Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    edited August 2013
    Southgate wrote:
    Anyone know where I finished? Calvin Tucker 4.55.35

Thanks
    1686 Tucker, Calvin (GBR) 04:55:35

Sub 5 hour men list at http://cigari.co.uk/2013/08/04/prudenti ... b-500-men/
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Southgate wrote:
    Anyone know where I finished? Calvin Tucker 4.55.35

Thanks
    1686 Tucker, Calvin (GBR) 04:55:35

Sum 5 hour men list at http://cigari.co.uk/2013/08/04/prudenti ... b-500-men/

Thanks mate, appreciated
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    tetm wrote:
    After a 92 hour LEL and 930 miles in my legs already this week I thought I's be taking yesterday easy. Turns out I wasn't allowed to.

Thread hijack - did you ride with James from Caversham?
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I thought Lauren Whitmore was fastest girl in 4h31? Press reports seem to think so.

There were two women I encountered who both went sub 4.30 - Victoria Basquil and Jenny Spencer. The first was sat on the front pulling everyone along and if anyone took a turn would go back to the front. The second would sprint onto the wheel of anyone who went past and wasn't averse to doing a turn on the front. Which was something that couldn't be said about a lot of people in the groups. There'd be a group of 5 or 6 doing turns and you'd look over your shoulder a minute later and there'd be 100 people strung out. Good fun though and didn't really feel nervous other than people finding it difficult to keep a line around a corner - not everyone can have the apex
  • Minor rant, but then all good threads need a rant, don't they? Why did BBC London have to feature pee'd off motorists in their overwhelmingly positive review of the entire weekend? Do they do that when covering the marathon? They spoke to an idiot coach driver who was clearly too stupid to spot that their might be road closures and to plan his route accordingly, and a car of enormous individuals in comedy hats who were upset because they couldn't get to church to do "God's work". By the size of them, "God's work" clearly involved eating copious amounts of cake. I'm sure the Almighty was gutted his worshippers couldn't get together to sing about what a top bloke he is, and all because of the selfish actions of a bunch of cyclists who just so happened to generate hundreds of thousands of pounds for very worthy causes. :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Just spotted this on the Grauniad. A complete data breakdown of one person's ride.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    tetm wrote:
    After a 92 hour LEL and 930 miles in my legs already this week I thought I's be taking yesterday easy. Turns out I wasn't allowed to.

Indeed I did, for three days. Top lad, and a great turn of speed.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JZed wrote:
    I thought Lauren Whitmore was fastest girl in 4h31? Press reports seem to think so.

There were two women I encountered who both went sub 4.30 - Victoria Basquil and Jenny Spencer. The first was sat on the front pulling everyone along and if anyone took a turn would go back to the front. The second would sprint onto the wheel of anyone who went past and wasn't averse to doing a turn on the front. Which was something that couldn't be said about a lot of people in the groups. There'd be a group of 5 or 6 doing turns and you'd look over your shoulder a minute later and there'd be 100 people strung out. Good fun though and didn't really feel nervous other than people finding it difficult to keep a line around a corner - not everyone can have the apex
    Ha, I used to know Vicky from my surfing/snowboarding days. Didn't realise she was into triathlon these days but can imagine her being pretty focussed.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    okgo wrote:
    I suspect it was quite down to race-craft in the end which would have helped you? I know a chap who was in the top 50 and did it on well under 200w... As I said elsewhere in the pro race they averaged 30 mph for the last 40 miles

Raleigh's Rob Britton did the pro race (ave speed 26.5mph) at su- 200w, even if you chop the neutralized section off his ride. http://app.strava.com/activities/72249770
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I LOL-ed, check that for an August 4th leader board..

http://app.strava.com/activities/72249770#1419737755
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I was a bit :( at my lowly 293rd, then I put the SCR filter on :). 4th.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jonginge
    iPete wrote:

My best effort on that segment seems to be 1:07:16. And I am not last :shock:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cyclingprop
    JonGinge wrote:
    iPete wrote:

My best effort on that segment seems to be 1:07:16. And I am not last :shock:

Swift 3 pints at the walkabout?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    okgo wrote:
    I suspect it was quite down to race-craft in the end which would have helped you? I know a chap who was in the top 50 and did it on well under 200w... As I said elsewhere in the pro race they averaged 30 mph for the last 40 miles

Raleigh's Rob Britton did the pro race (ave speed 26.5mph) at su- 200w, even if you chop the neutralized section off his ride. http://app.strava.com/activities/72249770

Crazy. I think it probably wasn't all that selective I guess, even though they did 3 Leith hills.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • keyser__soze
    iPete wrote:

Mine didn't match. Still I managed to hold on to one of the Millbank North segments by just 1 second :)
  • Here's a question for you...

Someone I know (friend of a friend on FB) is telling everyone he completed the ride in 6 hours. His chip time was actually over 9 hours.

I know it's unimportant (!) but do you think a moving time is a bit misleading at these sort of events? When Froome's doing a time trial they don't stop the clock so he can have cheese and pickle sandwich and a latte do they!

Yes I know ' it's not a race'!

My moving time was 2 minutes less than my chip time by the way, I took on water twice.

:mrgreen:
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    The moving time is the only thing anyone should ever quote, stopping off and stuffing your face for 3 hours isn't riding a bike. That said why anyone would be boasting about being 2 hours back on the first lot I have no idea :D
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • cyclingprop
    Here's a question for you...

Someone I know (friend of a friend on FB) is telling everyone he completed the ride in 6 hours. His chip time was actually over 9 hours.

I know it's unimportant (!) but do you think a moving time is a bit misleading at these sort of events? When Froome's doing a time trial they don't stop the clock so he can have cheese and pickle sandwich and a latte do they!

Yes I know ' it's not a race'!

My moving time was 2 minutes less than my chip time by the way, I took on water twice.

:mrgreen:

Yep. The time you took is elapsed time not moving time. Next time I'll be a water-only stopper.
  • jonginge
    Total time all the way. Stops, enforced or not, are all part of the game. The only time I quote for the marmotte is the elapsed time from bourg to Alpe, including the neutralized descent of the Glandon.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    okgo wrote:
    The moving time is the only thing anyone should ever quote, stopping off and stuffing your face for 3 hours isn't riding a bike. That said why anyone would be boasting about being 2 hours back on the first lot I have no idea :D

Might have just started riding a bike. To a non cyclist or somebody new into the sport a 6 hour 100 miles is impressive.

As an example when I organised a ride with some guys at work (who are not in anyway cyclists, most didn't own a bike) they were happy with 100 miles in 10 hours :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Wait.. what?

100 miles in 6 hours is approximately a 16mph avg. That's pretty respectable for most mortals you know.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wait.. what?

100 miles in 6 hours is approximately a 16mph avg. That's pretty respectable for most mortals you know.

With 3 hours of breaks mixed in!
  • cyclingprop
    edited August 2013
    Wait.. what?

I'll have you know its 16.6666667mph average. Thats a big difference. (18.67 mph) moving ave.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    16mph moving average for me, 14.8mph total time... happy with that but with a bit of practice and faster starting group I could go quicker. On the ride out to Richmond Park and in fact beyond to Ripley, I was moving from one group to the next at about 25mph, I'm sure if in a group doing 30+mph I could have kept up at least as far as Richmond Park / Saywers Hill. Must upload the GPS data later, got a bit fed up with the GPS after it auto paused at Newlands Corner, where it took me 25min to get 2 bananas, and I didn't realise until half way up Leith Hill. So big bit is missing!

Next year 3 stones lighter and sub 5 hours........ maybe!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I only stopped to wait for a mate for 10 mins after 40km - so I'm taking that out - if anything the break knocked me out of my stride. It was my first 100 miles and I reckon 6 hours is ok for a 12.5 stone 43 year old. I had plenty left in my legs at the end as well and I reckon I could get it down to 5 hours
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • keyser__soze
    Sketchley wrote:
    I'm sure if in a group doing 30+mph I could have kept up at least as far as Richmond Park / Saywers Hill

You really should race then, the group speed in a 3/4 at Hillingdon rarely if ever goes above 30mph for any sustained period until the final sprint and they're usually run over the same kind of distance as Olympic Park to Richmond Park on Sunday :)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    JonGinge wrote:
    Total time all the way. Stops, enforced or not, are all part of the game. The only time I quote for the marmotte is the elapsed time from bourg to Alpe, including the neutralized descent of the Glandon.

Whoa we had the pace take us the wrong way into the Blackwall tunnel!

I'm defo deducting the time faffing getting back to the original route :lol:
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    tetm wrote:
    tetm wrote:

Indeed I did, for three days. Top lad, and a great turn of speed.

He's destroyed most of my best times round here - nice guy though!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I lost an hour and a quarter on my last sportive due to a snapped chain and having to wait for a new bike - in my mind I have taken that time off although I wouldn't normally.