TDF 2013 Stage 12 ***Spoilers*** Fougeres - Tours

goonz
goonz Posts: 3,106
edited July 2013 in Pro race
After yesterdays 'will he, won't he, are they doping aren't they doping' arguments today will be another transition stage and a chance for the sprinters.

Will Cav dust the shoulders off and p!ss on all his rivals to the finish line or will he be bullied and knocked off in a Argos Shimano whirlwind?

PROFIL.png
Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
Specialized Langster SS for Ease
Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
n+1 is well and truly on track
Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875

Comments

• goonz
    Thread rules:

No arguing
    No rock formation posts
    No local history posts

:mrgreen:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    goonz wrote:
    Thread rules:

No arguing
    No rock formation posts
    No local history posts

Sorry matey - that's a BOYCOTT from me. Need a bit of heat. Needs to know the geology and I need the local history. :):):)
  • goonz
    RideOnTime wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Thread rules:

No arguing
    No rock formation posts
    No local history posts

Sorry matey - that's a BOYCOTT from me. Need a bit of heat. Needs to know the geology and I need the local history. :):):)

Oh and no cricket talk either!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    Must be time for Cav to step up - he won't be a happy bunny after the last 2 days and will want that pent up frustration and anger to be unleashed all over the finishing straight.

So expect a breakaway win then!

And a day off from Frenchie's trolling would be great after the explosion he caused yesterday and the flaming he subsequently was given in spades.
  • RideOnTime
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Must be time for Cav to step up - he won't be a happy bunny after the last 2 days and will want that pent up frustration and anger to be unleashed all over the finishing straight.

And a day off from Frenchie's trolling would be great after the explosion he caused yesterday and the flaming he subsequently was given in spades.

No sorry, need that too. Still a BOYCOTT.
  • goonz
    It was clearly a joke comment, no need for a duplicate thread.
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Two 90° bends in the final km - I might not actually watch on the assumption that there'll be carnage...

2013stage12finalkms.jpg
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Dorset Boy wrote:

I may take a knee for today, I think I was guilty of some of yesterdays worst excesses.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    So, Today we move off the Amorican Massif and into the Paris Basin. This is a much later event than the old rocks we ve been riding over in Brittany

The basin is largely unspectacular but was closely examined by one George Cuiver who established the basis of using fossils to establish sea level variations and also the occourance of mass extinction events

Rifting started during the Carboniferous resulting in marine sedimentation over palaeozoic basement. The basin is a similar feature to the English Channel and Bristol Channel basins. In the Permian/Triassic, a sand formation deposited when the whole of Northern Europe and Britain was covered in a large desert. This is the same rock that is exposed in several places in the UK such as Exeter and Dawlish. It comprises red (very red) sands deposited by sand dunes or high energy fluvial systems (think flash floods)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTo5WgiYUQAPQ3xLpqXlX4BjjdZkOW3k1YsklGVDQQMrEOaqS1KDIZrfQ

In the Triassic, the basin was flooded and became a continental shelf system. The palaeo choreline position was then controlled by Sea Level variations throughout the Mesozoic. This deposited a series of Triassic and Jurassic age carbonates which alternate between deep water shales and shallow water reefs (Bahamas/Great Barrier Reef). I won't go through these in detail as to be honest thats boring even for me! Safe to say that some of the shales are organic rich enough to provide petroleum source rocks and the coral reefs provide the reservoirs. Petroleum production from the basin is small but significant (but also mostly to the East of Paris. (apparently there was a famous incident where Vibrating trucks used for seismic exploration were deployed down the Champs Elysees)

commercial-lawyers-bahamas.jpg

During the Cretacous much of Europe was flooded by a large deep chalk sea. This is the same rock at the White Cliffs of Dover and elsewhere throughout England (South Downs, White Peak etc). Importantly for AtC - this is the rock in which all the vines grow! THe basin was then compressed and upplifted (forming the traps for the Hydrocarbons) during the Pyreneean and Alpine Orogenies

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7K-OBUlzRKyofX5ROIlgrvUDQLQZQ6mDrWFtpXXmLpRUCFf41

For those of you being miserable about learning - Have a look at this official Route map from the 2011 Tour from ASO...
    ET07.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RideOnTime
    Tours.

Nearly 140,000 residents stands on the River Loire.
    History dates from 732 and the Battle of Tours.
    Lovely Cathedral. Very imposing looks like Lichfield Cathedral.
    30 street markets.
    Lots of parks and gardens.
    Famed for Vouvray wine.

I conceed. Could you put Fougeres - Tours in the title - though.
  • RideOnTime
    BLESS YOU...
    AND YOUR FAMILY.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Just looked on BetFair, the odds are utter crap on the favourites so I'll keep my money. I suspect Cavendish will destroy everyone today.
  • RideOnTime
    goonz wrote:
    It was clearly a joke comment, no need for a duplicate thread.

All good.
    No need to cover you in wee now. :D:D
  • RideOnTime
    Just looked on BetFair, the odds are utter crap on the favourites so I'll keep my money. I suspect Cavendish will destroy everyone today.

He's wearing a swimming cap today cover his helmet.
    I suspect this will increase his aerodynamics.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    The finish looks set up for a pile up doesn't it?
    Fingers crossed they all stay upright and the OPQS train works to perfection, with Griepel and Kittel coming in 2nd & 3rd (from a fantasy team POV!)
  • goonz

Heres hoping he does. Doesn't seem right for Cav to only win 1 stage of the TdF.
  • TMR
    RideOnTime wrote:

I suspect pure unadulterated rage will see him to victory.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    RideOnTime wrote:

I suspect pure unadulterated rage will see him to victory.

I think his team needs to perform better or he'll miss out again - he can't do it by himself against the better competition this year.

Looking at the replays from yesterday, Steegmans was wwwwayyyy too early as well as coming from too far back.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,562
    If Cav wins does anyone expect any sort of protest from either Cav, the other riders or the public?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    TheBigBean wrote:
    If Cav wins does anyone expect any sort of protest from either Cav, the other riders or the public?

He'll cross the line peeing on all and sundry like he was R.Kelly.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    The finish looks set up for a pile up doesn't it?
    Fingers crossed they all stay upright and the OPQS train works to perfection, with Griepel and Kittel coming in 2nd & 3rd (from a fantasy team POV!)

Very bad planning for the end of a sprint stage
  • fleshtuxedo
    TheBigBean wrote:

What victory salute could he do? Pretend to be p1ssing as he crosses the line :lol:
  • fleshtuxedo
    TheBigBean wrote:

Faster, and better. I'll get me coat.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    UncleMonty wrote:

Very bad planning for the end of a sprint stage

It's a bike race, not an exhibition.
  • TMR
    goonz wrote:
    Heres hoping he does. Doesn't seem right for Cav to only win 1 stage of the TdF.

Savour each victory like a fine wine :mrgreen:
  • RideOnTime
    goonz wrote:

Savour each victory like a fine wine :mrgreen:

Yes and there's plenty more of that fine wine.
    In fact the supply is endless.
  • RideOnTime
    TheBigBean wrote:

I'm guessing R.Kelly the musician.
    Not Ryan Kelly who works in our local Aldi.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    If Greipel wins it'll be two wins a-piece for Greipel and Kittel with Cavendish on one stage win. That won't sit well with the Manx-man. Maybe Sagan will surprise them all?

DD.
  • goonz
    If Greipel wins it'll be two wins a-piece for Greipel and Kittel with Cavendish on one stage win. That won't sit well with the Manx-man. Maybe Sagan will surprise them all?

DD.

Sagan just wants the green jersey, dont think he seems that bothered about wins. Plus he seems to not have quite the same top end speed as the others.
  • fleshtuxedo
    goonz wrote:

DD.

Sagan just wants the green jersey, dont think he seems that bothered about wins. Plus he seems to not have quite the same top end speed as the others.

+1 was just following Cavendish yesterday, he's playing the percentages