London Ride 100

Comments

• 4:56 for me, and 126 miles in total.

Completely shagged, but with a smile on my face. What s great event.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Did anyone get held up anywhere? I didn't. A policemen did tell me there has been tacks on road at bottom of leith hill though...
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    5:59:42 official time. Going to see how long I wasted in stops now! 116 for the day. PS Sketchley, I'm over 18 stone (just) at the moment.

Good day though - was broken for most of it having gone off a "bit quick" (for me) and did the first 24 miles in 1h07. Severe leg cramps at Box and occasional twitches all the way around, however organisation was great and I enjoyed the day. Was in no-way the nodderpocalypse I half expected.

Next year I think the thing to do will be to apply in groups (either via ballot, club or charity entry) and all put the same expected time to ensure riding together. I rode pretty much alone today other than a bit of banter, and lots of whippets seemed to like to shelter in the hole I made in the wind but didn't return the favour!

Great day though, and chuffed at my time.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    What a ride, good route and VERY quick indeed!

I worked with another guy from London Phoenix and we did smash it tbh, picked up another club member who started earlier and we all worked well together. Also picked up alot of other riders, very few of whome were willing to help, but there you go.

4:06 was the end time, and tbh i'm happy with that!

Shandy H & TETM was nice to see you both 8)
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    Glad everybody had a good time. Not jealous at all. Went out for 130km on my own. Did not get bored of my own company in the slightest, or driven mad by having some Bruno Mars song stuck on loop in my head due to the last song on the radio before I left.

Annoying to see all the nodders on the telly. Why did they ask me on the ballot about my previous experience and times on other sportives if this had no relevance to how places where assigned. Maybe they really prioritised London based addresses.

Hopefully I have better luck next year. Well done everyone who finished, enjoy the commute tomorrow!
  • Rolls
    Rolls Posts: 70
    4:47 for me, which I was happy with.
    Had to take the long way home to ensure I did 200km - which worked nicely; 205km was the final distance!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Got to say that the first hour though London was my favourite time on a bike ever. It was just brilliant spanking through London and Kingston in a massive group.

When does the ballot open again? 12th?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Yep, 12th.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • 6hrs 21 for me and I had cramp the last 30 miles
    But it was a excellent day ,and will defo go in for next year
    It was funny overtaking Boris but FairPlay to him for doing it
  • y2blade
    y2blade Posts: 31
    Well done all that did this.

Watched a good bit of it on the Box today (BBC and Eurosport).
    Looked like a great run out.
  • Sketchley wrote:
    However, all you guys posting up quick times is depressing please stop :).

Did you kick it on the descents? There were a couple of beauties.
  • sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:
    However, all you guys posting up quick times is depressing please stop :).

Did you kick it on the descents? There were a couple of beauties.

I may have...... :D:D:D
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    edited August 2013
    Lefthook wrote:
    Glad everybody had a good time. Not jealous at all. Went out for 130km on my own. Did not get bored of my own company in the slightest, or driven mad by having some Bruno Mars song stuck on loop in my head due to the last song on the radio before I left.

Annoying to see all the nodders on the telly. Why did they ask me on the ballot about my previous experience and times on other sportives if this had no relevance to how places where assigned. Maybe they really prioritised London based addresses.

Hopefully I have better luck next year. Well done everyone who finished, enjoy the commute tomorrow!

Didn't see the coverage but 'the nodders' may well of been charity riders who didn't go via the ballot. Also I had London based address and didn't get by place through the ballot. There were a lot of people who had never cycled the route (or box hill even) as they didn't live in or near London. I spoke with people from Cornwall, South and North Wales, Cumbria, Scotland etc. most people were on good quality road bike, saw a few hybrids but no mountain bikes big contrast to l2b. Did see half a dozen people with snapped rear mechs tangled up in their rear wheels / frames seemed an odd thing to see multiple times.....
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    --
    Chris

• mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    mpdouglas wrote:
    The climb out of Wimbledon less so ! (amazing what difference 80 miles in the legs has on very ordinary "climbs"!).

Yeah the end got pretty weird really. Was in a group with some fast guys from groups that started after me, but also plenty of people from my wave, on the flat the pace was pushing 20-25mph, which proved my undoing as I blew up by mile 95, but on every little rise the pace dropped right back and people were really slogging up it.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    4:39:04 elapsed for me, 4:31 moving. I set PB's up Newlands and Leith but then paid the price by the time we got back to Kingston. I dropped out of the group I was in, rode solo to the Wimbledon Village water station, stopped for some much needed re-hydration and then managed to get back in with a decent group who nursed me to the finish. Getting cheered for doing 35+mph down Putney High St was a real highlight, as were the crowds in Dorking and Leatherhead. Loads of people spotted the Kingston Wheelers jersey and were shouting "Come in Kingston", which from Cobham onwards I seriously needed.

It was a well organised and run sportive and the closed roads made sure that, for me at least, there were no issues with the road being clogged by slow groups preventing others from getting past. The standard of riding was generally high too, I only saw 1 guy riding like a d1ck in the entire ride. I'll definitely be entering the ballot for next year.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Hmmm... now I've heard how good it all was I wonder if I could organise getting down there myself for next year?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Hmmm... now I've heard how good it all was I wonder if I could organise getting down there myself for next year?

Yes you can.

5:21:20 moving time, 5:59:48 elapsed. Plenty I can do with that...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Well done everyone. I'm very envious of the closed roads if nothing else.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Lefthook wrote:
    I didn't get in and I have a London address (got a place through the team entry). They wanted a mix of people, not just whippets, but said they didn't take too many nodders this time round as they wanted to see how it worked out. Have said more nodders next year, but 6,000 more places...

4.48 for me. Cramping from mile 30 :shock:
  • Yes, well done all. There are some seriously impressive times being posted here. Was there the opportunity to ride in a pace line for the whole course?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rjsterry wrote:
    Well done everyone. I'm very envious of the closed roads if nothing else.
    +1, sounds like a lot of fun, think I'll be in the ballot for next time.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    4:28 for me. Had a ball of a time. Lost a water bottle just after Chiswick and was reluctant to stop to refill but had to come Malden. Got caught in no-mans land from the top of Box Hill back to Wimbledon. The group in front was pulling away at 26-27mph and no group appeared from behind until a 4/5 man group formed around Esher. Run back along Chelsea Embankment was tactic with the pace up and down, and ended up going for a sprint from the pack 100m from the turn into the Mall. Amazing having everyone cheering, only to completely blow once turned the corner and was hit with a headwind.

Great event.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    edited August 2013
    After a 92 hour LEL and 930 miles in my legs already this week I thought I's be taking yesterday easy. Turns out I wasn't allowed to.

Beams87 and I started in the B wave and the pace was obscene from the outset with everyone pulling massive turns. My one knee and I were hitting the front regularly to keep out of trouble and we averaged 27mph to RP where the toils of the previous days began to show and I dropped off the back. Got focussed, picked up some others and still averaged 25mph to Newlands Corner. Got off my bike here and cheered for an hour, watching a load of mates and willyb cruise past and waited for gf to turn up. 'Twas her first century so figured I'd help her round the last 55miles at her pace, which I probably needed! A joy to watch her creaming guys on smart Bianchis, SWORKS and carbon bling up Wimbledon Hill too.

The cheering crowds through Kingston were great and the sprint down The Mall was icing on the cake. A great day out.
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    Yes, well done all. There are some seriously impressive times being posted here. Was there the opportunity to ride in a pace line for the whole course?

Didn't get much actual through and off going on myself (though was overtaken regularly by massive trains), but the first 30 miles on the flat was just spent in one massive group for me.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I've got to say if somebody said the quickest time would be 4:03 i'd have laughed. Still can't believe how quick it was!
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    willy b wrote:
    I've got to say if somebody said the quickest time would be 4:03 i'd have laughed. Still can't believe how quick it was!

Willy B, you came in 83rd overall! Well done mate. And there I was happy with my time! As you say, there are some very quick times in there and the course is quick. Really hope to get in next year. Nothing like riding through central London on closed roads on a quiet Sunday morning in a peloton of 100+ doing 27mph+. Also, as Wrath Rob says, the descent of Putney Hill was brilliant fun and the crowds gave you a bit of an insight into what it might be like as a pro.

Great day out. Hope they keep it beyond Boris' tenure. Could become a major classic in the road racing calendar.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    ShandyH wrote:
    willy b wrote:

Willy B, you came in 83rd overall! Well done mate.
    A club mate's written a script to view the sub 5 hour men's times, I came in 830th, 35:40 down on the winner. That gives me something to work towards for next year!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Lefthook wrote:
    I did see half a dozen people with snapped rear mechs tangled up in their rear wheels / frames seemed an odd thing to see multiple times.....

One of them will have been my nephew. He got taken out by a kid on CS3 the day before, but thought the bike was fine. When he tried to drop it into a low gear at the bottom of Newlands, however, the mech moved into his rear wheel and got shredded. Shame really as he was going pretty well for a big lad and had really wanted to finish it.
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    [quoteA club mate's written a script to view the sub 5 hour men's times, I came in 830th, 35:40 down on the winner. That gives me something to work towards for next year![/quote]

Well done mate. I'm very happy with 274th on that. To be fair I think for us mere mortals the time you end up with for the first 50 miles or so is determined by how fast your group pushed it. I was in black wave D and there were about 7 London Dynamo and a few others pushing the pace all the way to Newlands. From there the group pretty much exploded as the quick guys went off the front leaving the less strong climbers (me) to put together a new group.