The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Lefthook wrote:
    Anyone know what glue or other method can be used to re attach the bottom bracket cable guide to the frame. Was washing the bike and it just detached!

Mine came off a little while back and tbh I just pushed it back in, it's held in place by cable tension now!
  • markhewitt1978
    Lefthook wrote:
    Anyone know what glue or other method can be used to re attach the bottom bracket cable guide to the frame. Was washing the bike and it just detached!

Mine came off a little while back and tbh I just pushed it back in, it's held in place by cable tension now!
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    new Ksyrium Elite wheels on my CR1 SL, plus added new stem,seat post and bars last year - groupset went on year before if I remember correctly. I had thought about getting a Synapse to replace it, specifically for the renowned comfort of the Cannondale, but the CR1 is a fantastic bike and far too good to change.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76931429@ ... ed-public/

shamefully, I can't work out how to put the photo up.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    indyP wrote:
    new Ksyrium Elite wheels on my CR1 SL, plus added new stem,seat post and bars last year - groupset went on year before if I remember correctly. I had thought about getting a Synapse to replace it, specifically for the renowned comfort of the Cannondale, but the CR1 is a fantastic bike and far too good to change.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76931429@ ... ed-public/

shamefully, I can't work out how to put the photo up.

Yes, great bikes. Mine just got me around the Longleat Lionheart in decent shape. No wind so used my 50mm carbon wheels and new Open Pave 25mm tyres. Brill. Now I just have to learn/practice climbing a bit better as it certainly ain't the bike holding me back! Was also thinking of a Synapse but not after today :)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    weighed my SL today and taking off the pedals (260g) bottle cages x 2 (80g) garmin out front mount and pump mount (50g) comes to 7.1kg / 15.65lbs with 105/ultegra groupsets and heavy 25c Vittoria open pave tyres

not bad also considering it has alu bars & seatpost
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Also posted in the Workshop forum...
    Hi all. Given I can't get my Scott to ride "softer" with bigger volume tyres due to lack of frame clearance I thought I might try a Canyon VCLS leaf Spring seat post. Trouble is they only come in 27.2mm diameter and my frame takes 31.6mm I think. I also remember reading the various info / warning tags that were attached to the frame when I built it up and distinctly recall one saying "Never use a spacer or shim in the seat tube". Short of invalidating the warranty, what other issues might there be?
    Is anyone successfully using a reducer shim in their CR1, or Foil, frames?
    cheers

Was still toying with the idea of the Ergon leaf Spring Carbon seatpost on my CR1, but according to the FAQs from the Ergon site it can't be used on a larger diameter seat tube:
    "Q: My bike as a 31.6 seat tube. Can I shim the CF3 to fit?
    A: No. The CF3 cannot be shimmed to fit larger diameter seat tubes. The seat tube must be 27.2"

Darn. Might stick one on my Crosslight though....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Anybody else that uses the CR1 regularly noticed that the inside cup of the rear dropouts which is all carbon is starting to look a little chewed up? Can only assume that dirt gets in there and slowly grinds away. It's not bad enough to throw the wheel out of alignment but it's a bit worrying. Think i'll have to remove the back wheel and clean the surfaces after every ride to prevent it getting worse. :shock:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • markhewitt1978
    I keep looking at the likes of the Canyon Ultimate CF and Endurace CF, but keep coming back to that fact that the CR1 is so good they wouldn't provide me with any improvement! Although I could do with a bike which is a bit shorter in the top tube than the 53cm of the Scott CR1 (52cm model)
  • a_to_the_j
    a_to_the_j Posts: 193
    @konkordski

mine did throw the wheel out of alignment, which then wore the carbon on the inside stay (something i only discovered when the tyre wore threw and blew) - it affected the strength of the stay that the frame was not worth the repair bill as scott would not honour the warranty as i was 2nd hand owner...., i did a bit of research, a known problem as i understand it....
    see my pervious posts in this very thread.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Hi guys, after some new tyres.

Refusing to risk 25's on the rear, so was thinking 23 at the rear, and 25 at the front, good idea?
    Clearly run them at different pressures, probably 100/90 psi.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • a_to_the_j
    25's ran fine on mine all round - contis.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    25's on narrower rims will usually fit ok. Wider rims not
  • itboffin
    Daniel B wrote:
    Hi guys, after some new tyres.

Refusing to risk 25's on the rear, so was thinking 23 at the rear, and 25 at the front, good idea?
    Clearly run them at different pressures, probably 100/90 psi.

depending on the tyre brand most 23-25 are very very close so yeah should be fine
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've been running 25mm Michelin pro4 sc on mine, but last week I had the rear wheel out to discover some gouging on the inside of the chainstays so I need something narrower on the rear. Going to try a 25mm gp4 seasons as a temporary fix since they come up smaller than the michelins
  • a_to_the_j
    make sure that the wheel is sitting in the middle , and then check it again after riding - there seems to be a growing problem of the rear drop outs wearing out and not clamping the wheel so it goes out of alignment - thats what happened to me and knackered the seat stays..........
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    a_to_the_j wrote:
    make sure that the wheel is sitting in the middle , and then check it again after riding - there seems to be a growing problem of the rear drop outs wearing out and not clamping the wheel so it goes out of alignment - thats what happened to me and knackered the seat stays..........
    Ditto. Though I caught it before the gouging started.

Scott were utterly useless with offering a suitable replacement, even though there was no argument about it being a warranty issue.
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    patrickf wrote:
    a_to_the_j wrote:
    Ditto. Though I caught it before the gouging started.

Scott were utterly useless with offering a suitable replacement, even though there was no argument about it being a warranty issue.

I sent my frame back to Westbrook for the above and they denied any issue! and said everything was within tolerances. Have to reseat the rear wheel every ride. This issue combined with the bb cable guide falling off and the finish on one of the cable stops on the top tube coming off has taken the shine of the frame for me.
  • a_to_the_j
    Aye. Scott dealer would not look at me because i bought it second hand even though i also had all receipts and it was only 2 years old. originally westbrook frame, contacted them with no luck either. I looked on the net and seems quite a few people, not just uk, having these issues...
  • keef66
    Well my dropouts are still spot on and the wheel sits exactly central. The scrapes to the inside of the chainstays are near enough symmetrical, so I'm hoping all I need is a narrower tyre...
  • daniel_b
    Cautiously mine seems to still be spot on, as does my gf's Contessa, though the latter has had much lower mileage.

Speaking of which, we took them both out for their first ride of the year yesterday, and what a pleasure it was :-)
    My new layback seatpost was a good choice.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    I have ran 25mm Open Pave and 26mm Panaracer Gravel Kings on 23mm Archetypes no problems
    Now have 25mm IRC Roadlites on 23mm Hunt Wheels. So far no problems.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • itboffin
    Daniel B wrote:
    Cautiously mine seems to still be spot on, as does my gf's Contessa, though the latter has had much lower mileage.

Speaking of which, we took them both out for their first ride of the year yesterday, and what a pleasure it was :-)

they stay in remarkably good condition when not ridden, much like my mint condition 2013 Cervelo R5
  • markhewitt1978
    Been running RS80s and GP4000S 25mm (which run big) on front and back for a few years now. No problems.
  • keef66
    Well I'm not taking any chances, and now have a 23mm Pro4 SC to go on the back. Think I'll need to fill the existing gouges with something so I can tell if it's still happening. Car body filler OK?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    keef66 wrote:
    Well I'm not taking any chances, and now have a 23mm Pro4 SC to go on the back. Think I'll need to fill the existing gouges with something so I can tell if it's still happening. Car body filler OK?
    If the tyres are still rubbing, you should see some wear marks on the tyre logos.

On my CR1, the rear wheel sits a bit nearer to the non-drive side chainstay. I've tried 25mm GP4000s, Pro 4 SC, and latterly, Rubino Pros, but they all rub to a certain extent. I'm going to go back to 23mm Pro 4 on the back and 25 on the front.
  • keef66
    bobones wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    If the tyres are still rubbing, you should see some wear marks on the tyre logos.

On my CR1, the rear wheel sits a bit nearer to the non-drive side chainstay. I've tried 25mm GP4000s, Pro 4 SC, and latterly, Rubino Pros, but they all rub to a certain extent. I'm going to go back to 23mm Pro 4 on the back and 25 on the front.

That's exactly what I'll have on mine tomorrow
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

they stay in remarkably good condition when not ridden, much like my mint condition 2013 Cervelo R5

You're not wrong. I noticed that the dropouts on my CR1 are indeed showing no wear whatsoever.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    Hi folks. Unfortunately dropped the bike at the weekend and the shifting is out. Wasn't that bad-more of a fall. When you look at my mech cage from the back it doesn't look parallel with the cassette. I've tried several times to get the gears to index but I can either get the top half of the block right or the bottom.. not both.. possibly thinking I've bent the hanger.. and it looks non replaceable.. any ideas?
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2016
    It's very much replaceable, and or you can buy a nifty little tool for about £25 to try and straighten it. Google 'rear derailleur alignment tool' or similar.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/x-tools-pro-gear-hanger-alignment-tool/rp-prod122319

Wiggle have one for £22, but out of stock for 5 weeks or so.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Having constant issues with the headset. It's been replaced a couple of times mostly due to the bearings going but then the steering gets 'stiff' again pretty quickly. This time it's creaking all of the time, you can't make it to it on the stand or stopped but when riding it's pretty constant.