Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I was actually listening and I thought he meant Paris.... :oops:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Collective fail people! How could we forget PANACHE?
    The truth was so much better than our musings!
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    ddraver wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    Everyone's favourite, Panache!

Was the full sentence "Chris, would you agree that your riding style is the polar opposite of 'panache'?"

Were nt you watching ;):p

er, yes, er of course.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ddraver wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Was the full sentence "Chris, would you agree that your riding style is the polar opposite of 'panache'?"

Were nt you watching ;):p

When the question is aesthetic rather than athletic, Froomey divides opinion.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    To be honest who cares about the riding style if it gets the job done.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    It's interesting to note two things in this thread:

1) How people immediately go to personal attacks and insults in their first response to any person who even discusses anything possibly negative about Sky or Froome. Imagine the response if the doubters acted the same way.

2) How people like adr82 get all worked up about doping talk when it is against sky/froome, but say nothing when it is defending them.
    That's some very creative "interpretation" of what happened in this thread. Nothing more than I'd expect from you though. All I was after (and it was hardly just me) was a stage discussion thread without the usual tedious sh*t-stirring about Sky doping that you and others are so very willing to provide. There is a 20+ page thread in this very forum on that exact topic where you can ramble on to your heart's content, so please take advantage of it.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    edited July 2013
    adr82 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

1) How people immediately go to personal attacks and insults in their first response to any person who even discusses anything possibly negative about Sky or Froome. Imagine the response if the doubters acted the same way.

2) How people like adr82 get all worked up about doping talk when it is against sky/froome, but say nothing when it is defending them.
    That's some very creative "interpretation" of what happened in this thread. Nothing more than I'd expect from you though. All I was after (and it was hardly just me) was a stage discussion thread without the usual tedious sh*t-stirring about Sky doping that you and others are so very willing to provide. There is a 20+ page thread in this very forum on that exact topic where you can ramble on to your heart's content, so please take advantage of it.

Thanks for admitting it isn't about doping talk in general but about your precious Sky being soiled.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I thought Froome was Panachetastic today, should help stop people saying they are boring, I think this has been a great tour so far.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I really enjoy watching the Tour and then I come on this forum and it ruins it.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,582
    Well. Speaking of P works I thought today's stage was PANTS.

Yes at the start of the day there was the excitement of Europcar hammering things at the front.

Yes we had a chuckle at Chavanel toying with Sagan at the sprint point.

Yes we had Sagan pulling wheelies.

Yes we had Bakelants rapidly becoming everyone's favourite contendor as the the successor to Lars Bak.

Yes we had Euskatel finally attempting to do something to win a stage.

Yes we had Movistar putting a dig in driving the peleton to the base of the climb.

Yes we had awesome rides by Kennaugh & Porte.

Yes we had Quintana put in a lovely attack.

Yes we had Froome sprint away from Bertie whilst still seated and spinning at 120rpm.

Yes we had Froome continue past Quintana.

Yes teh pair worked together for what we all thought would be a gift to Quintana but...

Then Froome just spun away again for the win.

Today was everything that we had hoped for. It was a race. It was a classic. It was one of those stages that will be brought up on highlights year after year.

But, an hour after it and I feel the same way I do after a Scotland defeat at Murrayfield against the Italians. Something just wasn't right about it. I saw it with my own eyes. I marvelled at what I saw. I'm flabbergasted at how it was done.

I'm not a Sky fan boy. I'm not an anti Sky boy. I'm NOT accusing anyone of doping. But Frenchie's point about the gap between 1st & 2nd being the same as between 2nd & 10th is fascinating.

Talk all you want about marginal gains, more professional testing etc... but no-one should be that much faster than everyone else. Should they?
  • Paul 8v
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Thanks for admitting it isn't about doping talk in general but about your precious Sky being soiled.

Shhh now, off to the doping thread, don't spoil this great stage with your ill thought out rhetoric of hate for sky...
  • Rundfahrt
    nweststeyn wrote:

I am sure you can try other forums that never "ruin it" like cyclingnews or roadbikereview or bike forums. They never talk doping or soil the good name of Sky!
  • Paul 8v
    nweststeyn wrote:
    It was OK until that guy started chirping up...
  • Rundfahrt
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Shhh now, off to the doping thread, don't spoil this great stage with your ill thought out rhetoric of hate for sky...

Just more proof that what I have said is 100% true. Thanks.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Rundfahrt wrote:

It's not the who, the what or the why, it's the where and the how often.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    After 2 bans I though Rundy might be a bit better this year, he was even talking about the racing at one point. Appears I was wrong

Shame :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Paul 8v
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Just more proof that what I have said is 100% true. Thanks.

Not really pal, there is a doping thread where you tin foil hat loonies can discuss your pseudoscience as much as you want. Don't wreck the stage thread with it for everyone else.

I'm sure everyone is sick of your endless drivel about sky, even those who don't even like them. You've been told to take it to the doping thread but still your going on about it, well done for pi$$ing everyone off after a great stage.
  • Rundfahrt
    ddraver wrote:
    After 2 bans I though Rundy might be a bit better this year, he was even talking about the racing at one point. Appears I was wrong

Shame :(

Sorry, I was only banned once, though you have tried on multiple occasions. I talk about the racing, but respond to posts directed to me. I find it amusing that you go after me instead of the people who keep posting off topic that I respond to and the ones I have not responded to....well not really, based on your history here.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

It is about doping talk though, everyone knows that some people think that Sky are rampantly doping to win. It doesnt need to be repeated on the spoiler thread - especially now there is a specific thread for dopechat - with various insinuations every time there's an attack by Froome or something. It gets extremely boring on the stage thread, not only for Sky fans, but for neutrals like me, who would like to concentrate on the racing, geology and cheese.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2013
    242km race. First two hours were 50km/h average. Rolland and Burgh got within 15secs of the guys in front but they saw that and so accelerated away from them - its why Europcar put the hammer down and the speed was higher than normal. 42km/h average for the stage. Finished well ahead of schedule.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    MrTapir wrote:

Winning on the Ventoux, in Yellow, sound pretty good to me.
  • poppit
    edited July 2013
    I hope I'm not alone in wanting to read and participate in a thread about a stage rather than one that gets dominated by a few people who want to talk about something else. I'm not a 'fan' of any particular team but being British I do like to see a British team and British riders do well after years of watching non British riders win everything on the road. Can the minority who seem intent on spoiling the majority's enjoyment please take their comments elsewhere. Thank you.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Alan A wrote:
    Well. Speaking of P works I thought today's stage was PANTS.

Yes at the start of the day there was the excitement of Europcar hammering things at the front.

Yes we had a chuckle at Chavanel toying with Sagan at the sprint point.

Yes we had Sagan pulling wheelies.

Yes we had Bakelants rapidly becoming everyone's favourite contendor as the the successor to Lars Bak.

Yes we had Euskatel finally attempting to do something to win a stage.

Yes we had Movistar putting a dig in driving the peloton to the base of the climb.

Yes we had awesome rides by Kennaugh & Porte.

Yes we had Quintana put in a lovely attack.

Yes we had Froome sprint away from Bertie whilst still seated and spinning at 120rpm.

Yes we had Froome continue past Quintana.

Yes teh pair worked together for what we all thought would be a gift to Quintana but...

Then Froome just spun away again for the win.

Today was everything that we had hoped for. It was a race. It was a classic. It was one of those stages that will be brought up on highlights year after year.

But, an hour after it and I feel the same way I do after a Scotland defeat at Murrayfield against the Italians. Something just wasn't right about it. I saw it with my own eyes. I marvelled at what I saw. I'm flabbergasted at how it was done.

I'm not a Sky fan boy. I'm not an anti Sky boy. I'm NOT accusing anyone of doping. But Frenchie's point about the gap between 1st & 2nd being the same as between 2nd & 10th is fascinating.

Talk all you want about marginal gains, more professional testing etc... but no-one should be that much faster than everyone else. Should they?

Don't think this stage should be a red flag or get you too down. Movistar gave Sky an armchair ride to the climb which was likely to favour their approach.

Also, half of Froome's advantage to the rest of the GC contenders is from the TT.
  • Rundfahrt
    mike6 wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Winning on the Ventoux, in Yellow, sound pretty good to me.
    Might be good but watching Froome ride is just awful. The guy looks like a daddy long leg spider in a fight with a bicycle.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Froome's performance was ridiculous, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Contador was a massive disappointment today, but I suspect the playing fields were very different for various reasons.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Somewhat nervous question to you'all coming from mere me with only 1,000 posts or so:

Why don't you* just ignore the rubbish provoking posts and concentrate on the race in hand?

*those who don't
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    This is this thread, right now:

gato_rifle-asalto.jpg

42831127_d7c19faf32_o.gif
    Correlation is not causation.
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    I used to really enjoy this forum, it was until recently a haven of sense, good humour, banter and not infrequently some pretty good insights into a sport I've followed for 40 years. Perhaps more importantly it was a million miles away from the doping heavy nonsense that is CN.

Now thanks to the likes of Rundfahrt and his ilk this simple enjoyment has been ruined oh well at least it'll give me more time to ride my bike.

PS I'm not a) a Sky fanboy or b) blind to the possibility that doping was and quite possibly still is part of the pro peleton. On the other hand I find it sad that so much time effort and vitriol is spent in such negativity.
  • poppit
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Somewhat nervous question to you'all coming from mere me with only 1,000 posts or so:

Why don't you* just ignore the rubbish provoking posts and concentrate on the race in hand?

*those who don't
    Actually that could be the answer, ignore them and they might go away.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Paul 8v
    Lichtblick wrote:

*those who don't

Just riled me up to be honest (Which I'm sure Rund-fart had intended) I was really excited about the stage then you get some internet troll throwing poo about, really puts a downer on everything.