London Ride 100

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Sketchley wrote:
    I'm sure if in a group doing 30+mph I could have kept up at least as far as Richmond Park / Saywers Hill

You really should race then, the group speed in a 3/4 at Hillingdon rarely if ever goes above 30mph for any sustained period until the final sprint and they're usually run over the same kind of distance as Olympic Park to Richmond Park on Sunday :)

:0) Thanks. Although I'd drop off on the hills pretty quickly so unless the 3/4 at Hillingdon is flat I wouldn't stand a chance.... I'll have a look at GPS data later to see what I actually did between Olympic and Richmond Parks. I know when I got to Hampton and met the wife just over the bridge I was averaging 18mph but that included Saywers hill where I didn't go very quickly at all and would have been droped by the whole group and never got back on in a race. The reason for the comment above was that most of the way from park to park I was not in a group as I couldn't find one my pace, so I just moved up, sat on a wheel, moved up a bit more etc in an organised group I'd be a bit quicker I think.... Don't know for sure not really done it much...
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Hillingdon is flat enough that the ramps barely count, its not a selective course by any stretch. My last 3/4 race there averaged around 24mph. The difference between a crit race like Hillingdon and the first 25 miles of Ride London will be the surging in the crit race out of corners as you accelerate to keep the wheel of the guy in front, or chase a break, or get in a break again and again and again. Drafting only helps so much with that.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Total time all the way. Stops, enforced or not, are all part of the game. The only time I quote for the marmotte is the elapsed time from bourg to Alpe, including the neutralized descent of the Glandon.

Whoa we had the pace take us the wrong way into the Blackwall tunnel!

I'm defo deducting the time faffing getting back to the original route :lol:

Free entry for you next year then!

Prudential RideLondon Event Director Hugh Brasher said the event had been a fantastic success.
    “We are sure it has inspired countless people both watching on TV and on the route to get on their bikes and enter next year’s event. This truly is legacy in action.
    “There are things to improve upon for next year. For example, the lead vehicle briefly went off route, taking the lead group of riders with it. We apologise to the riders involved and will be offering them free guaranteed places into next year’s event.”

http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/News/Newsroom/More_than_15_000_finish_the_inaugural_Prudential_RideLondon-Surrey_100_s1_p16623.htm

Seems the majority did a faster time than they were expecting, wonder if it was a peloton moving-air effect, closed roads or just a general 'encouragement' factor with riding alongside so many others ?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    It was the peloton moving air effect. I'm surprised so many people are surprised tbh. As mentioned above even the guys in the pro race did tiny watts (for them) to go even quicker.

What happened in the blackwall tunnel then?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    okgo wrote:
    It was the peloton moving air effect. I'm surprised so many people are surprised tbh. As mentioned above even the guys in the pro race did tiny watts (for them) to go even quicker.

The lead group got taken through Blackwall Tunnel as a result of the driver of the lead car going that way. Not clever!
  • sketchley
    Considering I'm an 18stone 41 year old fat bloke, I'm taking a lot of pleasure out of seeing some of the celeb's times. Only 30mins behind a world cup winning scrum half who's probably 6 stone lighter than me, 3 mins behind a former international full back who's also 5 to 6 stone lighter.... 1h15m quicker than Boris! Now I just need to find someone famous I'm happy to have beaten!
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Wahoo I beat Niall Wood (ex Ireland Winger) by 45mins... I'll take that!
    --
    Chris

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    ShandyH wrote:
    okgo wrote:

The lead group got taken through Blackwall Tunnel as a result of the driver of the lead car going that way. Not clever!

Aye it was balls out from the start and I noticed we rode past the A13 turn I turned to a guy next to say surely the route doesn't take into the Blackwall does it. It didn't.

There were cars in the tunnel but thank god I think the tunnel staff had seen what was about to happen via CCTV I suppose and stopped the traffic. The pace car pulled in and we all went off into the tunnel.

I stopped at the top on the south I jumped a barrier and came back but I know a lot went around to the O2 and came back.

Oh well at least I know I'm in next year!!
  • sketchley
    Just uploaded GPS data, depressed now.... Only thing a could find to shout about was the a24 down hill (the fast bit) where I was fastest silly commuter on the day.... Still loose some wait and do a bit more training and I'll be faster next year. Is there a way of telling what my position on the day was?
    --
    Chris

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • sketchley
    --
    Chris

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Interestingly, in the "about" tab theres a link to the split times data :)https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... Wa3c#gid=0

Oh, and it seems only 335 people (in total) did shorter than the full route. Impressed!
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Mike_L
    Mike_L Posts: 28
    Sketchley wrote:

I heard a few times there were up to 20,000 riders & I was one of those who missed out in the ballot.

Wonder what happened to the rest - non-starters ?

Mike
  • sketchley
    The press / media stuff beforehand did say 20,000, the BBC said 16,500 competed on the day (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23565466). The doc linked above ranks the finishing times out of 12,150. Who knows which is correct.....
    --
    Chris

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    theres another 3000 women who finished as well
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Sketchley wrote:
    The press / media stuff beforehand did say 20,000, the BBC said 16,500 competed on the day (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23565466). The doc linked above ranks the finishing times out of 12,150. Who knows which is correct.....
    That's just on the Male tab...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • sketchley
    Ahh the doc has 12150 men and women 2900 women that's 15,050. Still a 1450 short mind.....
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Beaten by 9,293 men ~1,500 women still nowhere near last!
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    There a few above me on less than 100 miles...... So bit higher up than i thought..
    --
    Chris

• cyclingprop
    Ive munged the tabs, created an overall rank, speed per segment and rank per segment... if anyone can upload to google docs (if its wanted), GD is blocked from work
  • spasypaddy
    Ive munged the tabs, created an overall rank, speed per segment and rank per segment... if anyone can upload to google docs (if its wanted), GD is blocked from work
    email it to me at spasypaddy@gmail.com and i'll do it
  • cyclingprop
    On its way
  • spasypaddy
    ive received the email however gdocs appears to not want to just convert it for me direct.
  • cyclingprop
    gDOCS likey massive files eh?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Anyone put together a chart to have a look at the distribution of times? Be interesting to know if there was much bunching around a particular time, or more of an even spread.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cyclingprop
    rjsterry wrote:
    Anyone put together a chart to have a look at the distribution of times? Be interesting to know if there was much bunching around a particular time, or more of an even spread.

Can do that with my sheet - for times, segments and speeds.

I'll stick it on skydrive later given the GDox problems.
  • rjsterry wrote:

This info was posted in the Sportives section

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12935514
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    rjsterry wrote:

This info was posted in the Sportives section

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12935514

Thanks for that. Kind of a lopsided bell curve - I guess that's a factor of all the group riding going on. It does suggest that there is some room for more riders of lower ability, as is the organisers' intention.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cyclingprop
    Heres the file with speeds/ranks per split. http://we.tl/7Lk9ZMWshK
  • Heres the file with speeds/ranks per split. http://we.tl/7Lk9ZMWshK

Excellent, well done.