Doping.

No, we are asking that you take it to the doping thread.

Take a look through the thread and see what people are posting the most off topic posts and posts about doping. I will give you a hint...it is those that defend Sky and those who don't want to hear doping talk.
  • Paul 8v
    And in more important matters the King of Sartorial Cycling Elegance that is Brian Holm has just decreed thus:

Brian Holm ‏@brianholm1962 1m

Gentlemen - Please no more Polka Dot bib-shorts in cycling. Make a rider look like Crusty the Clown.

Amen to that, in my opinion (Which I know counts for nothing) all yellow/Polka dot etc kits should be left till the last day of the tour, an all Polka dot getup after the first three days is just too desperate!
  • Rundfahrt
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

*those who don't

I'm easily wound up by people like him that just go on forums to wind people up, there's just no need for it. You're right though, next time I'll just ignore him.

And with regards to the other off topic stuff, I actually quite enjoy the cow/cheese/geology facts, nice to learn something new :D

Perhaps you should not go looking for stuff to get riled up about. Until people like you started talking shit to me after the stage most of my posts were about the stage and/or about things being discussed about it.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

It's relevant here so it gets posted here. I won't be told where to post.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

*those who don't

He's on "ze leest" now, Thought he might have improved after 3 years but no

If he ever does post any actual real evidence can someone let me know please? By the way "that's what people said about USPS" does not count, nor does "you all think I'm wrong so therefore I must be right"

Much obliged!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lichtblick
    BACK ON TOPIC

So, how is anyone else (no matter whom) going to make nearly 5 minutes on Froome in the final week?

Is there any record of this before? (pointless question really: this is the new era and all that)

Froome getting sick or having a really badly timed mechanical or crash, is that the only "hope" if a person wants someone else to win or better - wants a proper nail-biting fight for the GC?
  • Paul 8v
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

*those who don't

Perhaps you should not go looking for stuff to get riled up about. Until people like you started talking shoot to me after the stage most of my posts were about the stage and/or about things being discussed about it.

I didn't go looking, I was enjoying a thread about the race then you started making baseless accusations again...
  • ddraver
    Andy Schleck ‏@andy_schleck 2
    ok that was not good but its not the end of the world and not the end of the Tour

Hmmm, well it sounds like his head troubles might be over at least, back to the Relentless Schleck Positivity of the 2000's
    - @ddraver
  • MrTapir
    edited July 2013

Thats fine, personally I have no idea whether it is or not so it would be a bit silly of me to say either way. Iain asks whether anyone actually knows what 'clean' cycling looks like: Rolland on Alpe d'Huez two years ago? Froome (who got an armchair ride to a few ks to the top) finishes a minute point five up on Nieve (who attacked with 10-15 ks to go), does that sound believable?

My view is yes it is, I think Contador is quite noticeably bad. He couldnt even hold Nieve's wheel to the finish.
  • Rundfahrt
    Lichtblick, the Tour was over (barring bad luck) on Ax 3 Domaine. Froome has shown that he is the best climber, one of the best TT guys and can ride the flats in any condition.

Paul 8v, I don't make baseless accusations, I post my opinions based on what I see. Not once have I said I "know" Froome is doping. Unfortunately many people here can't handle someone having suspicion about sky...despite what ddraver says it is exactly the same as was happening in the USPS days.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think, especially today, we have just had a UK based rider pass the Simpson Memorial, in Yellow and win one of the hardest stages; this is an "exceptional" day.

By the way, I didn't say that Froomey doped as he has passed all the tests but as Hamilton says in his book that passing a dope test is only an intelligence test.

Today is huge on how UK cycling looks at itself in 2013. If you work at the grass roots, like I do, then you know that teenagers who are progressing in Cycling must look at the sport in the face and not only the glory of today. Juniors are picked up by BC and fast tracked to go on to greater things and if it's a future of doping then we have to look at what we are doing.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • ddraver
    Lichtblick wrote:
    BACK ON TOPIC

So, how is anyone else (no matter whom) going to make nearly 5 minutes on Froome in the final week?

Is there any record of this before? (pointless question really: this is the new era and all that)

Froome getting sick or having a really badly timed mechanical or crash, is that the only "hope" if a person wants someone else to win or better - wants a proper nail-biting fight for the GC?

Don't think they are I'm afraid. Would have to be an exceptional long range attack and they will too easy to shut down really (IMO). If you think there's one more TT to come too yet!

If Froome stays on till Paris he ll win and will have won in some style, but there are a few dodgy places to deal with first...
    - @ddraver
  • MrTapir
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Lichtblick, the Tour was over (barring bad luck) on Ax 3 Domaine. Froome has shown that he is the best climber, one of the best TT guys and can ride the flats in any condition.

Paul 8v, I don't make baseless accusations, I post my opinions based on what I see. Not once have I said I "know" Froome is doping. Unfortunately many people here can't handle someone having suspicion about sky...despite what ddraver says it is exactly the same as was happening in the USPS days.

The tour is never over until the fat lady - in this case Lesley Garrett - sings.