TDF 2013 Stage 12 ***Spoilers*** Fougeres - Tours

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    ThomThom wrote:
    Hi.

Was wondering if someone could tell me what echelons are about?

Echelons are a mythical beast, invented to offer the potential of some excitement on flat stages. Mention of echelons is made as soon as the gentlest breeze begins to blow, sending tremors of excitement down the spines of crypto-cycologists.

Despite the many word of mouth stories of their existence, genuine documentary evidence of the monster-of-the-coast is scarce indeed. Many of the photographs and videos that purport to show this paranormal phenomenon have been clearly debunked as fakes, staged by over-enthusiatic Dutch and Belgian amateurs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    dang100 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Hi.

I know! I know! I know this one!

I would, but I'm all echeloned out.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Echelons are a mythical beast, invented to offer the potential of some excitement on flat stages. Mention of echelons is made as soon as the gentlest breeze begins to blow, sending tremors of excitement down the spines of crypto-cycologists.

Despite the many word of mouth stories of their existence, genuine documentary evidence of the monster-of-the-coast is scarce indeed. Many of the photographs and videos that purport to show this paranormal phenomenon have been clearly debunked as fakes, staged by over-enthusiatic Dutch and Belgian amateurs.
    I like this definition :D
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ThomThom wrote:
    Hi.

All fine, except in cycling it's called Echolon.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited July 2013
    ThomThom wrote:
    Hi.

Tosh! I joined an impromptu echelon party on the Ringvaart between Haarlem and Amsterdam yesterday evening. OK we were all amateurs and apart from me everyone seemed to be Dutch, but it happened. It really happened and it was EPIC. . :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I'm in shock! Cav won an Intermediate! :shock:
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    edited July 2013
    Did Cav win the intermediate?

^^^^ Edit: Answers on a postcard above!! :D
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Sagan just got crushed up against the barrier on intermediary sprint. Blocked Out they called it.
    Is that legal?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    goonz wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Emma Pooley wants a female TdF running alongside the mens.
    "alongside" as in what? Same course earlier in the day?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23271761
    For anyone who can't be bothered to read that, it is basically what she wants, but:
    " Cycling's governing body, the Union Cycliste Internationale, currently has rules in place that limit the distance woman can ride in a single stage to much less than men.

It means a female Tour alongside the current event would not be possible unless they started or finished stages in different places. "
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Well again the cricket has been way more exciting and impressive than the cricket!!

Holy Moley DG!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows

You mean there's some racing going on? I'm listening about Weegate on the Humans Invent podcast while filling in dissertation grade sheets.

As for Cav, he must be HUNGRY! :twisted:
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Looked like a slightly odd 3/4 paced sprint to me.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    ddraver wrote:
    Well again the cricket has been way more exciting and impressive than the cricket!!

Holy Moley DG!!

Never wanted an Aussie to get a ton before. What a pity.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Outsider art by Loan
    edited July 2013
    ThomThom wrote:
    I want pictures as well.
    Thus given, through the miracle of google:

medium_benarticle.jpg

The fun part is that when the road runs out everyone rides single-file (which affords less shelter, and makes the riding less procession-like, even though the ground's flat) or rides like this:
    echelon5.jpg?w=500&h=340
    1968, human content on bitumen.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ThomThom wrote:
    Hi.

Tosh! I joined an impromptu echelon party on the Ringvaart between Haarlem and Amsterdam yesterday evening. OK we were all amateurs and apart from me everyone seemed to be Dutch, but it happened. It really happened and it was EPIC. . :D

Oh everyone's had a go at pretending they're in an echelon. It's like small children playing cowboys and indians. It doesn't mean the guns are real or the gap between the sofa and the coffee table really IS the Grand Canyon.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Sagan just got crushed up against the barrier on intermediary sprint. Blocked Out they called it.
    Is that legal?

No! Throw him off the race, pelt him with p1ss and withdraw all invitations to subsequent minor events!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ThomThom wrote:
    I want pictures as well.
    Thus given, through the miracle of google:

medium_benarticle.jpg

The fun part is that when the road runs out everyone rides single-file (which affords less shelter, and makes the riding less procession-like, even though the ground's flat) or rides like this:
    echelon5.jpg?w=500&h=340

Pah!

yeti_footprint.jpg
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Is that legal?

When Cav did that to Hushovd in the 2009 TdF he was spanked severely, so I'd say no.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    adr82 wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Emma Pooley wants a female TdF running alongside the mens.
    "alongside" as in what? Same course earlier in the day?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23271761
    For anyone who can't be bothered to read that, it is basically what she wants, but:
    " Cycling's governing body, the Union Cycliste Internationale, currently has rules in place that limit the distance woman can ride in a single stage to much less than men.

It means a female Tour alongside the current event would not be possible unless they started or finished stages in different places. "

this doesn't sound too difficult. Stages start at the same time following the same course, just the ladies start 100km up the road. Two opportunities for ASO to sell places on a publicity caravan preceeding both races. Makes a lot of sense really, apart from the logistics of finding places to stay for all the riders, team support and hangers on.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    ddraver wrote:

Holy Moley DG!!

Of course! Anythings more interesting than cricket! :wink:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I'm of the opinion that if 99% of amateur riders ever found themselves in an echelon there'd be a whole load of crashes and about 20 pelotons of 5 riders or less within 5 minutes. The sheer nastiness of the fighting for position and difficulty in maintaining them would see to that.

I include myself in this.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695

Apart from the 4 guys up the road ...
  • above_the_cows
    ThomThom wrote:
    Hi.

Oh everyone's had a go at pretending they're in an echelon. It's like small children playing cowboys and indians. It doesn't mean the guns are real or the gap between the sofa and the coffee table really IS the Grand Canyon.

But, but, but I was the only woman playing with a load of big Dutch beasts of men. Don't ruin my party. :cry::cry::cry:
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Make them play two sets of tennis first then head out after the men.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    goonz wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Holy Moley DG!!

Of course! Anythings more interesting than cricket! :wink:

It's all a cunning Aussie ploy. That kid has been batting at 5 in the club league he was playing in up to last month.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    ThomThom wrote:
    Hi.

But, but, but I was the only woman playing with a load of big Dutch beasts of men. Don't ruin my party. :cry::cry::cry:

Never mind ATC, there is always someone who got out of bed the wrong side and wants to put us down.
  • above_the_cows
    mike6 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Hi.

Never mind ATC, there is always someone who got out of bed the wrong side and wants to put us down.

To be fair I think No tA Doctor was being silly.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

To be fair I think No tA Doctor was being silly.

I'm never silly.

Trust me, I'm Not a Doctor.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Is that legal?

When Cav did that to Hushovd in the 2009 TdF he was spanked severely, so I'd say no.

So why did no-one bat an eyelid?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I appreciate this might have been somewhat unserious but there is a big difference between riding in echelons and racing in echelons. The former is a group of clubmates helping each other out and the other is people doing their best to screw others over.

The hardest thing about them is getting the "apparent wind" direction right...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver