London Ride 100

Comments

• willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    ShandyH wrote:
    willy b wrote:
    I've got to say if somebody said the quickest time would be 4:03 i'd have laughed. Still can't believe how quick it was!

Willy B, you came in 83rd overall! Well done mate.

Yeah I know :lol: quite amazed by that tbh.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227

I was in the first group to leave the park. We had a pace car in front. Very Pro! Was a rapid rate down the A102 and as we passed the A13 turn off i mentioned to the guy with me why was we going into the Blackwall tunnel. Of course we shouldn't have been! There were cars travelling through in one lane! What a cock up!

Turned around once and went back through for the 3rd time that day.

Luckily picked up a good chaingang all the way to Newlands. Saddle came loose so stop to tighten this up.

After there was a lonely ride until Holmbury where I picked another group up.

Leith looked like carnage! Anyway the run up to the A25 up the short climb cramp struck.

And that was it from there rode with cramp the whole way back. Again saddle worked loose so stop at the last hub for a mechanic to torque it up.

Picked a very very rapid chaingaing from there and clawed sometime back for all the stops and detour.

Brilliant event a big thanks to all the marshals and those that manned the feed and drink stops.
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    I went round with Mrs Bison, very much a recreational cyclist, and took the single speed to even the odds / help drum up a bit more sponsorship. I was expecting to see a lot more given the number of charity riders, but I was one of just three I saw the entire day amongst a fleet of thoroughbred carbon road steeds and the occasional hybrid...

We were in the final wave (Black V) and at one point were amongst the last 20 riders on the road. We set a steady, cautious pace into Surry, stopping to re-fuel and re-fill, but gradually reeling in other riders and cheering everytime we caught up with a lower letter wave.

Running a fairly big gear (55/20 - 72.5 inches) meant the only strategy for the hills was to attack at a high cadence so, somewhat comically, although we tended to be at a similar pace to everyone on the flats / descents, every time the road pitched a little I ended up flying past everyone. Managed Leith without walking, although I had to stop for a breather on the final steep pitch - at that point I was using my arms more than legs to winch up.

Official time of 07.09, Strava says 06.40 moving including the neutral zone. I think if I'd been 'racing' on the SS a sub 6 would be do-able, but next year I'm hoping to enter with some friends (or have joined a club), take the proper bike and aim for a sub 5.

It was my first sportive so nothing to compare it with, but it seemed incredibly well organised, I loved the closed roads (surreal and fast), and had an amazing day.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    A few KOMs and QOMs lost on Strava as a result.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ments.html
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    willy b wrote:
    ShandyH wrote:
    willy b wrote:
    I've got to say if somebody said the quickest time would be 4:03 i'd have laughed. Still can't believe how quick it was!

I suspect it was quite down to race-craft in the end which would have helped you? I know a chap who was in the top 50 and did it on well under 200w, which considering it was pretty flat shows you how much of an effect knowing how to ride in a bunch will have, he's a fit guy don't get me wrong, but I think a lot of people underestimated how fast you can travel in a bunch!

As I said elsewhere in the pro race they averaged 30 mph for the last 40 miles, obviously there was a huge tailwind, but its fast course. Kind of sad to have missed it as I'd have liked to have a crack at the sprint for the whole experience of sprinting down the mall to huge crowds.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Agent57 wrote:

79 mph? Sounds like satellite BS to me...
    left the forum March 2023
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    4:22 for me. With the first wave being sent the wrong way I believe our club ended up leading out the event along the Embankment and down the A4, did a couple of turns on the front, excellent fun. Sadly a slow puncture required a pit stop atop Newlands after a slow ascent. Lost four minutes there and the pack had disappeared. Solo to Leith, catching and dropping quite a few people trying to get back on to a decent group, arrived totally cooked and did one of the slowest ascents ever. Managed to find a few more people to ride with on the descent from Leith then a very slow Box Hill ascent due to broken legs (a good half minute slower than on the 50 mile 'pootle' on Saturday) before another small group formed on the descent. Massive adducter cramps through Leatherhead almost put paid to the ride but fortunately managed to keep on going, ending up riding with two other guys with quite a gap fore and aft. Great fun smashing it at the front of the trio through Kingston, felt like a crit, lots of cheering. Limped up Wimbledon rise then got caught by a larger group from some club on the run into Putney and ended up finishing with them and the duo I'd been riding with. Couldn't walk once I got off the bike :oops: Great experience, just gutted I punctured and lost the group - so much harder work riding alone - and maybe a 50-miler with the wife the day before wasn't such a good idea for the legs - especially as she decided to smash it up on her third proper ride back from injury.

Hat-tip to Willy B, excellent time.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Agent57 wrote:

79 mph? Sounds like satellite BS to me...

Nonsense! My 43.2 mph KOM sprint up Drury Lane is totally - um - legit, and Strava doesn't at all suck at measuring short segments.
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    edited August 2013
    Anyone know where I finished? Calvin Tucker 4.55.35

Thanks
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    did anyone get caught up in the spill at the bottom of Leith Hill? Sounded a bit grim - broken bones and plenty of blood
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • Southgate wrote:

Thanks

Near Buckingham Palace I believe.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    WarrenG wrote:
    did anyone get caught up in the spill at the bottom of Leith Hill? Sounded a bit grim - broken bones and plenty of blood

A bit delayed, there was a guy being attended to just after the big left hand bend half way down had neck brace on did not look good.... hope he's ok. As above a policeman on top of box hill said there had been tacks in road at bottom of leith hill hope they are not related events.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Just to note Surrey ambulance will stick you in a neck brace if you stub your toe! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • willy b
    okgo wrote:
    willy b wrote:
    ShandyH wrote:
    willy b wrote:

I suspect it was quite down to race-craft in the end which would have helped you? I know a chap who was in the top 50 and did it on well under 200w, which considering it was pretty flat shows you how much of an effect knowing how to ride in a bunch will have, he's a fit guy don't get me wrong, but I think a lot of people underestimated how fast you can travel in a bunch!

As I said elsewhere in the pro race they averaged 30 mph for the last 40 miles, obviously there was a huge tailwind, but its fast course. Kind of sad to have missed it as I'd have liked to have a crack at the sprint for the whole experience of sprinting down the mall to huge crowds.

Ow that would have helped a lot and knowing how to ride in a group. I'm still surprised it was that quick though.
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    From what I saw from the somewhere after Leith to Box Hill, Willy B was riding at the front a fair amount so all the more credit.

Top woman came second overall. 4:03:27. If that's right that is astonishing. The winner beat her by just three seconds. Not sure whether the times have been amended for the wrong turn or not but regardless, that is seriously impressive.
  • keyser__soze
    I thought Lauren Whitmore was fastest girl in 4h31? Press reports seem to think so.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    well i left the pen on willy bs wheel, with another club mate just in front, the three of us leading out the group, got to the timing mat 2nd wheel, and decided fck this i will be out on my arse in about 10mins. so peeled off to the back of the group for a mile or so. Decided to sit up as it was just a stupid pace. Then didnt see another rider for around 5mins.
  • ShandyH
    I thought Lauren Whitmore was fastest girl in 4h31? Press reports seem to think so.

Just checked and the woman listed on the KW forum as the fastest missed out two checkpoints. Next woman down, Gail Counihan, looks like she had a valid time of 4:10.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    FWIW, I do not remember Stratford to Embankment apart from thinking f* this sitting back in the group about a mile in and going for it off the front, then next memory is Northumberland Avenue. Weird!
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • keyser__soze
    ShandyH wrote:
    Just checked and the woman listed on the KW forum as the fastest missed out two checkpoints. Next woman down, Gail Counihan, looks like she had a valid time of 4:10.

Gail Counihan doesn't look very feminine in 'her' photos: http://www3.marathon-photos.com/scripts ... o=RLBK0121 - I suspect she's either given her number to someone else or there's a glitch in the website.
  • willy b
    ShandyH wrote:
    From what I saw from the somewhere after Leith to Box Hill, Willy B was riding at the front a fair amount so all the more credit.

Cheers Shandy. Sorry I didn't hear you properly btw :lol:
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH wrote:

Gail Counihan doesn't look very feminine in 'her' photos: http://www3.marathon-photos.com/scripts ... o=RLBK0121 - I suspect she's either given her number to someone else or there's a glitch in the website.

Yep, granted!
  • spasypaddy
    just had a look at my photos, great one of me crossing the line arms out stretched. might even buy it as a new facebook profile picture!

Dont even look fat in it!
  • cyclingprop
    1161 is the race number... looks like someone gave their number away.
  • ShandyH
    willy b wrote:
    ShandyH wrote:

Cheers Shandy. Sorry I didn't hear you properly btw :lol:

Yeah no worries. Was aware that you were pushing things on quite hard, especially when you reached Box Hill where you just disappeared up the road.... Also aware that you started in pen 'E' (from your number - not many of you left by then). Reckon if you went off in 'A' you could save a few minutes drafting similar calibre riders. This could put you in contention! You might have okgo to deal with next year though!
  • cyclingprop
    spasypaddy wrote:
    just had a look at my photos, great one of me crossing the line arms out stretched. might even buy it as a new facebook profile picture!

I definitely look fat in my finish line pics. Also look like I'm destroyed!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy wrote:

I definitely look fat in my finish line pics. Also look like I'm destroyed!
    i made sure i sat up, straightened my jersey out, and sorted myself out as i came down the mall.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Put the links up :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    Southgate wrote:

Thanks

Near Buckingham Palace I believe.

Haha, good one. Actually, I was so f****ed I'm not sure I knew where I was!
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • cyclingprop
    Anyone got a way of re-watching the red button footage from yesterday?

PS keyron, you want to look at our broken pictures?