London Ride 100

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Dunno? Booked your cape slot?

entered the ballot... the logistics of getting there could be the hardest part

Could I suggest booking the stratford travel lodge or premier inn on rufundable tariff before everyone else does? Or before the rates start going up.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

Getting to the start from the North will still be substantially easier than getting there from inside the enclosed loop.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Asprilla wrote:

Getting to the start from the North will still be substantially easier than getting there from inside the enclosed loop.

Drive to, park up, cycle in....? (find a B&B reasonably close to)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

The roads I'd use to get there are closed from 5 AM so parking and cycling in are out of the question. most of the river crossings are closed too. This year I went to stay with friends in North London the night before. Next year that won't be an option as it's on my friend's birthday.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Greenwich Travelodge is an option too - then scoot through Blackwall or Rotherhithe tunnels.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • sketchley
    Greenwich Travelodge is an option too - then scoot through Blackwall or Rotherhithe tunnels.

Don't go through the Rotherhithe unless they close it to traffic. My journey through there this year involved me trying to hold my breath of 5 mins...... That being said next year I'll get mrs sketchley to drive through the tunnel and drop me on the other side. Absolutely no reason not to based on this years evidence..

p.s. £100 totally refundable at Stratford Premier Inn the night before.
    --
    Chris

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

The roads I'd use to get there are closed from 5 AM so parking and cycling in are out of the question. most of the river crossings are closed too. This year I went to stay with friends in North London the night before. Next year that won't be an option as it's on my friend's birthday.

I rode along the roads that were shut and was one of many cyclists, I don't think they care that much as long as you are not interfering with the actual event, i.e. I cycled down Portsmouth Road to Esher to watch it, got no hassle, then did a small stretch back the same way after the first few groups had gone and got shouted at, so at that time of the morning I can't see it being an issue.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • I wonder if you stand less chance of getting in next year if you selected the drop down that said you rode it this year?
  • sketchley
    I wonder if you stand less chance of getting in next year if you selected the drop down that said you rode it this year?

Not sure, some people seem to do the marathon ever year. Same people organising. Edit: That 2014 Marathon Ballot closed after 11hrs!
    --
    Chris

• Sketchley wrote:
    I wonder if you stand less chance of getting in next year if you selected the drop down that said you rode it this year?

Not sure, some people seem to do the marathon ever year. Same people organising. Edit: That 2014 Marathon Ballot closed after 11hrs!

A lot or runners get 'good for age' places; that and charity places etc.

Would be interesting to know if there is any logic to the Prudential ballot.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I'd completely forgot about this, I made the ballot in time.

I live in North London BTW, Plenty of B&B's round this way KB, if you get in and fancy North
    London, give me a shout.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • asprilla
    This is what a bike thief looks like:

RideLondontheft---pixelated.jpg

He stole someone's Madone from Green Park on the Saturday before the ride but because he had a number on the front of his bike the event photographers took pictures of him.

Fucker.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... mera.html#
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Ooops, I appear to have applied for next year. Have to make sure we don't book our holiday for the same time.
  • sketchley
    Asprilla wrote:
    This is what a bike thief looks like:

RideLondontheft---pixelated.jpg

He stole someone's Madone from Green Park on the Saturday before the ride but because he had a number on the front of his bike the event photographers took pictures of him.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... mera.html#

I'm sure there's a better resolution picture of him than that. Hopefully they'll catch him.
    --
    Chris

• Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    I've applied despite my longest ride being 14 miles. Crumbs. Mind you, have best part of a year to get prepared if I happen to get in.

May need lots of hand holding on here!
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Blandiblub wrote:
    I've applied despite my longest ride being 14 miles. Crumbs. Mind you, have best part of a year to get prepared if I happen to get in.

May need lots of hand holding on here!

100 Miles is more mental then physical.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Sketchley wrote:
    I'm sure there's a better resolution picture of him than that. Hopefully they'll catch him.

Apparently there was, but would have involved buying the full digital downlaod pack...
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926

Suppose I didn't get in then
  • JZed wrote:

Where are you looking for that?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    also didnt get in.

i will never get a place in a sporting event via ballot. its quite simple.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I did get in - my wife didn't ... but I can't do it anyway as we've booked a family gathering that day ... arse!
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    JZed wrote:

Same here- didn't get in!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Slowbike wrote:
    I did get in - my wife didn't ... but I can't do it anyway as we've booked a family gathering that day ... ars*!
    can i do it for you?
  • Is this by postal notification or can I tell online?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    I did get in - my wife didn't ... but I can't do it anyway as we've booked a family gathering that day ... ars*!
    can i do it for you?
    I'm not sure what the process is for cancelling a place - I'm waiting to find out - if I can't (and the family do isn't rescheduled) then you're first in line .. :)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Is this by postal notification or can I tell online?
    https://regonline.activeeurope.com/regi ... ionExist=1

Hrm, I must be missing something. That just takes me to a page that says "To contact someone regarding the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 please call - 0207 902 0212". Or was that the point?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • spasypaddy wrote:

Thanks. Well it's not asking me to log in or anything on that page so maybe it still has my details logged somewhere. I can't see the word 'cancelled' anywhere so perhaps I'm still in with a chance. Or the website is working properly for me!
  • Agent57 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Hrm, I must be missing something. That just takes me to a page that says "To contact someone regarding the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 please call - 0207 902 0212". Or was that the point?

Posted at the same time. Yeah that's what I'm seeing.