London Ride 100

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm off three minutes before you and will be wearing a turquoise Bliss jersey. There is a lady Bliss rider in the wave before me who should be waiting and the pair of us are aiming for 5 hours.

Keep an eye out, we share wheels.

I blasted the London bit last year and it was a mistake. Taking it steady this year.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Looking at the forecast now (heavy rain from 3am - 11am) It'll be Castelli nanoflex bibs, arms, overshoes and waterproof gilet. Going to buy a cheap rain cape today to stand in at the start that can be discarded.

Such a shame as the weather will have an impact.
  • asprilla
    I'm going to get wet but the forecast isn't cold.

I'll not be bothering with any waterproofing other than my skin.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Well I've dusted off my passport and I'm heading down south. No idea what I am going to wear - have packed my entire bike wardrobe (or so it seems like), will decide tomorrow. Red and white Trek with green Gatorade bottles, wave D yellow, and setting off at 0650, so if you see me say hi as you pass.

Enjoy the ride and good luck everybody! :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm off three minutes before you and will be wearing a turquoise Bliss jersey. There is a lady Bliss rider in the wave before me who should be waiting and the pair of us are aiming for 5 hours.

I blasted the London bit last year and it was a mistake. Taking it steady this year.

Would be great to get in a group of riders I can trust!! I'll join the line if I see you, Chris. What you riding?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    So, too warm for a Gabba?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • asprilla
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Would be great to get in a group of riders I can trust!! I'll join the line if I see you, Chris. What you riding?

This;

1D16B06C-935C-465E-8B32-A0DBC0FD2524_zpswo38pbnl.jpg

But festooned with bidons (possibly 4 though undecided it I'll look like an idiot).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Can I just apologise as the weather may well be my fault.

I did the wiggle chilterns 100 this year. It pissed it down.
    I did the Etape this year. It pissed it down.
    I'm doing the Ride 100. It's gonna piss down.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    So, warm and wet. Just how I like it.

Kaffenback will come into its own. Just got to change tge front pads and its ready. Bring it on Bertha.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Asprilla wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

This;

But festooned with bidons (possibly 4 though undecided it I'll look like an idiot).

Those rims look new... they won't tomorrow evening... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

This;

They will look exactly the same tomorrow evening; those are on the TT frame. I'm using the black powertap pair you built tomorrow. ;)
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Asprilla wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

This;

Rims might not look like new by tomorrow, but maybe the rain will spruce up that bartape a little! :wink:
  • mroli wrote:
    We're off at 7.30 on the blue Peugeot tandem with the ladyback. If we catch any of you (we'll be wearing blue and white "George Oliver Foundation" tops) you shall be very very ashamed. Say hi if you catch us (and give us a wheel for a bit!)

I'm off at 7.30 - Yellow F - on a black/red/white Fuji with discs. I suspect you will be the easier to spot! :lol:
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Hanging around for an hour in the pouring rain with no shelter isn't going to be a lot of fun. I don't normally do rain.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Black bags. Just take a black bag and wear it. No point disposing of even a cheap rain cape.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Black bags. Just take a black bag and wear it. No point disposing of even a cheap rain cape.

100%

2 black bin bags packed in our bag ready to make ghetto capes.
  • At Excel. Wiggle is doing a roaring trade in waterproofs and overshoes! :p
  • ugo.santalucia
    At Excel. Wiggle is doing a roaring trade in waterproofs and overshoes! :p

They came with carbon wheels, they ended up selling waterproof capes... :lol:
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    At Excel. Wiggle is doing a roaring trade in waterproofs and overshoes! :p

They came with carbon wheels, they ended up selling the bags they were packed in... :lol:

T,FTFY.
  • ugo.santalucia
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Just read theres a good chance they are shutting Leith Hill and Box Hill tomorrow due to safety/weather. Will be diverting past so the route wont be 100 miles.
  • I hope that's not true ..
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I hope that's not true ..

That is what the email said. If so I might just stay in bed and go on a club run.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Just read theres a good chance they are shutting Leith Hill and Box Hill tomorrow due to safety/weather. Will be diverting past so the route wont be 100 miles.

Lol - so they might be closing the only bits of the ride worth riding?!

Seems a bit daft - surely all you do is draft extra marshalls in to help slow peoples descents. With the road closed you could even make cone chicanes. It surely can't be that hard.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nikk51
    nikk51 Posts: 1
    I've just read the email, i take that as they the course won't include Leith or Box hill, so will be a flat 80 miles in the rain. Sod that I'm going to withdraw on the injury/ilnness form and defer entry to next years race which will hopefully be dry! Thats not the route I signed up for.
  • It says they 'may' - If the weather is particularly poor, we may use a diversion that removes both Leith Hill and Box Hill from the route for rider safety. It is very important, therefore, that you follow all instructions given to you by our stewards and marshals.
    I take then if it is pissing it down in the morning then they will pull them and go with the 86 mile diversion route.
    Shame if they do , but can see why.
    4am wake up call for a flat ride. :shock: :(:lol:
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    The roads round leith hill are a bit crap and steeper than box so I can understand that if the weather is rubbish, however Box Hill is so well surfaced and maintained, as well as not very steep I can't see the point in cutting it.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • ugo.santalucia
    menthel wrote:
    The roads round leith hill are a bit crap and steeper than box so I can understand that if the weather is rubbish, however Box Hill is so well surfaced and maintained, as well as not very steep I can't see the point in cutting it.

That's the way up, the way down at the back has a couple of vicious bends that will surely cause a lot of crashes
  • They've got two diversions set up according to the instructions for those who were unlikely to make it around or wanted to avoid climbs.

I guess they will be able to choose to use either or both of them if the weather is appalling.

I am pondering footwear. While I don't generally mind cycling in the rain, it's usually only for an hour or so. I'm pretty sure the neoprene overshoes will soak through anyhow so is there any point? Admittedly, they'd stop the wind but how cold really is it going to be? Anyone who has done 6+ hours in wet shoes want to comment?

Btw... BBC have updated the 10am forecast to include thunderstorms... lovely.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Because it's warm, I wouldn't think wet shoes will be a bother. You could always put a spare pair of socks in a food bag in your pocket?