TDF 2013 Stage 12 ***Spoilers*** Fougeres - Tours

167891012»

Comments

• Cav being honest.

@MarkCavendish: Like I said, @marcelkittel's the new big thing. Simply better than me today. Congrats! Sorry I couldn't finish @opqscyclingteam's hard work.

Cavendish doesn't try to make excuses and always shows great sportsmanship. Just proof what a great guy he is.
  • dang100
    dang100 Posts: 44
    Daz555 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    1373555623965-5s2wvtfmb89c-670-75.jpg
    Oops. Cav beaten with the push over the line from Kittel?

Schoolboy error Mr Cavendish.

So that's twice Cav's been pissed on in as many days
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Why the Cav hate?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Why the Cav hate?

Guess he just rubs some people up the wrong way. I like him. I like Kittel too though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Competition is healthy and Cav sees it that way too - we're in for some great sprints over the next few years
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Why the Cav hate?

Some of us just try to be cool like the pro's and hate him. :P

Although I sense he isn't as disliked as he used to be by his peers.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I like Kittel too though.
    Not after what he did to Apollo Creed. Never.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    RichN95 wrote:
    I like Kittel too though.
    Not after what he did to Apollo Creed. Never.

:lol:
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    iainf72 wrote:
    Why the Cav hate?

Who among his peers said they did not like Cavendish?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    mike6 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Why the Cav hate?

Who among his peers said they did not like Cavendish?

Boonen. In more words.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You guys are getting rubbish at the spoiler threads.

I take 3 months in the US. Jeez.

Tempted to make spoiler threads dope chat free if this goes on.

Comment and chat about the race please.

Please refrain from baiting with dope innuendo. It's boring enough on the dope threads, let alone here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Please. Please, please, please.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583

Please. Please, please, please.

Hear here
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Cav was good sport in the post interviews today. No moaning. Just accepted he was beaten by a faster man. Good.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    That post is libellous.

Someone with 3,637 posts should know what is libel.

Based on what the powers that be here have to say, libel is decided by them and not based on the actual definition.

You are completely wrong.
    Libel is decided by law.
    A poster here has stated that (a certain professional rider) is a drug taker. I cannot repeat exactly what he said nor quote from it, because that would be repeating the libel.

The law on libel is that it us up to the alleger to PROVE that the person is taking drugs, and it is NOT for the rider to prove that he is not.

If I were that professional rider, I would employ people to scan public messageboards to sue their asses for posts like that one (and others too numerous to mention). This is all warned against in a stickied thread at the top of this board. Here: viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12611535

It does not matter what you think, or what I think, or what Rick thinks: the law on libel is the law, and has been well-tested in the courts. Why else do you think that that kind of flippancy is not repeated in the press?
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    ThomThom wrote:
    Cav was good sport in the post interviews today. No moaning. Just accepted he was beaten by a faster man. Good.

I think if Renshaw does join him next year, he will be back to his consistent best. I don't think he really has confidence in Steegmans yet? That was a perfect leadout and I immediately thought "ok, there's win number 2" but after a few seconds, and he still hadn't crossed the line, i thought he had jumped way too early. And with him leaving Gert a few days ago to try to latch on to another train....
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    RichN95 wrote:
    I also make that two wins for Kittel with no victory celebration. Granted both were tight finishes but he doesn't seem to feel the need to make a big song-and-dance about these victories.
    Do a google image search for him. He celebrates just the same as everyone else.

In general, yes, he celebrates just like everyone else but in his last two sprint wins on this Tour I have seen no footage of him throwing his arms in the air in celebration after crossing the line and I've seen no photos from Stage 10 or Stage 12 that show a two-handed or one-handed celebration of either victory. I did a search for images of him celebrating either victory after the finish line but I can't find any. That's not to say he didn't throw his hands in the air but I haven't seen any pictures of it. In any case, it's of little consequence, merely an observation.

Some riders will risk a crash to celebrate a win in a sprint but Kittel seems to have taken the last two wins in his stride. Gianni Bugno soloed to a stage win in the Vuelta many years ago and rolled over the line with no celebration at all. It's just not a regular occurance that races are won with no celebration. We'll see how Kittel gets on with his next stage win!

DD.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

I think if Renshaw does join him next year, he will be back to his consistent best. I don't think he really has confidence in Steegmans yet? That was a perfect leadout and I immediately thought "ok, there's win number 2" but after a few seconds, and he still hadn't crossed the line, i thought he had jumped way too early. And with him leaving Gert a few days ago to try to latch on to another train....

Cav has won several of these 'long' sprints before. The leadout was just fine.

He does need someone added to that train, though. It doesn't really look strong at all. We can only guess how much more energy he uses in the lack of a proper train, staying in front, on wheel etc..

That said, he'd better get used to some more competition than he has been in the previous years. Some heavy guys entering the stage now.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Now, do people consider it a coincidence that the sprinter who saves himself during the race and does not contest the intermediate sprints, turns out to be the fastest at the finish?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    FJS wrote:
    Now, do people consider it a coincidence that the sprinter who saves himself during the race and does not contest the intermediate sprints, turns out to be the fastest at the finish?

Excellent point. Why did Cav bother with the intermediate sprint yesterday? Sagan is not going to let that jersey go. Wasted effort by Cav at this stage of the race?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    FJS wrote:

Excellent point. Why did Cav bother with the intermediate sprint yesterday? Sagan is not going to let that jersey go. Wasted effort by Cav at this stage of the race?
    Get a solid 2nd place then have someone put Sagan into a barrier at 70kmh, innit? ;-)
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    FJS wrote:

I did think that too but at the time just thought he was going for a total maximum of points for the stage and going for the stage win too. Probably trying to prove a point from the day before...didnt quite happen for him though.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Looking at the profiles for the final week I'll be seriously impressed if Greipel, Kittel and Cavendish all make it to Paris...it's going to be a brutal week for them.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Looking at the profiles for the final week I'll be seriously impressed if Greipel, Kittel and Cavendish all make it to Paris...it's going to be a brutal week for them.

I think they will, albeit very slowly...

Time to find out what Schleck, Bertie and co have got up their sleeves to dethrone Froome.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    goonz wrote:

I think they will, albeit very slowly...

Time to find out what Schleck, Bertie and co have got up their sleeves to dethrone Froome.

I will be gobsmacked if Kittel makes it. Griepel and Cav have years of experience at getting through the rough stuff and making it to Paris. Kittel is the worst climber out of the three of them by some distance. And the heat is going to have a big effect. And he is a huge unit.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    edited July 2013
    I've been away for a couple of days, so haven't seen any of this stage (other than the finish-line photo). What happened to Griepel, he doesn't seem to be present in the photos I've seen of the sprint finish.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Held up in a crash Graeme, team took a pounding but not Andre...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I thought I heard something about Henderson crashing. Thanks for the info - have some ITV highlights shows to catch up with this evening!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    CORVOS_00021653-035.jpg

CORVOS_00021653-066.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest