TDF 2013 Stage 12 ***Spoilers*** Fougeres - Tours

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    hammerite wrote:
    There's not a lot to talk about for the race today - at least until the race gets going and there's an incident. Who will win the sprint? How long will the break be allowed to gain? Will a team attempt to split the field (if anyone goes for it I think it will be Belkin)? That's about it isn't it?

Will Roland be head to road in spots again...

Does he have polka dotted sunnies too?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Meanwhile....114/7 :D
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    ATC's Guide to the Loire Terroir

So as our resident geologist has informed us this is chalk country and this means a different terroir to that found further south. We are now in the land of the well known wines of Muscadet, Sancerre, Chenin Blanc and Pouilly-Fumé (interestingly vineyards producing these varieties are also springing up in the chalk regions of southern England but I digress).

[OT] Can never remember, is it Pouilly-Fumé or Pouilly-Fuisse that Frasier drinks? [/OT]

Strava is not Zen.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    ThomThom wrote:
    But I think Menchov is really the only GC contender to be stupid enough to be caught in echelons.

*Cough* Contador *Cough*

He's got a team this year.
  • fleshtuxedo
    calvjones wrote:

So as our resident geologist has informed us this is chalk country and this means a different terroir to that found further south. We are now in the land of the well known wines of Muscadet, Sancerre, Chenin Blanc and Pouilly-Fumé (interestingly vineyards producing these varieties are also springing up in the chalk regions of southern England but I digress).

[OT] Can never remember, is it Pouilly-Fumé or Pouilly-Fuisse that Frasier drinks? [/OT]

(Puligny) Montrachet. Him ad Niles once joked that I was "Monrachet time", a pun on "Miller time"
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I'd like to see Flecha win a stage. Quite a step down from SKY to Vacan-Soleil.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    What time are the fellow forumers descending on peloton in Spittalfields?

20k to go?
    Half man, Half bike
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Now out to 5 minutes.

No locals in the break today, although Anthony Delaplace does come from Valognes up in Normandy, not that far away from the start.

Now the racing has started, I will refrain from posting about the local goats cheese (apart from this one picture :lol:

640px-Sainte-maure-de-touraine_cut.jpg
  • fleshtuxedo
    Goats cheese smoking a fag?
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    As you asked, it has a piece of straw through the middle, traditionally marked with the producers reference.

Break out to 6m45 now.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Goats cheese smoking a fag?

Goat cheese popsicle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    The Tour de France has always been a showcase for French food, wine and countryside. I can't see any reason why that should happen on the stage thread as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Wasn't Valverde caught out by Sky forming echelons at the Vuelta last year? So I think he should go in the stupid pile with Menchov.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Its actually mori who's the highest placed in the breakaway - not that it matters. I reckon they'll get caught at 212k - place your bets now.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    calvjones wrote:

(Puligny) Montrachet. Him ad Niles once joked that I was "Monrachet time", a pun on "Miller time"

Puligny Montrachet is in Burgundy though (Beaune). It's a really nice little village in a nice area with good cycling again! Cycling is a good way to see the areas actually! You also begin to appreciate why the premier bottles are so massively expensive when you cycle past the one field that those grapes come from in about 30 seconds
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    hammerite wrote:
    I quite like the transport, food/drink and geological posts. Keep them up guys. It's a bit like having David Duffield on the thread.
    9261959756_a3b77a1e34_n.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    TimB34 wrote:
    640px-Sainte-maure-de-touraine_cut.jpg

[OT] OMG! That's my lunch sorted then. I'm off out for a goat's cheese, walnut and apple jam broodje. I am starving! [/OT]
    Correlation is not causation.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Any rider not in the front 20 is at risk of getting caught out in echelons. All it takes is for a couple of riders in front of you to lose the wheel and for there to be a couple of strong teams in the front group.

It's unlikely to happen though, tends to happen more often at the beginning of the season when many in the peloton aren't at 100%
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    goonz wrote:
    Will Roland be head to road in spots again...

Does he have polka dotted sunnies too?

At this point in the tour he could ride in transparent shorts to pull off the full disease-vector look.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • goonz
    Breakaway about 9 mins ahead.
  • goonz
    The breakaway just covered 30 miles in the first hr of racing! :shock:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Its actually mori who's the highest placed in the breakaway - not that it matters. I reckon they'll get caught at 212k - place your bets now.

I was just copying from Cyclingnews!
  • dang100
    dang100 Posts: 44
    Hi,
    when people say "get caught in the echelons" - what does this mean?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Given there's naff all happening in France...

Bit of wag in this Aussie Tail...

dang - an echelon is a diagonal line over the road. However only a certain number of riders can fit in that line before running out of road width. The rider behind that man can either move to the windward side of the road and start a new one or (more commonly) panics and looses the wheel of the echelon and drops back(bear in mind that this only happens when the riders are going flat out!).

Eitehr way a gap can open and anything can happen
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    dang100 wrote:
    Hi,

With a side-wind, there's only as much shelter as the road is wide. Once wheels are dropped, a strong group can open a significant gap. Being "caught" in the rear echelon can lead to large time gaps.
    echelon.jpg

Edit: Beaten to it by rock boy. Have a pic.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    ddraver wrote:
    Given there's naff all happening in France...

Bit of wag in this Aussie Tail...

dang - an echelon is a diagonal line over the road. However only a certain number of riders can fit in that line before running out of road width. The rider behind that man can either move to the windward side of the road and start a new one or (more commonly) panics and looses the wheel of the echelon and drops back(bear in mind that this only happens when the riders are going flat out!).

This Agar kid looks great with the bat. No way he's an 11
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dang100
    Thanks ddraver. Clear now. Every day's a school day!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:

Pictures always help:
    08_mjohnson_20130516_2898.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dang100
    Thanks Macaloon + Rich. Helpful.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    dang100 wrote:
    Hi,

When there is a crosswind it requires a bit more effort (drafting effects are reduced because the wind is coming from the side) and people can form a small gap by not quite keeping up with the person in front. This gap then gets hard to close because of the crosswind and the gap grows into a bigger gap until distinct groups are formed. The groups form 'echelons' to offset the effects of the cross winds. So riders get 'caught' in these echelons. If you are in the front one that is good for you, those caught in the one(s) further behind are less fortunate.

Here's a picture from the usual echelon-tastic Tour of Qatar:

95c6954c-3097-4295-aa36-9aea92c4e11f_zps0e537431.jpg

Oh poop beaten too it. Well I spent time on that, so I'm not wasting it. Have another explanation.
    Correlation is not causation.