London Ride 100

Comments

• willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Wonder what BR members we'll see on the TV coverage then :lol:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    chilling wrote:
    So my sister is riding on Sunday with some friends. They live around the Cotswold's and Welsh Borders so haven't had a chance to recce the route at all.

She asked me if I knew anyone who had local knowledge that could give them a few pointers about the route. What would the places they should be careful or wary of, poor roads, tricky descents, narrow lanes etc?

Cheers.
    The route is flat and fairly open until Newlands corner, the first of the 3 hills. It not a long hill but when you hit it, what looks like the top is actually only 1/2 way up so don't go to hard. The descent is open and straight so nice and easy. You then follow a rolling road for several miles until you hit Abinger Hammer and the long drag towards Leith Hill. Its a consistent drag up to the actual climb itself, the roads here are narrower and less well surfaced but nothing too serious. Leith Hill itself is a reasonable climb with several ramps along the way. Take it easy and you'll be fine.

The descent off Leith is one of the two dangerous parts of the course. Its narrow, winding and very dark. I had some mid-strength sunglasses on and could barely see the centre line of the road. Take it easy until you hit the open road again. More rolling road follows to Dorking and then a brief section of dual carriage-way takes you to Box Hill. This is 2.2 miles from the roundabout at the bottom to the top, but the road then climbs again up to Box village itself. Its a rolling road that eventually hits a peak before sloping down gently, followed by a sharp turn back up to Headley Common. Once you come past the cricket ground you know that you've completed all of the hills and only have around 25 miles to the finish and its all flat or downhill from there.

The descent off Box will be steep and narrow in places so again take care. After that its a great run back through Cobham, Kingston, Wimbledon (mind the short, sharp hill up to Wimbledon Village), along Wimbledon Common, down the hill to Putney and then a few flat miles to the finish on the Mall.

Easy really!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    edited July 2013
    chilling wrote:
    poor roads, tricky descents, narrow lanes etc?

Um, that would be most of the North Downs. I think Sketchley mentioned that the road surface wasn't actually too bad now. ETA: If they're used to riding Cotswold lanes, then North Downs lanes shouldn't be an issue.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Thanks Rob. That's just the sort of info I was looking for.

Cheers
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    willy b wrote:
    Wonder what BR members we'll see on the TV coverage then :lol:

11:30-14:00 BBC2
    16:30-18:30 BBC1

"In addition, full live coverage of the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic will be available on the red button."

Four and a half hours of coverage is pretty impressive; I must admit I'm surprised.

What's the official BR gang sign to throw at the telly cameras so we can recognise forum people?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited July 2013
    The decent of leith hill isn't that bad, it'll be easier knowing there is no traffic coming up the hill, the issues will be the road surface when you the twisty bit with the high mud banks on either side, the surface here is broken and bumpy in the darkest bits particuarly on the line your most likely to take (at least when confined to left side of road), it was fun at 35+mph on Sunday but I'll not be flat out on Sunday! I suspect people who don't know it will hit this part panic and hit the brakes hard which to be honest you don't need to do the surface isn't that bad just bumpy slowing gently before this section is better option.... Once your out of the banked bit it's fine. The other problem will be muppets trying to set downhill speed records, they are likely to pass at speed on both sides of you / the road.... If they hit an apex wrong (and they will) they could well end up taking you out. Unfortunately there is no easy solution to this, slowing down means they are likely to try and make the pass which is what you don't want, going flat out might mean you come a cropper round bend with someone who has missjudged it in front of you. My plan will be to descend quickly to stop overtakes while making make sure there are lots of "outs" on and round every bend, I will not be using the whole road. I'll also be watching how the people in front are descending and trying to avoid the ones doing it badly.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Just to warn anyone who wants warning, I'm going to be going nuts on the descents.
  • sketchley
    Just to warn anyone who wants warning, I'm going to be going nuts on the descents.

Me too, although my new mantra of decents are for recovery will be going round my head..... Still I did this on Sunday and still hit 44mph.....
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    I'm the fastest Silly Commuter Racer down leith hill http://app.strava.com/segments/4940222
    --
    Chris

• jonny_trousers
    Sketchley wrote:

Me too, although my new mantra of decents are for recovery will be going round my head..... Still I did this on Sunday and still hit 44mph.....

Good man! I'll be riding sensibly, and won't be taking stupid risks, but I will be going for it. It's one of the few aspects of cycling I appear to be quite good at.
  • jonny_trousers
    Sketchley wrote:
    I'm the fastest Silly Commuter Racer down leith hill http://app.strava.com/segments/4940222

Now there's a challenge for Sunday! To paraphrase Magnus Backstedt on his Cycle Shows ride of Leith Hill a couple of weeks back, the featherlight riders may beat the rest of us on the way up, but it all evens out on the way down.
  • Wrath Rob
    The section to Abinger Lane is the worst bit. After that it opens up a bit (IIRC, I've on'y gone down it once).
  • sketchley
    edited July 2013
    Sketchley wrote:

Now there's a challenge for Sunday! To paraphrase Magnus Backstedt on his Cycle Shows ride of Leith Hill a couple of weeks back, the featherlight riders may beat the rest of us on the way up, but it all evens out on the way down.

Scary thing is I was holding back in places as I don't know the road well enough, I could comfortably go plus 30mph for that segment.....
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Must try harder down newlands http://app.strava.com/activities/70524450#1374718603 3rd in SCR.....
    --
    Chris

• I'm off to Excel late afternoon to collect my riders pack...so I drove in today, first time in 9 weeks.

I must remember when driving that I don't have to go around every little pot hole like I do on the bike, I must look ridiculous the way I drive my car now.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm heading in for about 12 to get mine.

Anyone fancy lunch / pint in the sun?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Think I will be there about 4-4.30.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im going after work, plan to be there about 5. will wander around the exhibition as well
  • Pink carnations?
  • sketchley
    Asprilla wrote:

Yes!
    --
    Chris

• mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    Do you lot not have jobs?
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Dammit, forgot my form thingy. Will have to go tomorrow.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Sketchley wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Yes!

You've got mail.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Hmmmm I need to remember where I put my form and number... Think i'll have to go tomorrow.
  • Wrath Rob
    Sketchley wrote:
    Must try harder down newlands http://app.strava.com/activities/70524450#1374718603 3rd in SCR.....
    I think you could save more time by focusing on the uphill than the downhill ;)
  • Wrath Rob
    I'll be heading over tomorrow lunchtime to collect my pack if anyone wants to meet up for a bite to eat.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Surprisingly painless registration.

Unsurprisingly spotted Sketchley in the pub with Asprilla.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Good luck all, I'm now out of this - deferred entry to next year :(
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    What's in the pack then ??

I can't get there until late Sat afternoon so would be good to know if I need to carry anything back with me :mrgreen:
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    ads2k wrote:
    What's in the pack then ??

I can't get there until late Sat afternoon so would be good to know if I need to carry anything back with me :mrgreen:

instruction booklet with a pack with a body number, safety pins, handlebar number, rider card, other numbers, kit bag. Nothing more than an 14 envelope really