TDF 2013 Stage 12 ***Spoilers*** Fougeres - Tours

Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    ThomThom wrote:
    I want pictures as well.
    Thus given, through the miracle of google:

medium_benarticle.jpg

The fun part is that when the road runs out everyone rides single-file (which affords less shelter, and makes the riding less procession-like, even though the ground's flat) or rides like this:
    echelon5.jpg?w=500&h=340

How do I get out of this one...
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Is that Cav knocking over a rider at the right hand end of the E...?
    Half man, Half bike
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:
    I appreciate this might have been somewhat unserious but there is a big difference between riding in echelons and racing in echelons. The former is a group of clubmates helping each other out and the other is people doing their best to screw others over.

The hardest thing about them is getting the "apparent wind" direction right...

^This. None of the very nice gentleman were trying to screw me over. They caught me struggling along on my own on a particularly exposed dyke and signaled for me to jump on the end. They never asked me to take a turn and I got home considerably quicker.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Lichtblick wrote:
    So why did no-one bat an eyelid?

I'm sure Sagan will make a complaint and it'll be looked at.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    35km left, OPQS pulling on the front.

Not sure why, should let the others do the pulling
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    ddraver wrote:
    I appreciate this might have been somewhat unserious but there is a big difference between riding in echelons and racing in echelons. The former is a group of clubmates helping each other out and the other is people doing their best to screw others over.

^This. None of the very nice gentleman were trying to screw me over. They caught me struggling along on my own on a particularly exposed dyke and signaled for me to jump on the end. They never asked me to take a turn and I got home considerably quicker.

I just read that in a Julian Clary voice. I shouldn't have.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • thomthom
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    What's an echelon again?

Hi Pete.

I'm not exactly sure yet. I wonder if anyone in here wants to explain it. Not sure they want, though - they seem busy with watching today's stage.
  • goonz
    ddraver wrote:

I just read that in a totally inapporiate way too! :lol:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    goonz wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Well again the cricket has been way more exciting and impressive than the cricket!!

Holy Moley DG!!

Of course! Anythings more interesting than cricket! :wink:

It's all a cunning Aussie ploy. That kid has been batting at 5 in the club league he was playing in up to last month.

Even Panesar has batted up the order for his clubs in the past.....
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Lichtblick wrote:
    So why did no-one bat an eyelid?

I'm sure Sagan will make a complaint and it'll be looked at.

Peter Sagan is not happy there and waves his fist towards Danny van Poppel of Vacansoleil there after the youngster boxed him in against the barriers in the intermediate sprint...........
    It was actually Kris Boeckmans and not Danny van Poppel who impeded Sagan there..........

source: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/cycling/l ... 70466.html
  • goonz
    Has any gif been posted of Cav being attacked by urine?
  • above_the_cows
    goonz wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Oh behave! I was wearing bibshorts, the lycra equivalent of a chastity belt. :P
  • goonz
    The Peloton starting to put the hammer down...
  • above_the_cows
    I wonder how long those poor children have been walking around in circles like that?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I wonder how long those poor children have been walking around in circles like that?

Bless them! Sweet though! :wink:
  • above_the_cows

Bless them! Sweet though! :wink:

Probably made their summer. :D
  • goonz
    goonz wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Oh behave! I was wearing bibshorts, the lycra equivalent of a chastity belt. :P

They do do a surprisingly good job of keeping it all in dont they?
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Mori just dropped a load of empty or full gels and bar wrappers. Not cool.
  • thomthom
    edited July 2013
    This is potentially the worst stage I've ever seen. Not that it wasn't expected. :)

I really wanted echelons on this one, though. Btw, can someone explain how exchelons work exactly.? (ok, I'll stop now..)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Boycott Blowers and Aggers now talking about Katy Perry.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    ddraver wrote:

Its funnier if you read it as Alan Partridge.
  • Lichtblick
    ThomThom wrote:
    This is potentially the worst stage I've ever seen. Not that it wasn't expected. :)

Same thing tomorrow and the next day.............
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    ThomThom wrote:

I really wanted echelons on this one, though. Btw, can someone explain how exchelons work exactly.? (ok, I'll stop now..)

The purpose of an echelon is to keep you watching a race that you should have switched off hours ago, just on the faintest chance that you'll get a glimpse of one.

You won't.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    hammerite wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Well again the cricket has been way more exciting and impressive than the cricket!!

Holy Moley DG!!

Of course! Anythings more interesting than cricket! :wink:

It's all a cunning Aussie ploy. That kid has been batting at 5 in the club league he was playing in up to last month.

Even Panesar has batted up the order for his clubs in the past.....

He's never made 98 from 11 in a test match though.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thomthom
    edited July 2013
    ThomThom wrote:

The purpose of an echelon is to keep you watching a race that you should have switched off hours ago, just on the faintest chance that you'll get a glimpse of one.

You won't.

Wait, wait! They might have overcome 200km already but still 16km to go.. You never know.. You never know... That 10kph headwind looks bloody violent and if it just turns a bit, well - then we'll have a right mess! A right mess I tell you..!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Steve Austin sighting at the front after his hip replacement.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Lichtblick
    Let's have some right mess, bring it on!
  • Lichtblick
    Flecha goes off on his own
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Oh My God :(

Right 12k to go - time to turn on the cycling

Cricket has turned into a horror story anyway....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    OI KIRBY & KELLY

WOULD YOU SHUT THE PUCK UP ABOUT MATT GOSS ! ! !